What are you up to today? This week?

When I was the interim production manager at a boat manufacturer, the least liked part of my job was to set and clear several rat traps in the various buildings we had. It was nasty work, but luckily, there weren't any rats in the office (just the production areas), we only had 7 rats to be rid of (it took less than a week) and it wasn't at home. After several days of setting the traps without catching anything, we figured we had caught the last one. It was about that time that the production staff had some fun with our office manager. They had secretly set a trap at the opposite side of her desk. While one of the employees was talking to her, another threw a life-sized gummy rat on the trap. When the trap snapped, she jumped onto her desk in an amazing show of speed.

• Like 3
  • Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havanaholly

• KathieB

• heidiiiii

• Anna

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each pa

The appointment with the osteo went very well. He looked, listened and paid attention and when I had questions, he answered them. And when I asked him if he saw the root cause he immediately said,

Good morning! Little Jude came ahead of his scheduled c-section date and arrived yesterday! He is so incredibly wonderful, sweet baby slept in peoples arms all day long yesterday.

Posted Images

I had to do some shopping today, and at the last store I ran my credit card through the machine and it was denied. I ran it through again, figuring it was a glitch, and it was denied again. When I came home I called the credit card company and was told my card had been hacked.

My card is now in shreds and they're sending me a new one.

The other day I got a call on my cell phone. It was a recording from ATT that my number has been flagged for security reasons and to reply with the last 4 digits of my SS# to avoid having my service cut off. ---- This is a scam. I figured it was even before I took a look to see what number it was coming from. To my surprise, the number shown was my Gmail account name.

Dang, Grazhina, do you have a target on your back? Sorry to hear you're suffering from hackers.

I'm dogging dead people today, me. I did take the dust cover off of the Beacon Hill. I think the next step is to mark the sides for siding and the curved roof panels for shingles. I think I'll work on the outside until it's finished before heading inside so the studio won't look like a construction zone. There's enough of that out in the real world.

I received an email that had my name as the sender, but when I floated the cursor over the sender section, a woman's email popped up instead. As I understand it, it's possible to send an email with almost anyone's email or name listed as the sender. I was only mildly annoyed at first, but when I checked the email, I noticed it was also sent to a number of people I have sent legitimate emails to, so I'm worried they may have been hacked. The oddest thing about it, was that it was a vague comment about an Oprah book with an undoubtedly malicious attachment included. I don't watch daytime TV and haven't read anything she has written, so it shouldn't have been very effective in tricking anyone.

Today I worked in a parts audit of over 300 components, and a "heavy inspection" report for one of our planes. Every part that is received at the maintenance hanger or changed on a plane, has to be recorded. The heavy inspection is required every few thousand flight hours. They practically strip the plane down to it's frame and inspect every nut, bolt and part for wear and tear. I know of more than a few people who complain constantly about regulations, but I feel much safer about flying knowing that parts are inspected and/or replaced at regulated intervals, rather than flying until a part breaks or falls off in mid-air.

I also found out today that there are 4 daily flights between Gainesville and Orlando. If they're timed right, I could fly round trip to work every day for $30 a week. It would cost that much in gas and tolls each day if I drove it. It would still put my budget even closer to the breaking point, but it's better than trying to live in Mickey Mouse land for 1/2 of the minimum living wage down there. I'm still hopeful that the company will increase the wages for everyone in the Quality Assurance department. They're already 10 years behind the times, wage wise, so it has to change eventually.

I seem to be on this Organizational kick at the moment. Today I went through about 40 years of recipes and organized them in a note binder. I tossed at least half of the recipes. Isn't it interesting how over the years, trends of foods, diet changes etc change so much? My IC condition has made me eliminate most of the dishes and foods I ate but I am learning how to adapt many and they even taste good! :)

• Like 1

I've started going through some of my stuff in preparation of moving my work room. DH ordered a 10X12 outbuilding for me. We removed the old hot tub from the deck, repaired the flooring and when the building pieces arrive, it will be constructed just outside my back door. I can hardly wait. The building will be insulated, heated and cooled, have windows and I hope plenty of room for all my stuff. I've managed in the corner of a room for 10 years and just the thoughts of having 3 full walls and part of the 4th to fill with all my boxes, roll around cabinets and mini supplies is making me giddy.

• Like 2

Roxy, that reminds me I have to organize my recipes. Half of them are hanging on the fridge and the other half are in a pile on the kitchen counter! I really need a binder LOL!

Wow, Grazhina, I'm sorry to hear about the hacking issues! I hope you get it all sorted.

Congratulations, Gayle! You will get SO spoiled, SO quickly!

Grazhe, I'm so sorry you were hacked!

DS#1 has emailed us that he will be bringing his family for Thanksgiving this week. I'll believe it when they pull into the driveway. We have been in this house for over three years and I invited ALL the kids to come for that first Thanksgiving in the new house,, which is also the LAST Thanksgiving I cooked for; so we made reservations for seven of us for the jazz brunch we're going to. Today I finished my grocery shopping (Ill be cooking breakfasts and suppers, just not my formerly huge holiday feast); the store still had shelves stocked with everything on my list, although only two or three of most items were there.

Today is the start of the Thanksgiving cooking marathon. I have most of my lists made and ready to go, and I actually am a little ahead. In making the lists, I plan out what to do on each day because splitting a large job up always makes it seem more manageable somehow. I say a little ahead because I actually planned all my lists for our meal on Wednesday?!?....totally screwed up the day. I worked retail for years so I know all about Black Friday and everyone being grumpy because they'd rather be home sleeping off their turkey from the day before. Still having a hard time believing I mixed it up. Hopefully the mix-up trend doesn't spread to the cooking :lol:

• Like 1

No Thanksgiving preparation going on here. We're going to cousin Gloria's for dinner. Her family is each bringing something to the dinner. My offer to bring something was met with dead silence, and then a hesitant, "Well, maybe some plastic plates?" The thing is, even after having been down here for more than ten years, the locals don't trust my Northern cooking, even though individually they've enjoyed my gumbo and shrimp & mirliton casseroles and other Creole dishes. I pressed and am being allowed to bring the dinner rolls. I thought about making them from scratch but have decided to buy them at the local bakery or cut up Pillsbury Italian bread dough into pieces to bake. No point in shattering their opinion of my culinary skills. I'll enjoy dining on their contributions to the meal. :D

• Like 4

I usually cook the feast for everyone. Some bring pies but otherwise it's me. This year, we-e-e-e-e-ll, let's just say, that's not happening. It's tough to lug around a 20+lb turkey while using crutches. I'm going to try to make a pie or two and some salads. Otherwise, dinner is coming in the form of a purchased package deal from the local market. Never done this before ~ seems heretical!!! Yikes....

Work is about done for now on my house (out of money) so I will make a new list of things for the spring.

I don't have to cook for thanksgiving because I am going to my sister's house. I just have to take a vegetable.

Today I need to go to the grocery store (it's been a couple of months) and finish organizing the garage. It's amazing how much room there is now that everything is getting put away instead of piled up....

I just got a call from appliance repair that the repair man can come today to finish fixing my stove. This is the 4th time someone is coming in the past 7 weeks or so. (Frankly, I've lost track of time) One of my burners wouldn't ignite. The first guy said yes, I needed a part and he ordered it. A couple of weeks later the 2nd guy came to install the part, said uh-oh, a screw was stripped, because the igniter had been replaced once before, and he might ruin the thing altogether if he tried to replace the part. He checked the igniter again, made some adjustments, and the burner worked - for a day or two.

A couple of weeks later another repair man (from a different company) came to install the new igniter. He also said the stripped screw would present a serious problem, but he hadn't been aware that I had a waranty. That's good, he said, and added he'd order the needed backup parts.

After a couple of weeks I got a call that the parts were in. The guy was here for most of the afternoon, the burner worked fine, but while he was here another burner quit. He ordered a part for it and the stove will be fixed today.

Now, if only I could get a plumber to come to give us an estimate on what it will cost to fix the leaky pipe under the bathtub. DH says the only way to get at that is by making a hole in the ceiling of the room below our bathroom.

The stove repairman just arrived an hour early.

Don't feel bad Kathie, my first husband and I were married for 27 years and never once was I asked to contribute anything but rolls to a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

Our Thanksgiving fare will be the fish we've caught this summer. I don't like turkey.

Hey Kathie, always love northern cooking. Anything with apples and seafood to die for. Now I'm living in the land where mac and cheese is a vegetable.....

Yup. Served alongside rice and potatoes, all on the same plate. And don't forget the overcooked canned green beans with ham or bacon bits.

• Like 3

Just back from the pharmacy picking up eye drops for Lloyd. He woke up this morning with pain in one eye. I got him in to see an ophthalmologist who diagnosed dendrite --- a herpes infection of the eye, like a cold sore that didn't know it was supposed to head for the lips. Poor guy. He says it feels like he has a log in his eye.

of course around my house I am chief cook and dishwasher...been married close to 30 yrs now and ANY time I have asked to bring a dish I was politely turned down or if I brought something I knew my kids would eat...no one else would....after 10 yrs of this my hubby said...no more you cook better than they do,we will do it ourselves.....we/me does it now....got out my roaster to clean and got disposable pans for my sides cleaning and prepping the house now for the start of my cooking marathon stating with my 6 pies and one cake...for Friday is my middle sons Birthday....I am making a pumpkin cheesecake for him. than all my veggies for each dish will be chopped and put in big Ziploc bag for Thursday....I will not be going to any black Friday sales....and I am bummed...on the up side the man and I did order both of ourselves cheap tablets to try the technology...its our gift to ourselves for being such awesome parents again...lol....I know alot of us out there are living with the children and grans...it aint easy...specially when the adults aka grown kids forget we are NOT doing this for THEM....its all about those grans!!

so Merry Christmas papaw and nannie! DH says if he like his he WILL be upgrading asap...out on the truck the laptop is more a bother than convenience...

have some ornaments to do with the kids...we may do the today so they will be dry when we put up the tree this weekend.

the med I was taking for the bi-polar started giving me side affects. so Iam once again without....should make for fun time for all...hahahaha the most stressful time of the yr and me without the power to keep cray-cray in check....lol Im in a happy place this yr with having my son and his kids here so even with the stress I think it will be amazing...even if Cray pokes her head out....my cycle was slowed for 3 months so even though it has sped up I am no where in a manic state where things can get tricky.... :dunno:

closer we get to Christmas though I wont take bets.....the family has been warned and the kids prepped...hugs and I love you's make great ammunition

enjoying some cool temps and beautiful sunshine here in Phoenix.....hope everyone's day is just as nice! :peace:

• Like 2

I baked some oatmeal cookies and doing laundry. We aren't having a huge dinner for Thanksgiving but I am making pumpkin pie. Its going to be a quiet day, turkey and pumpkin pie and of course football! :)

I'm not going anywhere this thanksgiving wwe stopped doing that 4 years ago cause my dh brothers husband invited his whole gosh darn family (the first year it happened we were shocked but the next year I had enough and refused to go ...rich went by himself and after that he wanted to stop going altogether...so we lie and make up stories about what we are doing for thanksgiving..wwe basicly just stay home and sleep) the brothers husband mother tried to play me last Xmas but I played dumb and she dropped it...I'm looking forward to turkey day

• Like 1