What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

He always comes to me because I'm his cosplay godmother and I charge him basically nothing. :D He's a really sweet young man and we enjoy collaborating together. He's the only person who could have pulled me out of sewing retirement. I love costuming but it's super time consuming and he always asks me to make very challenging garments. I have a love hate relationship with all of them. The construction is always a pain and I find myself cursing his name once or twice mid process while questioning my life choices. In the end though, I've inevitably learned a new skill, added something epic to my portfolio and he blows everyone away at cons with his costume. The joy for me really is just in hearing about how it came off. He told me once that someone who is a Hollywood costumer/seamstress came up and asked about his original Kylo Ren that I made for him. Apparently, she said it was the best one she had ever seen and that it would totally pass on a real set. That, for me, was like winning the lotto!

• Like 4

It IS absolutely amazing Miranda! :eek:  My friend's son and DIL do cosplay, and I am sure that they would also be quite jealous of this!

I spent some time celebrating milestone birthdays this weekend:  my mother turned 85 on Monday and her sister turned 80 on Saturday.  They are the surviving siblings of 8.  There were 47 family members that gathered at the local buffet restaurant to celebrate the occasion. We were happy to see each other again, yet sad that all but these three were gone now. My Aunts and Uncles were a huge part of my life....still hard to fathom sometimes that all of that is nothing but a memory now.  I was certainly blessed to be part of something so special! 

Here is a pic of the sisters....my mother (Left) is telling a cute story of the day her little sister was born.  Oh, and one with her adorable great-granddaughter.  (no- I'm not partial at all!  LOL)

IMG_20180210_105223.jpg

IMG_20180210_103023 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Miranda, that is just amazing!  What an enormous amount of work.  Your friend should be very happy and very thankful, and it sounds like he actually is.  :)  You should be very proud of it.  Love the comment from the Hollywood costume seamstress!

3 hours ago, SewMini said:

Apparently, she said it was the best one she had ever seen and that it would totally pass on a real set. That, for me, was like winning the lotto!

Thats the kind of stuff you cant put a price on.  I really like the coat tails section...really great looking. 

Jackie, you mother obviously enjoys everything & everyone.  Miranda, isn't a compliment like that sort of like winning an Oscar?  That is a gorgeous piece of needlecraft!

Today's tour of the USS Philippine Sea was really great, the crew are obviously & justly proud of their ship and totally enjoyed showing it off to us.  The weather was totally awful (wet & COLD!), so we enjoyed our stop in the helicopter hangar.  Even with my cane I had fun scooting up and down al the ladders going from deck to deck.

• Like 1

Sable, I am so sorry to hear that. I sure do hate things like that to happen. And they don't happen in your area, until they do.

I know kinda how you feel. This past Friday we had two Sheriff deputies and a city police officer shot in my county, next town over. Sadly the officer didn't make it. And his wife delivered a new baby yesterday. :( One of the deputies is still in the hospital, and goes to my mom's church. I hate it of course anytime that happens. But my feelings are kinda hurt, because these were "my" police officers. Just like the high school todays is "yours".

Prayers for everyone with both these tragedies. 

Both of my boys graduated from this high school so it’s very close to home. I’m visiting Vero and the new neighbor grew up in Columbine, CO so it’s comforting to talk to someone else experienced with a similar tragic event.

37 minutes ago, Sable said:

Both of my boys graduated from this high school so it’s very close to home. I’m visiting Vero and the new neighbor grew up in Columbine, CO so it’s comforting to talk to someone else experienced with a similar tragic event.

Here's what's especially depressing to me: that there are so many now who have experienced a similar tragic event and how quickly their ranks are increasing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sable said:

Please pray for the victims, families and our city as it deals with the mass shooting at our high school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland, Florida. Thank you.

My heart goes out to everyone involved, as a principle/head master myself this is also a question closet to My heart. 

Hugs

• Like 1

It’s a long story but there has always been a chemical odor at our Vero house since we bought it new 8 years ago. Finally, we drilled a core sample from the bamboo flooring to realize that the adhesive is the cause. To remove the floor we have to remove the kitchen cabinets, all plumbing fixtures, possibly door trim and baseboards. And all furniture, cabinets and appliances have to be put in storage while they remove, prep and replace the floors. UUUUG!

Had to go get grain and "stuff" today and went with a friend, when we got back home and I was dropping her off she said come in and see this dollhouse someone dropped off at the clothing store, if you like it you can take it home.  I went in and it is a Greenleaf kit, still in the box of Santa's Cottage, looks to be in good condition, I will have to check to see if it is all there but looks like it.  There is also one of those greenleaf furniture kits, not sure it they are quite my style but may be useful in gauging sizes for me.  I think I am gathering dollhouse kits into a stash lol

• Like 2

On 2/16/2018, 8:26:31, Goldenrodfarm said:

Had to go get grain and "stuff" today and went with a friend, when we got back home and I was dropping her off she said come in and see this dollhouse someone dropped off at the clothing store, if you like it you can take it home.  I went in and it is a Greenleaf kit, still in the box of Santa's Cottage, looks to be in good condition, I will have to check to see if it is all there but looks like it.  There is also one of those greenleaf furniture kits, not sure it they are quite my style but may be useful in gauging sizes for me.  I think I am gathering dollhouse kits into a stash lol

Watch out...they tend to enjoy having more and more friends to keep them company :D

Hi Everyone!   I tried to make a come back almost a month ago already and then got the flu twice!!!   I had started a little project and then was knocked out for 4 weeks!   Sheesh!!!    I am determined to get back to my minis soon as I catch up on all the stuff I couldn't get done while I was sick.  
I guess I will go off and try to catch up on what everyone else has been doing.  :)

• Like 1

Last week the icemaker in my fridge quit making ice, and after checking everything out according to instructions I found online, I ordered a new icemaker. A couple days later I found a thawed roll of sausage in my freezer. Also found some thawed Italian sausage, thawed bags of vegetables, thawed rolls, thawed frozen breaded chicken, etc., on the other hand, some things were still frozen solid. Of course I thanked my lucky stars I had room in the freezer in the basement. Today the repairman came and declared our fridge dead and not worth resucitating. My new fridge is coming on Friday - I hope, I hope. I wanted another LG since my poor deceased fridge was always super quiet, no loud compressor whining away. I was even willing to pay extra to get the Korean built model. It seems LG now builds some of their appliances in China. 

Here's a cute picture I found on Vintage Everyday. These ladies were the Los Angeles Miss Cigar Queen contestants of 1937.

Miss Cigar Queen contestants, Los Angeles, 1937.jpg

• Like 1

I feel like it’s cheating since its a premade kit but I had a blast putting this together this weekend.

40371452431_75f4d5e2c7_b.jpg

It’s my last bit of fun for a bit. We finally got the “big email” from Josh’s new company with all the legal things we have to start for our move to Denmark. Now I need to focus on getting the house ready to go on the market. Cue the hyperventilating!

• Like 1

They really are. It also makes me wonder if maybe i should try working in half scale. It was just so much fun making this and it barely takes up any room. There is a Paris Cafe kit that I may order right before we head over to Denmark so I can have something to do when i get over there that doesn’t involve unpacking :D