What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

9 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Kathie,.........try reading that statement standing on its own. :rofl:

I saw that as the last post in this thread and I thought, "First bodies, now puppies!"

LOL!! Apparently living in virtual reality with my characters has turned me toward the dark side. I'm beginning to understand what novelists mean when they talk about characters taking over their lives! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

LOL!! Apparently living in virtual reality with my characters has turned me toward the dark side. I'm beginning to understand what novelists mean when they talk about characters taking over their lives! 

My friend Lucia says the characters set up shop in her mind & won't leave her alone until she writes their stories.

22 hours ago, havanaholly said:

My friend Lucia says the characters set up shop in her mind & won't leave her alone until she writes their stories.

I have to agree. Today I'm reading through the first 20 chapters, doing some minor editing and making notes of stuff that needs to be foreshadowed or mentioned later in the narrative before tackling the last four or five chapters. Here's a funny thing: I'm finding passages I don't recall writing. It's probably just my old-timer's messing with me, but I'm about ready to swear that some of the characters sneak onto the computer when I'm not looking to add stuff they think ought to be there. Here's what's even funnier: the murderer is not who I thought it was going to be. Go  figure. :D 

• Like 1

Wait'll they find your dollhouses.

d*** (the nickname for Richard - sheesh!) Francis said once that when he started to write a book, he never knew how it was going to turn out in the end. I guess his characters just did as they pleased and all he did was try to keep up with them.

Maybe that's why I can't write anything. I have to have everything laid out from start to finish.

16 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Wait'll they find your dollhouses.

I've been thinking that the Bullrush family of frogs who live in the houseboat would be good story fodder. Father is a retired merchant marine captain who has met a whole range of interesting characters in his travels, Mother writes children's books, Son is of an age to get into all kinds of scrapes, and Baby is just darned cute. I need to focus on the present, though, so I'm doing my best to block out their persistent froggy croakings.

Hassam's paintings of the Isles of Shoals are beautiful! I admit, I succumbed to the lure and bought the exhibit catalog. Also on display were some modern photographs of the area taken by a local artist to show how much or little things have changed in the past century or so. I'll have to post a few links of my favorites later. A very good time was had by both my Mom and I. We were lucky to be able to park right next to the building with the Hassam exhibit on Saturday, since the place is huge and we did plenty of walking around. Will have to get back there soon to see the permanent collection because we couldn't find parking on Sunday morning, so we just came directly home. Worked out for the best, since we skirted most of the traffic. Friday we left home about 1:30 and didn't get to Raleigh until 5 pm, so we had lots of traffic and delays going up there; on Sunday we left around noon and made it home by 3:30.

Are you ready for some eye candy? I really liked his oils best, although they had some of his watercolors on display too. I just don't think his technique looks as good in the watercolor as it does in the oils; some of his brushwork was reminding me of Van Gogh, heavy squiggles and such. If anyone is in NC in the Raleigh area, I highly recommend you go see it before the exhibit ends on June 19th. Who doesn't love Impressionists, right?

Here are my favorites from the Hassam exhibit (there were a few I couldn’t find online):

http://d31vc4ph21db4c.cloudfront.net/images/made/HASSAM__Poppies__Isles_of_Shoals_1_726_597_80_s.jpg

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/citi/images/standard/WebLarge/WebImg_000248/173664_2934594.jpg

http://uploads0.wikiart.org/images/childe-hassam/isles-of-shoals-appledore.jpg

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/21/2181/8ZOCD00Z/posters/childe-hassam-moonlight-isle-of-shoals-1892.jpg

http://www.wikigallery.org/paintings/131501-132000/131654/painting1.jpg

http://uploads6.wikiart.org/images/childe-hassam/sunset-at-sea.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Hassam_-_'Isles_of_Shoals,_Broad_Cove',_oil_on_canvas_painting_by_Childe_Hassam,_1911.jpg

http://rlv.zcache.com/impressionism_marina_headlands_childe_hassam_postcard-rb0022b7c2f5d48c68741b2ca06392e7c_vgbaq_8byvr_630.jpg?view_padding=%5B285%2C0%2C285%2C0%5D

http://pem.org/writable/resources/image/overlay_full/has-001.jpg

http://uploads2.wikiart.org/images/childe-hassam/white-island-light-isles-of-shoals-at-sundown.jpg

http://pem.org/writable/resources/image/overlay_full/has-010.jpg

http://d31vc4ph21db4c.cloudfront.net/images/made/HASSAM__Sunset_Sky_611_367_s.jpg

The last one is much brighter in tone in person!

Grazhina, the problem is that it takes us a long time to realize that the older we get, the less common things we can make without consequences. It happened to me several times lifting things, going up and down stairs, bending. I finally got it and I am slowing down. Sorry for you, rest a lot and take care!:bigwink:

On 3/8/2016, 10:50:18, havanaholly said:

I'd be interested to hear what the geology gurus tell you Jeremy.

Sorry for the late reply!  I'm experiencing "clay lift".  When clay gets wet, it expands, and about half of my yard is thick clay (the other half is so soft and loamy my lawn mower wheels sink into it).  They said the area I live in has a lot of clay and there have been many homes and businesses damaged by it.

KathieB your book sounds like fun!   My Micro Village is doing the same thing to me - taking over and deciding how it wants to look! When I started I had not planned on a large park, nor street lights, nor lighted cars!

I am frantically getting ready for DD and her family to arrive next Tuesday!  Need to get three "bedrooms" ready for them - that's in quotes because one "bedroom" is my office and one is the laundry room/guest room/catch-all room.  Don't know how so much stuff has gotten pushed into corners and forgotten!  

Then I have the NAME convention coming up next month and am starting to panic about that. The inventory is piling up and no place to put it - have to buy more inventory and need to find more funding for that - still need to finish two items I'm taking for displays - 

AND ALL MY DAYS HAVE BEEN CUT TO A MERE 24 HOURS!  :dog:

After nearly two weeks of having the a/c folks out to fiddle with it, and replacing almost all of the unit's innards we are once more no longer stewing in our own juices.  Tomorrow we're taking DS home to Tallahassee (he takes care of a number of his homeless & fixed income friends, so we send along an awful lot of things that would otherwise go to local thrift stores here).

Had to go renew my driver's liscence today. I came prepared with a book to read while I waited but I was there for a total of about 5 minutes. The agent told me to meet her at the end of the counter and she'd see if I needed a new picture. She said I didn't need one and I was good to go!

Next I stopped at the library in the neighboring town to check the new books section but it being summer it was pretty well cleaned out, so I continued to the used bookstore, but she'd closed at 2:00! I was going to stop at the market for a couple of things, but traffic in the area was slow and heavy (it being summer) so I drove back to my regular market which wouldn't be so crowded.

You win some, you lose some. BTW, my pansies need deadheading again, but I'm not risking my back and hip. Yesterday was the first day i felt normal. DS has the day off tomorrow, I'll ask him to take care of the pansies for me.

• Like 1

Still in Las Vegas preparing the setup of my BIL's estate. We are now at a standstill until the death certificate is available. So we will head back to soggy Florida on a red eye flight Fri nite. We will have to come back once the court approves my husband as Executor. I must say his condo is very luxurious so it has taken some of the edge off with all the stuff we have had to deal with.

In between trying to finish up my Victorian Farmhouse this weekend, I need to get a cake baked and decorated for my parents' 61st Anniversary on Saturday.  Dad had been suffering a slight case of pneumonia the past two weeks, so we were all hoping that he would be feeling up to his first venture out of the nursing facility since he arrived in April.  We are only planning for a few hours at home.  It will be bittersweet, I am sure: he wants to be home so badly, but knows that Mother just can't do it (even with nursing care).  It will be a time of saying his good-byes to the farm...

You know, I don't get it- this man has been on the brink of death several times...and each time he bounces back!  His congestive heart failure is making him slowly weaker, but when we visited him the other day he looked really good - even with the pneumonia!  We've been in that "he's dying/ no he's not" limbo for months now- if not for the past two years!  *sigh*  Well, guess it gives my Dad more time to teach my Mother how to do things herself. 

MOVING.  Ugh :crazyeyes:  I had forgotten what it was like! 

I am also going through the "what have I done with buying all these minis?!".  I tend to "stock up" on supplies for future projects (I think it is really hording, but as a miniaturist, that word is not part of my vocabulary).  I have sooooo many boxes of windows, doors, trim, siding, shingles, flooring, wallpaper, and light fixtures!  I think I could open my own store!  And the bad part is, since working on the Victoriana (close to being finished, but real life and the move got in the way) I have 3 more half scale houses in boxes.  And let's not talk about the 1 inch houses patiently waiting. 

The funny thing about this, I am moving from my small one bedroom apartment to right across the street to a two bedroom.  More room for minis!!  :cucumber:

As usual, I have no time for minis and it's starting to feel like I never will :(  I'm trying to get ready for a trip we are taking in a couple weeks,  so I spend a good bit of time making lists of what to do.  At least I don't have to worry about wear and tear on the car. We got a great deal on a rental

I just got home yesterday after a week in the hospital (again).  I wasn't going to get any rest at home with the kids running about, so I went to work a couple of hours later.  Speaking of work, I have to get ready for another day of it in a few minutes.

On the upside, I have at least a dozen of those little pill cups that would make great lamp shades if I can get rid of the measuring marks.  Any suggestions on how to do that?  I thought about sanding them down, but I'm worried it would leave holes in the cups.

Busy week at work this week ! Getting all the Fall decor in !

I can't remember if I  told you all the mammogram results from May. They were negative, no new issues. Thankfully.

I have been feeling really tired and achy lately. I think it has something to do with the medication I am on. I started taking Tamoxifen in Oct. I didn't really have any issues with initial now.   I just don't feel like me. 

I am trying to o do  some major summer cleaning and decluttering. Getting ready to lay the hard wood floors in the dining room..we just finished the living room a few weeks ago.  

A friend picked up a dollhouses at a yard sale for me, its in pretty bad shape. I can't get pictures to post.   I want to get back into working on my houses but I feel worn out.

• Like 1