What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Sorry you're still having employment problems, Jeremy. Hope you find a solution soon.

I had an interesting (sort of) experience this morning. I got up at 5:00 am to get ready to head out to a craft bazaar today, and just a moment after my alarm went off I heard the buzzer in the hallway. When our house was built 14 years ago we had a switch put on the wall in my mother's bedroom, so if she needed help she could call us. This is the first time it was buzzed legitimately - as she has bumped it several times accidentally. It's not a sound I want to hear at 5 in the morning! So I went into her room, only to find her on the floor! She had been heading to the bathroom and somehow slipped, or tripped, and went down. My DH is out of town, and though my mother is not very heavy, I couldn't lift her from head-on. So she scooted along on her bottom - my sweet 91 year old mother - to the foot of the bed where there was more room and I could get behind her. I got a grip under her arms and it was a straight pull to the upright position. I was praying the whole time, because I really didn't think I could do it - I needed a supernatural boost. It was the worst kind of lifting - no leverage, no help, just put all the strain on my back!! But I did it (probably with an angel's help) - got her up high enough to sit on the edge of the bed. From there to the bathroom, and then back to bed for her.

My aunt (Mother's youngest sister) was doing the bazaar with me, and last night we unloaded 2 cars and set up our tables, to be ready for today. And then after the event was over we reloaded 2 cars again and headed for home. My aunt's health has deteriorated in the last few years so I did all the heavy hauling - 4 tables, 2 chairs, and all her gift baskets, which are odd shaped and difficult to carry. All of my product fits into 4 rolling totes - 2 quick trips and I'm done!

My back is staging a protest tonight and I am looking forward - very soon - to getting horizontal and staying that way. Hope Mother doesn't need me during the night!! :stretcher:

• Like 1

let it snow, let it blow, wish it would go...

While we are not supposed to get a lot, it's so windy that my mom said the highways were really poor for visability. And then there is Ye Olde Wind Chilly. -9 C right now...but -21 with the wind. My poor mother, just came back from Vancouver Island (my cousins live out there on her side of the family). It's been mild out there and she had been enjoying outdoor lunches and tea on my cousin's patio!

Snowing here like crazy! The weather channel says less than an inch of snow.........there is already about 8 inches since last night....

Its about 13 degrees out this morning. We don't have snowplows out here so we just wait for it to melt. Its a good day to stay inside and watch football games me thinks. :cold:

No snow over here down in these part of Sweden, lots and lots of wind gusts though... Been chasin' flower pots and securing the trash bin etc and keep checking the weather guys updayes as it seems like the wind is picking up strenght from somewhere...

Otherwise feeling pretty snug as we put in some jpirs up in the loft area adding some insulation as another step into converting it into our future bedroom. Feels great and allready getting warmer :)

Hugs

• Like 1

Overcast & warmer here. DH & The Kid are off to the hardware store for a new flapper for the commode tank in our bathroom and probably another one for the other bathroom. We get slime mold like crazy here. At the Havana house our less-than-four year old upstairs commode is totally busted, and the contractor has that added to his list. The ones in this house are only six years old, so we aren't thrilled at all.

Meanwhile I am baking cookies today

• Like 1

Be careful with your back, C J. I hope it doesn't become a long term injury.

We took the kids to UF's art museum yesterday. Aside from a little impatience from our 3 year-old, the kids behaved themselves and actually found some of the art interesting. Regretfully, the Monet wasn't one of them. Although my kids didn't touch any of the art, I can't say the same for a couple of college aged visitors who were there. I was about to say something to them when security told them to stop poking a 147 year old oil on canvas. My first visit to an art museum was at the age of 10, and I knew then that art was to be seen, not touched.

After the museum, we went to a new Korean barbeque restaurant in town. I would say it was good, but my DW and I cooked our own dinner. I don't know if it's a "unique dining experience" or a scam when a dining establishment charges a premium for meals that the customers had to prepare themselves. :p

Besides sanding new boards for the Victorian's replacement flooring, I need to do some repairs on the Tudor, too. It looks like my youngest son found a new game of pulling out tiles in the bathroom. He only removed a handful, but without a secure place to keep it, he may do some additional "remodeling" before he reaches an understanding that it isn't for him to play with.

• Like 2

My mother had a thing against buffet restaurants. Her theory was that if she was going to pay somebody for a meal, they could darn well bring the food to her.

Quiet Sunday here, mainly stalking dead people.

My mother had a thing against buffet restaurants. Her theory was that if she was going to pay somebody for a meal, they could darn well bring the food to her.

Kathie, I'm with your mom, nor would I want to go to a BBQ and cook my own food. I never could understand the allure of that.

• Like 1

countdown to Florida!!!!! I wanted to leave last week, but spouse works. He is the director at the Veteran's Cemetery here, so he was working on Veteran's day. IT'S FREEZING!!!!! I hate cold. My SoCA blood does not do well in cold. I will so enjoy our time in FL. Most of the kids and grandkids will be there. Daughter and son-in-love are renewing their marriage vows on the beach. PLEASE make the cold stay here and not follow me!!!

Oooh, pretty betta, Hazel! Years ago I had them, too, and they are really interesting fish. Your new friend is a beauty indeed.:)

I've had an experience this weekend that I really need to share, but I think I'm going to do it as a separate topic. It's fairly gruesome and just doesn't seem to fit here, but I think it stuff folks really need to know, could save a life.

• Like 1

Quiet Sunday here, mainly stalking dead people.

I have to ask... what is this? Code for "I'm watching The Walking Dead?" It must be something obvious since no one else is asking about it.

Hazel, I love your new fish! Gorgeous colors. My daughter had one when she was about 5, and named him Phil. He was reddish blue, and lived with us for several years until he went to the big fishbowl in the sky. My daughter insisted we have a funeral for Phil, so his final resting spot is under the bushes by our window in the apartment we lived in at the time.

Mary, I read your post, and am SO GLAD you are okay! I was horrified to hear everything you went through!

I'm going to work on some prototypes for our next guild meeting project this evening. Hopefully they'll turn out. I've got about 5 more shingles to put on the farmhouse, and then it'll be constructed and I'll get to move on to the fun part... finishing the interior/exterior! :ohyeah:

• Like 1

I have to ask... what is this? Code for "I'm watching The Walking Dead?" It must be something obvious since no one else is asking about it.

Cheverly ... I'm an obsessed genealogist who on some days spends more time stalking dead people than interacting with live ones. :D

• Like 1

We put up a summer house/children's play house this weekend. It is 5'x7', big enough for us to overnight in when it gets warmer. It is a Christmas present for the girls - they'll see the outside, but hopefully the the inside will remain a surprise until Christmas day (painted white, but full of rainbow/colourful accessories). PILs questioned whether this was the best time to put up a shed...perhaps not, but not an impossible time, and better than closer to Christmas! Did the base last weekend and the house this weekend. We were very proud of our work, sister and I, having never put a shed up before, the doors close and are aligned! Still have a few bits of trim to attach tomorrow, but then the outside is done. Somewhat foolishly decided I would crochet a rainbow blanket for the inside. I'm a slow crocheter, so a couple rows a night it is, we'll see how far I get before Dec 25th! https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10714183_10154943611100602_6009658765106022449_o.jpg (picture of progress so far. Haven't yet worked out how to put links in properly on my tablet, so you'll have to copy and paste I think!)

• Like 1