What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Last night I went into my closet to get something and, to my dismay, the lower shelf where I hang blouses and shorter items, had broken and collapsed. So all my clothes are crumpled on the floor.  :oops:  I just walked away from it.

This morning I put all the clothes on my bed and DH is in the process of fixing it. It's one of those plastic-covered wire racks, so nice for organizing closets, and after about 13 years the plastic bracket on the wall broke. And Humpty Dumpty hit the deck!

• Like 1

Washington got played with today.  I also began to work on a crochet bride doll kit I found in a thrift store this past week.  There was no date on the kit anywhere, but the paper, the cellophane and the rubberband holding the doll's arms and head on her body were all rotten (the paper isn't crumbly, but the top fold is almost too brown to read).  The W T Grant price tag on the box reads $2.97...  Anyway, DH and I spent about an hour replacing the rubberband (many, many *MAGIC* words) and the doll is now wearing a pair of lace-trimmed satin drawers.  I'm fixing to join the crinoline to the slip and fit them to the doll together and then start the crochet.

Back home again after two interesting days at the University of Umeå. Food for thoughts and interesting perspectives on changing/developments within our own organisations. Now to try and unwind and get a few hours of sleep...

Hugs

• Like 1

Anna, my two very favorite parts of any journey are the new learning experiences and the return back home.  When were out on the road in the RV other campers ask us if we're full-timers and my response is no, I love my little house in Seminole too much.

I can look out the front window and see the frost on the car windows and I think today I'll work on the doll and mini rug (started a new one).

• Like 1

The partially built sideboard for the Realife Miniatures dining room set has been sitting on the work table for a week. Life seems to be tossing several time-consuming projects at me (and Lloyd) all of a sudden, several with impending deadlines. I need some mini time!

• Like 1

Kathie, you said it! I am going through the same thing, and it's not pretty right now. Tonight I'm so looking forward to my first evening at home this week. Hoping to get the roof on the house and work on sanding the front door to accommodate the kraft stick flooring. I have six cans from my pantry sitting on the floor inside the house to keep working on that warping issue. I used tacky glue but that stubborn floor does not want to level out.

So happy to see the forum up and running again, had troubles connecting last night and went into mini-withdrawl ;)

Today is filled with doing chores, as in cleaning, laundry and doing doshes, buthopefully after that I will be able toput in a few hours of prepping and painting the stone on the base of the lighthouse. Almost a little hesitant to start though, what if I mess it all up.... Eeek, but in a good way

Hugs

• Like 2

Anna, your approach to this project has been so thoughtful and methodical that I don't see how you can possible mess it up! Keep in mind that what has been painted can be painted again if you aren't pleased with the initial outcome. :D

• Like 1

.... I have six cans from my pantry sitting on the floor inside the house to keep working on that warping issue. I used tacky glue but that stubborn floor does not want to level out.

That is one reason I try to use the non-waterbased glues for flooring. I've fought with it like you are too many times and finally hit on using the other types of glue to keep the water content out of the equation. Works so much better for me. Maybe give it a try next time.

That is one reason I try to use the non-waterbased glues for flooring. I've fought with it like you are too many times and finally hit on using the other types of glue to keep the water content out of the equation. Works so much better for me. Maybe give it a try next time.

Hmmmm I used tacky glue. What would you suggest in its place?

One of my personal favorites is Quick Grip. You can find it in most craft stores and Walmart and such.

Some folks use E6000 which is a similar product.

Others use Liquid nails construction adhesive. There are several different kinds for different projects so you have to read the labels carefully to be sure you are getting the right kind. I've found the Liquid Nails to be a bit thick for using with shingles.

You can use a spray adhesive but I've not had great success with them. I mostly get the spray every where that I don't need it and none where I wanted it. But that's just me - Messy Martha.

Basically you are looking for a solvent based glue/adhesive, of which there are many, rather than a water based. If you clean it up with soap and water, it is water based and will creating more warping on the thinner woods like shingles and floorings.

• Like 1

For plain wood strips I use rubber cement.  I paint it on the floor, then paint a thin coat on the back of the flooring strip.  You want to lay your strips very carefully the first time, because I promise that the two surfaces bond to each other pretty thoroughly.  After I lay a section of flooring I take an old tablespoon and burnish the heck out of the floor with the spoon back.

• Like 1

Holly, I used to swear by rubber cement until I discovered that over time it tends to dry out and lose its grip. I've now relegated it to the hot glue category. -- use with caution.

As for what we're up to this week ... Mardi Gras is hard upon us and several of the parades are being broadcast on TV. The crowds are HUGE this year. Last night's Endymion parade had 3,000 riders flinging tons of beads, and the entire parade route was packed at least ten rows deep with enthusiastic parade viewers hollering the traditional, "Throw me somethin', mister!"  Watching the parades on TV while working on minis is more my speed these days. :D 

Some friends from Missouri will be here for Mardi Gras itself (Tuesday), when the weather forecast is 45F with rain. We told them to call us when they get tired of freezing their behinds and they can come watch the rest of the parade on tv with us.

Getting ready for "the big snow" tomorrow.  We will see. LOL!  DH took me to Michael's yesterday and I found the big rolls of mossy grass that looks so realistic. So now I can tell people I got a bag of grass for Valentine's Day... :punk:

• Like 4

As to the rubber cement dilemma, there are grades of it, i.e. school type and true contact cement for professional use. School grade won't last that's for sure.

Sort of like the school Elmers white glue vs. higher quality white tacky glues.

Of course nothing on this side of life is really ever permanent except our impending demise.

• Like 1

I no longer use the contact cement since I discovered iron-on wood veneer strips. A bead of good tacky glue will hold down the first row and the iron takes care of the rest.  Maggie's second floor is woodstrips with rubber cement and it's still holding, but I use the heavy duty stuff we used to use when I did pasteup for an offset print shop.

Kathie,  we'll be spending Tuesday watching parades; Monday is the regular Jazz Gumbo night at Seville Quarter, except this one will combine with a Mardi Gras party, so we're wearing our hats and fancy beads and taking an umbrella for the second line parade and enjoy listening to the Dixieland Dandies.

We'll be getting ready for the big storm too.   :drive: No matter how much snow, ice, sleet or freezing rain comes my way, I won't be leaving the house.  :cold:   According to the local weather station, the front will be moving in Monday afternoon and the rest of the week won't get above freezing until Friday.  Generally, in our area, ice is the biggest problem and we haven't had one since the winter after Katrina.  It is bound to happen and we're long overdue.  Thank goodness for our generator and a 3 burner Coleman stove.  At least we can have coffee and a hot meal. :eatyum:  :coffee:

I've got plenty of minis to keep me busy so I'll be good to go.  That is until it gets dark. :eek:

Gayle, one year while we lived in Union the coast got snow and people in Charleston were running into each other all over the city!

Jane Harrop's instructions include using the pin vise with a 1/32" drill bit to drill holes 3/8" deep into the centers of some of the 1/8" stripwood pieces.  Several colorful words later (that included discovering my pin vise won't hold a bit smaller than 1/4" and trying to get my little hand drill to stay centered whilst I attempted to drill the holes; I'll go back and use straight pin and my tiny hammer to do the *!!@#&! holes)  I did get the panels glued onto the center and flaps pieces for the table top, though, and they are firmly ensconced in clamps.  If I feel u to braving the cold again I'll o out and brick a bit on the foundation, but the new rug I've begun is very insistent..

Just sent in an application for a new job, in a different municipal/county (?) we'll see how that goes, sounded intruiging and just might be a new way to go... we'll see.....

Hugs

• Like 1