What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'm please to see how many employees our new HL has. Its great to be able to have assistance on every isle. Plus it's good to see all these added jobs in our community. Plus they sell dollhouse stuff which no other store in our area does. Plus they have been very helpful with setting up my dollhouse class. I love our HL and will continue to go back to support our community.

• Like 3

Not what my research says nor what the bill that was passed defines. I've read nowhere birth control pills are covered and never have seen a single mention of morning after pills.

Well. I did find an article that DID mention the morning after pill (the religious belief is life begins at conception) and they will pay for birth control pills (no conception).

Thank you much, grazhina, for alerting me to this. I really appreciate it.

I believe that we have been asked by the administrators to keep negative comments off of the forum.

• Like 3

Not a single negative comment in that post. Actually, a very positive, upbeat post. And say I should type something you don't like - ignore it. No fighting and throwing stones is allowed here.

Today I've beat my poor sore head against the desk trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with either my little portion of GLville or my computer and have not been able to resolve the sit-shee-a-shun. Very frustrating. At least I've found work-arounds that will allow me to post, etc. Kind'a a pain, but not really. Izz good. Work-arounds are better than not being able to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.

Kelly, I see ads on TV from at least one pharmaceutical company saying if you can't afford the medicine, maybe they can help, implying a discounted price. Is that a route you could try?

Most med manufacturers will help out with the cost of meds if you have no insurance or if your insurance doesn't cover enough so that's definitely worth looking into. Google the name of the med and go to the manufacturer's site. There's usually a link for assistance at the bottom of the page. There's also a generic for Prilosec that I *think* is on walmart's $4 list. Don't quote me on that one but definitely check into it. It's something I take and the generic for 90 days to our mail-in pharmacy is only $25 compared to about four times that for the brand name. As for the Plavix, ask your doctor for office samples. A lot of times they keep a stash for patients who really need something like Plavix or Trilipix but can't afford the high copays on them. The price of meds is outrageous. There are months when E' Scripts gets over $700 from me for just three medications and I take something like 21 different pills a day. I have a big double pill box for mornings and evenings and a smaller one for daybreak meds. The ones I worry the most about tracking are the pain meds so when I fill up my pill boxes every week, I put exactly five in a little silver pill box and that way I know for sure how many I've taken. It's easy to forget whether you've taken a PRN med sometimes and looking at a full bottle doesn't do much good so putting just a few into a container helps me to remember.

Actually, it's the generic of Prilosec I am taking now and I do have a prescription for it. But that's the one they don't want me taking, They want me to take Prevacid and that I can't get a prescription for. I know the insurance will cover the Plavix - they did last time, so that's not a problem. And the thing with getting companies to help, as the nurse told me, they can do that too, but by the time I finally got approval, my six months of taking it would probably be up. LOL

:xmas_tree:

I've been wrapping presents and my back is killing me.

I wrapped one present this year and that one alone will send people screaming for the hills. Why can't I ever find a square box to wrap?!? As usual, this one looks like the ashtrays I used to make in kindergarten.

Found what sounds to be a good recipe for split pea and ham soup. I love the Campbells soup so bought some peas and thought I'd try making my own. Found a recipe that has carrots, potatoes and celery in it, too, and thought that sounded good. Now I just gotta go get the stuff. Can't remember if the recipe includes onions, but I'll toss some in! One can never have too much garlic or onions. Or fresh ground black pepper. :pepper:

Erm, MK, I think the thing with Hobby Lobby was that a lot of women can't tolerate birth control pills and need to be on an IUD, and that they won't cover. All of my really vitriolic comments about that are on the Yahoo message boards, so no need for me to air them here.

I finally got a crock pot recipe for split pea that tastes like Anderson's Split Pea. I'm amazed I can make that for picky me and actually eat it, but I have yet to make a bean soup that I like. And I like bean soup. Just not mine, apparently. If you can find it, get some liquid smoke, too. A little of that will make your soup taste, oh, so good!

• Like 1

Our local HL has been hiring temporary help for the holiday rush, so the extra help will be gone soon.

I read up on the whole HL / ACA issue. A certain political party which will not be named, approached the CEO of HL to use the birth control issue as a means to get the ACA thrown out all together. He was on board because he didn't want to have to provide healthcare to ANY of his employees. It ended up being only a partial victory as the law still requires them to get insurance, but they're allowed to deny certain birth control meds. My wife is on birth control, but only because her uterine fibroids are believed to be linked to her last two miscarriages.

So today I called the repair shop to see if they have made any progress. They think the car may be ready by next weekend. 3.5 weeks to fix one problem. On Monday I am going to call Kia Motors USA to file a complaint. DW still thinks we will be able to make the trip to Houston on January 1, but I'm not holding out too much hope on that.

I finally got a crock pot recipe for split pea that tastes like Anderson's Split Pea. I'm amazed I can make that for picky me and actually eat it, but I have yet to make a bean soup that I like. And I like bean soup. Just not mine, apparently. If you can find it, get some liquid smoke, too. A little of that will make your soup taste, oh, so good!

Liquid smoke is good. I've not used it in ages. I used to make good navy bean soup but for some reason am no longer able. Beats me why. Just dumb. I really like bean soups. I like mine so thick a spoon can stand up in them. If not too much trouble or too tedious, could you PM me where you found the split pea recipe or send the recipe to me? If too long on ingredients, forget it. Too much of a pain. Never made split pea, but I can eat Campbell's outta the can. I guess that's not saying much as I can eat just about all my Campbell's outta the can! :)

Warning -- gross image ahead. Proceed at your own risk.

Still here? Okay, put down whatever you're eating.

Really. You need to put down the food.

Okay, here it is --

Don't say I didn't warn you.

This is it:

Back in the day, when I was about 3 years old, my younger sister's vaccination became infected, swelled, and drained out a greenish pus. As young as I was, the memory stuck. I can't bear to be anywhere near split pea soup.

• Like 3

Someone else that knows what GREAT split pea soup is!!!! I so miss Anderson's

As my grandmother used to say, "There are some things that one does not bring up in polite conversation. They are sex, religion, politics, and money."

Those are subjects that light fires in our hearts. They bring us passion and excitement but they can also cause pain and even tear apart families because of that same passion. I'm saying this from a place of love and respect, but we need to avoid controversial subjects such as these. Use common courtesy here and respect one another's differences. Sometimes that respect means that we steer clear of topics that might result in argument and hurt feelings. That's something we never want to have ANY of our members go thru which is why I'm offering a reminder about forum courtesy. I'm going to copy and paste this into a couple of other threads and thank you all in advance for being the loving, understanding people who make our forum a home.

• Like 3

I had a very, very busy day today. It started out a little rough and I had to take an extreme step to get myself motivated to get up and moving............I downloaded the newest Bob Seger album, cranked it up and worked in the backyard for awhile. I use the word "work" in the loosest possible sense of course but there's nothing like good rock music and bright sunshine to change your outlook on a day.

So now there are a couple of plants looking much happier in larger pots and almost everyone got to play Plant-go-'round with me. During the summer a lot of plants got moved up onto the patio to avoid overdosing on the sun and this time of year I go around rearranging all my plants according to the amount of sun they require this time of year. Some of my plants are summer dormant so this is the time of year they grow, bloom and thrive and their light needs change. The great thing about growing in containers (besides no weeding) is that I can haul them around the yard and follow the light. It keeps me off dark streets and out of alleys.

I also sprayed the whole backyard for weeds (after I fixed the sprayer), watered all the plants, cleaned the patio and washed it down, refilled all the bird feeders, and gave the hummingbird feeders an extra good scrub. Max and Maggie were acting a bit tipsy the other day. I'm tired but feeling pretty happy with doing all that in one day.

What's everyone else up to?

• Like 1

We mailed out our last Christmas package yesterday and hit a last grocery run before Christmas so I could get ingredients for fresh gumbo, and the rest of the day putting it together. The whole house now smells incredible! The storm front moved in about an hour ago and now the thunder has begun, so I'm here waiting for the Itis family to calm back down so I can go back to bed. I found some new clay cookie molds at one of our thrift stores last week so I think I'll make shortbread cookies for us for Christmas.

Well, I was supposed to doing my baking and final preparations for Christmas dinner today. Some friends of ours were coming over for dinner last night; I was slicing the bread and decided to slice the tip of my left index finger as well. Nothing like sitting on a chair with your head in the sink trying not to pass out while your guests are in the driveway.:lol: Could have gone to the ER, but it would have been a long wait for a pain pill which I wouldn't have taken, so I wrapped it up with gauze and such and served dinner. So today it's off for more bandage supplies and haircuts for my boys. Then back home to wait for delivery of our new washing machine; the old one died with smoke and sparks Friday night. Full of water and a load of clothes and a blanket. of course. Hubby and I were outside at 9:30pm twisting the water out of the blanket so it could dry. Oh, and I have a doctor's appointment today.....too crazy :crazyeyes:

I feel your pain Sarah. Back in January, I was showing my DS how to open and close the new truck bed cover. Trouble is, when I snapped the lever back in place, my left index finger was in the way. No cut, just peeled the skin down. Lots of bleeding and several bandages later, it finally quit throbbing. I got a Tetanus shot. Then last Sunday, I was cutting insulation with a utility knife (new blade) and sliced my left thumb, repeat of January. I haven't been kind to my left hand this year.

Such a flurry of activities going on! Deb, I'm excited for you that you were able to find the energy to accomplish all you did and hope you don't have to pay for it today. Sarah, what an awkward place for a wound. Hope it doesn't interfere too much with the rest of your plans. Holly, gumbo! That's what's missing around here. I haven't made gumbo in a good long while. I see a trip to the grocery store in my near future.

I spent yesterday adding a new branch to our family tree. Discovered that one of my aunts married into the Pick family of the Pick Hotel chain. Included in the packet of information I received from a family member was a letter written from Prague in 1928 describing in detail his visit to the city and to the village where his mother was born. This packet has been sitting in a plastic tub for more than 13 years waiting for me to make the connection. The lady who sent it to me was elderly then; I hope I can reach her or her daughter to let them know we're cousins after all. :)

• Like 1

Kathie, at least finding the file powder won't be the fiasco for you! I'll do a happy dance when Rouse's finally opens a store in Pensacola! The two we have in Baldwin County re both over 30 miles away.

Actually, I don't use file powder. I use okra to thicken the gumbo. The file powder tends to get clumpy when the gumbo's reheated.

Wow! My first thought was "Kathie's trying to get pregnant?!" :ohyeah:

Debra, how long have you had the pains in your head? Do they interfere with the voices? :rofl:

<looking down on the floor> Somebody better get the smelling salts. I think Lloyd just fainted.

Thank goodness he's still asleep. Although, truth be known, he'd welcome a toddler. He has a real soft spot in his heart for the little cherubs. He and Jeremy's youngest bonded instantly.

Not to sound ignorant, but I am a north gal after all. What is file powder?

It sounds like something we'd use in the shop for our metal or woodworking files, or in the office to get organized, or to clean guns with or something.

Online I see things like root beer flavor and sassafras.

File (pronounced "feelay") is a product of the southern sassafras tree; one source I read said it was made from the inner bark, but the label on the bottle I have says it's from the leaves. I also use okra, and very little of the file; just enough to give it a characteristic taste. I hadn't noticed any clumping, though, and I make enough at one time to fill my slow cooker (several go-rounds of reheating). Gumbo is one of those delightful dishes that improves with reheating. I made a quart of homemade stock out of the back and wingtips of the last rotisserie chicken we had and some seasoning veggies and used that after the first cup of water to make my roux (pronounced "roo").

I have shortbread dough chilling in the fridge.

Every day we should learn at least one new thing, right?

Roux I know but the file powder - well, that was my new thing for today.

Thanks.

So, it is a characteristic flavoring and a thickener, both, of the soup?

Don't know that I've ever eaten it, either.

Can it be made in a vegetarian version?

• Like 1

The origin of gumbo is a conglomeration of leftovers. It can contain anything, but usually has meat in it. Every cook has her own version. My shopping list has chicken, andouille sausage, shrimp, blue crabs, chopped ham as well as the vegetables -- including the holy trinity of Creole cooking: bell pepper, celery and onion -- and seasonings. I have frozen stock made from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass for the broth but may have to add some packaged low salt broth as well. I'm planning to make a couple of gallons. It freezes well, and we'll take some to Lloyd's sister when we visit them over New Year's.

Even Gumbo Z'Herbes, a traditional meal for Holy Thursday with nine (or more) greens has some meat for flavoring.

"This is a traditional Holy Thursday meal for Creole families in New Orleans," Robinson says. "The Nine Greens represent the Nine Churches visited on Good Friday in remembrance of Jesus' walk to be crucified."

Many cook gumbo z'herbes on Good Friday, Robinson notes. "Mama cooked it on Holy Thursday because of the meat."

The healers in my family tree have used sassafras for generations and it was nurtured and grown on the farm. One of my aunts used to dose me with sassafras tea when she thought I looked "peak-ed". I thought it was delicious because it tastes so much like root beer that I'd try to figure out what peak-ed looked like so I could duplicate it in order to get more. LOL! Now that it's come up here, it made me go look up the herbal uses of sassafras and after reading it's value as an anti-inflammatory assistance for gout, rheumatoid arthritis and all the other itises, I'm going to order some and put it to good use! A cup of sassafras tea in the mornings would be most welcome even if it didn't do my body good.

Kathie and Holly, all this talk of gumbo is making me want to give it a try. Bruce loves it but I've never tried making it. Hearing how well it freezes and how easy it is to make a large batch makes me think I need to rethink that! Both of those things are in my cooking wheelhouse these days because I tend to cook ahead and freeze meals to reheat on days I can't cook. Is there a specific recipe you'd recommend to start a newbie off on the right track? I'm down with not measuring because I never do that anyway, but knowing the basics to start with would get me going and I'd much rather have that info from cooks I trust than to experiment with recipes online.