What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

18 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I am busy  making curtains for Joe's house, I know, I know he is a bachelor but Red Riding Hoods mum has sort of adopted him and as he trades his wood and game she insisted on making him curtains. Just tiny gingham nothing fancy. I got some grout in the mail finally today so shall be doing the chimney tomorrow. Beyond that I am just rearranging my workroom and little else.

Pictures please   

18 hours ago, Sable said:

I went to the doctor today for my severe cold. Turns out I have Influenza A. I haven’t had a flu in over twenty years. Just completely miserable. Got prescribed Tamaflu and an antibiotic. He was afraid I also have a sinus infection. 

Oh no!  Take care and get plenty of rest. I was down for a solid week the last time I had the flu.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I am on the mend!  We went grocery shopping today and I have been able to sty up and out of bed all day without feeling like ****.

Great, Holly! 

I am on the mend!  We went grocery shopping today and I have been able to sty up and out of bed all day without feeling like ****.

Fabulous news Holly. I’m a day or so behind you. I had to go back to doctor today cause now I have a kidney infection. They gave me a stronger antibiotic and I have to go in for an ultrasound first thing tomorrow. Sick of being sick!  I told my adult children that for Christmas I’m writing checks to their favorite charity since this last-minute-shopper won’t have any time to shop (more delirium).

Feeling sorry for everyone under the weather. Lots of hand washing and sanitizer use here seems to be keeping the germs away. <knocking wood> 

Yesterday I made the big push and got the office/library sorted out, except for a few stacks of genealogy research that got stuffed out of sight. The quilt shop room box is finally set up and residing happily on the filing cabinet, and the houseboat is as well, although the boat is in need of a delicate dusting. Also moved Lloyd's big white construction into the office. It is in need of a little restoration but seems happy enough to be out of the garage. 

Except for the studio/craft room and a need to set up shelves in the garage, the house is pretty well organized -- photo ready, even. 

Where is Marie Laveau''s cottage?

Marie Laveau is in a place of honor in the dining room; so is the Haunted Hangout. The Christmas White Orchid is in the bedroom,, and the pottery shop is in the studio, along with the under-construction Beacon Hill. The African shadow box is in the living room. The Pierce/Bohemian Inn is on a shelf in the garage. Everybody is accounted for. :)  And except for the quilt shop, everybody is in dire need of dusting.

Went to get out my stencil brush to start stippling the walls of my roombox and couldn't find the darn thing, so I printed my 50% off coupon and set out for Michael's. It's 17 degrees F up here and snowing. The roads are slippery, the traffic is heavy, I couldn't make up my mind what brushes to buy so I bought a bunch of them so I could get the heck back home before driving conditions got any worse. Tomorrow we're expected to get freezing rain on top of today's several inches of snow. Another snowstorm expected on Christmas day. DH's week long feeling of misery and sore throat has turned into a cough. I managed to avoid getting our granddaughter's kid crud, I hope I can also evade the DH crud.

Yes, everyone, I hope you all stay healthy. Holly, I'm glad you're feeling better and Sable - OMG, just feel better soon! Please take care of yourself!

I'm not doing much here, but I finally got the dishes done and the kitchenette cleaned up. I've had little boxes arriving for the last week and now they're sitting all over the place (what can I say, I buy one present for someone and then buy two for myself) and now the bedroom needs picking up. I can do that tomorrow when I start wrapping presents. No point in picking up the room tonight when it's going to look like a tornado hit it once I start wrapping stuff.

Tomorrow I was going to go out and get Christmas dinner at Long John Silver's, but I'd have to go late and it might be slick outside, so since I have a dozen other things to do, I might wait on LJS for a New Year's dinner.

I still have to make supper tonight and wash my hair and I'm still yawning after my afternoon nap - er, excuse me, my afternoon horizontal life pause.

I absolutely hate the transition from day to night (and from night to morning). I don't mind daytime and I don't mind night and I don't mind watching the sun set. But twilight before it gets completely dark gives me the willies. I should have timed my HLP to sleep through it.

I am searching my brain without much success for a gift for someone. It is a thank you gift for a lovely young man who works at my local supermarket. He had an accident as a child   and suffered some brain damage although you wouldn't know if you met him. I guess his scholastic level is not very high. He carries groceries to cars, helps bag, fetching trolleys, that sort of thing but he is very special. He has a gorgeous smile,  he  is always  very polite and helpful, In this last year since he has been working in the store I have never seen him irritable  or too tired to help, or anything other than a sweet young man always ready to lend a hand , he is a treasure. I would like to give him a small thank you gift  for all the times he has helped me but I don't have a clue as to what to give him. I am not allowed to give him  a tip if he helps, so cannot give him a money gift. I know he is Italian and know he lives with his family. Several months ago I was chatting to a friend in the line who asked about my husband and I said what he was like at that time. Ever since then he has  always  asked how my husband  was  and in the summer when I told him my husband had gone he was so kind, loving and genuinely sorry . He is about 18/19 maybe but beyond the above I know very little about him.   Any ideas appreciated.

@Jeannine - I have a son who is Autistic and has a similar disposition, my son enjoys receiving gift cards for trips to the Movies or a restaurant that he enjoys but might be a little out of his reach financially (he loves Sushi lol) Often those are the best gifts for kids who need a little help.  Very kind of you to recognize him.

What about baking him a batch of cookies or fruit muffins?  Knit him a cap & scarf.  Our youngest son has some homeless friends he cooks for from time to time and I sometimes knit for them, usually afghans to help them keep warm.

Susie, I hadn't thought of a gift card and that is not like giving him money is it?  . It would have to be for one  for a store with a wide range of goods. I have no idea of the movies or restaurants for him. I think it may be the answer though. There is a big store very close to where he works, it has pretty much everything in it from electronics , games, toys, small aplliances, candies etc etc  .Or perhaps a mug from Starbucks filled with Christmas candies with a gift card for them attached. All the young people here seem to like Starbucks or      Timmys. That might be the answer.

Holly I don't have the time to knit anything for him and  I wouldn't know what he would like . Judging by his dress I would say he comes from a fairly wealthy family as he is impeccably groomed and very well dressed.

What about a small gift bag with holiday cookies and/or candy (homemade) combined with a heartfelt personal exchange letting him know how much you appreciate his helpfulness? That would be more meaningful than a purchased gift of any kind. 

I would not go with a gift card. For one thing, it really is money, just in plastic rather than paper form. For another, to me gift cards say "I really don't care enough about you to bother searching out something you'd like."

Whatever you decide to do, I'd definitely talk to the manager of the store first. They may have rules or regulations extending beyond the acceptance of monetary tips. You wouldn't want the young man to get in trouble.

• Like 1

We are on our way home from our week vacation in Florida. Yay. We had a good time, but we are ready to be home. Ready to see my animals and my Christmas tree! :)

Tonight I'll be baking simple cookies and making the Tiger Butter Holly told us about a couple weeks ago. And wrapping all the presents that were delivered this week while I was gone. I had tried to have everything delivered before we left. But some things were late, and I may have continued to shop this week... At least I did get all the other wrapping done before I left.

• Like 1

DH gave me a Roomba for Xmas. This morning I set it loose in the family room and it did a pretty good job. It's like watching a little bumper car going back and forth. It got trapped in a corner behind an end table for a while, so I moved the table for it. Finally it decided it just had to get under a certain bookshelf. It knew it didn't fit, because it had bumped off of it a few times before, but this time it had resolved to do a proper clean under there and managed to get jammed in. I decided that was enough for the family room and set it to work in the kitchen where it is cleaning nicely.

I loved my Roomba and Scooba. I basically used them until they died. Every year I would purchase new batteries, brushes and wheels. I keep them at my vacation property now. They are great at cleaning beach sand, dog fur and dust bunnies on hard floors.

54 minutes ago, grazhina said:

... it had resolved to do a proper clean under there and managed to get jammed in. ...

My Roomba does its best to get under the sofabed. Sometimes I have to rescue it. It was a happy moment when enough boxes were moved out so the Roomba could get to work in the new house. :) 

I am off to the UPS Store to get some legal documents scanned to email to my realtor, the documents that inform the world that Lloyd's estate is truly closed and I have the right to sell the condo. There was an offer made last Friday. We (I) countered. The prospective buyer has until 6 pm Central time to accept, counter, or walk away. Cross your fingers, please!