What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Oh, Deb! I was so hoping you had finally gotten the help you needed! I sure wish you lived closer.

Lawanda, the closest hospital of any size is fifty miles away from Cedar Key, in Gainesville. This becomes a factor after retirement. It's the reason DH & I moved from Havana, FL, to Seminole, AL (we're less than 30 minute ambulance call from three large hospitals in Pensacola).

The contractor is building our screen porch today.

Originally we were going to go to my early AM physical exam appointment and then come home and take the camper and both vehicles to the state forest campground along the hike route, but common sense kicked in and we're going to wait until after Sunday's hike to take the camper to our reserved site at the State Park. I spent today washing clothes and tomorrow after the doctor were going to get groceries to stock the camper fridge and pantry.

Lawanda, Cedar Key is a neat little town. My DW and I like the restaurants and the laid back vibe they have. I used to fish out there, until the oil spill. I don't think I would want to live there during hurricane season, though. Way too close to sea level when the storm surges roll in.

This has been a busy week, job search wise. My unemployment benefits ran out last week, but I had one of three job interviews this morning. It was just a quick phone interview, but I don't think it went well. From what I understand, it was just a data entry clerk position with low pay and no room for advancement. Besides, $10/hr. was barely a living wage 10 years ago. It certainly isn't now.

On Friday, I interview for a District Admin. Assistant position. I'm very hopeful for a good interview there. Not only did they not balk at my salary requirements, they emailed an interview invite within hours after I submitted an application. The third interview hasn't been scheduled yet, but the professional job placement company called about it this morning. The pay is midway between the two aforementioned jobs, but is at the least, an opportunity to get back to work, so I'm very interested in talking with them.

This morning I cleared part of the southeast half of the yard. It's less dense than the other side, where I have been clearing since we moved. I can actually see the end of the property on the Southeast side. I also found out last week that the bite on my lower calf was a brown recluse, but I only had a moderate reaction to it. It's just one really big, itchy red patch that is slowly healing.

Ack, Jeremy! My very first patient in nursing school was an elderly lady who had been bitten in the back by a brown recluse and except for one day when I was at the nursing home and she was there, she was usually having hyperbaric O2 treatments to try to stop the tissue digestion; she had a hole in her back I could put my fist through! (the other clinical days I worked with her roommate, who had lost both legs to diabetes mellitus and was extremely noncompliant)

Holly, the first patient with a brown recluse bite that I transported, was bitten while using a porta-john at a construction site. A nest of them had made their home under the seat. I won't say where he was bitten, but he wasn't handling the loss of his "manhood" very well. I wouldn't have either. Had I developed the telltale crater, I would have called the doctor sooner, but I gave it a week and finally went after my DW nagged me into going.

I had a conversation about those kinds of spiders several years ago with several biologists where I used to work. They said scientists are in disagreement about whether the bites always cause necrosis of the tissue around the bite, or if those victims are the exception. It is thought, that only people with the worst reactions would seek medical treatment, so the popular belief is that the bite always causes serious damage, but people who's immune system can handle the venom wouldn't even know they were bitten or like in my case, only get a minor reaction. They also said it was highly unlikely that any research to confirm the theory would ever be conducted. Deliberately injecting spider venom that could potentially cause serious tissue damage, into test volunteers would hit too many ethical roadblocks. Finding willing participants would probably also be difficult.

after 3 attempts at 3 different styles I finally achieved a Burlap wreath with big poofy bow....wedding gift for wedding I now can not go to cuz the car is broke

but sis be here tomorrow and she is taking gift. now to make the geo mesh wreaths for the door for Halloween!

• Like 1

The house siding crew arrived yesterday and started work. They nearly finished one side of the house. Thunder woke me at 2 am. It is now pouring down rain. 90% chance of more rain in forecast for next 3 days. *sigh*

Tomorrow I'm joining a group of girls from work and going to Painting With a Twist (one of those instructor-led 'art' studios where you drink wine and paint), so that'll be a good time. Yesterday I told my husband I was holing up in my craft room and making good progress on my swap items all weekend. He's fine with it as long as I give him a bit of warning.

• Like 1

I cleaned up my work area, sorted out fall clothes and now resting. I am coming down with a cold/flu thing......whatever it is I am too tired to move. I thought I would take a short break from house building and finish my afghan if my hand will let me crochet. I also bought knitting needles and thought I might try to remember how to knit. It has been years and years. Not quitting minis, just need a break. :)

I knit and crochet full size things just to keep my arthritic hands flexible.

We had breakfast on the new back porch this AM, once I removed the wee green frog that had hidden behind the struts last night and wouldn't come out. He and the fly he'd caught went out; the frog seemed happy, the fly was dead. Afterwards we went in to town to the first day of the Greek Festival; totally pigged out on spectacularly delicious Greek food!

• Like 2

I'm doing laundry !!! Finally !!! We got the washer fixed. We ordered the part from amazon. I don't buy anything online so I was scared. But it was more than half the price on amazon. I've only got 3 loads done in 2 days. But I was at work, so I am getting more hours now which is great !!! But I need clean clothes ! It's been a long week ! I worked over almost everyday this week. I'm enjoying my second job, I love seeing all the new stuff that comes in. I work the shipment team at both jobs. I've seen a lot of things I would like, but I'm being very good and haven't bought anything....I haven't even asked what my discount is.... And I'm not seasonal !!!! I got in 2 days before seasonal hiring started !!!

Kellee

• Like 2

Hope it isn't the flu, Roxxie. Whatever it is, get well soon.

I had another interview this morning. It was with the 4 division managers of a national pharmacy chain. I think it went well and will know if I'm in the final 2 spots by next Wednesday. If I get the job, I will have to learn a few more skill sets, but it pays substantially better than my previous job and it is in Gainesville, so the commute won't be bad at all.

• Like 6

My seasonal job has screeched to a halt, since we are no longer allowed in one of my favorite venues! There is a 5-day Holiday Food and Gift Show later this month and they are no longer allowing the commercial vendors (i.e. home improvement) to participate. Our company has been in it for several years and never had complaints. But they let a few others in who didn't have the horse-sense to treat it like a Holiday Show, but proceeded to hawk their wares as if they were at a back-country street fair. That ruined it for all of us! So not only do I miss a 50-hour paycheck and sales commissions; I also miss my annual shopping opportunity for my grandchildren. I guess I could go as a tourist (horrors!) and PAY for parking and PAY the entrance fee, but I am accustomed to being paid to be there, not the other way around.

So with my calendar clearer than I would like it to be, I'm busy booking craft shows. I got into a 2-day event the same weekend as the big Holiday Show and hope it will be a good one for me. Now I have to "STEP IT UP A LITTLE..." and get some more inventory ready. Just received a new box of fairies that I ordered for my fairy gardens. They are so cute!

• Like 2

My oldest granddaughter came over today and helped me reorganize, repack boxes, clean and move a TON of stuff in my attic. It's all done nice now. :cheer:

The electrician and plumber had torn it all apart for our renovation to pull up floor boards to run all the lines. The roofers had left behind sawdust and nails all over the place as well when they repaired the roof vent.

What a relief to have that off my list.

My November surgery date is fast approaching and I want everything checked off the to-do list before I go in.

Still to do is finishing putting my studio area back together, finish the decorative painting on the last wall for the little guy and finish my kitchen island project. :juggle:

Then it's just getting stuff pre-done for my job so others can fill in if needed.

Whew ... it's getting smaller but a lot still to do.

• Like 2

I made it to the grocery store and back today and spent the rest of the on the couch. I shouldn't complain considering how much my friend Kat has to bear.

I worked on a couple of rows of my afghan that I started two years ago before my hand surgery. I figure if I do a couple of rows each day eventually it will get done.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

• Like 1

Heading out today to camp for the rest of the hike. Chances of wifi are spotty, at best, so I may be away from here for the next week or so.

Hope you have a fun and safe trip Holly.

We grilled dinner again this evening. I also burned some of the chopped up vines and brush I have been cutting down. I can finally see the back of the property from a distance.

I also spent some time looking up tree house materials. The anchor bolts are kind of expensive- $119 each, and it will take a minimum of 4 just to build the main platform. They're very long, heavy metal rods with threading on one side to hold the rod in the tree, a metal ring that serves as a spacer between the lumber bracket and the tree, and threading at the end for a nut to lock in the bracket. It sounds like overkill, but they allow the tree to grow without tearing the tree house apart, and allow for far greater weight than merely using screws or nails to hold lumber in place. If I do find work soon, I'll have to built it like I build the houses- buying a few components at a time and building it as my budget allows.

• Like 3