What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

All my first three IV for iron therapy is over and I had no complications. They will check me to see if I need another round

My daughter in law in Holland who broke both thighs and an ankle a few weeks ago has had another set back. She had got home and gradually they got her walking a little but she is back in the hospital.One of the plates in a thigh has snapped. She has to have a second surgery to fix it.

• Like 2

Have been entertaining a parade of glass repair estimators this morning. The top pane in a double-hung window shattered a few days ago. Inside pane of a double-pane window. It is tempered glass due to its location beside a door. None of them have been able to tell me why it shattered. It is located inside the new screened porch, the most protected window in the house. Nothing hit it. It now looks like a lace-covered panel. Bizarre. Reminds me of the old Memorex commercials: "Is it live or is it Memorex?" with the exploding wine glass. :D This stuff is expensive! 

2 minutes ago, KathieB said:

None of them have been able to tell me why it shattered. It is located inside the new screened porch,

Over here, when stuff like this happens it is usually "Notme" who is the culprit. Have you been entertaining any teenagers?

Here’s what I found:

Spontaneous glass breakage. Spontaneous glass breakage is a phenomenon by which toughened glass (or tempered) may spontaneously break without any apparent reason. The most common causes are: ... Internal defects withinthe glass such as nickel sulfide inclusions.”

Sounds pretty common but bummer it happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Kathie, I suspect some type of stress settlement from the tie-in into the new porch. 

I don't think so. None of the porch construction touches the window wall. 

48 minutes ago, My Miniature Madness said:

Here’s what I found:

Spontaneous glass breakage. Spontaneous glass breakage is a phenomenon by which toughened glass (or tempered) may spontaneously break without any apparent reason. The most common causes are: ... Internal defects withinthe glass such as nickel sulfide inclusions.”

Sounds pretty common but bummer it happened. 

Could be. Made the best sense until I read that this is extremely rare, as US manufacturers rarely use nickel sulfide.

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Over here, when stuff like this happens it is usually "Notme" who is the culprit. Have you been entertaining any teenagers?

Nope. Nary a one.

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

oops. This posted twice ... ~k

The following is the most likely answer, as one of the glass guys was able to pinpoint the start of the crack pattern, which was at one edge.

There are many potential causes for spontaneous breakage of tempered glass. The most common is damage to the edges of glass as it is being pre-cut into panels, or nicks or chips to the edges that occur when the glass is being packaged, shipped, or installed onsite.

While such damage may not be readily apparent, stress concentrations around these imperfections can occur as the glass expands and contracts in response to in-service temperature changes, wind load, building movement, and other environmental factors. Ultimately, when those stresses cause the glass to break, the action may appear to have been spontaneous when, in fact, the circumstances for failure had been put in place months or even years earlier.

15 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

All my first three IV for iron therapy is over and I had no complications. They will check me to see if I need another round

My daughter in law in Holland who broke both thighs and an ankle a few weeks ago has had another set back. She had got home and gradually they got her walking a little but she is back in the hospital.One of the plates in a thigh has snapped. She has to have a second surgery to fix it.

Yikes!  I could barely deal with one broken thigh bone.  I didn't know they're still using plates.  I thought the switch to rods was universal.  I do hope her 2nd surgery is a success.  I am glad your iron treatment went well.

I just spent about an hour trying to fix my latest blog entry.  Apparently I can't upload image files from my PC, but only from other sites, like flickr.  The problem there is, you can't just copy the image, they make you copy the entire page with all the text and code, too.  So several attempts to post the pics and delete everything else is a partial success.  The images are there, but there's text over the images.

I am watching the World Equestrian Games (show jumping) on FEI TV. It's making me crazy.

First of all, I'm a night person and so when do these events start? 9am. Eastern Standard Time. So little old me on the West Coast is now having to get up at the happy hour of 6am. That's usually about 3 hours after I go to bed, so a little adjustment is under way.

It still wouldn't be so bad, but I'm used to shows that have maybe 50 to 55 entrants and run 3 hours, and that's with the time spent singing the Star Spangled Banner, the breaks to rake the rings and rearrange the jumps for the jump off, the jump off itself, and the awards ceremony. If I don't watch any of that (OK, I always watch the jump offs - they're the best part), I can get a 3 hour show down to about 2 hours. About the length of a movie.

So imagine my surprise when I see 124 horse and rider combinations entered and with raking the ring after every 21 horses, they're only averaging about 20 horses per hour. And this is live - no way to skip anything. So after about 3 hours of sleep night before last, I was treated to approximately 8 1/2 hours of show jumping.

Today it was only 8 hours. And there's only 2 more days to go.

But I'm having a blast - I love this stuff. And for those who may be interested, the American team went from 4th to 2nd today, beat out only by Switzerland with Germany coming in 3rd. 122 horses competed today and there were only 5 clear rounds - 1 of those included a time fault. But nobody fell off their horse today. Huzzah!

I'll see y'all in two more days. Right now I have to get some more sleep. Going to bed early last night was NOT a solution to getting up early. Sheesh!

20 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Glad to hear that you had no complications with that Jeanette!  I'm so sorry for your daughter in law - how awful for her, and the family. I hope they get it fixed this time around, she must be in huge pain. :( 

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

And this is live - no way to skip anything.

This is where a DVR is a real blessing. I tend to record several of my favorite programs just so I can watch them when it is convenient for me and fast-forward through the commercials. :) 

20 hours ago, KathieB said:

This is where a DVR is a real blessing. I tend to record several of my favorite programs just so I can watch them when it is convenient for me and fast-forward through the commercials. :) 

I should have explained better - this is called FEI TV, but it's on the computer. I don't know if they'll put these shows in their archive, but if they don't, then I don't have any chance of seeing them again. I shouldn't complain too much - there are no commercials! LOL

But it will be better tomorrow. I think tomorrow are the individual competitors and they're only taking the top 60 of those. On Saturday, they're doing the team finals and only the top ten teams will make the cut. And that's only 40 riders. At least, that's what I think they're doing.

Anyhoo, I just popped in here for a minute before I throw the beans and hot dogs in the slow cooker. I decided to make those tonight and they'll be done by the time I get up tomorrow. Then I can get up at 6 instead of at 5:30.

edited to add: the individual competitors jump on Sunday and the teams went today (Friday). Yesterday the US was in 2nd place following Switzerland, but the US jumped very well today and got the team gold for the first time in 32 years.

OH you guys, cross all your minis for me. I got an interview for a remote position for an international non-profit. It's a legit job (there are a lot of shady remote jobs out there) with Climate Action Network International. Tax issues aside (because I'd be a US Citizen working for a German NGO living in Denmark), this would be the perfect situation for us. I would stay in my field, continue to make money, and be home for Maya as well as Elsa, our aging boxer who has significant health issues and needs medicine 3 times a day. It's a job I can care about which is really important to me. Environmental issues always been near and dear to my heart. I remember when I was 13, I sent a letter to Bush I asking him to commit to saving the rainforests in Brazil. Ah, youth. :D

Anyway, fingers crossed it goes well! Also, fun fact: I actually have on my resume in the personal section that I do miniatures lol. I also added in that I do costume sewing. Perhaps that's why they reached out so quickly. "This lady does minis and sewing? She DEFINITELY has an eye for detail!"

• Like 4

I'm so dishearted. It sounds like it was a bad situation then. I do hope she comes back at some point. 

I got a lot of little things done yesterday on the cafe. I finished up all the pastry components and made the pastry case. A lot of very careful work as I had to cut and assemble these tiny Laduree containers for the macarons and then put the macarons in them. Each container also had a little plaque so I had to cut those out too. I may need to invest in those jewelers glasses soon! I think I only have 3 or 4 pages of stuff left to do. I still haven't glued the top floor onto the bottom as it instructs you to. Mostly because I have no idea how they expect you to be able to access stuff properly. I'll wait until the very end to do that. 

Today we're off for Legoland in Billund. It's a bit of a make up trip because I had to give up my trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter that I had planned to go on back in March to celebrate my 40th (very early lol). We ended up going to Denmark that week instead. It's no HP World but I do love Legos so it will be fun. Thankfully it's only 4 hours away so Elsa, who now has dilated cardiomyopathy but is still doing ok, only has to stay at the hound spa for one night. 

• Like 1

Miranda, good luck on your interview, that sounds great! And have a great time at Legoland! I love Legos too. (The Cinderella castle kit they have is amazing, and did you see they just released Hogwarts? I don't do Harry Potter and don't need another huge Lego castle to find a place for, but I did love building the Disney castle.)

37 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Are your kids coming to the states on your next visit? There’s a Legoland in Southern California.

Nope - we're going to be having an adult trip!  The kids will be 19 & 17 so they'll be home looking after the house and cats!

• Like 1

I think the Legoland in CA is actually a bit nicer. This was fun but Josh and Maya wanted to walked around the park while I could have spent the two days just staring at all the Miniland buildings. They had soooo many cool things. Working locks, trucks that drove along winding streets, whales that sprayed water! Just so much fun to look at. It’s close to the end of the season here so the weather was typically crummy. 

• Like 1