What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

After 50 years in my old house, DH and I bought a new to us house.  We started moving last week and I'm still looking for items that I know I packed.  If hubby packed any boxes, I don't have a clue where to locate them or what he put in them.  It may take me to Christmas to find everything.  We downsized and are in the process of remodeling a couple of the rooms.  One bedroom will become the new bath and the old bath (which isn't much bigger than a postage stamp) will be a laundry room.  Our biggest challenge has been to locate a general contractor.  The first one we contacted is keeping us dangling and delaying answering our questions.  The second one is due to come to the house next week to give us an estimate.  

Good luck with that! We made arrrangments to renovate our kitchen last summer with the expectation of beginning work this july. We made materials down payment in December.  Contractor did not return messages. When he finally did it was February, and he told us 1/3 down payment with him would lock in a date, and he was now booking for october. And this was the only contractor who even retruned calls when we were getting estimates! 

I feel your pain, Gayle.  Trying to get repairs to #3's house has been a major PIA; the next door neighbor/ realtor has a buyer who wants to do his own repairs, FINALLY!  And don't get me started on lawn service people!

Hi again, Everybody!  I haven't forgotten you all, it's just that life gets in the way! Our newest news is that a little furball has joined the family. She's a purebred Shih Tzu, now 8 years old. Her BFF man died when she was 5 years old and his widow was having trouble taking care of a dog by herself. Her health is failing and little Miss Ginger was always in the way, and being kept in a small, overheated apartment. Through a mutual friend we were able to adopt her.  We've had her about 18 months now and she is just the sweetest thing, and incredibly intelligent. It didn't take her long to adjust to new humans and a new house - big enough for her to zoom from one end to the other. When we lost our dachshund almost 30 years ago I swore I'd never have another dog. Hurts too much to lose them. But Miss Ginger has brought us a lot of joy. 

• 3 months later...

See Mini Man's post. They are working on the badges. He said not to worry if yours isn't accurate. They need to go back to adjust settings. I had a one-year badge at first. Now I'm a Grand Something-or-other. 

Edit: Your badge is now Proficient. Whatever that means. lol

Edited by KathieB

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The last time I had badges was in Girl Scouts, and I worked my a** off for each one.

You worked you a** off for these badges, too. You were just having so much fun that you didn't realize it. :D Nevertheless, I see no need for gratuitous rewards for participation.

• Like 1

It's not the same.  I wanted the badges I worked so hard for.

On a happier note, yesterday the hubs & I & The Kid got up at 0600 and spent the day road tripping up to Opp, AL, for our annual "Scarecrows in the Park" fix at Frank Jackson State Park.  All the old, ragged-out, weather-ruined ones had been removed and new ones have been put in place.  Age and a nasty fall last month confined my hike through the park to the Magnolia Trail, where no scarecrows have been placed yet.  This trail circles the picnic and cabin area and is a 1/2 mile of lakefront magnolia trees and conifers and yaupons and some truly gorgeous habitats.  The lake's turtles were staying in the water and all the other reptiles were staying out of sight and warm in their burrows, as it was too cold for any of them except on the asphalt of the parking lot. 

Afterwards we drove down from Opp to Crestview, FL, and spent the rest of the afternoon hitting all the thrift stores between there and Milton, FL, with a supper stop at our favorite Shrimp Basket.

• Like 1

We have Rainbows (age 4-7), Brownies (7-10), Guides (10-14), and Rangers (14-18)  in our Girlguiding units. I volunteer as a Rainbows helper, Allana is in Brownies, Natasha is in Guides, and boy do we treasure our badges! Sad I can't earn the official program badges as I do them with the Rainbows, but love earning the event and extracurricular badges for my blanket! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got into town today after almost two weeks of being snowed in. My little area outside looks like a tornado hit it. As soon as the snow is gone, I'm going to drag my canopy over to the cemetery (where I throw everything that needs to be carted off to the dump) and then I'm going to check out my arbor and see if it's salvageable. The snow was piled high on my plants and I threw out a ton of birdseed on it. Today I noticed that the snow has all melted (on the plants - my yard and driveway still have a ton of snow) and the seed is now lying on top of the dirt. Guess who's gonna have a million little bird seed plants growing next spring.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been some week. My dad fell and ended up getting brain surgery. Because of that major storm in buffalo he was discharged the Thursday after Christmas instead of the Thursday before. The nursing home wasn't ready for him so I ended staying the whole day until I felt I could leave him. During the storm I had my mom stay with us so I didn't do any mini work or grade papers for school. This past Friday I was scheduled to take my son's girlfriend to her baby doc appt. She tells me her water broke. Six hours later I had a new grandson! He's so cute! Today was the first day I could work on minis during a 9 day vacay! Been very busy! Hope you are having a good 2023!

rsz_20221230_210319.jpg

• Like 2

What a busy week! Best end to 2022 and a great distraction to start the new year with 🤩 

Allana (9) has gone back to school today, Natasha (11) goes back tomorrow and Chivs (38, hubby, teacher) goes back Thursday and us busy marking. Do you still have some days off Jess, or are you back now too? 

I have the rest of the week off from work, and am very nervously going to have a chat with a different company, seeing what my options are out there in the pharmacy world. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had cleaned up my shed in anticipation of Lisa bringing over her huge dollhouse. I was very happy that everything fit but then realized the next day that I left two bikes out.

So today I went out and rearranged the shed yet again and this time brought the bikes in. Lisa is sort of downsizing and brought over some tubs of miniatures she's letting go. Naturally, I am the world's biggest miniature hoarder (I think) and I just went through both tubs and kept just about everything. So tomorrow I get to go out and rearrange the shed again to fit the tubs back in. 

Plus she left me about 100 magazines. I don't even know where...

• Like 1

Hi, everybody.  Life keeps marching along here in Nebraska. We've had a delightful 5" of snow today. Last night we celebrated our granddaughter's 18th birthday. Time flies! Seems like just a little while ago she was an 11-year-old building a dollhouse with Grandma. 
Our little Shih Tzu, Miss Ginger, continues to delight us. So much personality in such a little body! Tonight she wanted to go outside to do her business so I took her out to the back porch and opened the door. She went down the steps and landed belly-deep in snow. She raced over to the shelter of the garage, did her business, and zoomed back into the house. :) 

• Like 1