What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I was nominated to be VP of our mini club in Boca Raton. I'm running unopposed. They insisted that it's time for the younger generation to be more involved in running the club. I'm 60.

Thats great Sable. I just wish we had a mini club.

Sable, your mini club sounds like every organization we belong to; we're both 73 so we don't get picked for those things any longer.  I'm still assembling dining chairs today, although its been threatening rain already this AM.

Congratulations! I too wish there was a mini club, store, anything within 100 miles. Thank goodness for all of you and this forum :) 

Surprise, surprise it's snowing again :frusty: My dogs are not happy, but my kids are since they have no school today.  Since the two big strapping lads will be home, I think we will move some furniture. They should be begging to go back to school by about 11 am :lol: 

• Like 3

Surprise, surprise it's snowing again :frusty: My dogs are not happy, but my kids are since they have no school today.  Since the two big strapping lads will be home, I think we will move some furniture. They should be begging to go back to school by about 11 am :lol:

It started here around 6am. There is a nice coating of ice underneath. BLAH!

It will be upper 40s soon. I caught the cooties from the kid. It isnt too bad. Dayquil to the rescue. Yesterday I cleaned my desk. Today I think I will clean out the pantry.

Today we have ICE! 24 hours ago it was 70 and now its 22deg! Its eerie. But I like my day at home as long as the power holds. I pulled all my boxes of minis I've accumulated these last several months to organize better. Anyone got a good system they use that helps find what they are looking for?

• Like 1

Today we have ICE! 24 hours ago it was 70 and now its 22deg! Its eerie. But I like my day at home as long as the power holds. I pulled all my boxes of minis I've accumulated these last several months to organize better. Anyone got a good system they use that helps find what they are looking for?

They don't seem to last once I get the Frenzy on.Its still warm here and wants to rain, but our forecast for today is 40sF.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get to minis today long enough to put a coat of satin finish clear polyurethane on the Realife dining room set. 

Real life is intervening something fierce. I'm trying to organize part of L's family into forming an association to protect and preserve a family cemetery, which is taking more diplomatic skills than I'm known to have, all the while trying to research and write the family history and the history of the cemetery. 

We made one decision in the past few days. It is time to sell the Missouri house and live in NOLA full time. We're too old (at 74 & 80) to be running up and down the country every six months and having to deal with the details of this kind of lifestyle. We're already scheduled to come back here in June for some family business. We knew this would happen eventually. It's better to do it now, while we're both healthy and active, than wait until one of us is incapacitated.

In a way it will be simple. 1) Figure out what few things we want to take with us. (No furniture, the condo is furnished. The artwork we've amassed will go into a climate-controlled storage facility near the condo. Not much else; it has already been duplicated or can be replaced.) 2)  Have my sis & bro come get whatever family heirlooms they want that are in my possession. 3) Have a house auction to clear out everything else. 4) Sell the house. 

What to do with my dollhouses, the Mardi Gras float, houseboat, etc.? Maybe they'll just go into the auction, except for the White Orchid. That one will come South with us. :) L is thinking about renting studio space somewhere outside of the condo. My miniatures might find a home there. It will all sort out.

We'll be busy this summer.

• Like 2

Maybe, in all your changing around, you could just get a larger condo so you could have storage and have studio space right at hand.

As time passes, it will be more appealing to walk down the hall to the studio than to have to drive or get transportation to an outside facility.

While I don't envy you the hassle, dear heart, I am delighted to have the two of you closer full time so that we can work in visits back & forth.

If we don't spend too much time running errands I hope to finish the dining chairs; or at least get the seats done.  I went rooting in my supply stash and found kits for an inlay piecrust table and a trunk.  The table base and top are glued separately and drying.  I finished the last bits of the dining table and its staged with the armchairs, etc.

Maybe, in all your changing around, you could just get a larger condo so you could have storage and have studio space right at hand.

As time passes, it will be more appealing to walk down the hall to the studio than to have to drive or get transportation to an outside facility.

That's a possibility, although I'm not sure L will follow through on the outside studio idea. In fact, I'm counting on it. :D  He's been saying he'd like to do this for a few years and hasn't once made an effort to look. He's still working on a variety of pieces -- papiér maché sculpture, bas relief wood carving, painting, drawing -- that he can do very well right here.

I love how the room y'all are using for your studios has that wonderful light!

I had to put one of the dining chairs back into the gluing jig, but the seats are glued and clamped to the other three.  The inlay top of the piecrust table is glued to its base and will get its coat of poly tomorrow.  I got out the tester bed to try for fit once the house is upright again (not until I finish bricking the foundation and some final spackle to tweak the porch into respectability); storage was unkind to it and some of the canopy components have been reglued; also repaired a crib acquired in our travels.

One coat of poly applied. I like the way it looks. It slightly darkened the stain. This is looking like a nice old Victorian dining room set. I think a rubdown with a brown paper bag and another coat of poly and it will be good to go. Need to find some silk or lightweight satin for the chair cushions but may wait until I figure out the wall treatment for that room so the colors will work well together.

Sable, your mini club sounds like every organization we belong to; we're both 73 so we don't get picked for those things any longer.

You'd still be considered a "spring chicken" and they would have gone after you in an instant.

You'd still be considered a "spring chicken" and they would have gone after you in an instant.

I love it that at age 74 I can walk into a roomful of people and drop the average age to 85. :roflmao:

• Like 4

We were the babies in our local Florida Trail chapter until this last year we got a half dozen new members in their forties!  We actually have more members, but those who turn out for the hikes and meetings all look like nursing home refugees, like us.

So, come Sunday we will be heading south... First stop my parents over the night and from there early Monday morning we will flying to Fuertaventura for a week of nothing but relaxing as in hiling, mountainbiking, spa sessions and hopefully enjoying some good weather.

Soooo looking forward to that, we'll be staying at a spa and wellness resort, hemce the trekking and mountainbike schedule.

Hugs

• Like 1

Have fun out of the snow & cold, Anna.

Temps went into the 50Fs today so I went out and glued the last slat into the three dining chairs that will be done when they come out of the jig.  When I finish reading the forum I'm going back out to glue up the last chair and take the last clamp off the piecrust table. 
Then I think I'll stain the wood pieces of the trunk kit.

This has been a lost week for me.   I was sick all week and today finally got out of the house to the post office.  That was my big outing for the week!   I then took a 15 min walk and that totally exhausted me.  

Have a good weekend.  :)

This has been a lost week for me.   I was sick all week and today finally got out of the house to the post office.  That was my big outing for the week!   I then took a 15 min walk and that totally exhausted me.  

Have a good weekend.  :)

I hear you Roxy. I've been fighting this ick for three weeks and I've got another week of antibiotics to go. :(

I hope we're both feeling better soon!

• Like 1

Thanks Debora too!    I am so tired I haven't done a thing around the house all week and today, feeling a tiny bit better I tackled most of it.........now I pay.

I am ready to crawl back into bed right now!   I think spring is right around the corner maybe that will help?  :hehe: