What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

So am I! I told DH I'm getting too old to enjoy this sort of thing.

I know what you mean. I'm happiest with smooth sailing, wherever we go. Glad you got home safely, if not comfortably.

Sorry you got the flu, Roxy. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Unfortunately, it isn't surprising the flu shot didn't work. In the past 20+ years, it has been 3-6% effective, and that's only IF the 3-6% who got the shot and didn't get the flu, were ever exposed at all. The problem with the flu shot, is that it's based on a wild guess by the CDC. They take a blind guess at what might be the prevalent strains each year, and the pharmaceutical companies produce the vaccine from that. The problem is, the CDC has been wrong every year since they started making vaccines. That's why I don't bother with it. I know too many people who have gotten the vaccine, only to end up spending time in the hospital with the flu a month or two later.

• Like 1

Poor Roxy, be sure to drink plenty of fluids :beak:

We all got flu shots again this year. I hadn't had the flu in over 10 years, so I got my first flu shot ever last year. I figured I was tempting fate. DS was always coming home sick, so he got a shot again too. Colleges are a hotbed of disease. Actually, he was in bed sick with something this afternoon. I hope it's just another of those generic illnesses that get passed around in school. DH was always coming down in his younger days with what he called the creeping crud.

Jeremy and Roxy - you poor things! Jeremy, I really hope things turn around for you. I fully understand the feeling of desperation when outgo is far, far greater than income. Snuggle down with a cat or dog, Roxy. They have amazing healing snuggle capabilities.

I've never had the flu since 1968 when I got the Hong Kong flu. I have gotten flu shots (not this year yet...) but I think the Hong Kong flu really did give me some kind'a antibodies that have lasted.

I've also not had my pneumonia shot this year. I did get one last year (former smoker) and I also got a shingles vaccine last year.

Had a city inspection and a housing voucher inspection today. Passed both with flying colors. No biggie. Then tried the brought back Burger King Yumbo and it's not near as good as the one in the '70s. :peace: Then went to the hardware store for mini-ing start-up supplies. Then home and into feety pajamas. I LOVE my feety pjs! :sleep: Watched Amazing Race and now just hanging out on here and reading. Tomorrow I hope to get to Hobby Lobby or Michael's for Tacky Glue and an xacto saw and start on dollhouse. If Chrysnbon kits come tomorrow will get to work on them. Sun and Mon and later - same of the former: dollhouse stuff - unless I play Skylanders or another Wi game, or do some needlework or who knows what.

Hope you are feeling better soon, Roxy :hugs:

I never get a flu shot. Where I live they practically advertise flu shots at the local Jiffy Lube...it seems like places to get stuck with needles by strangers in potentially un-sterile conditions are everywhere around here. I have given my doctor permission to say "I told you so" if I get the flu.

Cleaning and putting up the last of the greenery are on the list for today. It's rainy and cold so I think I'll do beef stew for dinner. I've got to cook something for tomorrow's dinner also. My DH is taking me to a Celtic Thunder concert!!

Thanks guys! Today is my birthday :yay: Yikes another one???? Gosh I am OLD!!!!

I am feeling a little better but I still have the evil headache and exhaustion. I am staying in today, decorating our Christmas tree and watching my football game.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Roxie! And you're not old at all........you're simply tall for your age. LOL! That's what I tell people and I'm sticking to my story.

<waving to everyone> Hi Honey, I'm home. It's been a very long and difficult few months after the setback in August but as best I can tell, I'm making sense and semi-upright for the most part. I still don't have all the feeling back in my leg and that damage may be permanent but we'll see. Harder was finally accepting that I have to give up on finding medical attention or even doctors who are interested in helping someone with all my issues. My GP said that I'm not the kind of patient that doctors want these days so they'll do their best to drive me away. If that's true, they're right on point with that goal! That last quack put us thousands of dollars into debt just so he could damage me and, well, it's been a long road back. We'll just leave it at that. I've also evaluated my meds and dumped one after a friend told me about recent clinical studies on the long term effects of Tramadol that make the original issues I take it for seem like child's play. I'd rather have the pain ramp up by another 40% (which it did) than continue taking it. So there are small steps but the main thing is that I'm taking back my medical care to my own resources rather than trusting in the medical "professionals". <shaking head> The damage done to me this summer was more extensive than just my back and hip since the quack pulled me off of my blood thinners for five out of seven days for 21 days. Judging by the signs, he jumped up my tally of silent strokes by quite a bit. Even my hearing and vision took a dive so there was much more to it than it seemed.

I'm sorry I disappeared again but I don't like coming here when my brain is scrambled because there's a chance I'll say something the wrong way or hurt someone's feelings and I love you guys too much to do that. So it was best that I retired from the world for awhile until I could be myself again. My emotional control center took a hard hit but I'm back on an even keel again. I've been on facebook practicing my social skills and so far no one has screamed at me for being obnoxious or too negative so I'm back.

We had a little scare with Bruce last month but we were lucky enough to find a good cardiologist who put him thru his 50,000 mile checkup and when we got the results on Friday he had a clean bill of health. Yay!!!!!! That was a tremendous relief and one that we celebrated! He's good for another year so we can relax a little more.

Other than that I've just been puttering around the house decorating for the holidays. Last year the movers had just finished unloading everything three days before Christmas so we didn't get to do much decorating of our new house. Halloween was a blast as we celebrated our 15th anniversary by decorating the house and yard and handing out candy. Our HOA is kind of like a small town so it was lots of fun. We're doing up Christmas just as big. We did the yard yesterday and I swear that Bruce was putting lights on everything that didn't move and then trying to find even more places! If I hadn't stopped him he'd have been climbing out the upstairs window to get to the top roof! LOL! Of course I can't say much since I'm the one who was climbing in cactus to decorate them. hehehehehe But we're having fun with it. It's been a long time since I had all the holiday decor out all at once to even evaluate what we have so I've been sorting and reorganizing as I go and that's kind of a Zen thing.

The baby lizards all send their love. I think that two of them have moved inside the lighted Bumble out in the front yard because it's warm. In fact, they might think that we've put those nice little tail warmers all over the yard just for them. LOL!! I have hummingbirds nesting in the trees in both the front and back yards now. One of them is low enough for me to get a good picture when the sun comes back out. (It's been raining and overcast) The butterflies are all back so my backyard is filled with butterflies and hummingbirds and lazy bees enjoying my winter blooms. Life is good.

Now I'm off to try to catch up on what y'all have been doing and try to remember to pop into general mini talk to share the treasure I found in Joann's christmas ornament section. Group hug????

• Like 4

Happy birthday Roxy :yay:. Sorry you have the flu at the same time, but trusting you'll be better really soon.

Jeremy I'm really sorry to hear you're going through such a tough financial time, I pray this ends soon and that you are able to get ahead soon.

Deb it's lovely to see you back but I'm so sorry you had to go through such a horrible time.

I'm still plodding along, I found some good deals on mini furniture so they're on their way and of course my Magnolia is whispering away, but I've explained to her she'll have to wait till I'm fully recovered. In the mean time I'm plodding away with my village.

I saw a very nice surgeon last week and am going to go with him for my hernia op (Lumpy just keeps on growing), he knew all about me from working at the hospital but wasn't put off by my history, plus he has great people skills and a good reputation for hernia surgery. I'm now waiting for ACC to approve the funding for this surgery and hopefully it'll be approved in time for me to have my operation on Jan 19 - this year would have been better but they're not likely to approve it by then. The other plus side is that this will be in a private hospital and as he thinks I'll be there for a week it'll be nice to have all the mod cons plus they don't really have visiting hours so my family can come and go at will. After last time I think we'll all be a bit worried for the first couple of days. It'll be 3 months before he lets me do anything other than walk, but at least the end is in sight and mid way through next year I may finally have no back pain!

Anyway as summer is attempting to happen here I'm off to enjoy some sunshine - summer is my favourite season and I missed the best part last year through being in the coma etc so this year I'm gonna get sun whenever I can!

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! For some reason I had a relapse and am back with the fever and feeling awful again :( The only good thing is that I am done with my Christmas shopping so I don't have to go rushing around now.

I am thinking about everyone else and hoping all the aches and pains go away soon!! Hugs

It's been a most awesome morning. I watched the almost-full moon setting thru the branches of the palo verde tree while the coyotes sang their moon songs and the bats protested about there being too much light. That kind of beauty is the best way to start the day.

• Like 2

It's been a most awesome morning. I watched the almost-full moon setting thru the branches of the palo verde tree while the coyotes sang their moon songs and the bats protested about there being too much light. That kind of beauty is the best way to start the day.

Deb, if you haven't already done it, you might start a morning journal. Your descriptions are worth saving. Lovely image :)

• Like 1

Debora, that's really sweet of you to say. I actually started a blog called Under the Mesquite Tree awhile back and as soon as I can sit up to type enough, I plan on doing some writing again. I love rambling about the things that go on around me and have a box of paper journals filled but the blog thing has always been fun to do. My old one got abandoned when I was too sick to make sense and I thought about starting up there again but then decided to begin anew with something not necessarily dedicated to miniatures, just my observations on life in general. If all goes well I'm hoping to do that after the holidays. <chuckling> Everything goes in slow motion for me these days so I plan at least one month in advance for everything. LOL!

Today is a banner day because I finally got my oleander bushes trimmed. They were a mess when we moved in and one of them has been debating about living or dying for a year but after a lot of care it's finally well enough to tolerate being cut back. I put on my gloves, eye protection, and long sleeves and pants because their sap is seriously toxic but with the help of my trusty branch clippers it's now all neat and tidy again. Whoever trimmed those things before we moved in did it backwards and totally destroyed the fountain look of them. I've been working to get that back and can finally say that my oleanders look like proper oleanders again. Yay! As long as I was out there, one of the mesquites and a bougainvillea got a haircut too. I also got cussed at by the hummingbirds because the bushes are on either side of the tree they nest in. Who knew that hummingbirds could swear like that! That's enough for one day and now I'm going to get a hot shower, then putter around with decorating the third and final tree. That's the last of the big holiday decor so now the fun part of just relaxing and enjoying the holiday mood can begin!

What's everybody else up to?

• Like 1

Roxy, that sounds like a great gift! The gift of music is a gift to the heart and soul. How long have you played piano? I admit to serious envy for those who do. I took a year of piano lessons and learned how to play ping pong. (there was a tennis table in the music room that was very distracting.)

It's a gorgeous, fabulous, amazing day here! The temp is around 70 with nary a breeze and the sunshine is wall to wall. I overdid it yesterday and paid for it with a sleepless night and a rough morning, but I picked up enough steam to start vacuuming. I'm taking lots of breaks to go sit on the patio and watch the birds playing in the birdbaths and at the feeders. We had so many swallows over the summer that I had to let the feeders go silent but now that they've gone back to Capistrano it's time to get them going again. I'm also taking pictures today and next time I get downstairs, I'll go out in the front yard and get a picture of the hummingbird nest I found in one of the mesquite trees last week.