What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

SO happy for you Muriel and what a future husband huh? Really thoughtfull as well as imaginative, extra bonus! :yes: Congratulations and we are looking forward to hearing a lot more about it.

Hugs

Congratulations, Muriel. That was so sweet of him!

Beverly, I think the link is posted in the pinned topic in the General Forum of DIY links, but there's a site with 1:12 Mission bedroom furniture you could print off & try reducing 75% to make up. You DO work small, my friend!

DH & I spent yesterday in Dothan, AL, checking out the thrift stores. I posted some of our finds in the General Forum, and I'll let everyone know when I get pictures, but we found a huge stash of $Tree furniture (the stuff with working drawers & doors & hideous flocked upholstery).

It sounds like you scored big time on your outing Holly, looking forward to seeing all the goodies as well. I could only wish there were thrift store bargains to be made like that over here, but I also suspect that when you find something mini around here you hold on to it for ever and ever so to speak LOL

Hugs

I had a little luck at estate sales, thrift stores, and flea markets this week. I went to a huge estate sale near us, and everything was priced way out of range for me as far as reselling it. But I did find some wonderful lace. This lady was a crafter and made lace like crazy. Most of it was not in the right scale, but I found a few pieces that are perfect for dollhouse curtains. And one gorgeous piece of tatting about 2 yds long that looks like it was made for window valances.

Then I went to Goodwill and found a book on sculpting dolls from fimo, by Susanna Oroyan. Some gorgeous dolls, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Yesterday afternoon, my kids decided we should go to the new flea mkt, where I found a teensy tin grater, a blue coffeepot, and a tiny plastic doll with hair, that is just the right size for a dh girl's doll-each for a quarter.

But as far as houses and furniture, I have never found much around here except for one estate sale last summer, before I really got into dh building. This lady was into it big time, and the entire double garage was filled with tables full of her stuff, much of it still in the original packages. I bought quite a bit there, but not as much as I would have a month later! I kick myself every time I think about it, now!

Thanks everyone :lol:

About a week ago all our sockets lost power, and when we checked the fuse box one of the swtiches had tripped. Happened again last night late (both times we haven't plugged anything in or turned anything on in over an hour before they tripped). Chris went to the fuse box. It is down the stairs outside our appartment, and when he got there it smelled a bit. He looked at the fuse box and none of the switches had flicked. Then he thought he saw a spark come from the box. I went and looked, and there's a big hole burnt/melted into the top of the fuse box, and the cupboard is blackened above it! :blink: scary!! So using a long wooden stick I carefully flicked the mains switch onto off and then turned all the others off. Phoned the estate agents on their emergency line at 10 this morning. 4 hours later and they still haven't replied what they're going to do! I told them all our freezer stuff was melting. Then we realised that the socket in the stair way is on another circuit and still works, so we've used all our extension leads to get the freezer plugged in (and while we're at it, plugged in the router too :lol:)

But very scary that something like that can happen - cupboard does look very scorched inside. Could have gone up in flames!

You are very very very lucky Muriel. Phew! Glad you all saw that when you did and it did not happen when you were sleeping.

Today I am going to devote my day to working on the Arthur. Fred is working and taking the car..so I will not be going anywhere today. It is kinda cold out anyhoo.

I bought a couple red platys for the fish tank. The catfish and algae eater are still alive. I bought a different fish food also. Flakes! They wont hang around to become moldy and kill the fish like the last batch.

Other then that, I dont have much planned for this Sunday. Painting is the order of the day.

You might mention the scorching & flames when you call the estate agents back to find out exactly what time you can expect the repairman to sho up to fix it before you have to toss the freezerful of food and compain to whomever y'all get to complain to about shoddy service (they don't have to know about your juryrigged solution to the freezer problem, you oughtn't have had to resort to it).

Muriel ... be careful of the extension cord solution, especially for something so large as a refrigerator. Feel the connections to see if they are the least bit warm. Having averted a fire outside, you sure don't want one to start inside!

Congrats Muriel on your engagement. Today Iam takeing care of sick family members wish everyone would just kick there bugs and stay healthy. I have laundry to wash today and other house work that needs to be done. I really want to just sit and mini all day but havent done that in a very long time. I have the glencroft telling me what it wants to be its words are getting luder each and everyday I tell that house that it will tinme soon not sure when but it will happen.

Muriel, glad you caught the fuse box problem in time! We had something similar happen about a month ago. When it got cold enough to turn our bathroom heater on, the overhead light and vent started flickering. DH decided it was the unit, and was going to replace it.

About the same time, I found an antique wall sconce we had been looking for in the garage. We hung it and turned it on, and it flickered too. It was then that DH realized it was breakers and sure enough, two were turning dark and scorched looking. Scary to think of, and you don't expect that in a fairly young house. Luckily, we have a service contract and got it all replaced within a couple of days. Electrical wiring fires scare me-the whole house can burn if the wiring goes bad!

Well, i can't believe i slept in so late. got up at 9:45. I NEVER sleep in that late unless i'm sick. Still trying to wake up from waking up...lol. As soon as the caffeine makes it's course thru my body i'm sure it will happen. No huge plans for today, i'd like to clean....still doing all of this in preparation of painting. I cleaned out my coat closet yesterday. I think today is dusting and vacuuming day. :blink:

All fixed! I phoned them back and said we thought we'd have heard from them by now and are getting concerned because not only is the freezer food getting to the point of no return (ok, little white lie), but also it is getting dark and we have no light or heating/hot water. We were phoned back soon after that, told they had been trying to get their usual electrician, but he wasn't going to make it after all, so they'd got someone else to come out. He then phoned and said he'd be about 1.5 hours :blink:

Said there'd probably been a loose connection in the fuse box and it had therefore gotten so hot. Was impressed by how melted the case looked! So he stripped the wires, reconnected it all, tightened ALL the screws and said we should be fine. He'll tell the agency tomorrow that the box needs replaced, but there's no danger.

Kathy, we did keep an eye on the extension leads. In the end we only needed 3 as we found a long one, but did keep checking all the connections regularly. It was just getting too dark to see, I'd put the candles on, when the doorbell rang. Least we can cook supper with ease. -->problem living in a village is the lack of pizza delivery places! :lol:

Knitted some more today and made a futon for the dollhouse. Next think I'll be be painting the front door and making bedding/cushions.

I'm glad to hear your power problem's fixed, Muriel, and a white lie is really often necessary to get anything done, unfortunately.

I took EVERyTHING off of & out of my worktable/ desk and it is now ALL over the top of our bed & the bedroom floor and DH is in the livingroom cussing his way through the bowels of my birthday pressie. He's building "subassemblies" and then we're going to carry them all upstairs and build my pretty new oak workbench where the old desk was, and we have the desk and our former entertainment center going over to DS' house this next week. The laundry's going to wait until tomorrow.

Glad to hear the power is back on Muriel! In these cases sometimes one needs to give a slightly worse kind of scenario to get the ball in motion so to speak :blink:

As for me, watching glue, paint and spackle drying... but that also means that in a little while I might be able to try and make that faux water cistern/heater that will be going in the LE Arthur kitchen...

Holly I bet you are looking forward to get that new desk in place, it sounds wonderful!

Hugs

Oh the building hassle will be well worth it Holly. And just tell DH that all his hard work makes your work less hard and you happier :blink: Hope you're going to take a pic or two for us all.

Ooh, just watching antiques roadshow and there's a dollhouse on it! Made with loads of gingerbread and glass panels on the roof. It is very cool. 1880s built (probably) with 1920-1950s dollhouse bits (plus a few more modern made ones). Access is only through a few of the glass panels which open on hinges. Too busy for my liking, but cool none-the-less!

I'll try and attach a picture of the tv screen, but I only thought of it towards the end of the segment, so not such good pics :blink: The guy valuing it said he had about 9 dollhouses at home.

post-2387-1232912087_thumb.jpg

post-2387-1232912107_thumb.jpg