What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Jeremy, yay on your new job!  So glad you finally got started with it after all this time.  And love the fire pit! 

Selkie, welcome back!  Hope you heal and recover quickly.

Lawson's finger...  well, I figured if I took him to the ER, they would do stitches because he was there, but thought it'd be okay without them, just keep it clean and sealed.  Well.

Thursday he went to the school clinic (he's in college).  One nurse "committed blasphemy" (his words) when he took off the bandage, and the other chastised him for not getting it looked at sooner (he didn't go until after his morning classes).  They said it needed stitches, it was pretty deep, but then determined it had been too long and they couldn't do it.  So they put some steri-strips on and bandaged it up.  Last night while he slept the strips finally came off, and I got the first look at it this morning.  Ewww.  It is not healing nicely, and it has been bleeding still.  Don't think I can mush it together with butterfly bandages at this point.  Tonight I will try and clean it real good and see what I can do.

Lawson has really gotten into models lately, building Gundam and other anime robots.  He's doing a good job, and we can relate with minis and models, so that's neat.  He even uses some of my tools and supplies (I no longer have a self-healing cutting mat...).  He just needs to find a different way to cut the "nubs" off.  I went in his room a few minutes ago, and there he was still pulling the knife towards his fingers.  :(  Ugh.  The problem is that using small cutters scars the plastic, so I'm not sure what the solution is.

I went and bought some first aid supplies tonight...

Micromark sells some knippers made for modelers to take those nubs off cleanly. I'm on my phone right now so I can't link it but they are just the what he needs.

Hope his finger heals quickly.

He does (supposedly) have special nippers, that he bought at the model store.  I'll check Micromark and see what else I can find.  Maybe those will be better.  Thanks!  

And Holly, I have got him some emery boards, and some of those model sanding films.  Hopefully those will help!

The clinic checked on his tetanus shot, and determined he didn't need one.  Yay.

I'm planning to take out that carpet (horrible) in my workroom and put in a vinyl floor. After long considerations I actually decided on vinyl tiles so that I can replace them if needed in certain areas (worktable and thereabouts) I've cleaned out a part of the room already and hopefully I can get at least half the room done. I can't move all 5 shelves out of that room so when half of it is done I'll have to move everything to the finished half and do the rest. I am so not looking forward to this.....

Tomorrow I will be meeting with the head of the Psychology department of my University to discuss funding for my PhD - but I don't think it's looking good. The faculty wants me to start the program anyways, but I really don't think that I will if I am not at least offered partial funding. I guess. I'll find out what my options are - finally,.

Some universities will offer teaching positions as part of the funding, Chris.  At least that was so when I was in uni; the graduate instructors used to use us in their dissertation experiments for "extra credit".

Ok, so today has been one of those bad and short-tempered kind of days.... Just call me Mrs Grouchy Principal, or Grincipal or something like that... Think Grincipal may be my new nickname around here as of today ;)

Then again, not been chewing on anyone, just a tad irritated...

On a happier note, the ebay seller is being really nice about the shipping mess and I suppose take some of it so the shipping won't be wayyyy to high why I am going to deal with that in the tomorrow sending the extra amount.

Hugs

Going to my monthly therapeutic massage appointment tonite- boy do I need it badly!  :stretcher:

My back was already going bad and then over the weekend I had the chance to hold three precious newborns! :cloud9:  Today's pain was totally worth it!

Had a very rare girly day. I was asked to pick up some of our clubs displays at the Boca Raton Community Center. Just a few blocks from there is Mizner Park, a lovely shopping center. In it there is a very rare (to south Florida) Lord & Taylor department store. I'm heading to Europe for a month soon so it's time to think about necessities for the trip. I found a lovely light blue cardigan and scarf. While I was having my makeup done. The attendant asked me what environment my skin is usually exposed to. I said, "Stone dust, saw dust, glues, solvents, paints and a hot garage".

• Like 1

Glad to hear so many are heading out on mini trips of all sorts. I'm living vicariously through you all at this point. Enjoying your shopping and massages and camping trips and vacas and moving plans and European adventures, miniature plans and purchases, and all the rest. Whew! It's hard to keep up with you all. 

I'm still very much house bound and hobbly wobbly. :ill: Sick of being the invalid and just want "myself" back. Is that even possible? Anyway, healing is going along as it should. I'm just antsy and impatient and irritable :mad: and bored and sick of pain, swelling, ice packs, meds, and all such manner of stuff that goes with TKR surgery.

The PT comes each day for my torture treatments :compress: and the nurse comes to see if I survived it. (tee hee hee) I get the staples out on Friday so that will be my first expedition. No doubt it will do me in since it's a long ride aways from my boondocks.

We have a lot of nice friends who have brought a lot of nice meals and treats for the children which is so appreciated. :flowers: Even from our own GL family!

Selkie, it does my heart good to hear you sounding like your old self. If we lived closer, you'd be getting TLC from me too:)

I found some lovely strawberries at the store on Saturday, so today I made a pound cake to go with them.  I considered halving my favorite recipe as I should be on a diet, but I am in rebellion :lol:

I also ordered a Fairfield with my HBS coupon because there's just a little more room at the top of my stash :)

My son got me out of bed at 1AM last night because the kitchen was filling with smoke. He had been making himself a cup of tea in the microwave, then went to the bathroom. When he came out he smelled smoke and the microwave had turned off. I came downstairs to see smoke all along the kitchen ceiling. Of course, the smoke alarm in the front hall, which beeps like crazy if I scorch something in the broiler,  didn't make a sound. 

I could smell that it had been an electrical fire. Funny thing, earlier yesterday I has trying to remember when we bought that microwave and if it was going to die soon.

Yikes! Glad you're ok Grazhina. And Selkie, good to hear you're recovering, albeit slowly. I've been ebaying up a storm, buying all sorts of mini things...have to start imposing a weekly limit on myself. Oh, and the last things I ordered from the online mini show came yesterday, so very happy when I opened my little box. And I've been back in the glass studio this week, finishing up those commissions I mentioned a while ago. Have to take pictures once I get those frames on!

Edited by blueirishmoon

Yesterday morning, after my microwave got smoked, I started searching online to find a replacement locally. I wanted to be able to pick it up at the store, and return it just as easily if there was a problem with it.

I found the perfect microwave oven for my needs on Sears.com, but it said the store only had 3 of them left in stock, so I ordered one for store pickup.

I waited all day for my confirmation email and pickup slip. This morning still no email from Sears, but according to their website, my microwave was ready to be picked up at my local store. --- But I needed to bring my email, which I didn't have.

I called the store, got transferred to a guy in appliances who said they had 1 of them left, and gave me the phone number at Sears.com. I called Sears.com and went through a bunch of recorded messages that were of no help. I called the number back, and ignoring all the recorded messages, waited for a human. He called my local store and said I was all set, just go to the store and pick it up with the order number I had printed from Sears.com. 

I am so glad I printed that page, just to be on the safe side.

Walking into the Sears appliance department, I saw a rep who knew just what I was there for. She told me to drive down to the warehouse pickup which was down a back road from the mall. When I got there, I was told they only had the wall mounted microwaves that hung over the stove, and sent me back to the store.

Back in the store I found an office where I got some more assistance, because I couldn't scan my barcode at the pickup area because I didn't have an email with the barcode for my order.

I finally got my microwave oven, It fits just fine in the specially designed microwave cabinet in my kitchen, worked fine to make DH a cup of tea, and is much quieter than my old model.

DS came along on my trip to Sears, loading the heavy box in and out of the trunk. We stopped at IHOP for lunch. The spicy chicken ranch sandwich was quite tasty.

The back is still being a literal pain-in-the-butt, so I spent the evening lying on the coach working on wiring a couple of sconces for the Ellwanger house.

It's Easter weekend, and our family will be having dinner at my parents' house - - and this year we finally convinced her to let everyone bring the food so she wouldn't have to cook!  Therefore, I decided that I wanted a coconut cake for Easter this year.  So in between sconces I baked a cake.  :)  I know - the whole idea for my evening was to REST my back.  Well, it got a little rest anyway! ;)

Coconut cake, huh? Too bad I don't live in SE PA anymore, I could go for some good coconut cake.

Back a pain in the butt, literally--  been there, done that many times. As long as you enjoyed the baking it's not so bad, and you get to eat cake.

Come to think of it my present hip pain is actually in my butt. It's been there to one degree or another all week.

• Like 1

Our overhead microwave died quite awhile ago, though not quite as dramatically as Grazhina's! DH was out of town so I just bought a  table model and we've been using that ever since. Last week I finally picked up another overhead one, rebuilt (much cheaper than new) and we haven't got it installed yet. My cousin is coming over sometime in the near future to help DH install it. The beast is very heavy!

We had a birthday dinner for DH last night - with grilled 16-oz New York Strip steaks, sauteed mushrooms and onions, palm heart salad, and baked potatoes.  :eatyum:  Cooked it all at home and it was so much better than a restaurant.    

Our indoor pond sprung a leak, so after a week of dealing with flooded offices, I tried to find someone to take the fish. No dice. So I found a crew to rebuild the pond bigger. Then my stove seriously overheated and cooked my turkey to a crisp last sunday and then my washer died on tuesday. So the last two and a half weeks have been chaos. But now the pond is done (except for details) and the repairman will be out to finish fixing the oven and look at the washer on monday.

Here is the pond (liner isn't trimmed yet) and one of the fish.

post-1142-0-40164100-1428120328_thumb.jp

post-1142-0-85513000-1428120356_thumb.jp

Yikes - sounds like you need a break! Hope spring is becoming beautiful where you live so you can a least enjoy some beauty outdoors for free.