What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Is it a little chilly down there Holly? The wind started just now, its howling. We are just to the west enough it will cool down but not as bad as the rest of the country. We are always in the teens at night up here in the clouds anyway. Stay warm!

Not so bad during the day. We took our visiting sons out for jazz tonight and I was still OK with long sleeves and a shawl when it was over. One of the genealogy sits DS#2 belongs to does photo requests for old grave sites and pictures of ancestors, so we walked down to the neighborhood cemetery before lunch to find a grave for one of his contacts.

We're seeing the effects of "winter" (yeah, it's not a polar vortex to me, either - its

WINTER!) here in the east slopes of the Cascade Mountains. High temps the rest of the week in the 20's, and I'm not even gonna discuss the overnight lows LOL. And - wait for it - snow starting Wednesday night and lasting into next week. Well, the temps are a little January-ish for us here, but snow, yeah, it's pretty much on time. But I did have to laugh at Koko this morning; he sat looking out the window for the longest time this morning, then sighed and used his catbox instead of going outdoors like he usually does. He's nobody's fool, that one. :)

• Like 2

Halloween is officially done and put away...with the man away it takes me a bit longer to gather and pack...but I tend to clean out the packing boxes as well

my Christmas tub has made an appearance but I have yet to dig into it....the prelit tree I got for 10$ doesnt light up...no biggie as the lights are just wrapped around the branches...I can do that and will once I get the other lights off...sounds like a project for the hubby and myself this weekend....than we will have to have an ornament making day or 2....my real box of Christmas did not make it to Az yet and I only have blue ornaments for a 2 ft tree not 7 foot....some festive Geo-mesh will take away the need for AS many dodads...we shall see...I am gonna do salt clay for paintable and cinnamon dough for smelly ones...and some clear glass globes to fill with various items....maybe Styrofoam balls to roll in glue and glitter....haven't made my final choice for them....and we have a multitude of pinecones....

I look forward to the larger green tree this yr....I wont set up my grans tree but one of the smaller blue trees will provide the lighting for the village

I know Thanksgiving is first but we havent had Christmas with the grans in 4 yrs...and with all my goodies in storage I have prep work to limited funds means PLANNING in advanced.....have some list going...today I am doing the shopping for Thanksgiving....we have decided to eat outside on our patio...we are going to use sheets and lights for a drapey/tent like feeling...should be festive!

Selkie I hope you are on the mend!

Today it got up to the low 70s with some overcast late, so I know more WINTER is on its way, but we took The Kids into downtown Pensacola with us. The Wentworth Museum was closed for the holiday, but our favorite art gallery was open and featuring the work of a dozen of our local female artists. Afterwards we went over to Seville Square and had lunch, finished up with dessert for the menfolk at Pensacola Bay Brewery and came home.

I painted a second coat on the bathroom baseboards and stained the livingroom and bedroom floors'

Lynette, I used to make ornaments from papermache and Styrofoam egg cartons, sprayed with metallic paints and embellished with beads , braids and laces. You could put a pinch of potpourri in them before gluing them together. The Styrofoam ones make into really pretty bird ornaments. One year while doing my holiday baking I blew all my eggshells and washed them and decoupaged motives from Christmas napkins on them.

• Like 2

My first day was cancelled due to staffing issues yesterday, so I started early this morning. It was a little different, watching planes taxi right up to the building I work in. I mostly dig through mountains of maintenance and parts records. It's almost as much auditing as it is data entry. I have so many different things to remember, it will take a while to get used to.

• Like 2

Several of us played at the National cemetery this morning--weather not horrible, but it started raining, then sleet on the way to the next place-fortunately it was moved inside.

Selkie--hope all went well with the surgery and the pain is tolerable.

Jeremy--hang in there--maybe they will take advantage of your experience and bump your pay accordingly.

We got our first real cold weather yesterday - down in the 20's - but no precipitation. Lots of wind, though, which always brings trees down across power lines or across highways. Most of the storm was east of us, closer to the Cascade Mountains. As long as we don't lose power I don't really care what the weather does.

Selkie - hope that new knee heals quickly. My aunt had that surgery earlier this year and she's so glad she did!

Jeremy - glad you finally got some kind of a job - hope it turns out to be something you can enjoy.

Well, the Polar Vortex will be making its way into our neighborhood tonite sometime. In the meantime, it's a beautiful -albeit windy-day.

My main concern with the weather is the fact that my DD#1, her hubby, and DD#2 will be driving across country next week! DD#1 is moving back to the East Coast - yippee! :banana: Anywho - just a bit concerned for their trek over the mountains....and kinda hoping they change their plans and take the longer 'southern route' back to PA since most of the 'northern route' is having snow this week!

While I enjoy snow, I don't tolerate the cold very well. And today is a very bad 'Fibro day'....looking forward to an evening with an afghan and a hot pack. :)

Foggy and fifty here today. Cold is coming tomorrow. Bought a new storage rack to stick in the closet and have been cleaning up the workshop today! So now my DH and myself can be in there at the same time.....not the closet, the craft room! LOL!

Laundry's about half done (there was LOTS) and I noticed a section of dropped stitches on the second sock's heel gusset, so I got disgusted and ripped the whole thing out and started over and I have the first two inches redone. I popped into the workshop fo a few minutes whilst I was making up the RV beds with clean sheets. Now I've got dinner started and stopped to sit down for a minute or so.

:cold: OK its officially cold over here in the mountains! 35 today for the high, not sure how low it will go tonight. I am glad that I bought a good new battery for my car!!!
I have been running fast all day catching up on errands and my TO DO list ( its endless!!!) Fortunately ( or un) I am not having company for Thanksgiving this year as far as I know so I can relax about that one. :clap:

Thinking healing thoughts to Selkie and of course my friend Kat!
Stay warm everyone!

• Like 1

Many people not far from us are without power for the second night in a row, and they are saying the power might not be on for another day or two. They said on the news tonight that there are "miles of downed trees" on power lines! They are getting reinforcement crews from Canada, Idaho, and Oregon to help clean up the mess! I'm so thankful our power company stays on top of tree situations - they've been out trimming trees for the last two months. Our house is 100% electric so losing power would be very bad for us. We have some emergency propane bottle thingies but I don't want to rely on those. I would have to pack up Mother and take her to a hotel - and there's only one in the next town up the road.

So I am very thankful that our power is still on! :cold:

• Like 1

Our temps are in the 40s this AM and expected to dip into the 30s tonight, so I think we're going to run errands after while and hunker down afterwards. All y'all west and north of us, take care, stay warm and be safe.

• Like 1

Lloyd had a list of errands that he planned to do today, but it's chilly, dark and raining, so I guess we'll be hunkering down, too. Not complaining, though. I'll take our 30s, 40s and 50s over the bone chilling weather elsewhere.

Oh. yuck, Kathie; we'll be getting your weather later, and it's already done the dark & rainy here! We have to run these two errands but then I am going to pull the house in after me when we get home. I'm glad now that DS#2 & wife left yesterday; I'd hate to think of them flying back home in this soup, much less driving to the airport in it.

• Like 1

We were in the 20's last night, but no precipitation. Glad I've been able to stay home and not work at some Home Show right now. However, on Saturday I'm doing a craft show about 50 miles away - hope it's not snowing by then.

It has been cool in the mornings, but nice throughout the day (mid-70's) all week.

Work has been interesting. I don't mind the amount of paperwork and data entry involved, but remembering all of the steps is difficult with my learning disability. I have been taking detailed notes and writing outlines of each task as a cheat sheet. I don't see a problem learning all of the skills required. Apparently airlines are required to keep track of every nut and bolt used on a plane.

There have been around a half dozen planes at the hangar this week. The boss mentioned that a permanent position in our department was posted on the website and suggested I apply for it. I'm just not sure if that's something I want to do. The way I see it, I have three options. I can just keep working as a temp and continue to look for something better. Option 2 is to apply for the job, and stay with the company until they move to Orlando, still looking for something permanent and local. The last option is to stay with the company and relocate when they move the office. The problem with the last option, is that NOBODY except the manager is going to relocate. They all plan to resign by then. I have confirmed with the manager that my pay won't change at all. Another employee told me that she hasn't gotten a raise since she started 3 years ago. I hate to break it to upper management, but the cost of living doesn't stay the same year after year. There are rumors that the company might pay for some of the moving costs and might be considering a bump in pay for everyone moving with the company. I can't really afford to live on my wages now, I certainly won't survive in a more expensive economy down south. Despite the bleak outlook, everyone seems to have a positive attitude and everyone works well together.

I wish I knew what was going on with the company. If I knew what their financial outlook or corporate plan was, I would be able to make a competent decision. I do know that about 1/3 of their fleet is regularly down for maintenance and repairs, and that they have stopped flying to several locations. I don't know how that reflects the bottom line. There is one advantage to working in the airline industry- really cheap flights with several carriers. If we have access to that benefit before my 90 day probationary period is up, we might have the option of the entire family flying to Houston next month for $90 or less, round trip.