What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Hi everyone :wave:

Wow so much has happened since I last popped in, too much for me to touch on but I will say my thoughts and prayers are with everyone going through difficult times and my heartfelt congrats go out to all those celebrating good things!

I'm well into my recovery now - finally! I still have memory and cognitive issues but I'm learning to adapt to them in everyday life, it may not be the same in my work life (when I can finally get back to working) as my prior to this quickfire and very accurate mathematical skills appear to have been majorly affected. I've also discovered I no longer enjoy some of the things I used to - but my counsellor tells me this is very common for people who have experienced trauma and that it may stay this way but the important thing is to find the things I do enjoy. Of course this was frustrating because with memory and cognitive issues you want to stick to what you know. On the plus side I still have a love for minis and I have just started working on my Greenleaf village I got last Christmas and I can do it!!!! It's great to be achieving even in little steps.

I developed a post trauma anxiety issue (actually I pretty much had PTSD) so have been very debilitated by that but with the help of an amazing counsellor I'm getting on top of that.

On another positive note I'm not long back from an amazing week away in Surfers Paradise in the Gold Coast of Australia with my husband, his brother and his fiancée ... it was an amazing time and I pushed myself really hard which was all worth it as my muscles are finally developing memory and re growing (for want of a better way to put it). The weather was lovely and warm and the views from our apartment were just staggering! We had a fantastic time and it did my mind the world of good to be somewhere where I wasn't defined by what has happened to me and this change of mindset came home with me!!!

Lumpy (my hernia) is still hanging around and I'm waiting for an operation date so this whole saga can finally be over and I can jump the last hurdles of recovery - Until now I didn't realise how much we do utilises the core including my much needed knee and back exercises so once I've healed from the next (and last ever I hope) operation I'll be going hard out on my fitness recovery.

Anyway that's enough of a waffle from me.

• Like 4

No Thanksgiving preparation going on here. We're going to cousin Gloria's for dinner. Her family is each bringing something to the dinner. My offer to bring something was met with dead silence, and then a hesitant, "Well, maybe some plastic plates?" The thing is, even after having been down here for more than ten years, the locals don't trust my Northern cooking, even though individually they've enjoyed my gumbo and shrimp & mirliton casseroles and other Creole dishes. I pressed and am being allowed to bring the dinner rolls. I thought about making them from scratch but have decided to buy them at the local bakery or cut up Pillsbury Italian bread dough into pieces to bake. No point in shattering their opinion of my culinary skills. I'll enjoy dining on their contributions to the meal. :D

:rofl:

Nobody asks me to bring anything either. They all know I can't cook, haha! DH will bake the scratch pumpkin pies (I grew the pumpkins) :D

• Like 3

Most expensive Thanksgiving ever:

$200-Carpets cleaned

$479-Two new circuit boards for two stove burners.

$unknown-Just shorted out the outlet for the dishwasher and disposal, faucet hose leaking under the sink.

$Priceless-making Thanksgiving dinner for 10.

• Like 2

Back from ophthalmologist and grocery store. Lloyd's eye is 90% better after one day of expensive eye drops. He goes back Saturday morning for follow-up to the follow-up. He doesn't feel up to a crowd at Cousin Gloria's, so I got the fixin's for a modest turkey dinner at home. The only immodest item is an 11-pound turkey currently thawing in a water bath. We'll have beaucoup leftovers, but turkey freezes well and makes in to all sorts of good leftovers. <Imagining the fragrance of turkey soup simmering as I type this.> I'd planned to get a turkey breast, but somehow it just doesn't taste the same as a whole bird.

• Like 2

Back from ophthalmologist and grocery store. Lloyd's eye is 90% better after one day of expensive eye drops.

Great news. So glad to hear that. Your house will smell yummy and you'll give thanks in peace.

Helen,it's so great to read that things are getting better and brighter for you.Your vacation sounds like it was a great blessing! I'm so glad for you that it's summer time and warm weather in your part of the world!

Kathie,I hope Lloyd's eye continues to heal swiftly! I know that Herpes virus in the eye must be miserable!

As for all the big prep for the big meal and the set backs with power outages and plumbing and electrical problems and all-I will send prayers up for all of y'all!!

I am so glad for those of us who are still here this year,troubles and all,and thinking of those who have suffered losses.The family of the lady I used to be a caregiver for (I mentioned in a previous post that she passed away Monday morning.) will be on my mind.They will be burying her Friday. I want to attend,but I know by then I will be well into the chemo flu effects. :(

I will probably just be home in bed tomorrow,if my usual chemotherapy routine holds to schedule-I'm already starting to feel yucky and had to take my evening antinausea pill early. But,I'm not turkey crazy anyhoo. It's my mother's cornbread dressing that I crave and a big piece of pecan pie (My family pronounces it pu-cawn,not pee-can,by the way. LOL). I'll just have her freeze something for me if I can't eat.

But I had a wonderful mini-Thanksgiving at a steakhouse with my son yesterday after my treatment. We had a gift card so we stuffed ourselves-he with a steak,me with pulled pork. It was my last chemotherapy treatment,so we celebrated. Now that's my kind of Thanksgiving!! :D

• Like 7

No Thanksgiving preparation going on here. We're going to cousin Gloria's for dinner. Her family is each bringing something to the dinner. My offer to bring something was met with dead silence, and then a hesitant, "Well, maybe some plastic plates?" The thing is, even after having been down here for more than ten years, the locals don't trust my Northern cooking, even though individually they've enjoyed my gumbo and shrimp & mirliton casseroles and other Creole dishes. I pressed and am being allowed to bring the dinner rolls. I thought about making them from scratch but have decided to buy them at the local bakery or cut up Pillsbury Italian bread dough into pieces to bake. No point in shattering their opinion of my culinary skills. I'll enjoy dining on their contributions to the meal. :D

Yeah, you "northerners" just don't know how to grill a tire flattened possum like we can down here. :p

I'm not surprised about Lloyd's eye healing so fast. When I was 12, I got beamed in the eye with a 4 foot dowel my brother threw at me. It cut my cornea, but it healed within a couple of days. The doctor told my parents that the eye is one of the fastest healing parts of the body. They said if they took a magnified image of it every ten minutes, you would be able to see the improvement.

• Like 2

It will be quiet around here - as usual. No sense in fixing a big meal for my 91 year old mother and me. DH is still at our daughter's house and they will be having a huge dinner with all the rest of the family.

I'll be fixing my grandmother's oyster stew recipe with fresh Pacific oysters :) That's a treat we never get tired of, and since Mother and I are so often alone on the holidays, it has become our traditional meal. We'll tamp that down with pecan pie while we play a game of Scrabble. Then I have to finish the crafts I'm working on for the Bazaar on Black Friday and Saturday. People seem to like my cutaway boxes with the porcelain dolls inside, so I have 6 more almost ready to go.

Wishing you all - my wonderful Greenleaf Family - a very joyful Thanksgiving. :chat:

• Like 3

back at the house in Misery. stopped at Wally world and picked up a Jenny-O turkey breast. no full turkey since he doesn't eat the dark meat. bob evans has pre cooked mashed taters. just the two of us so no long meal cooking. Today my youngest grandson's birthday is today. can't believe he is 7 already. wanted to stay in FL to be there today, but he wanted to get back here

Sorry about the loss of your friend Kat. It's a bad time of year to lose family and friends.

Here's to a HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!

• Like 1

We have about 6+" of snow and the power went out throughout the whole county shortly after 7AM. Luckily the thermostat in the kitchen is set to turn the heat on shortly before 7 so it wasn't freezing cold. Power came back on after 2 hours. I'm sure the folks with a big turkey in the oven or about to go in the oven were pretty upset.

I'd been looking forward to getting a takeout prepared turkey dinner from Cracker Barrel, but when they said we might get stormy conditions Wed & Thurs, I decided I better get a turkey breast and cook again this year. It's just the 3 of us, as usual.

I hung up the new drapes in the dining room this morning. They look really nice. They were one of my great bargain finds. 80" long panels for 7 windows in the living and dining rooms cost a total of under $100. I still have to hang up the ones in the living room.

DS asked for my scalloped potatoes and wine with turkey dinner today. He turned 21 in September and said so far he's tried beer and a margarita but he's never tasted wine and would like to try it.

• Like 2

Celebrating that I can as of today officially claim the title as Principle/Head Master with a golden pin on my lapel to prove it. After three years of studies todaywas our "graduation" day. Happy and glad to be home again after three days away with the university in charge our education.

Hugs

• Like 7

Congratulations, Anna! Well deserved after all your hard work.

We hit the jazz brunch with just the three of us. I didn't feel so bad about our having to cancel the other four reservations when our room was only about 75% full, and a third of the people there were fellow Jazz Society members; DH suggested having a meeting to elect new officers from the members who weren't there, since almost all the board of directors were seated at the three tables next to ours.

I have had my post-prandial nap and am ready to curl up and finish knitting DS#2 a watchcap.

I baked flounder for dinner yesterday and I'll cook up some fettuccini alfredo with sautéed shrimp for dinner tonight.

I worked a few hours with some very unhappy co-workers today. They would have a much better attitude if they were just returning to work after a 5 month "holiday weekend".

• Like 3

I baked for turkey carcass, wings and neck for a couple hours at 450 yesterday to get that nice, deep flavor from the clinging bits. Today it's simmering in a stock pot with a few onions and some celery, parsley & other goodies, turning into a nice, rich turkey stock that will freeze well and become the base for dishes for the next several months. The house smells delicious. :p

Jeremy, your shrimp alfredo sounds good. Time to head on down to Marrero, where the shrimpers sell their wares fresh off the boat. The boats aren't there, but buckets and buckets of shrimp and other seafood on ice to be had in a ramshackle "mall" with open-front stalls. Totally fresh and cheaper than the local grocery stores.