What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

As we age saying goodby to loved ones and preparing for our own departure is an issue we have to face; unlike being born, we have varying amounts of time to have to deal with it, and I don't think we ever get used to it.

I encourage one and all to have a DNR record on file where medical personnel and family can access it easily. Years ago it fell to me to decide when to pull the plug on someone dear to me. Had there been a DNR on file, I wouldn't have been placed in that position. It took a very long time for me to accept what I'd done, even though I knew logically that it was the right thing to do.

• Like 1

I think I'll mention we'll be off in the camper in a National Forest campground preparing for the Panhandle Trace Hike next month. Since I'm so gabby, people seem to start wondering when I don't post for a day or two, so thought I'd let y'all know. The kinds of places we camp are not known for cell towers and wifi.

• Like 3

Happy Camping...I rarely take electronics with me on a a trip....makes it soooo much nicer!

I fell and broke my feet in April 2013....than in Nov 2013 I had a week of severe spins and nausea leaving me with daily vertigo

all this means I have not been on my pretty pink bike since last April...I have been more than terrified to try....but that gran daughter of mine....how will you know if you dont try??? today is bike weather and Jason went with me....and I rode our whole Cul de sac! super excited!! need to do more riding get back in shape but I am pretty happy! we are planning to take the kids and all our bikes down to Tempe for Bike Fest this weekend!! :banana::banana::banana:

• Like 2

Nutti, that's great! I'm very happy for you. I have to admit that I have not been back on my bike since my accident in July, and am kind of scared to, honestly, since i hit so hard. This weather though... it IS fabulous for riding. Maybe if I start out slow I'll get back in the groove too. Thanks for the motivation! :)

• Like 1

Sorry about what you're going through, Jackie. I can see why he might not want to go through any more ordeals with his health, but it doesn't make the inevitable outcome any easier.

Holly, "Granny's Little Red Wagon of Death" is a hilarious name for your bike. It would also be a great name for a band.

I'm fading fast from the Benadryl. I was bitten on my calf by something in the jungle a few days ago. I didn't feel the bite, but whatever it was, it's turned the surrounding area red and my entire leg itches worse than poison ivy.

...Holly, "Granny's Little Red Wagon of Death" is a hilarious name for your bike...

Since that picture was taken the flag has been replaced first by a big fluorescent yellow-green pool noodle and now I have a slow moving vehicle sign bolted on behiind my headrest. It has 27 speeds, so I can cruise along on the flats at 15 mph without breaking much of a sweat.

Jackie,I am so sorry for what you are facing with your father. It is heartbreaking and I also advice you to just be there with him when you can and tell him how much and why you love him-I know you already know this,but I sure wish I could do so for my own father. My 6 foot tall funny, gregarious,sometimes hot-tempered,but always loving Daddy suffered a massive stroke 7 long years before his death 2 1/2 years ago. It left him brain damaged and he developed a severe form of dementia. He was not paralyzed,but couldn't walk by himself,and yet he constantly tried to get up on his own,not knowing he could fall. For 7 years he had to be watched over and taken full care of 24/7,most of those years in a nursing facility,which we finally realized was best in his case. That broke my mother's heart,because she wanted to take care of him at home,but we just could not handle him on our own and she refused to hire outside help. God forgive me,but I would have given anything if he had passed on that first day,for his sake and my mother's. But I am also grateful we had time with him,such as it was. It would have killed him to watch me suffering from my cancer treatments,so I am glad he was spared that. No one knows how the future will go,we just have to pray and be there for each other...Many prayers and hugs going out to you,Jackie.

• Like 3

I've been debating what to do about the kitchen in my Fairfield. I don't want an old one, want a nice and modern one, but the ones I can afford are too boxy/clumsy looking with bits out of scale. Then my daughter found a plastic half broken trailer in a box of stuff we were given to look at on the way to the charity shop, and it has a kitchen in it! A Nice and modernish one :) Now just have to see if I can get them out without breaking them, and then probably paint them a more acceptable colour. Maybe this'll be the nudge I need to get going again (I keep looking for that nudge.....)

Allana turned one yesterday :) Natasha decided she would like a strawberry covered ladybird cake... We did our best! (First picture shows her after she's eaten it, looks like she enjoyed it!) The day before Allana's birthday she stood up by herself without holding on for the first couple times, yesterday she'd perfected it. She can take plenty of steps holding a hand or two, I'm sure it won't be long before she'll be off without help! She's also taken to spitting out her food, and not sure how to stop her. She of course does't understand 'no', though we keep saying it and turning her away from the table... I'm sure she'll grow out of it soon! She's being given more self feeding things, which seem to reduce the amount of spitting. She's got a gorgeous smile and a fantastic laugh. We went to the playground today and she was just laughing and laughing on the swings :)

post-2387-0-76355900-1412113765_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-59963100-1412113769_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-48115600-1412113773_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-74264400-1412113776_thumb.jp

• Like 5

What beautiful daughters, Muriel! Natasha is so big now. It seems like yesterday that we were worrying through your first pregnancy with her. And Aliana is a little cherub. I'm sure she appreciated her ladybug cake! :)

• Like 2

Hugs for Jackie and Muriel your children are precious!

Just doing stuff around the house this week so far. The weather got rather chilly at night ( 30 last night!) so I was changing out quilts and doing a bit of fall rearranging.
I broke a tooth so I have to go have a cap put on. Just what I needed to do spend a fortune at the dentist this week :(

I have spent the last two days cleaning up my computer! :crash: I have McAfee, which I thought would catch the "baddies" - but apparently something slipped through anyway. I was having popups on top of popups - ads for everything under the sun - just an internet nightmare. And the Greenleaf forum wasn't acting right, either.

One of the popups informed me that I had a virus and my computer was in danger. Couldn't X out of it so I called the number on the screen. A man in India informed me I had a bad virus and if I could just let him take control of my computer he could get rid of it for me. Suuure you will, Sweety :deal: I said thanks, but no thanks, and hung up.

Another popup said "if you are using this internet server, your computer is at risk. Call this number for help." It named our server, but I was still suspicious. I got out the number I usually use when I call them (not the one on the screen) - they never heard of that popup and the number on the screen was nowhere in their listing.

These creeps are so sneaky!!

I finally called McAfee and after being on hold, and waiting for a return call, was informed that what I had was actually "adware" not a virus, which is why Mac didn't catch it. They would fix it for me, but it would cost $60 up front. I told him I didn't have a spare $60 at the moment, so thank you, goodbye.

Do you know how many beautiful minis I could get for $60???

Now that I knew what I was looking for, I went to my control panel, add/remove programs, and went down the list. I uninstalled about 5 things that had been added in the last 3 days. I still have no idea how I got it as I don't remember downloading anything! If I wasn't sure what a program was, I Googled it and every time there was a link and instructions on how to get rid of it. So I have been uninstalling all kinds of garbage and restarting the computer over and over.

By this afternoon all is well! Cost me nothing but some time and frustration, and the popups are gone, Internet is working well, and Greenleaf is smooth as silk. :cloud9:

Aren't computers fun???

Now I hope none of that was spyware - don't want another CheckMouse running around!!

• Like 2

Oh I just hate it when things go wrong with the computer. I used to have McAfee, wasn't happy with it. I had Norton too, not happy with it either. Kaspersky has been doing a good job for me for several years now. They've even fixed themselves the few times they went screwy because an update didn't download correctly.

I got burned a time or two some years ago just like you, CJ. It gets scary when you have to go in and delete things deep in the heart of the computer and you keep your fingers crossed hoping the advice you saw was correct and you're not gumming things up.

I hate how you get messages that a program or function is possibly dangerous and should be blocked or quarantined and it turns out it was nothing of the kind and since you blocked it something else won't work because you really needed that thing and it wasn't a bad thing after all. Then you desperately try to undo what you did.

I hate how you get messages that a program or function is possibly dangerous and should be blocked or quarantined and it turns out it was nothing of the kind and since you blocked it something else won't work because you really needed that thing and it wasn't a bad thing after all. Then you desperately try to undo what you did.

Sounds about right! :crazyeyes:

Sorry you have been having computer troubles. We take ours to Staples every once in a while for checkups to try to prevent meltdowns. Seems to work well.

I'm waiting to hear back from a potential employer who wants to conduct an initial phone interview, and I also completed the software skills screening for a professional job placement company I have already interviewed with. I'm hoping the placement company comes through first, since they're most likely to find a job that puts my skills to good use and pays better than the other company. The phone interview is for a job that only pays $10.75 an hour, but it's better than the unemployment benefits that equate to just $6.42/hr., which will expire soon.

• Like 1