What are you up to today? This week?

The anti-tick preventive for hikers is to fill an old non-holey sock with powdered sulfur and swat the tops of your socks and shoes with it to keep the ticks from crawling up. I promise after hiking a mile or so you won't notice the smell of the sulfur; even less time in the summertime.

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havanaholly

• KathieB

• heidiiiii

• Anna

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each pa

Today I am celebrating a bit as I have been offered a new job (still principal but in a different town/municipality) which I have accepted. Same driving distance just the opposite direction, a few per

SHE's HERE!!!      Little Junia Rosalie was born on her daddy's birthday- Friday, June 9 weighing in at 7lbs 15oz and 21.5 inches long!  She's beautiful and we are SO excited for our first gran

Posted Images

Gail, My friend Liz just told me the same thing when I posted on FB how MUCH I MISS the OC fair. I guess I only have 21 days left. LOL She posted pictures of the newest ride and NO WAY would I get on any ride called "OMG" HAHA

Today I am trying to make four steps for this house. Some how the section with the steps for the staircase went missing?????? It was an Ebay kit, so I pay for what I get. I just wish my fingers would stay away from the sharp things. they really hurt from all the cuts. AND did you know a good coat of paint DOES cover BLOOD???????

• Like 1

Ouch, Lawanda! And Holly, I'm assuming you dont notice it after a mile because by then you're noticing other unpleasant smells?

I just woke up! I slept poorly all week and had a headache so I took some Tylenol pm and hit the sack. But I'm getting ready to go to our monthly Downsizers meeting. We meet in a lovely home with the garage converted into a work area for all of us to bring mini projects. After that I'll head to Ft. Worth to pick up my new rehab project (never mind that it will be dh number 7--ahem--or that I haven't really even started the other Craigslist rehab yet).

...I'm assuming you dont notice it after a mile because by then you're noticing other unpleasant smells?...

After a few miles the sody starts excreting lactate and other pungent substances through the sweat pores that compete quite successfully with sulfur.

After a few miles the sody starts excreting lactate and other pungent substances through the sweat pores that compete quite successfully with sulfur.

So you're saying that it's a good thing you look really cute in those shorts or no one would come within a mile of any of you? LOL!!!! Ah, but that kind of sweat is honest, hard work and it purifies the body of toxins in the best way imaginable. Next to thinking, I miss walking the most. I used to walk about five miles a day and with long strides that made my legs feel so good. If it's possible for muscles to remember movement longingly, mine do. I used to do my best thinking when I was walking.

Today I'm not doing much of anything. I've been up since around one sick as a dog. Changes in my thyroid meds aren't being kind to me at all. My whole metabolism is off whack from my body temperature to my blood pressure and even my digestion. It's familiar enough as my TSH swinging back into Grave's territory; something I'd like to have avoided but the only way for doctors to really believe that it happens is for them to see it. Therefore when the new dr said to increase the dose, I played along altho I told her that it was going to be a rough ride for me. She'll see in two weeks and then we'll play the game of adjusting it back to where I had it in the first place. <sigh> It's not my first time at this rodeo but every time I go thru it I hope it's the last.

I was going to organize swimming lessons for the baby lizards today but there's no rain in the forecast and the humidity is slowly creeping back into comfortable ranges so I'll let the little ones go back to rock climbing and wall walking lessons instead. Maybe later on I'll dig thru my stash and find some teeny life preservers from the houseboat that they can use. Hmmmmm. Now that I think about it, I have an extra travel trailer kit that could be bashed into a perfectly dandy little ark for them.

• Like 3

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each payday until we have a respectable walk way, and possibly, a hand-laid driveway. I also started to put down pesticide around the ant mounds in the yard. It looks like most of them depopulated after I mowed the yard last week (possibly from all the rain we're getting every day), but I'm getting rid of all of them before my kids get into them.

Today I unpacked boxes and organized everything. We're have 4 boxes left to unpack. If we had a respectable grill and less rain, we would be ready for our first backyard party and barbeque.

• Like 10

<blowing whistle> Okay baby lizards, line up for swimming lessons! It’s going to rain again tonight and I don’t have time to build an ark for you and there aren’t enough little life preservers to go around so you’ll just have to learn how to swim. I called the Red Cross but apparently they don’t offer swimming lessons to lizards (and for some reason they thought it strange that I would ask. Oh well. Maybe being on the “watch list” is a good thing.) Anyway, it falls to me to teach you guys how to swim and we’ll start by……….what? Do I know how to swim? Um, that’s not the point here. I’m sure I can still teach you so let’s get started.

Whiptails, you line up on the right and Spiky lizards go to the left. Oh, stop with the posturing already. <rapping ruler on the side of the patio chair> Seriously, I mean it! If one more lizard starts doing pushups and posturing, I’m gonna get that sooper soaker and you’ll all get drenched before you get into the pool. What do you mean we don’t have a pool? We have the fire pit with about six inches of water in it and that’ll do nicely so line up. Late spring clutchings to the front and you smaller, early summer hatchlings to the rear. We’re gonna make a little wading pool for you guys in one of the planters so don’t be jumping in until we’re ready for you.

Hey! You two whiptails in the back of the line, stop whipping your tails around like that! Yes, I know that they’re supposed to do that but only if you’re in danger. That’s when you swing your tail around to attract the predator’s attention and when it jumps on you, your tail comes off and you can run away. But that’s ONLY if you’re attacked by a predator. Yes, it’s true that your tail will grow back but it won’t grow back quickly or look the same so unless you want to go thru life with the nickname “Stumpy”, knock it off with the tails.

<sigh> Are you going to take this seriously or not? I know you’d all rather be climbing the back wall and soaking up the sunshine, but this is important. Okay, so the first thing you need to learn how to do is to……..Yes? Well of course we’ll be getting into the water. I know your feet don’t like it but when it rains another six inches tonight you’ll be in water anyway so you might as well get used to it now. Now, the first thing is to……..<blowing whistle again> Alright, you two in the back again! What are your names? Okay Kevin and Margo, that’ll be quite enough of your clowning around. You get that little Spike down from the yucca plant right now. He may be smaller than you but that’s no reason to be tossing him around like that.

Are we ready to try our first technique? Good. Now I want you all to remember to keep your snout up out of the water and paddle with all four feet just like a dog. Now who wants to be first in the water? <watching the baby Spike go flying thru the air> Kevin!!! Margo!!!! I told you to quit throwing him around like that!!! Now you can just dive in there and get him. You’d better hurry up because I think he forgot everything I said and he’s just sitting there on the bottom. No I’m not sticking my hand in there. You tossed him in, you get him out. <giving a little boot in the tail to Kevin> Get moving Mister. And Margo, you can dry him off with this little towel.

Well obviously we’re not quite ready for swimming lessons yet. Let’s work a little more with climbing the wall so you can get above the water. Whiptails, you take the garden wall at the back of the yard, and Spikes, you come with me up to the patio where you can climb on the stucco. Now, when I blow my whistle, everybody climb as far up as you can. Ready? Go!!! <tweeeeeeeeeeet> <watching baby lizards tumbling all over themselves and falling off the walls> <heavy sigh> Well apparently your little claws aren’t quite hard enough yet to hold on very well. I guess we’ll have to go with Plan C. <digging in my stash for a box of cocktail umbrellas> Here Kevin, pass these out and make sure everyone gets one. No, don’t hold them over your heads or else you’ll blow away into the next county. Turn them upside down, climb inside and pretend it’s a boat. How do you paddle it? You have a tail, figure it out. I’m taking one of these umbrellas and going inside to find some rum.

• Like 9

We are leaving after breakfast to head out for S FL and DH's mom's 90th birthday bash this weekend, making a quick business stop in Tallahassee and then heading on down and afterwards taking The Kid back home on our way back.

Deb, I think the little buggers are hardwired to stay out of the rain and deep puddles, and if they drown it's Nature's form of contraception.

Holly, Have a wonderful time and Happy Birthday to your DH's mom. My Grandma is going to be 91 this year, unbelievable!

Got all my furniture moved and picked a color for the dining/office/pantry/entryway room. I shall try to get some pics of the room once I get it painted and I've finished decorating. It's humid, humid, humid here today. Makes you feel like you need to get a scuba tank to get the mail. It's supposed to rain/thunderstorm for most of the day. Maybe the fronts moving through will clean out some of the cobwebs in my brain, this weather makes me so sluggish and grumpy.

Deb, your lizards seem to be a little unruly...perhaps rum and watching their antics from the ac indoors is just the ticket for today :bigwink:

Drove a friend to Sedalia, a town 30 miles away, for an eye appointment yesterday. Got caught in a passing storm that produced 60 mph winds and half-inch hail. Had to pull off the highway to wait it out; hardly any visibility and trouble keeping the car from blowing into the next lane. This is the same friend who was with me when we were surprised by a spring ice/snow storm a few years ago and had to spend the night at a motel in Sedalia. I think I'll stop traveling with her. :D

• Like 2

My mind has been elsewhere with some health stuff that I am not ready to talk about. So I have been diving in to work stuff around the house. This woman in my area is moving to Florida. She is selling most of her stuff. I scored big for cheap. I bought a bowed glass curio cabinet for $45. There are two end tables, braided rugs. a nice desk to put here in the dining room and a ball footed dresser. It is small. Good for something. I have much to store downstairs so I can sort. Then start moving stuff around. I wont over do it but it is keeping my mind occupied. I have to buy lots of plastic totes. It is going to be a busy summer for me here.

Otherwise, it is raining and muggy. I pulled pork chops out for dinner.

• Like 1

Wow, KathieB... glad you both made it to her appointment and back safe and sound. I remember when I lived in Midland, Tx, we didn't have hail storms much but sand storms! Once I had the same thing happen to me on the highway. Saw the dust cloud heading toward me and just pulled over with everyone else to wait it out. Reminded me of that scene from Hidalgo.

Heidi, I'm thinking of you and hoping everything settles down for you.

I'm getting ready to move my daughter to another apartment in College Station at the end of the month. Oy. Nothing like lugging boxes and furniture up three flights of stairs in the middle of a Texas summer. It's kind of funny/ironic... here I thought I was all done moving for the most part, and then the kiddo starts hopping from place to place. Ah well. I'm just happy she's enjoying life and going to college (and not having a baby like I was at her age!).

• Like 3

Kathie B I am in Warrensburg today LOL.... have to go to the base for a Air Force retirement ceremony today (7/15). Friend of my spouse is retiring. Staying at our house with the kids and grandkids. Sure miss my BIG house. Lots of room for houses and little things. AND the roof doesn't LEAK!!! Thankfully the rain had passed through by the time we arrived yesterday.

KathieB did you scope out the "old" town? Antique row? I found a few things there my last trip for the barn. Love the Maple Leaf!

We didn't get into the town center this time, but I do enjoy crawling antique row. :)

• Like 1

<blowing whistle> Okay baby ....., line up for ...... I’m sure I can still teach you so let’s get started. ....

..... Oh, stop with the posturing already. <rapping ruler on the side of the patio chair> Seriously, I mean it! ....

Hey! You two whiptails in the back of the line, stop whipping your tails around like that! .....

<sigh> Are you going to take this seriously or not? I know you’d all rather be .....

Are we ready to try our first technique? Good. Now I want you all to remember to .....

Um-m-m-m .... Deb, could you come over to my house with your whistle and your enthusiastic training schedule - pul-e-e-e-e-ease, pretty please ------ pretty, pretty please ?????

I'm drowning in my own inertia. I have too many projects going on and no energy or enthusiasm left. I need a coach - just like those little lizards.

I'll set a place for you at the table, okay?

• Like 2

My mind has been elsewhere with some health stuff that I am not ready to talk about. So I have been diving in to work stuff around the house. ...

Hugs - my friend - many of them .... Know whereof you are speaking. Don't forget to take a deep breath now and then, and stop and check in here with your GL family. We love you and miss you when you aren't around.

• Like 2

Selkie, I know you have been keeping tabs so you have an idea what is going on. Very scary but too early to lose my mind cause it could be nothing. Thank you. I got the pea soup done and I grilled half chickens for dinner. I am going to soak and then watch some Life below zero on Hulu plus.

• Like 2

Home again, home again, jiggity-jig :) What a whirlwind trip! Drove 3,233 miles round trip and had a great time. The whole family was there, four generations, and my DH's sister and 2 of her 5 kids, and one grandson. Took tons of pictures and enjoyed every minute of it. Mother thoroughly enjoyed the trip and loved seeing everyone again. I was glad to see her connecting with my 15-year-old grandson, who, for the most part, would rather have the adults stay out of his life. The two of them hit it off real well, and even swapped cell phone numbers.

Good to be home - but now there is serious work to get done, besides one dollhouse to finish before the end of August!

• Like 1

Yep Heidi, what they said. We luvs you.

Selkie, at first I thought you were going to ask me to come blow my whistle and get your grandkids moving. <chuckling> That's a teacher instinct that apparently is alive and well in the back of my brain. LOL!!!! But I wouldn't blow a whistle at you. I'd rather sit down and help you map out a plan and then lend whatever hand I could to the tasks. (and you wouldn't have to feed me but on the other hand, I once traveled 600 miles round trip to paint a friend's house for her because she said she'd bake cookies for me so I will work for food. hehehehehehe) Keep going slowly but surely dear lady and you'll get there. A journey of ten thousand miles is accomplished one step at a time.

Holly, the natural selection of the baby lizards is about a 3:1 ratio of making it to adulthood so most of these little guys don't stand a chance even if it doesn't rain. However, imaginary swimming lessons entertained me while I was stuck in bed with nothing to do yesterday. LOL!!! It would be kind of fun if they'd just cooperate. However, I saw Spike out on the patio last night chasing a grasshopper. <cackle> That bug was about twice his size but he's The Little Lizard That Could and I'm sure he was chanting, "I think I can, I think I can" while he stalked that big ole bug. It got pretty funny every time the grasshopper jumped and Spike would jump back and run away, then come back and start all over again. After awhile I was starting to think that the grasshopper was just messing with him.

Today has been an unpleasant one and a prime example of why I have a prescription for valium. In fact, today has been a day for taking two because they're small. <sigh> Oh well. Maybe tomorrow will be better. <brightening up> They're coming to trim the mesquite tree and re-seal all the windows which means that there's a good chance the hottie who came to fix my sprinklers will be here. :whistle: Normally I don't say these things but oh my goodness, that young man is the finest piece of eye candy I've seen in a long time. He's also very sweet and polite to an old lady and I think he knows that I was admiring the view and was amused by it. <chuckling> Hey, even an old lady can appreciate something as fine as an Adonis in the flesh. Seriously, that kid is cut like a fine piece of marble. :flex: <fanning myself> Yep, that's definitely something to look forward to.

CJ, I don't know how you do all the things you do. I get tired just thinking about all the whirlwind things in your life. And the way you take care of your mom is one of the sweetest things I've heard of in a long time. All these road trips with her seem to make her very happy and you're a darling to not only do it, but to do it with so much joy and graciousness. I just wanted you to know that I think you're a good person and a great daughter.

• Like 3