What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

For some unexplainable reason, my DW bought a 15 lb turkey and all the sides for me to cook up on Friday. I soaked the bird in brine all night, but it would only fit on the top shelf. Yesterday, like an idiot, I removed it before removing the leftover fettuccini alfredo with shrip (which was directly underneath the turkey) first, so brine spilled down into the leftovers, which were going to be a side. Instead I had to throw it out. Luckily nothing else went wrong and we had a big dinner yesterday with enough leftovers to feed the neighborhood.

I'm back to job hunting again since my new gig is only temporary. I applied for an office manager position at a Lucky's grocery store they're opening in town soon. I have never heard of them, but based on the job listings, it sounds like a Fresh Market type of store. I don't know what an office manager at a grocery makes, but knowing what the general and assistant managers make at Publix, it should be a far sight better than what I'm earning now. Does anyone know what the going rate is for this type of job? I only worked as a bagger back in college, and the pay was a joke, but the GM was earning $250,000 -$750,000, depending on the performance of the store back in 1995. I know I wouldn't be anywhere near that, but a comfortable living wage should be realistic.

Decluttering !!!! Lol !!!

Well, I had to change my plan a lot ! I was working upstairs and decluttering very well, posting items for sale and noticed the basement was filling up really fast with things I no longer wanted upstairs. So I changed gears. I decided to clear out the basement first, We've got to move the bigger items around.... Pool table to other side of basement....so we are just switching rooms. The one room is organized clutter, lol... It's all the stuff we don't want boxed up and ready to be listed for sale. Once those rooms are done, then I'll start back upstairs in the main living areas...When I start back upstairs, the downstairs will be done and I won't want stuff cluttering it up again.! My craft room door is SHUT! I'm not doing anything in there yet.

Participated in a 2-day craft bazaar yesterday and Friday - and it was a big disappointment :( It's one of the biggest of the season, one that's been going successfully for almost 30 years, but the weather turned on us. High wind, plummeting temperatures (20 degrees in 2 hours) and snow! So -- bad weather = few customers = very few sales. I only have one more bazaar before Christmas - hope we get a lot of last-minute shoppers! After Christmas I'll put what's left in my Etsy store and see how that goes.

Good luck, Jeremy.

We almost missed lunch with my friend, but as we were getting in the car to leave DH checked the phone for messages and DS noticed a car with FL plates in the parking area, so back we went and found them in the third room we checked. They had asked wait staff to find us, as we had asked wait staff to find them; so the wait staff left us alone for a good visit. My friend has horrendous health issues, but her new meds seem to have things under control. They are headed back home tomorrow.

Decluttering !!!! Lol !!!

Yeah, me too - sorta. My basement is filling up again too.

Yesterday I decided to wash all my rarely used holiday dishes and glassware and one thing led to another. 30 years ago DH had a yen to buy a set of margarita glasses. We had margaritas in them twice and never used them again. The glass was so thin and they were so fragile they were a pain to wash and dry, and they took up so much room in my china cabinet! they are now in a cabinet in the basement. I wonder if I can shove them off to my daughter? Maybe she'll take that cute Scandinavian baking dish with the modernistic chicken cover. I still like it, but I never need to use it so it just gets dusty.

On the other hand - I was washing what was left of my mom's 1950's china. I have an assortment of plates and saucers, but just one teacup. I found someone on Ebay selling 2 cups and saucers. After much thought I ordered them. Now I'll have a cute set for 2 with extra plates and an extra teacup. I figured if I just ordered 1 cup it would get broken so now I'll have a spare.

I also have 3 chipped pieces of mom's first dinnerware set that she had when I was a baby - but I decided $30 was too much to spend on 3 cute teacups and a bowl. i don't need more teacups. I have tons of mugs & teacups. i did bookmark the site though.

Slowly putting the Christmas decorations up. My job for today is "fluffing" the tree. Right now it would look right at home in Charlie Brown's house :lol: We used to get a real tree, but about 3 years ago I just got fed up with the prospect of watering and vacuuming needles so we bought an artificial one. I always had an artificial one as a child; it was a right of passage for me to be big enough to bring down the tree all by myself! Last year the box for our fake tree died, and my husband was pretty sure they killed it trying to put it away in the attic. We were walking through our local mall last January and they had some trees for 90% off!!! A lovely 7.5 foot tree with lights for less than $30 is my kind of price :) Ornaments tonight when my hubby gets home; I think I'll make turkey tetrazzini to finish up the leftovers.

When everybody finally wakes up & dresses we're taking The Kid to breakfast in P'cola at The Egg & I and do in-town errands this AM then on to the JSOP (Jazz Society) office to load up the truck with the last of the unsold Jazz Fest merchandise and deliver it to Seville Quarter for a "yard sale" at tonight's Jingle Jazz.

I am done with turkey!I I am making salmon today!!! :D

I can't think if I want to start decorating today or not. With the early holiday stuff going on everywhere I have kind of lost the desire. Is it just me?

My back is starting to show signs of getting better. A nice walk out in the sunshine is my first activity of the day.

I am done with turkey!I I am making salmon today!!! :D

I can't think if I want to start decorating today or not. With the early holiday stuff going on everywhere I have kind of lost the desire. Is it just me?

My back is starting to show signs of getting better. A nice walk out in the sunshine is my first activity of the day.

no de-cluttering for me. want to clean up the back room, but can't move the bed by myself, actually can't move much of anything myself right now. Sat night stepped off a curb wrong and ended up in VA ER. Thankfully not broke. sprain and pain. sitting and laying is about all I have done for a day. hope it stops hurting soon so I can get back to the house I am working on.

Ouch, Lawanda! Hope it heals up quickly.

We had one repeat turkey meal out of leftovers, which finished off the side dishes. I made about a gallon of turkey broth out of the carcass and froze it. We had turkey sandwiches for lunch three days running. Yesterday I chopped up the remaining turkey meat. Most of it is frozen in small packets and the rest became turkey pot pie with an easy Crescent roll crust. There's about four more servings of pot pie left. I think they may get frozen for future use.

Salmon sounds like a good idea, Roxy -- or maybe I'll roll on down to the seafood market for something fresh, like shrimp.

• Like 2

Same here. The Thanksgiving wreath is still on the door and the Christmas tree is still in the closet. Lloyd asked me yesterday if I'm going to put up the Christmas wreath but the best answer I could give him was a laconic "uh huh". I'm not feeling it.

• Like 1

Kathy I wish I had fresh seafood!!! Living in the middle of the desert ain't easy sometimes! LOL We drive and 3 hours to a Whole Foods Market just to get salmon!

I just fiddled around making an arrangement for the table. The "fall" arrangement has been there since September. I am in need of a change but looking at the Christmas arrangement seems odd to me somehow. Its like NOT YET keeps going through my mind! The tv and stores have pretty much put me in a negative mood for some reason. I don't feel like it! Bah Humbug!

Didn't feel much like decorating today either. So I said "Well I'll just shift the furniture around to make room for the tree; well, I have the space, may as well put the tree together, well, there's all these bubble lights and I do love those and a little Christmas music on the radio wouldn't be bad....and.....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!" :xmas: :xmas_tree: :xmas_groucho:

• Like 2

Well, I thought if I put a few things out I might get in the mood. I think I am done actually. We will get a tree in a couple of weeks. I hate putting up tons of stuff and then having to take it all down a few weeks later. I guess I am getting old and lazy! :D

I am not happy with my mantle and I didn't take put my Christmas Village I am not sure if I will this year or not. Convince me! :xmas:

I told Dh I'll put out the ceramic tree and decorations this coming weekend. We have to pack the truck and a suitcase tomorrow to take The Kid back home and then work on cleaning the last of the mess and cleaning all the mold & mildew from the Havana house. On the way home today we stopped to pick up dust masks and a replacement toilet handle to repair the broken upstairs toilet. After our last mold encounter, even after I clean the house we're staying in motel.

• Like 1

At 8:30 this morning I was going to print a calendar page for this month, only my wireless printer wouldn't connect wih my laptop. It always worked fine till today.

I've been going crazy all morning trying to get them to work together again. I knew Microsoft did an update, because my antivirus icon and my calendar gadget were both missing from my desktop. Everytime Microsoft does an update my volume control vanishes too.

Nothing I found online worked to fix my printer problem, so I decided to try a system restore to back before the update. BIG mistake - I lost internet access altogether. Then I undid the system restore and got the internet back - thank goodness.

Now I found that my laptop can connect with the printer to print some things, but not other things, including the dang calendar.

I've just wasted another 6 hours of my life.

• Like 2

Well, it sounds like everyone had a good holiday. :) We spent the day with my in-laws...at my SIL's house. Hadn't been there in probably 10 years! Too much food, as usual for our family, but we had a very pleasant afternoon.

This past Sunday my side of the family had our Thanksgiving dinner (re-scheduled because of the accident DD#1 & 2 were in the week before). Another pleasant visit with WAY too much food!

On Saturday we are getting together with just our kids & their spouses for yet ANOTHER Thanksgiving dinner!! I don't mind getting together, but I am almost to the point of being "turkeyed-out"! I'd be ready for just pizza! LOL

I've also started decorating the house. I do just a little every day, so should be done by this weekend or early next week. I didn't do much last year because of my foot surgery, so I am enjoying seeing it all up again. Max the cat is enjoying it as well. ;)

Hoping to spend some time at my DD#1's new home to help her, hubby and their cat get settled in. The cat is a little stressed out (the accident was really quite traumatic for him) and DD is having some difficulty adjusting to the new surroundings as well. Understandable. They are happy to be back near family, but miss the PNW and their little Vancouver, WA condo. Maybe a "mom-day" will help. :)

• Like 1

After spending my first paycheck (and then some) getting my bike fixed, the check engine light in my DW's car lit up late last week. On Saturday, I took it to a nearby mechanic my wife had made an appointment with, but after hooking it to their computer, we were left with more questions than answers. The codes that the car gave indicated that the camshaft timing was both fast and slow, at the same time! Every time that check engine light goes off, we get the most bizarre (and expensive) problems with the car. At least the mechanics were honest and told us they wouldn't be able to fix it without putting a lot of time into taking the engine apart, and still couldn't promise they would be able to fix it. The car was running fine, so we drove home with the plan of taking the car to our usual mechanic on Saturday. That didn't happen. Yesterday the car started sputtering and wouldn't get power to the wheels. DW limped it along to the shop, but this morning we got a $300 bill from the mechanic and arrangements to take the car to the Kia dealer, where they tried to rip us off last year. Our mechanic replaced two censors that could have been the problem, but were not, and admitted that it would take a certified Kia mechanic to fix it. So today, I spent my lunch break paying for the first repair and arranging for the Kia service center to (hopefully) fix it. They both said it would take at least 9 hours to get to the problem (at $90 an hour), plus parts and time to do the repair.

We already raided my DW's 401K on hardship grounds to cover our mortgage since I just started working, and it will probably take some of her student loan funds to cover the repair. It seems like the harder we work, the more expensive it gets to just survive.

At this point it will take a miracle to get to Houston for my SIL's wedding next month.

There was one tiny bright spot today. The Saab representative was at the hangar today and I won a drawing for a small model of the plane that makes up our fleet. It's painted in Saab's logo and colors, but I'm mixing a little charcoal gray, fuchsia and looking for some of my silver paint so I can paint it in the company's colors. I love a good mini project.

DH & I took The Kid home yesterday and then spent the rest of daylight at the Havana house CLEANING. I'm still not sure what the housecleaning service we hired did beyond running a vacuum I scrubbed mildew from floors and ceilings throughout the downstairs and scrubbed so much grease off of the cabinets and appliances that they changed colors, back to what I remembered before we moved out. Without any food in the house there are no more bugs or mice, so the cleaning I had done before still looked OK, and now the grease, mildew and mold are gone, and most of the debris.

We were fairly tired, but didn't want to spend the night in Tallahassee and decided to head for home and stop when driving wasn't fun any more; so we stopped and spent the night in Bonifay and found a Vietnamese restaurant for supper; the food was totally awesome!

We decided we'd had enough interstate yesterday, so this morning we headed up to US90 ad home. About ten miles east of Crestview the airbag light flashed on, then the battery light, and then the truck just died. The first place the tow truck driver took us to was a shade tree mechanic in Baker, FL, who wasn't home; but when his wife finally showed up and called his cell he told DH he might be able to get to our truck tomorrow. So next the driver took us to the local tire store, where the manager told us they could repair our truck. They did, too; we now have a pretty, brand new alternator. On the way home just east of Milton the westbound lane of US90 was closed while the freight train that derailed Sunday is still being cleaned up. We finally got home eight hours later than originally figured on this AM, but we are home!