What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

34 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, Kathie!  How totally irresponsible!  Did the stove ever get delivered?

Yes, stove was delivered and installed by very efficient and proficient guys.

Kathie that reminds me of the time we called to confirm that a new exterior french door was on the truck so we could demo the old one. The woman said it had just left and is on its way. Last thing I wanted was an exposed opening during the middle of a hot humid stormy summer. Well the door was not on the truck and didn't get on the truck for three more days.

• Like 1

Kathie, I feel your pain. What a mess!  I had a similar experience with my freezer last year, except it was repair not delivery. My freezer wasn't working and the repair department said, "We'll get right out....3 weeks!?@#! is not my idea of "right out".  I have an 18 cubic foot freezer; we fortunately had a spare that we were about to give to a friend. Brought it in from our shed, plugged it in and packed it with stuff. I would have lost over $350 worth of food if we hadn't had it. My warranty covered me up to $250 dollars for food loss, and you can be sure I put in for every cent. The freezer was only 10 months old by the way. When the nice, efficient repairman finally came to fix it, he told me that the piece he replaced was probably bad from the beginning.

well, yesterday turned out totally unexpectedly from how I imagined....we took the next step in my dad's final journey: He had been sick the last 5 days (the nurses thought it was a reaction to new meds) and the last 2 nites were pretty terrible, and yesterday morning there was a flurry of activity with hospice nurses and a social worker and suddenly I was packing a bag for my dad and waiting for an ambulance to take him to the in-patient hospice facility.  Not only did he need to get his symptoms under control (he suffers from congestive heart failure), but we had all agreed that him being at home just was not working out in general.  My poor mother has high anxiety issues and while she tried her best, this was just more than she could handle. 

In my head I know that this is what we had wanted to happen weeks ago (when we brought him home from Florida)- but until it was actually happening...well, I am just pretty sad today.  :(

Jackie, sending hugs and good vibes to you and all your family. It is indeed a stressful time when a loved one is so ill.

Had a call from the delivery service this morning. A loaner refrig will be delivered tomorrow. 

Jackie, no one is ever "prepared" and grief goes hand in hand with impending loss.  I will hold you and your dad & family in a loving hug.  CHF is how I had to lose my own mother, and half my lifetime later I still miss her.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Still pouring rain here, supposed to go away late tomorrow...

Good luck with that forecast, Holly. Still pouring rain here, too, with promise of more tomorrow. 

39 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Good luck with that forecast, Holly. Still pouring rain here, too, with promise of more tomorrow. 

Wouldn't surprise me, the rain arrived nearly two days sooner than forecast!  Gallery Night is tomorrow night and rain is the one weather feature that will keep me away!  Now that one of the main buildings has changed hands and is under renovation, this is the last chance to visit some of the shops & restaurants in it.

The sun came out briefly a little while ago. It is now clouded over but not raining. Lloyd is scheduled to speak at a groundbreaking ceremony this afternoon. The Artspace folks take historic buildings and rehab them into affordable housing for local artists. Lloyd has a long history at the Andrew J. Bell School, their newest project, here in New Orleans. He attended Bell as a student from 1949 and came back to the school as a teacher for 14 years before joining the faculty at Xavier University of New Orleans. He will be able to add local color as no one else can. :) 

It's a couple of hours until the ceremony. Keeping fingers crossed that the rain holds off.

• Like 1

Well, my RL projects went well with just one or two hiccups. My wonderful DH put up the crown molding in the kitchen yesterday. He worked on it ALL day, but it is done. Love, love, love it :) Today, I have to go around the room with a nail setter and pound all the nails in, then caulk and paint.  Minor stuff when I look at all the hideous angles he has to figure out cuts for.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2016, 2:48:36, KathieB said:

It's a couple of hours until the ceremony. Keeping fingers crossed that the rain holds off.

The sun came out and the ground was more sand and weeds than dirt, so the outdoor ceremony went well. L got choked up and couldn't finish his little speech. The memories were overwhelming, and thoughts of his friend who was also a teacher at Bell School whose funeral we attended last week were too heavy. He did meet one of his former students, who recalled the class when he took them across the street to draw an interesting house on the corner. She said they were so intent on drawing that they lost track of time. There was a mad scramble to get to the next class when the bell rang. 

We arrived a few minutes late. The speeches had already begun. The dais was crowded, so the mayor of New Orleans very graciously gave L his chair and went to sit in the audience. Later the mayor sort of took L under his wing, made sure he had a shovel for the ground breaking and was included in many of the official photos of the event. L is the one in the white pants. Mayor Mitch Landrieu 2nd from left.

12993444_1772403699656843_50996668458693

12974471_1772402289656984_51880067750132

• Like 1

Lloyd just gets better looking all the time!  And how appropriate to paint & decorate those shovels!  I don't guess they let Lloyd keep his... 

We wound up skipping Gallery Night, what with the diceyness of the weather  When we watched the 9 PM news we learned that the funding for Gallery Night is running out and the last one will be in September.  This is sort of depressing, as Gallery Night gets so many people out & downtown, shopping & eating and seeing all the local craftspeople and budding restauranteurs with their food trucks & carts, and the works of local established artists in the downtown galleries.  A new favorite food truck we discovered at the Jazz Fest is a creperie that a local newscaster and her French husband take around town

My sister is arriving in the US from England, today. She will be going to visit my dad in Maryland on Monday. So my brother from Texas has decided to see her and is heading to MD tomorrow. This gets better---- So my son found out last night that his new political campaign office will be in Annapolis, MD starting tomorrow. He will be staying at my dad's house for two weeks. So guess who is driving up to MD from Florida to assist with his drive? Me.  If anyone had told me on Thursday that I would be going to an impromptu family reunion and driving 15 hours to get there, I would have said, "Never". But Dad is 86 and I only get to see my siblings at weddings and funerals, so it's a no brainer.  Leaving in an hour. Wish me luck.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Drive safely,, Sable!  15 hours?  It takes DH & me three 8-hour days!

Only have to deal with I-95; straight shot north.  Traffic is averaging 85 mph so we are making good time. I drove the first 4 hours. Maybe 5 more hours today and we'll get a hotel room and an early start in the AM.

18 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I like that so many hotels now offer actual free breakfast.  Next best are the ones next door to a Waffle House!

Of course, out of the 6 hotels in Florence, SC I picked the one without the free breakfast.