heidiiiii

What are you up to today? This week?

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

Is that a dh or real house?

My real front porch, for settin' on! I cut up an old acrylic blanket to make the batting. The square blue footstool is filled with styrene beads from a similar footstool I never really liked. Since too many beads flew out all over the carpet, I used packing peanuts to fill up the gap. Waste not!!

Grazhe, considering it's YOUR house, I understand the confusion!

On 7/4/2020 at 8:21 AM, havanaholly said:

Easy peasy, Jess.  We split the squash in half and I scoop out all the seeds whilst preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.  I lightly salt the cut surfaces and sprinkle them with a bit of cinnamon and lay them cut side down in a 6" X 10" biscuit pan coated with either melted butter or olive oil (I use because both the hubs &  I have high cholesterol) and bake it for half an hour, then let it cool and prepare the filling, which for me is just shrimp, seasoning mix (diced onions, sweet peppers and celery; what Cajuns refer to as "the trinity") and bread crumbs and a hefty dash of Tony Cachere.  How much of each I have to sort of eyeball, because it depends on the size of the acorn squash, but I pack those halved just as full as they'll hold so I sometimes whisk and egg and mix that into the filling.  It's the way I fix eggplant pireaux, only if the eggplants are much bigger I add a few petit peas to the filling.  To stuff the squash I turn them cut side up and gently compress the halves and scoop filling into the halves more or less evenly whilst the oven preheats again, this time to 350 degrees F.  I sprinkle a few more breadcrumbs over the tops and pop the pan into the oven for a half hour, until the shrimps are done and the breadcrumbs and nice and crunchy,  Let them rest a few minutes if y'all can stand it (the smell will drive everyone nuts).  Serve with rice and a light salad and mange tout!

Thanks for sharing!

You're mightily welcome.  BTW, I don't use cinnamon for the eggplant pireaux; the hubs & I happen to like what a slight touch of cinnamon does to the flavor of the acorn squash.

Since you have so many, another thing I make with those baked halves of acorn squash is soup.   No cinnamon, I scoop all the pulp out of the shells into my processor along with a tablespoon of minced garlic and a handful of toasted pine nuts and whiz it smooth and serve it warm.  We had some the chef at a little restaurant in Cedar Key had experimented with and used us as taste-testers; the restaurant is no more because the chef retired, but we think of her every time I make it.  I do use butter to bake the squash for this soup.