What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

There have been some spectacular moons this week. My husband has been calling me out to look at them...it is not like him to be so moonstruck???

You are a nurse, so you know how wacky people act on full moons!

I am so grateful that never once during the years I worked at the State Hospital did we have a Super Moon.  It has been awesome to look upon.

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

Yesterday I plowed for 3 hours but it was pretty tough going, before I started I had to shovel through a drift about 4' high in front of the barn, across the yard and to the garage that had another drift as high as the tractor.   There was just so much snow that instead of just pushing it across the courtyard, I had to keep scooping it up and throwing it in front of the tractor.  The entrance  to my driveway was over 6' high and packed from the plow going by, and it is uphill, I was really thinking of giving up the whole thing when I finally bashed through it all.  I never did get in front of the barn cleared out so my car is still stuck inside but my thumb was so cold even with hand heaters I finally went inside and sat on the pellet stove for a long time drinking hot tea.  The cat was a little put out with me that is her space to lay down. I still need a few hours to clear out in front of the barn and around the front of the house, plus over where the pickup is buried in snow.  This morning the hot water to the kitchen is frozen, always happens when we have high winds, but that is an easy fix anyway. 

Barb, I used to have to clear the snow from our long driveway in western PA whenever DH was away. Somehow, every time we had a really big deep snow, he'd be out of town and my shovel and I would be stuck with the job, shoveling uphill all the way. I'm glad I'm not you.:eek: DH & DS have a snow blower they use and they still complain.

15 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

And I'm complaining because here in the PNW, nothing is happening, weatherwise. You guys on the East Cost get all the fun!

Grazhina, how close to the coast are you? I heard that storm really pushed the tides in and broke the high tide record someplace. Are you OK?

Kelly, I'm just over a mile from the coast, and although my neighborhood backs up to a tidal river, we've never had any major flooding of any kind. The beach road, though, wow, do they get rocks all over the street with every storm. Of course, every house on that street is worth at least a million. 

I'm glad you're OK. I was watching video of the tide coming in on one of those little bay towns and you could see the cars all stuck up to the tops of their wheels in the water. This morning I noticed all that water has frozen solid. Unbelievable.

Well earlier I said "I'll just sand and then stain one step and see how it turns out before doing them all". 

I'm sure you know how that turned out for me. I sanded all 8 steps. They previously had carpet on them, and the builders got paint all along the edges and splatters all over them. They've been "raw" for almost 3 years now. We can't afford to have them completely redone, so I'm just going to try and make them presentable. Another thing that has been holding us up is that about half the steps have a large gap between the edge of the tree and the stringer. Large enough to put my fingers in, so too big to caulk, so I'll have to get creative with that. I have some ideas.

But at least now all the treads are absent of paint splotches, so my next project can be to stain a few to see if that will look okay, or if I'll just have to resort to paint. 

16 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Well earlier I said "I'll just sand and then stain one step and see how it turns out before doing them all". 

I'm sure you know how that turned out for me. I sanded all 8 steps. They previously had carpet on them, and the builders got paint all along the edges and splatters all over them. They've been "raw" for almost 3 years now. We can't afford to have them completely redone, so I'm just going to try and make them presentable. Another thing that has been holding us up is that about half the steps have a large gap between the edge of the tree and the stringer. Large enough to put my fingers in, so too big to caulk, so I'll have to get creative with that. I have some ideas.

But at least now all the treads are absent of paint splotches, so my next project can be to stain a few to see if that will look okay, or if I'll just have to resort to paint. 

Quarter round molding can be a great fix for stair gaps. I had to use it on my "raw" front stairs before we decided to re-carpet.

1 hour ago, chapchap73 said:

Quarter round molding can be a great fix for stair gaps. I had to use it on my "raw" front stairs before we decided to re-carpet.

What about the molding with the concave silhouette rather than the convex quarter round? 

On 1/4/2018, 11:46:06, Amber Celeste said:

I probably should spend it cleaning my 1:1 house though.  *Sigh*

Yeah. Funny how that creeps up on you.

• Like 1

I thought about the trim for the stairs. The problem is, it's on the sides, and the treads have the over lap. So if I put a piece on top of the tread, and a piece at the edge of the riser, then I still have a gap looking head on where the over lap is. This has been needing to be done for 3 years, so I think I have found pretty much every problem!

One solution I've thought of is to use some of the veneer sheets I used for the flooring in Victoria's Farmhouse. That is flexible, so it can "wrap" around the edge. So i thought about taking a small strip to fill in that gap and then staining to match. But it's not long enough, so I'll have to piece it. I also thought about getting some veneer edging on the roll, and just make it uniform width all the way down. There's only 4 treads and 3 risers that have gaps too big to caulk though, so I kinda hate to do them all. (see, this is why it hasn't gotten done!! Too much talking back and forth with myself!) I definitely will be using molding in a couple other horizontal places though, particularly the top step.

4 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Kathie, that is the one I meant, but the brain churned out the wrong word...again :doh:

Welcome to the "I meant to say ..." club. I've been a member for some time. :D 

A few months ago, a co-worker did something so amazingly nice for us and got us out of a bind. I've been wanting to do something nice for him, and gift cards just didn't seem to get it. He doesn't eat chocolate, or most sweets. But today he told me that coconut macaroons were "his weakness". So I looked them up (wasn't sure what it was!) and went and bought ingredients tonight. Well, these are the weirdest thing I've ever made. And they are probably going to be terrible, because I'm not sure what they are, or what they are supposed to be like. But it's the thought that counts right??

I'll also throw in a Google gift card to make it useful! (my husband said that's his contribution to the gift!)

Well chocolate would fix it for me, but he doesn't eat chocolate.

Thing is, I don't know what they are supposed to be like. Recipe said "golden brown". But it said 25-30 minutes, and on every batch, 20 minutes they looked almost burning. So are they supposed to be soft inside? Guess I should have asked before I cooked them all. Hopefully they are delicious or something. To me they tasted like gloppy coconut.

Today was my pickup day at the US/Canada border again . I picked up the Rik Pierce book that Karin suggested plus fairy molds and some patterns, made a Costco run and  a pharmacist run and bought the worst fish and chips ever but on the whole a good day. I am fighting off yet another chest infection so I will need to be a bit careful. it usually comes on if I go out and do too much. I shall spend a quiet evening with the DVD of Madama Butterfly I think, or maybe Les Mis and my new book

So, I've been working on saving my marriage for the past month.  I did something stupid - I traded in my motorcycle for another.  The old one was having problems and because it was over 10 years old, no shop would work on it.  The new (well, almost new) bike was a bit over priced and the timing couldn't have been worse, but I allowed high-pressure sales tactics and my riding friends to talk me into it.  My DW is right about the purchase being a bad idea, but unlike the previous purchase, we both have cars, we both have ok incomes and this won't inconvenience her.  The last time I bought a new bike, our only transportation was my previous bike, so it could have made a difference.  Fortunately, we bought our first car 5 months later.

I still have my driver's license (I think my threat to sue may have stopped him from filing paperwork, or the lack of evidence stopped the DMV from taking action).  The problem now is my schedule- the VA changed me back to 2nd shift, after I told them the cost of babysitters would bankrupt me.  I'm paying the bills by working 35 hours a week at the law office during the day and 40 hours a week at the VA.  I'm up from 6 a.m. to almost 1 a.m. five days a week.  I wouldn't work so much, but sitters are now our biggest expense - almost $1,000 a month!

I'm also further behind on the Tudor house, thanks to DD #2.  She climbed up on my work table, opened the front door, yanked out the wrought iron hand rails to the staircase and demolished them.  She breaks at least 2 or 3 things a week on it.  I don't have a workshop I can close up, so she has access to it when I'm not home to play goalkeeper with her.

Not doing much but wishing I wasn't still stuck in misery.   Snow today.  First time I can remember the MODOT closed the main east/west route (just after we got off it).  Can't complain about shoveling, spouse won't let me, and heart hurts with the cold.  I did try my hand at crochet figures.  Got Groot done, did a cat for my granddaughter, and a Pokemon figure fir grandson.  Not perfect by any means, but i'm I'm ok with them. (On pinterest)

On 1/9/2018, 7:08:43, Jeannine said:

Today was my pickup day at the US/Canada border again . I picked up the Rik Pierce book that Karin suggested plus fairy molds and some patterns, made a Costco run and  a pharmacist run and bought the worst fish and chips ever but on the whole a good day. I am fighting off yet another chest infection so I will need to be a bit careful. it usually comes on if I go out and do too much. I shall spend a quiet evening with the DVD of Madama Butterfly I think, or maybe Les Mis and my new book

Take care!  Sounds like a nice evening and like you got some fun supplies for when you are feeling better!

I spent the long weekend working on some cardboard furniture for my half scale house.  I usually am too heavy handed and accidentally crush things I make out of cardboard but after reading an article on building cardboard Putz houses I realized there are lots of ways to reinforce the structure to make them a little more sturdy.  So far I have made an antique chest, various crates and boxes for the attic and I'll hopefully finish up an antique stove I am working on today.  I may have overestimated my abilities with that though, we'll see how it turns out once it's painted!  There quite a few kits I'd like to buy for it but I'm saving my pennies for my materials to finish my 1:12 house so I will try my best to DIY what I can.

• Like 1

Well, the holidays are FINALLY over for my family!  Whew!  Since DS was not coming home for Christmas, but instead in January, the fam decided to hold off on our celebrations until they were here. My DS and DIL are on their way back to the sunny south this afternoon and I can finally take down the Christmas tree and decorations and clean up from the almost non-stop holiday gatherings over the weekend. I'm exhausted.  My knees are trashed.  Pass the Advil and a pillow! 

Speaking of meds....I am rather irritated with my insurance company today.  So I have been on a particular med for YEARS now, and in December got a letter informing me that this med will now require pre-authorization EVERY MONTH.  blargh.  Today the doctor's office called to tell me that they got a letter informing them (and me) that I will now have to jump through their hoops before they authorize the prescription again - -in other words, I have to try meds A, B, and possibly C with adverse results before I can go back on my meds! BLARGH!!  Um....don't you think I am on this particular med BECAUSE I've already tried all of those first!!??  And because it was so long ago- by a different doctor-a different medical office -and back when paper filing reigned supreme- they can't find the necessary medical notes/ paperwork that would have proved why I am on the current meds. 

Not looking forward to the next few weeks..... :crazyeyes:

Yikes, Jackie, what a pain! Hope it gets resolved quickly. 

So today my co-workers kept talking about snow. Last time I checked my weather app yesterday it showed a small chance between 2-3 am. I thought they were joking. And I was too busy to really pay much attention. (I am in charge of our asset tracking/work ticketing program, and there were some not so great side effects to a weekend update...)

Well, between the time I left work, and got home (15 minutes), they had canceled school and closed the district for tomorrow! Seriously?? That really completely caught me off guard. And I have work to do!

So, guess I'm building another tiny house tomorrow. :) 

Yep same here. I'm thankful that I don't have to go out in the cold and wind!  We'll see if we actually get any snow.

In the meantime, most of the large colleges haven't called classes yet, so we're waiting to see if Lawson's school will cancel. They are right smack in the middle of Atlanta, so surely they will have to to accommodate students from all around town. Maybe.

I was excited to get a set of smaller knitting needles today.  I had smaller sizes but not smaller enough!  My set was size US size 1, 0, 00, and 000.   Which is 2.25mm, 2mm, 1.75 mm, 1.5 mm as near as I can figure, there are a lot of conversion charts online and they do not all agree.  I looked online for quite a while to find some smaller sizes, there was one site but they made me nervous by sending me to paypal for just putting an item in my cart.  I was looking at dolls from someone in Australia and discovered she had the smaller needles I wanted, when I had picked out several sizes I came across a set that was a much better deal.  The set are sizes listed in UK/mm/US  and include 24/0.5mm/8x0, 21/0.75/6x0,  19/1mm/00000, 18/1.25mm/0000, 17/1,5mm/000, 16/1.75mm/00 and 15/2mm/0 plus a set of 4 double pointed needles 21/0.75/000000, a cabl needle that is 1mm and a knitting needle and crochet hook universal gauge that has the smaller sizes, the one I have now only goes down to size 1.  It looks like she used double pointed needles and put beads on the end, because the first thing that happened was one of the beads fell off, but I just super glued it back in place.  There were several projects I wanted to knit but didn't have the smaller needles, so back to knitting!