What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thanks, everybody!

It's a slightly sloping property, so I'm looking into how much it would cost to level out the middle and back parts. My big concern now is being able to drive on to it. Right now, it's stable enough to where I won't get stuck, but I don't know what will happen when it rains.

I've been behind a little bit - what happened to Jeannine?

19 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Thanks, everybody!

It's a slightly sloping property, so I'm looking into how much it would cost to level out the middle and back parts. My big concern now is being able to drive on to it. Right now, it's stable enough to where I won't get stuck, but I don't know what will happen when it rains.

I've been behind a little bit - what happened to Jeannine?

She had surgery & mending seems to be taking its time.  She checked in recently.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018, 10:32:04, Thimble Hall said:

well done Kelly, my pom pomss are flying for you.

I am very very thrilled to say for just an hour each day for the last three days I have managed to get comfortable enough to work on my big English house.As I have been unable to do any minis since my surgery in May this is a great step forward for me. Hopefully if this continues I may be able to sit in car long enough to get over the line and mail the several things I have for some members  that have had to be shelved.. Doing that hour was a much bigger thing than you may think. I was actually planning to let all my mini stuff go as I was quite sure I would never be able to do them again, but I am sort of hopeful now, this sorta why I have been off the forum a lot. I didn't feel I had anything to share.

Thank you, Jeannine, my head must be up in the wild blue yonder. I didn't even see your post. Lashes with a wet noodle for me.

I know what it's like to not be able to work on anything. I'm so glad  you came through your surgery and are feeling a little better now. But just get some rest. Your body will tell you when it's time to start moving again. And keep the minis. I fully expect you to be working away full time on then sometime in the future. {{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

On 10/20/2018, 10:32:04, Thimble Hall said:

well done Kelly, my pom pomss are flying for you.

I am very very thrilled to say for just an hour each day for the last three days I have managed to get comfortable enough to work on my big English house.As I have been unable to do any minis since my surgery in May this is a great step forward for me. Hopefully if this continues I may be able to sit in car long enough to get over the line and mail the several things I have for some members  that have had to be shelved.. Doing that hour was a much bigger thing than you may think. I was actually planning to let all my mini stuff go as I was quite sure I would never be able to do them again, but I am sort of hopeful now, this sorta why I have been off the forum a lot. I didn't feel I had anything to share.

Jeaninne So thrilled to see you hear.  You are such a wealth of information.  Ive missed you.  Yes I dont post much and am not building now but I do check this forum often. I am happy that you are able to a little bit.  Remember baby steps will get you where you need to be

On 10/16/2018, 4:46:41, pdlnpeabody said:

Two days after interviewing for a job, I was offered the position.  I start on November 1. 

Jeremy

YAY  such good news to hear

Kelly - the land looks beautiful!!  You must be so chuffed to be able to go out to YOUR place - it must be extremely satisfying!  Very exciting!So lovely how the sun comes through the trees...Does it snow there in winter?  I'm hooked on watching all the tiny house programmes!!

Miranda - so glad Bacon is coming right!  We love our furbabies so much, very important members of our families..

Jeannine - so pleased for you, finally being able to do some work on your minis!  I agree with Karin, you have so much knowledge to offer, I hope you stick around! 

1 hour ago, Shareb said:

Kelly - the land looks beautiful!!  You must be so chuffed to be able to go out to YOUR place - it must be extremely satisfying!  Very exciting!So lovely how the sun comes through the trees...Does it snow there in winter?  I'm hooked on watching all the tiny house programmes!!

Oh, yes, it snows. It's at 400+ feet elevation. Not very high, but high enough. I originally lived in a small manufactured house around the corner that I had put on land back in 2003. That winter we had 15 inches of snow in two snowstorms a couple days apart. The first day I got to work following in the tracks of some SUVs. The second storm just blanketed the road and you wouldn't even know there was one there. I gave up and called in for those three days.

The sun was coming through the trees because it was 4pm. You can imagine what it's like living there in winter. Once December comes along, I'll be lucky to see the sun at all. That's why I wanted my lot cleared. I want some sunshine in my life. Most of these people build their houses under those trees. I don't know how they can stand it. It must be dark all day long.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Oh, yes, it snows. It's at 400+ feet elevation. Not very high, but high enough. I originally lived in a small manufactured house around the corner that I had put on land back in 2003. That winter we had 15 inches of snow in two snowstorms a couple days apart. The first day I got to work following in the tracks of some SUVs. The second storm just blanketed the road and you wouldn't even know there was one there. I gave up and called in for those three days.

The sun was coming through the trees because it was 4pm. You can imagine what it's like living there in winter. Once December comes along, I'll be lucky to see the sun at all. That's why I wanted my lot cleared. I want some sunshine in my life. Most of these people build their houses under those trees. I don't know how they can stand it. It must be dark all day long.

So you need something warm!!!  I have no idea what it's like to live with snow!  I'm with you about light.  I love trees but equally I love light open spaces - it'll be a real balancing act I guess.  I suppose once you've had the lot for a year you'll know where you can leave trees and where you need to take them down.  Good on you!  I mean seriously!!  It won't be easy but I bet it'll be completely worth it!!

Thinking about selling my entire collection finished and unfinished . Tudor Coaching Inn, :Antique Cathedral, Over the top house - which is a 1:12 scale castle with turrets, 1::12 scale English manor house and many more, if you have any interest let me know [ planning a move in the next 3 to 5 years ]

1 hour ago, Debora59 said:

Thinking about selling my entire collection finished and unfinished . Tudor Coaching Inn, :Antique Cathedral, Over the top house - which is a 1:12 scale castle with turrets, 1::12 scale English manor house and many more, if you have any interest let me know [ planning a move in the next 3 to 5 years ]

Would an Art Agent have to get involved to advertise these to the right clientele?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sable said:

Would an Art Agent have to get involved to advertise these to the right clientele?

•  
  • medium.5a1075f2129bf_JamesBondinhissmoki
  • Platinum Member
  • 6890 posts

Yes maybe but wanted to start here with a notification.

I'm so cheesed off. Ticked off - Po'd - annoyed are not strong enough - I am cheesed. Once again our mail was delivered after 6 PM, because our mail carrier just can't handle the job. It's too much for her, too hard, there's too many packages to deliver. DH heard her complaining on the phone the other week on another day she was really late - 7PM. She had a package for me on the truck that day too, but chose to just zip down the street past my brightly lit house and not finish her delivery. Amazon was informed that she couldn't deliver the package because she couldn't get into the building. WHAT??? USPS has been delivering my packages to my front porch for the past 20 years. What does she expect it to be like in December if she can't handle it now?

I was expecting an important package yesterday, didn't get it til tonight. It was put on the truck yesterday morning, but according to USPS there was an "incident" at 3:30 PM, so no mail was delivered to the rest of us on the route. Several of us paid visits to the post master about the last debacle. My next door neighbor is sick and tired of going around to neighbors' doors to deliver their mail which was put in his box by mistake on several occassions. He waited by the mailboxes last week to give her a piece of his mind.

OK, I've vented, my neck and shoulders have loosened up a little.

Hopefully the smoke alarms won't go off again tonight. Evening before last they all went off for no reason. Yesterday evening they did it again. After a while they stopped, but 10 minutes later they went off again. After DH managed to find the correct circut breaker to cut power to them they stopped, but at 4AM they went off again. I rushed down 2 flights of stairs - sirens screaming in my ears to flip the circut breaker (I move faster than DH) But it made no difference, they kept blaring away till they decided to stop. We think, however, that we may have found the culprit, the smoke detector in one of the bedrooms. We disconnected it, and if the sirens don't go off tonight DH says he'll go buy a replacement in the morning.

One good thing did happen though. I contacted another bathroom remodel company yesterday, and their guy called back this morning and came over to check out the bathroom so he can write up an estimate. None of the other places I contacted ever got back to us. I hope they do so I can say naner-naner, the job's been done, you won't get any money from me. I sure would like to say that, but I'm too well behaved and polite - darn it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sable said:

@grazhina if the backup batteries are old, even if you have the alarms hooked up to power, they will go off. We found that out last week in my sons condo.

The batteries and smoke detectors were installed 1 year ago today. According to the manufacturer false alarms can be set off by dust inside the smoke alarm, an insect in the smoke alarm, some sort of noise from fluorescent lights, dying batteries or a malfunctioning unit. I checked the unit we pulled off and blew a can of compressed air into it as advised by the manufacturer - no dust, so that wasn't it. So far all is quiet tonight. 

It's only 9:45 and today is already frustrating. I took my dog Bacon into the vet so they could do surgery HE HAS TO HAVE TO LIVE and now they won't do it because they think he has a cold. I get it and I know they are doing this in his own best interest but OMG can we get a break? This poor dog has been through so much and now he can't get his surgery. It's taking a toll on us, too. He can't get up unaided and need to be fed every two hours and have shots and medicine twice a day. We tried leaving him for a couple hours the other day to have dinner with Josh's boss only to come home and find him splayed out in the bathroom covered in his own "mess" because I guess he needed to go and then went to the bathroom and couldn't get back up off the tile floor. I have no idea how long the poor thing was in there like that. We just can't do anything or leave the house and that's frustrating. He's eating well and still seems super happy but the mobility issues from the cancer are just tough. I just want him to be better :(

53 minutes ago, SewMini said:

It's only 9:45 and today is already frustrating.

Oh, Miranda, how sad! My heart goes out to Bacon and your family. Praying this can be resolved very soon.

just an update here. I am over the surgery I had in May but my spinal problem is getting worse and worse very quickly. I can only stand about 5 or 6 minutes now, then then I have to stop. In May I could stand an hour. I am able to sit in an upright rocker  recliner but not on an office chair   which I have in my workroom as the weight on the back of my legs causing my feet to go numb, then I have to stand as best I can and wait for it to pass. I can sit on the office chair for about 45 minutes. I am now on a waiting list to see a neurosurgeon for my back surgery but it is expected to be a long wait. The problem is I am failing generally as I am sat down too long now and of course no exercise i I have tried to  find a private surgeon here to save the long wait time but have had no success  and am thinking very seriously of flying to the Mayo Clinic over your side to see if I can get it done there. I think there may be many places over there but have no idea where to look. If anyone knows I would be grateful. I think the long wait will not come in time for me as I seem to get worse as each week passes, even sitting in the car is almost out of picture now. I cannot reach inside my big UK house to wallpaper so it has been moved off my worktable. I think the only mini I could do would be my Petite Propertes, those I could do in my recliner.. well now you know, it would seem I am on the slippery slope now.

Miranda I am so very sorry to hear about Bacon it makes my problems seem minor, I so hope he gets his surgery quickly.

@Thimble Hall I think you have every right to be disappointed! I can't imagine how painful your back must be and not being able to stand for more than 5 minutes is definitely major.  I hope you can find a way to get your surgery. hugs to you.

In mini news, Maya hates the door I made lol. I think at some point I told her that this would be "her" house so she was quite annoyed that I made a door that looked like it belonged in Elsa and Anna's castle in Frozen. To which I, of course, replied "Oh good! That's exactly the look I was going for!" :D She was not impressed lol. I'm waiting for her to get home so she can hang out downstairs with the dogs while I get some work on the house done. I have all the interiors painted and the windows trimmed. I need to trim the doors and get the stairs put together. Then I should be able to move pretty quickly on getting it all in. I've deicded to just have non-functioning doors. With such a small scale and it being more rustic looking, I'm not so concerned with functionality. I'm sure I'll change my mind 800 times before i finalize the house lol

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

Oh, Miranda, how sad! My heart goes out to Bacon and your family. Praying this can be resolved very soon.

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

Miranda this has to be so frustrating. I am so sorry to hear about your dear Bacon I hope all works out and soon. 

Jeanine ....I am in California and there is a neuron spinal surgeon here Dr. Ali Mesiwala - he is amazing....he was able to fix my then 19 year old sons back so he wouldn't wind up in a wheel chair... if you'd like his information aside from his name, please let me know, Id happy to send it to you.