What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Listening to it rain and rain and rain....Koko loathes the rain, insists on going out to "take care of business" (though I do keep a catbox) and so I've also been serenaded during his every waking moment with complaints, verbal abuse and been called ever dirty name in the book. He doesn't understand that I, even more than he, hates all this rain we've been having the last week or so, and wish, wish, WISH it would stop! Well, soon enough it'll turn to snow....SIGH. Already missing summer.

Did also just finish a mini project I've thought about for quite a while: a 1:12 scale baby set, with blanket, dress and bonnet (I refused to even consider making booties), and while I will almost certainly never do such a thing again, I did have fun figuring out how to do what I wanted and then making the set. I do loves a challenge, and this sure was!

EErm, Holly, I was born and spent my life until the last few years in Seattle, but had the good sense a few years ago to move to the OTHER side of the mountains, where it is NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THIS! Shoot, I've been here long enough now to have lost that coating of moss and those web feet almost completely....we may get 6-10 feet of snow where I now am, but rain? Not hardly, dang it! (in fact, all this week I keep asking, "So who did a Star Trek transport on me back to Seattle when I wasn't looking???")

Sorry, Roxy, I didn't mean to sound like I was snapping at you about HL. I'm just frustrated that it took me a decade to get to the salary I was at, only to see all the jobs in this awful little town offer the same wages I couldn't survive on back then. Nothing is cheaper than it was then, but all the employers expect us to work for the same or less than what they paid 10 years ago.

If I am able to get on with an oil company in ND, I'll go solo while my family stays here in FL. I'll send as much as I can to them and visit as often as possible, but that is the best I can hope for. My attempts to apply with Exxon and several other employers have been thwarted over the past few day. Every time I try to upload my resume, something scrambles the document. Instead of letters and words, it's just a bunch of random, unidentifiable symbols. I have tried reformatting my resumes repeatedly, but nothing works. Just like my attempts to sell dollhouses, it's obvious I will never get a break.

At this point, if I don't find work within a few weeks, we will lose our house. The best we can hope for is to raid what little my wife has in her 401K so we can relocate back into an apartment someplace where real paying jobs still exist.

We had over 270 kids last night and ran out of candy then. Still had more come looking for treats while we were taking down our decorations. It's the biggest year yet. Last year we broke the 200 mark. We have fun decorating our front porch and walkway. Our whole family sits out and greets the kiddos. Some of us wear costumes or masks and just have fun. I don't like the evil/wicked/gory stuff but I love all the little princesses and pirates and zebras and puppies, etc. One kid was the Tardis phone booth thing and his two friends were Dr. Who and some other character from the story. That was hilarious.

On other news, I had my hospital pre-op visit this week. I went to my "joint class" which the name just cracks me up. I mentioned it to the instructor and she had never thought about the connection before - yikes - what planet did she grow up on?

Anyways, I saw the anesthesiologist, the PT, the nurse assessment person, the intake person, and had some more tests. If nothing else they are thorough.

So, a week from Monday, I'll be under the knife. I'll probably be offline for a bit until my brain unscrambles. Anesthesia always messes with my head.

• Like 2

Today is november 1, that means put away all of the Halloween decorations and start thinking of my Christmas house. It is already made but every year it must be " cleaned" up a

bit. I try and add new things.

I tried to add the pictures of my house, they are in the gallery, but was not able. Try and see it.

Gail :bear:

Hello everyone! I've been out of pocket for a couple of weeks,due to a really bad case of 'chemo flu',but am feeling a bit better,just in time for another session this coming Tuesday! <_<

I've been catching up with all I've missed here,including the site being shutdown-I had anticipated that,because before I was offline there had been an increasing number of spammers and I've learned in my short time here that seems to be the common denominator precursor to any time GL has shut down lately-just my personal observation-not sure if it really is the reason,but I am so grateful that it's up and running,as I missed y'all while I was sick!

Too much has happened with everyone here these last couple of weeks to give all a personal note,but just know I am so glad for everyone's good and happy news and am so sorry for any illness and other bad happenings and hope things will get much better soon! ^_^

Two weeks ago,Friday night the 17th,there was another car crash in front of my home! This one wasn't fatal,Thank God,but she hit the same large oak tree at the edge of the yard as was hit 6 months ago,almost to the day(April 18th)! She came almost exactly the same path,across the grass lawn edge of the 2 previous lots and hit the tree to the left,not straight on and to the right as in the previous crash,but this car also flipped,and landed crossways out in the dirt road,at the foot of my driveway.(The previous one flipped to the right of the tree and landed in my driveway,just yards from the porch.) I was lying on the couch at the time,very sick,and my heart went into my throat,hearing the all-to-familiar "Bang! Bang!" The emergency crews got here pretty fast this time,thankfully,as I was totally alone (no neighbors were home this time). I was told she had a broken arm then and later heard she was pretty banged up,but was fine. At the scene she had said she hit a bump in the road,but by her tracks,she had to have been speeding and was never even on the (very smooth surfaced) dirt road after she left the paved part way back before you get to my yard. As soon as I am well enough to deal with it,I intend to get up with my landlord and whoever is in charge of our county roads and see what sort of signs or something can be done to prevent this from happening again! As you can imagine,my nerves are totally shot at nightfall around here once again!

My good news is I have felt well enough this week to do some puttering around with some mini doodads I'm making and with my little D.C. Ashley/Cool Breeze Cottage. :) I have parts and pieces all over the living room and still have a long way to go,but it was so nice to be washing glue and paint off my fingertips several times a day again! :D

The trailer's heater has been out here again-I tested it a couple of weeks ago,but didn't feel like having anyone around to work on it. But yesterday morning I let the landlord know when he picked up the rent $. The repairman called me right after that and came out in the afternoon. My vanity is so bad-I rushed to dress decently and threw on some mascara and drew on some eyebrows-I still have lashes,but my already scant eyebrows are just about non-existent! I pulled on a knit cap and some earrings,too. The repairman is sort of a family friend-his uncle and my mother were childhood playmates-so I always like to 'visit' with him while he's working. Caught up on all the news to tell and now have a toasty warm trailer-just in time,as we had a real bluster come through here last night!! It sounded horrible for hours!

Today it's cool but gorgeously sunny out there! I cannot believe it's time to turn the clocks back again already! With this cancer stuff going on I have missed nearly 2 whole seasons! Well,I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend! :wave:

• Like 3

Welcome back, Kat. You have been missed of course, but we all know what you're up against. Aren't minis a great way to forget about feeling rotten? It's supposed to get even colder overnight tonight, so I'm glad you have heat! I switched over this AM but it hasn't kicked on yet.

I started a pair of socks for DIL#2. It finally cooled down enough to go play in the workshop and DH found other attractive nuisances to mess with, instead. Our bank opened a new office in downtown Pensacola today and we sent for all the info and free food, then puttered around downtown checking out couple of places tat had caught our attention other trips; and finished up at the Saturday market along the Palafox Street median. I got some beautiful jalapeno peppers, now all I need is some low-fat sharp cheddar cheese and well be eating biscuits again!

• Like 1

Cleaned for fall today and moved some furniture around to accommodate the houses. Just watched the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita--great race! I don't bet, but love to watch the T'breds run. We've had a few retired race track T'breds, and they are great when retrained for hunter/jumper/pleasure. (The trick is to get them to slow down and teach them to turn right sometimes!)

• Like 4

My son got his stitches out yesterday and it looks great ! He starts physical therapy next week ! he's so happy to be out of the cast. They have him in a splint he has to wear all the time. He can only take it off to take a shower and wash his hands, but he has to be very careful nothing hits his thumb. About 5 minutes after they took the stitches out he passed out for a minute or so.... Not sure what happened, lol, he watched them take the stitches out, took pictures then just got really lightheaded, and that was it. He's ok now. Just wanted to update you all. !

• Like 4

I have been nursing a marathon migraine again so haven't been posting or doing much except trying to keep up with laundry and chores. I have stalled out on mini projects so I am waiting for the Inspiration Fairy to come and drop an idea on me. :)

• Like 1

Some people get lightheaded watching their blood being drawn, Kelly. Glad to hear he's doing well!

We went over to the Havana house yesterday and spent the day loading trash and garbage from the yard into the back of our truck, which we took to the landfill this AM; nearly 400 pounds! (the first load was slightly more than 400 pounds). There's a very small pile of large-ish items (quilted stuff and at least one rug0 left in the yard plus several items scattered throughout the greenhouse and former workshop that we we'll get when we repeat the process taking DS#3 home next month. The people hired to CLEAN the house before the contractor came apparently didn't understand the level of cleaning we expected so I will be taking my cleaning gear to get rid of the MOLD in the kitchen, as well as to attempt to finish cleaning the stove.

• Like 1

Thanks, Gloria; I consider it therapy. The mold is growing on the cooking grease deposited on the wood; hot water and bleach will kill it. I don't know if the baked-on black stuff will succumb to ammonia alone, so I'm taking the baking soda, too.

After we loaded the truck we went to supper and when we got back we set up our cots, changed into our jammies and that was it until sunrise. After dumping the garbage we grabbed a bite of breakfast and went to pick up The Kid and were back home after a lunch stop in Milton.

Today has been busy. A friend of mine who means well, but is an "activator" (someone who has to keep busy, making things happen, but lacks the endurance to follow through on long-term projects or the attention to detail needed sometimes), helped me get an interview this morning. I had mentioned to him that I applied for a job at Hobby Lobby, and he told me he knew the manager. He was going to call they guy up and put in a good word for me. This morning he made the call, and I received a call from the manager- of the local Hobbytown USA store! I still need a job, so when he told me to come on over with a resume, I threw on a shirt and tie, and went. As I suspected, the store's size is a good indication of the growth and pay potential. He implied that if I was hired, I would need to be committed to the work (obviously), but I can't afford to stay anywhere for very long if they're going to pay starvation wages.

Immediately after the interview, I went to the local Employ Florida office for a recruiting event set up by a warehouse temp company. It is for a gig from now to the end of January at the local Walmart DC. I applied for one of the equipment operator positions, but the recruiter said she would put me in the truck loading / unloading or order picking spots. I said "no thanks". I did that kind of work for several months when I was in my early 20's. Fixing the damage I did to my back cost about twice as much as I had earned. Now that I'm almost 40, have permanent damage to a shoulder and the job requires 14 to 16 hour shifts, seven days a week until after the holidays, there is no way I would last more than a day or two.

To make things more interesting, when I arrived, my prescription glasses were not in the pocket I had put them in when I left the hobby store. I backtracked my entire route, but they're gone. I have another interview for an office job with a small airline tomorrow. Between the glasses, my email being down for the past few days thanks to a glitch with Yahoo's new layout and a million other things that have gone wrong, I'm starting to wonder what will sabotage the interview.

The most aggravating thing about the jobs that I'm interviewing for, is that despite their requirements of licenses, certifications or experience, they all pay about 10 cents more per hour than McDonald's.

I quit my job and today is my last day..no more freeway driving and maybe I can find something closer to home ..its really a challenge to drive 40 miles in the snow.... I feel like it's a new chapter in my life and Im happy but Im a bit scared, it's funny that when I have bad feelings I come here and I feel better..I dont know what I would do without this place....yea I know that's a very sappy statement so I hope someone else posts soon ...thank god for you guys I dont know how I would make it through today if I didn't have you ...I'd probably be a wreck..ok time to get to work..I'll see you guys later:)

• Like 3

thank you holly :) did you know white vinegar kills mold and mildew, it doesn't stain wood or discolor fabric like bleach does and you dont get that chemical smell

They didn't teach us that in either home ec OR nursing school! And I just picked up a brand new gallon jug of white vinegar! Thank you, thank you, thank you!