What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We are considering selling our house within the next year so it's time to tackle the garage. It needs a new hurricane rated garage door built to current hurricane standards which requires some beefing up of the ceiling supports. It's also a safety hazard because it does not have an auto stop should anyone get caught under it. New paint on the ceiling, walls and floor. Of course all this can't be done until I clean it out. So the next few weeks will consist of trips to the dump with old hurricane shutters, multiple cans of house paint (to be recycled), and a lot of other stuff. Since my main workspace is in the garage, I've already cleaned out bits of wood I know I'll never use. I work on the two year theory...if I haven't touched it it two years, it's never going to be touched. So my husbands training manuals and other work related junk from 20 years ago must be purged. I'm NOT paying someone to move that junk and have it sit for another 20 years! But that's a secret.

• Like 1

Thanks Tracy, Selkie and Holly.

Jackie- you were in Florida and didn't stop by to say hi? :p

Sorry Jeremy- I didn't even get to see my mini friend, Carole, and she lives just a few miles from my son!  :/    My son kept us very busy visiting Disney for 3 days!  

I think the next time we plan a trip down, I think that I will need to plan for an extra couple of days just so I can make the rounds and visit all of my mini friends down there!  :)

• Like 1

Well, I've had an interesting afternoon!  Yesterday I received a text message on Facebook, from a lady saying she was also a miniaturist and she saw that I lived in the Seattle area, and she lives in Belfair - the next town just 7 miles up the road from us where we do a lot of our shopping. We agreed to meet for coffee today at the snack area of the grocery store. She's a wonderful person and we had a great time. She has built a lot of dollhouses, and rehabbed a lot of them she's found at sales, or on the curb.  She said she joined this forum many years ago, but lost her password and was having computer problems so she just dropped it. I encouraged her to rejoin. So fun to meet another miniaturist in person, especially one living almost next door :)

• Like 1

Ugh, Lawson just cut his finger with an exacto knife, pretty bad. I've never seen blood just pour out like that. Bleeding is almost stopped after about 15 minutes, and from what I could tell it was a straight down cut. Unlike last time when he took off a small part of his finger tip. Hoping for no trip to the ER tonight.

Our indoor pond at work has sprung a leak so chaos is trying hard to take over. I called everyone I could think of in the US who has fish facilities and no one can take the fish. They are just too large. So we will be keeping them. I had to find a new liner and line up someone to help me enlarge it (may as well since the fish are too big for what we have). Now I just have to find a net big enough for them. (my catfish are about 4 foot long and about 90 pounds).

I'm helping a friend with her son's Eagle Scout Honors Ceremony and Reception this weekend. Reading over the program and symbolism is really moving. I never realized it has such a Native American theme. I'm honored to help with Parker's ceremony; only 2% of scouts make it all the way to Eagle.

• Like 1

Catfish fry Deana?  Runs for cover.....

I'm bad, too, Debra; I started thinking of my favorite hush puppy recipe!

I had to have lab work done this AM for my semi-annual physical in two weeks.  The upside is that DH takes me out to breakfast afterwards and we shop until we drop after that.  We didn't drop today, since tonight is the high school and college jazz competition where the top five finalists compete for five scholarships.  Anyway, our last stop we took all the recyclable raft goodies and other stuff since our last donation trip and hit our favorite thrift store.  I found a Decorating & Craft Ideas with an article on miniature landscaping, and a crossstitch leaflet with Asian motives suitable for minis.  I also found a print top that cried out for embroidered embellishment, so that's my latest project.

I started my new job as a contractor with the V.A. last week.  I finally started my first day of classroom training today.  The previous 8 days were spent shadowing another employee.

I also started a new RL project in the back yard last weekend:

• Like 2

Home from the hospital. Now comes the hardest part - the rehabilitation.

Very lightheaded and quite wobbly at this point. High fall risk at the moment which is a big No No at this stage of the game. I had a tip over at the hospital  but a nurse was standing close by and was able to stop the crash so I didn't end up with having a high impact fall, thankfully.

Here commences the test of patience for the most impatient person in the universe - Go slowly and do all the fussy bits of things they ask me to do, how they are want them done. I know it all makes sense intellectually but my pit bull nature, all disguised as a rutabaga shaped blob makes the competition to comply, a raging war in my head.

Aw man, Just do it correctly Selkie. Do what they say and you'll soon be zipping around again. Do it "your" way and you'll have wasted the whole deal.

• Like 1

I feel what you're going through, Selkie.  There is a war between your brain and your gut instinct; let your brain win this one.  Nice fire pit, Jeremy, and good news on the job.

• Like 1

Jeremy. your fire pit is great and I'm happy your new job finally started!

Selkie, it's so good to "see" you :lol: Now be a good girl and do all their stupid exercises! We want you to be running rings around everyone again as soon as possible. :)

Glad to see you back, Selkie!   And yes- please listen to your brain and BEHAVE!!  I know it will be difficult...and remember, we are all here for you to listen to any whining or complaining you want to do.  :) 

Jeremy- nice firepit!  Wanna come to PA to put one in for me?  :)

Tracy- how's Lawson's finger doing?

I'm helping a friend with her son's Eagle Scout Honors Ceremony and Reception this weekend. Reading over the program and symbolism is really moving. I never realized it has such a Native American theme. I'm honored to help with Parker's ceremony; only 2% of scouts make it all the way to Eagle.

Sue-  how wonderful that you were able to help with such a momentous occasion!  Being an Eagle Scout is a big deal!  My son was an Eagle Scout, but achieved it at the tail end of a rather unpleasant year when several of the Scouts were involved in a ridiculous lawsuit brought on by another Scout parent.  Also, he was about to leave for college so he opted not to have the ceremony.  I was quite upset - I had been dreaming of and planning for this celebration for years! Nonetheless, we abided by his wishes.

So enjoy this opportunity to share in this young man's achievement!  Congratulations to Parker!  :)

• Like 2

Selkie, I hope that your rehab works out well and you are better soon!  Sorry I missed your post earlier about your knee surgery.

Yay Jeremy!   Good for you on your new job!!! 

Me, allergy season has started and I am miserable.  ha    I love to be outside this time of the year and so I make things worse wandering around in the desert all day.

I have some cleaning projects planned as soon as I wrap up my latest project maybe later today.

I am spray painting a table for the courtyard and ran out of paint so back to Wally Mart I go! Hi Hi Ho!

Have a great weekend everyone! 

Jeremy- nice firepit!  Wanna come to PA to put one in for me?  :)

Jackie,

I'm still sore from building mine!  :p

I mowed about half of my lawn for the first time this year.  I was hoping to put it off until April, but who was I kidding?  I live in Florida.  I'm taking a short break to cool off before I try to move a couple of the sable palms out from under the tree canopy.  There are more than a dozen in my back yard, but they will probably thrive better with more sun light in the front yard.  I plan to put six along the fence and several others just north of the back yard canopy.

• Like 1

Sulking a little as I placed a purchase on Ebay over the weekend, a BIN instead of waiting on the auction, hence paying what the seller asked. Apparently the seller had made an error in listing the shipping, adding international shipping in some other way than the Global Shipping program...

Had a confirmation mail over the weekend telling me the item would ship come Monday and today there is a message from ebay as well as the seller telling me that would you please agree with the seller to pay exact shipping to your locatin as as the seller made an error in the listing making the shipping twice as much and then some compared to the item itself and the shipping multiply by 4 if I guess-timate correctly....

Hmm... Not sure if it is worth the bother, might just well cancel the whole thing and that is why I am sulking as it was an auction for three mini Harleys in 1:18 scale, "vintage" styled bikes...

Hugs

:hug: Anna

After frogging those lovely longjohn leg backs three more times I'm knitting them again with crossed fingers.  Meanwhile I got the commode seat and lid cut, sanded and stained.

Anna,

I know the products that you're waiting for.  I was going to build a miniature Harley Davidson dealership for the same 1:18 scale bikes, but I couldn't get a Trademark clearance from HD.  They're as unreliable as their product. :rolleyes:

I started my 3rd week (and 2nd week of training) at the new job.  I don't know when I'm switching to 2nd shift, but I hope I get enough warning to arrange for a nanny service for the kids. 

Just finished a 4-day jaunt at a Home and Garden Show about 100 miles north of here. It was a good show, but the highlight for me was stopping at a Hobby Lobby along the way and getting some mini and craft supplies. :)