What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Glad you're doing better, Deb - I'm joining in the group hug. :)

Had company over the weekend, so no mini-ing, but we did some "major-ing".  My aunt (the one who's been ill) and her daughter came over and spent 2 days with us. Auntie is doing much better, but not out of the woods yet. My cousin and DH starting construction on our back porch. My cousin had an uncle in construction, who mentored her from early childhood, and that, combined with the family artistic bent, has made her very good at designing and creating RL scenes. DH is the practical type - no "vision" - who can follow the plans laid out for him. So together they are making a great team. Our porch has a cement floor and a roof; electricity and water, but is open to the elements on one side. So we are closing it in with lots of windows, and minimum wood to hold them together; in the idea of a sunroom, but not with a glass roof. They got a good start on it last weekend and my cousin will come back in three weeks when they can hopefully finish the project. I can hardly wait!  :)

• Like 2

Tomorrow I start another event, a four-day Spring Fair, so I won't be on here for awhile. The show runs 12-hour days, plus my 2-hour commute, so it doesn't leave much time for anything else. Can't seem to get this forum very well on my cell phone, so I'll have to wait till Monday to pop in again. Hope little Miss Appleby doesn't miss me too much, and ruin her new wallpaper with her tears! 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it Deb, but glad you're back on the forum. My mom has bad arthritis, and every day it seems a different part of her body hurts. It's a merry-go-round between her hands, her knees, her feet, her shoulder and her back. Doctors haven't really been able to help her with it either. So I just chip in and help her with whatever needs doing. Isn't McCaffrey great? I did the same thing a few months ago. Oh and C J, you'll probably be thinking up new things while you're so busy, and I'm looking forward to seeing you do them when you get the time.

Deb, it's good to see you! :hugs: Your Pern comment made me think of something I saw at Costco a few months back. It was raining so I was hurrying in, but I was stopped in my tracks by the biggest bronze-colored car I've ever seen.  I was trying to figure out who would have a car custom painted like it when I caught sight of the vanity plate, MNEMENTH.  Made perfect sense!

I'm finishing my two tables for the women's event, and decorate everything tonight. 16 ladies will be at my tables; I'm headed to Huntsville, about 60 miles away, tomorrow morning to "Nothing Bundt Cakes" to get individual little cakes for our desserts. I wanted something unique and have already done Gigi's cupcakes previously. Hope this rain stops!

I haven't had much time for mini-ing lately. Last weekend was the adoptive mom conference at church and I was the hospitality person in addition to making four cheesecakes. This weekend is a homeschooling conference. Add to that doing tech team Sunday morning, remodeling the RL kitchen, Wednesday night church with 40+ 3-5-year-olds, Sunday night missions class, babysitting nephews, and fundraising for our Peru missions trip this summer. I'm not sure I'll get anything with a deadline done in time. I'm just glad I have a chiropractor again, after the last one left town literally overnight and wouldn't respond to any requests for information until I texted that I would report him to the board of healing arts. That's been totally awesome. /sarc

Oh my everyone is so busy and productive. So jealous of all your energy and cool ideas.

I'm still laying around like a lug. 3 1/2 weeks now. Still can't drive. Feel trapped and useless. Gotta find a energy potion somewhere. Boot myself out of this rut. Sort of an endless treadmill at this point. Arggh. I want myself back. It's time for this "recovery" to be over! I'm SO done with this!

I have some daffodils blooming and lots more poked up.

(picture is not mine - from Google images)

post-2708-0-22420300-1429311883_thumb.jp

We got the bikes out yesterday and pumped up the tires so the kiddos could get moving. I couldn't get on mine at all. Bummer. I ride the exercise stationary bike inside but it's not quite the same fun.

• Like 1

One day soon, Selkie, one day soon. You'll be riding rings around the kiddos one day soon. :D

I've just about got the library sorted and packed. It meant going through 30 years of filing. Amazing how little of it needs to be kept, and I suspect I could have trashed what little made it into the "Move to NOLA" boxes. One room down as we move inexorably toward the move.

• Like 2

I am working on cleaning my craft room, I have too much stuff and cannot work in there.! I need to rearrange and decide what I am doing with a few houses.... I have some rehabs that desperately need loved... I really want to work on them and get them ready for new homes. I have a few I will never part with and those need finished, touched up and displayed.! That is my goal.! The others will be sold, or donated.! I just need to get that going.! I have missed you all. Been so busy with everything real life has dropped on me. My oldest son is Graduating High school this year so I am very busy with all that stuff. I am now working 2 part time jobs, have been since August of 2014. I've  also been working on decluttering my home.! I've got a lot that is going, hopefully having a yard sale soon to make $$ for my sons graduation party.!  I want my craft room back and my home back.! Feeling overwhelmed.... You just don't realize what you have accumulated in 10 years.! LOL !!! I am finding out now.!  Well, Im\'m off to tackle the craft room and wil be back to check in on you all very soon.!!!

Kellee

.... You just don't realize what you have accumulated in 10 years.! LOL !!! I am finding out now.! Well, Im\'m off to tackle the craft room and wil be back to check in on you all very soon.!!!

Kellee

RL - sigh - has it's perks but can surely rob you of creative time!!!

You go gal, you can reclaim that craft room all just for you. You need it for your sanity and respite spot.

Good luck.

Got two Miniature mysteries books by Margaret Grace int eh mail today, so if you miss me I am n the reading croner....

Hugs

Anna, I really enjoy reading Margaret Grace's books. I found my first one at a used book store only because I was roaming the shelves as I was passing the time waiting for my brother to meet me there. After reading the first one, I had to quickly buy more and bought the others NEW.

Today, I am finally getting back into my work space (guest room converted to mini making space). I haven't worked in there since the end of January. Today, I am preparing the work area for the arrival of my new dollhouse kit, the Greenleaf Westville (get to pick it up on Tuesday). I have so many unfinished projects, but I am so excited to begin another one. There just aren't enough hours available to work on all the projects I want to accomplish. Should have started years ago.

• Like 3

My clutter is becoming overwhelming too, Kelly. I should be dealing with all of my stuff this weekend but minis is much more fun and interesting. So. I've just painted some watercolor paper gray to test out as a slate floor. The color came out good and the texture may work for the look I want. Still trying to decide if I really want to cut a hole in the second floor for a ladder. Decisions, decisions!

We finished up yesterday with a grocery stop at Rouse's in Gulf Shores (they are reportedly looking to expand into Pensacola); one of the joys of traveling in LA was discovering Rouse's, and now they, like Publix, are on the move.  Anyway, having the ingredients in hand I made gumbo this AM and even though we usually wait 24 hours to start eating it, the aroma got to us and we ate some for supper (burp).

We caught another break in the weather and spent all day working on remulching and planting. Wow it seems like all landscaping supplies and plants $ have increased drastically since last year! The rain and storms predicted to come in overnight. It was a great day with exception of running into an ant bed in one of my large fern pots. Gerald got multiple bites while I got lucky cause I was working on the smaller pot. Our behinds are dragging but so happy that everything has turned green and warm. Grilling burgers tomorrow after church.

I headed downstairs and started packing up miniature stuff in the craft area. Can't possibly take it all with me to NOLA. Triage is going to be difficult. I'm going to donate one of my houses to the local hospital for their annual auction. Not sure what to do with several houses still in boxes, not sure what will happen to the rest of the already built houses. I'm plugging along with full faith that it will all come right in the end.

• Like 1

I headed downstairs and started packing up miniature stuff in the craft area. Can't possibly take it all with me to NOLA. Triage is going to be difficult. I'm going to donate one of my houses to the local hospital for their annual auction. Not sure what to do with several houses still in boxes, not sure what will happen to the rest of the already built houses. I'm plugging along with full faith that it will all come right in the end.

I still say you need to change condos in this whole process so you get one with another bedroom that becomes the studio/gallery for you both. A place to honor both of you in your artistic endeavors and create space to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Getting rid of duplicate items and extra supplies is one thing but getting rid of pieces of yourself that you are invested into, is quite another process. I'd hate to see you live with regrets later because of it. Please be careful as you sort that you don't shortchange yourself of parts of your personal legacy and creativity.

You are already giving up so many things you love from MO like your beautiful home, your lovely gardens and the cooler weather in the summer, not to mention your social circle from that area. It seems to me you need to bring some "unnecessary" things with you to still feel like yourself when all is said and done.

Course that's just me and I'm not you. So please take it with the love and concern for your future happiness that I intend. Hugs ....

• Like 2

Not to worry, Selkie. We've already rented a climate-controlled storage area not far from the condo. At the very least, we'll be able to rotate our artwork in an ever changing exhibit. The Christmas house will come out in December, the Halloween House in October ... and we've figured out how to get more shelf space to display some of Lloyd's ceramic pieces. My biggest issue is that I'll have 2 large houses under construction at the same time -- the Beacon Hill and the Pierce. I think the Pierce and all of its accoutrements will go into storage until the BH is finished. What a great incentive to get the BH finished, eh?

As for what we'll be missing here in MO, I look at it as a blessing to have enjoyed the place for nearly ten years. The garden is getting to be too much to handle, and the back and forth between houses has become tiresome. It's time to make the move, and the fact that we're both in relatively good health & able to do the sorting and packing makes it all the more imperative to do it now. (And I've already started researching cruises to get us out of the sauna that is NOLA in the summer. :D )

I'm pleased to report that Lloyd took a hint from my purging of files and other non-critical paper records and has started cleaning out some of his dozens of notebooks, some of which date back to the 1950s and haven't been opened in 60+ years.  He's packing up stuff he's saved from when his kids were in elementary school and sending it to them. We're both having a good time reminiscing as we sort through boxes and drawers.  It's a good thing we're doing, Selkie. Not to worry. :)

• Like 3

Kathie, I'm feeling your pain. The last time I declutered was to make room for my desceased inlaws clutter which had been in boxes in our garage for 8 years now. My FIL was an officer for a large chemical company and there are tons of awards and articles about him which my husband sorted through yesterday. I found myself walking by him saying " are you really throwing that out?" But realizing it can't all be saved, we decided to just save all the photos of him receiving the awards.

When I went through the photo albums I pulled the ones that included people and mailed them off to the person involved. I kept a handful of photos that will be framed and displayed. No more albums. All of the hundreds and hundreds of "scenic" shots from world travels were pitched out. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have spent more time being in the moment and a lot less time taking pictures.

This morning I  worked outside, pulling wire grass out of the flower bed that runs along the outside of the front fence. We've had a lot of rain, so the soil is too wet to plant but just right for pulling up that tenacious plant.  

Absolutely gorgeous art, everyone! Had to drive through quite a bit of rain, but we got there. Had lunch at a café just down the street from the museum, called "Michael's", mimosas and Sunday brunch seemed quite popular, but not with me. Went through the buffet and had some very tasty BBQ chicken breast and macaroni and cheese, and something green, maybe beans? The chicken and macaroni were so tasty the green stuff didn't leave much of an impression, LOL! Then we walked down to the museum and saw the exhibit which was just fantastic! Lots of beautiful skies and use of sun and shadow in his pictures, as well as blooming flowers. Everyone picked a different favorite painting: My dad liked one called "hilltop walk", my mom liked one called "the hilltop" and I liked one called "Betty Newell", but it was hard to pick just one favorite. They only had one of the paintings I liked as a postcard in the gift shop, so when I saw the price of the exhibit catalog for under $30, I bought that. Now I can flip through and it's just like being back there again! Links to everyone's favorite pictures, in reverse order, are: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Charles_Courtney_Curran_-_Betty_Newell.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maqimz1PZ61qb5e7io1_500.jpg

http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/display_image.php?id=514778

And this is what the exhibit catalog looked like:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0085/8802/products/Curran_catalogue_web_grande.jpg?v=1412022832

Then we went upstairs and zipped through the permanent collection. They have two tiffany lamps, and some of his glassware, including one of his iridescent peacock vases, two chihuly sculptures as well, but I love the Monet they have, just gorgeous, all blues, greens, and purples. This is what it looks like:

http://unmatchedstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/claude_monet.jpg