What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

34 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I need to go grocery shopping....does anyone else hate grocery shopping? It is so true what they say about teenage boys. I know we are low on food when they empty a box of Ritz crackers and eat peanut butter by the spoonful!

I totally hate grocery shopping!  I had been putting it off but finally had to venture from my hermitage yesterday to get some more provisions.  My kids are 5 and 7, they cleaned me out over the winter break.  I don't even want to think about my grocery bill when they are teenagers! :cry:

Now that I've got that out of the way I have all day today and tomorrow to work on putting the front on my 1:12 house, do some more stitching on the mini quilt I'm making and maybe do a little 3D modeling.  I probably should spend it cleaning my 1:1 house though.  *Sigh*

• Like 1

Phooey on cleaning house, double phooey on grocery shopping. I was planning on going today, but when I saw the forecast I went yesterday instead. My south facing 3rd floor window is covered in a snowy pattern that's beginning to obscure the view. The window on the north side is totally covered, can't see anything but white. 

@grazhina

BURRRR....get online and book some cheap flights to southern California for the up coming mini-show in Anaheim.

We have a place in Utah that looked like this last February...we go there for fun.....I can't imagine living in it full time. You must be made of sturdy stock! This year, not much  snow on the western part of the Rockies, none at our cabin. How do you not go stir crazy?

5a4e85b7df967_snowbackdoor(2).JPG.46c615

4 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I need to go grocery shopping....does anyone else hate grocery shopping? It is so true what they say about teenage boys. I know we are low on food when they empty a box of Ritz crackers and eat peanut butter by the spoonful!

I hate grocery shopping.. I once threatened my husband that I was going to start doing it online and getting it delivered. He was horrified at the thought of someone else picking out his produce.... Grocery shopping is now his job. :D 

28 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

@grazhina

BURRRR....get online and book some cheap flights to southern California for the up coming mini-show in Anaheim.

We have a place in Utah that looked like this last February...we go there for fun.....I can't imagine living in it full time. You must be made of sturdy stock! This year, not much  snow on the western part of the Rockies, none at our cabin. How do you not go stir crazy?

5a4e85b7df967_snowbackdoor(2).JPG.46c615

I wish it was like that this year... my ski trip is in less than a month and there is no snow! :cry:

27 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I wish it was like that this year... my ski trip is in less than a month and there is no snow! :cry:

I know, we have a small ski-resort here in Las Vegas well it's about 20 mins outside...No precipitation here for about 110 days.

The resort near our cabin in Utah nearly burned down this summer, and now no snow this winter. I was thinking about your trip. It looks like you need to visit Grazhina

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

@grazhina

Well, Carrie, that snow looks interesting, anyway. We have tickets to Turks and Caicos for the end of January. They have a lovely beach and pools at the quiet little hotel and I plan on spending a lot of time in the water. 

• Like 2

I am in the process of getting snowed in too, it has been raging all day out there, I have to admit on days like this I am so so so glad my barn is attached to the house, sure makes getting out there to do chores much easier!  I looked out my bathroom window a while ago and the road is only about 25-30 feet away but I couldn't see it at all.  We are supposed to get about 18 inches but how would you know with it blowing like this.  The bad thing is the wind we are supposed to get tomorrow and Saturday while the temp plummets to -21.  

I am sitting in front of the pellet stove with Calliope on my lap and the electric throw over me!

17 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

The bad thing is the wind we are supposed to get tomorrow and Saturday while the temp plummets to -21.  

I'm along the coast, so we're supposed to go down to just -10. We've got 9" of snowfall so far around here. I just went and got my lightweight flashlight out of the kitchen drawer. I'm going to try and remember to tote it around with me all evening. All this wind and snow makes perfect conditions for our usual power outages. 

4 hours ago, Sable said:

What on earth do you do in -21 if the power goes out?  Gas heat? Fireplace? Find a hotel? 

Make sure you have backup, There is a wood stove in the cellar, I have two kerosene heaters if it gets too long and my pellet stove has a battery back up that I fashioned together for about 13 hours of running.  I have a generator in the barn, we got that after I had to milk 5 cows and 5 goats by hand after spending the whole day at farmers market one night.   Many people up here heat with wood anyway, I ended up with a pellet stove because I was gone at night for 14 hours or more and the pellet stove can last that long, but I made sure I had battery back up and a way to charge it.

It is not the cold that is a problem it is the wind, when it is that cold with winds like they are predicting 20-40 mph with gusts higher, it is just impossible to heat the house anyway, that is why I love my electric blanket lol  I guess the cold is just part of life, I live here because the heat bothers me much more then the cold, and besides there aren't many people for this hermit!

And I'm complaining because here in the PNW, nothing is happening, weatherwise. You guys on the East Cost get all the fun!

Grazhina, how close to the coast are you? I heard that storm really pushed the tides in and broke the high tide record someplace. Are you OK?

55 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

And I'm complaining because here in the PNW, nothing is happening, weatherwise. You guys on the East Cost get all the fun!

Grazhina, how close to the coast are you? I heard that storm really pushed the tides in and broke the high tide record someplace. Are you OK?

My nephew on Vinalhaven, which is an island off the coast of Rockland said his yard was all water at high tide, luckly his house is high on a hill so it doesn't get that far up, but he had it overflowing at his place of business, which is a marina right on the water.  Bad time for a storm with the full moon just passing making the tides high anyway.

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

You had all of the fires on the west coast this year. All summer Oregon and Washington, then north of SF, then north of LA. You get the dry windy devastation, we get the wet windy devastation.

Edited by Sable

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The unusually high tides are due to the moon being at the closest point in its orbit around the Earth.

There have been some spectacular moons this week. My husband has been calling me out to look at them...it is not like him to be so moonstruck???

You are a nurse, so you know how wacky people act on full moons!

Yesterday I plowed for 3 hours but it was pretty tough going, before I started I had to shovel through a drift about 4' high in front of the barn, across the yard and to the garage that had another drift as high as the tractor.   There was just so much snow that instead of just pushing it across the courtyard, I had to keep scooping it up and throwing it in front of the tractor.  The entrance  to my driveway was over 6' high and packed from the plow going by, and it is uphill, I was really thinking of giving up the whole thing when I finally bashed through it all.  I never did get in front of the barn cleared out so my car is still stuck inside but my thumb was so cold even with hand heaters I finally went inside and sat on the pellet stove for a long time drinking hot tea.  The cat was a little put out with me that is her space to lay down. I still need a few hours to clear out in front of the barn and around the front of the house, plus over where the pickup is buried in snow.  This morning the hot water to the kitchen is frozen, always happens when we have high winds, but that is an easy fix anyway.