What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Spending the weekend in OK for spouses family reunion.   Had an extra roommate in the motel.  Grandson sees a tiny lizard come out from under the dresser.  We got it and granddaughter takes it outside to extra large empty field.  Motel said they wouldn't charge me for the "pet".  LOL.

Kathie, glad you made it to GA safely 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Spending the weekend in OK for spouses family reunion.   Had an extra roommate in the motel.  Grandson sees a tiny lizard come out from under the dresser.  We got it and granddaughter takes it outside to extra large empty field.  Motel said they wouldn't charge me for the "pet".  LOL...

I think the motel ought to offer you a discount for pest removal.

• Like 1

Lawanda, anole lizards are a hoot.  One camping trip to Blackwater River State Park I forgot my book and sat and watched two males fighting it out for territory on the log fence between our site and the next door one; when one of them grabbed his opponent by the snout and swung him off the fence and held him dangling in mid-air I cracked up; and when he started swinging his foe back & forth I almost fell off my chair.  We used to get them in our house in Havana, and my MIL taught me the trick of catching them in a hand or dish towel to take them back outside.  My eldest son's wife won't ever come visit us again because one was in that house on her last visit and she (a clinical psychologist) is terrified of them!

• Like 1

The towel works for snakes, too; I used to use an old clean gallon ice cream tub for the ones that came in the house (except the pygmy rattler when we lived in Jacksonville; I dropped my iron skillet on it and let my hubs take the cadaver outside).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Selkie said:

Congratulations on making there with all your belongings. Can't wait to see some pictures of your new place. I'll bet it's wonderful!

You should have no need for a strict timetable now that you are all in one place. Take it a a reasonable pace so you don't end up doing things twice. I find if I hurry scurry through those kinds of situations, I end up re-doing things that I didn't take time to really think through the first time around.

All that said, I'll bet, because you are very organized, that you have floorplans already drawn up for each room in your new place.

I had a rough plan in my head. It is evolving.  The craft room especially keeps morphing,  and a set of book cases I thought would go in the office/library will instead go into the master bedroom as a little reading area takes form. Am taking it  relatively slowly to get the feel of various arrangements.

Today my sis tackled the kitchen with several consultations with me, while I tackled the master bedroom and bathroom. We didn't rush, took several breaks, yet got a lot accomplished. 

16 hours ago, Samusa said:

Yes, Kathie.. We all want to see pictures of your new abode. :)

I should have taken photos with all of the boxes in place. The kitchen was so stuffed we could hardly move, dining room ditto. I was a careful packer, so many boxes have more packing materials than items. 

I'll take some pictures when it's done. 

1 hour ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

You might find some really willing taker on Craigslist to come pick up all those boxes and packing materials for you, too!

Yes. I've also joined the Nextdoor.com community and will advertise them there. I'm sure there are folks moving in and out all the time. I'm smoothing, folding and boxing up the clean newsprint sheets and flattening the boxes and keeping them sorted by size. It would break my heart to send all of those poor dead trees to the dump.

• Like 1

Busy weekend: DH's family reunion on Saturday and I am "in charge"!  All went well, although it was unusually hot for this time of year.   I had brought some mums and pumpkins in an large box- once done setting up, I placed the box out of the way.  Well, the kids found it and dragged it off.  :)  Not sure what all it "became" but it was totally trashed by the end of the afternoon! :prop:  LOL 

Sunday afternoon was spent in a family meeting.  Having some more issues with my mother and the settling of the estate stuff.  blargh. Meeting felt positive, and today we made some steps forward to resolve the issue. She is planning on leaving for Sarasota mid-October so we are trying to get things done before that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pgwyn said:

Just bought a DuraCraft Newburg on Ebay.  I am very excited to build this one.   The Linfield and Newburg look very similar to me.  Are there any outstanding differences?  

How fun! They do look similar, I think the Newburg has more of a bay window thing going on??? I like most Dura-craft houses, except maybe the Crestview.

On 9/24/2017, 5:20:31, KathieB said:

Yes. I've also joined the Nextdoor.com community and will advertise them there. I'm sure there are folks moving in and out all the time. I'm smoothing, folding and boxing up the clean newsprint sheets and flattening the boxes and keeping them sorted by size. It would break my heart to send all of those poor dead trees to the dump.

I know what you mean! I have such "Amazon  box guilt" that I save them and pawn them off on Craigslist or family members however I can! :OP

3 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

The Linfield has a little balcony on the 2nd floor, with a door leading into the bedroom. The Newburg has just a window. That's how I always tell them apart. :)

I see that now.  Other than that they are very similar.

Last night I slept in the new house for the first time. The technician came today to hook up the tv and internet. (He took pictures of some of the houses for his kids to see, and I think he's heading to Hobby Lobby for a kit.) One of the tvs iis in the craft room/studio. I got used to that in New Orleans. I figured out how the icemaker works and turned it on. There are already leftovers in the refrigerator. A dozen more boxes got emptied. I think this pretty much spells settling in.  :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Last night I slept in the new house for the first time. The technician came today to hook up the tv and internet. (He took pictures of some of the houses for his kids to see, and I think he's heading to Hobby Lobby for a kit.) One of the tvs iis in the craft room/studio. I got used to that in New Orleans. I figured out how the icemaker works and turned it on. There are already leftovers in the refrigerator. A dozen more boxes got emptied. I think this pretty much spells settling in.  :)

Yup, I'd say you're well on your way to making your new house "home".

• Like 1

It's been a couple of busy weeks here.  Our old project manager was canned after too many personnel losses and complaints, only to be replaced with another boss that isn't working out too great at the moment.  She's a RN, but not the kind you would want to work for or be taken care of by.  She has already given the college students an ultimatum to either quit school and comply with the new, rigid schedule, or turn in their notice to resign.  The previous boss couldn't fill the positions, I wonder how she plans to do any better?

I'm going to be used for bayonet practice on Friday.  20 years of bad liver tests indicate I have what's killing my uncle, so I'm getting a liver biopsy to find out how bad the damage is.  I told the doc "I'm not an alcoholic - I'm just showing my liver who's the boss."  In reality, I don't drink much or often, but I suspect years of taking Tylenol and other meds have taken their toll.  I was also told to go on a low calorie, low sugar, low carb, no flavor diet.  I looked up the "serving suggestions", and they're a joke.  I don't plan to starve or tip-toe safely to my own funeral, so the diet is out.  The good news is my 3 month long stomach bug from last year had some benefits - my cholesterol dropped by 180 points while I was losing 50 lbs. I didn't really need. :D

I'm also planning for a fun motorcycle trip next month to Panama City Beach.  My club has a 3/3 condo reserved for a crazy low price and I have a route that will put us along the coast literally a couple of meters from the Gulf of Mexico for part of the ride.  Last year we had a blast at the event.  Hopefully in a few years I can bring my DW along.

• Like 1

Well I got up and looked around this am and my house looked like WW3 so I gave up my plans for the day and started to tidy. Fortunately everything has a place so that was not too bad but...I had to find room for 4 more boxed houses that were laying around and I have three more to pick up at the border tomorrow, so under the sofas I went, pushing, shoving and breathing heavy I managed to tuck them all away and leave room for the ones  that I shall collect tomorrow .Lets out a big sigh!! Note to me not to get so far behind in the tidying up as it interferes with better things

My little Fairfield is still slowly moving along, and thanks to you all and the " bashing ideas" it has an extra door and a couple more windows plus an extra couple of rooms. It is partially glued  but has had several dry builds. I intend  to give the whole thing a white coat of paint sealer tonight now the dry walling is finished LOL.

I got a lovely delivery of  1/2 scale light fittings from the UK, they are so tiny but so cute. Need to find a transformer now.

We had a bear in the area last night, just the other side of my fence and one of my Chihuahuas' decided to take it on. I didn't realize it was there, I just heard the racket  but my neighbor came over and told me. Thank goodness for the fence, Florence will have a go at anything. I hope it doesn't make this a habit. I let them out with me and a flashlight after dark because of the coyotes in the area but I never planned on a bear so close and it was still light.

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

That's awesome, Kathie - I am happy for you getting settled in! And in the midst of all that unpacking, recruiting a whole new generation of mini enthusiasts! You go girl!

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

You should feel so proud of yourself for accomplishing all that you have taken on in the past six months. I know I'm proud of you and hope I have your courage if I'm ever in the same situation. I think you and your sister should take a spa day to reward yourself.