What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

ick on the spiders. making me think twice about moving to Florida. wally world usually has liguis smoke. here in the bootheel I get it at the little store Town and Country.

I LOVE lizzards!!!

Started another house to gift. One of my former coworkers was in the office when I delivered the other one, he wanted one for his granddaughter. Same house, different colors. This one is being a bear...... some of the sheets were not cut very well. Already have a blister on my finger. Oh well, back to the cutting boards.

I should be outside either weeding or planting, but I'm managed to spend a good bit of the day at this computer, working on an application for the Genealogy Road Show, which is going to focus on New Orleans on one of the upcoming fall shows. We think we've pretty much proven that L's gggfather was a lieutenant governor of Mississippi in the 1870s. The problem is that his ggfather appears to have two families -- a white wife and two daughters who lived first in Ms and then in NOLA and an African American liaison in NOLA with whom he had a son, L's gfather. One of the cousins who has researched the Bennetts doesn't agree that there is a connection. We'd like to have it proved or disproved conclusively. Hopefully our application will be selected and the research geniuses can solve the mystery.

I just printed out the application and passed it along to Lloyd for proofreading and comments. It's due the end of this month, but I don't want to leave it to the last minute.

• Like 2

We got our pool filled yesterday :) Just in time for the hot weather!

Really annoyed about my sunflowers. A chipmunk or squirrel dug up the seeds and ate them, leaving only the shells. There's one that wasn't dug up, but it hasn't started growing yet so I think it may be a dud :( What a shame...

My fairy garden stuff came in the mail!!! A red bridge, two fairies, a gazing ball, and an adorable old-fashioned green bicycle. Going to buy some mulch sometime this week and get it started. I'm doing the garden outside, with mulch and stones and a few flowers. Since the houses are pretty costly, I'll be building one myself! There's also going to be a dry stream made out of pebbles. I'm going to buy some more fairy garden minis when I have a little more extra money to spend.

Really annoyed about my sunflowers. A chipmunk or squirrel dug up the seeds and ate them, leaving only the shells. There's one that wasn't dug up, but it hasn't started growing yet so I think it may be a dud :( What a shame...

We've had birds and chipmunks wreck our sunflowers too. Finally we solved it by installing netting (the cheapo ballerina kind from the fabric store) over the seeds until they were germinated and found we needed to leave it until they were at least a couple inches tall. If we uncovered too quickly, they would still dig them up thinking there was something there that really wasn't anymore. They weren't too bright.

Well, it looks like it's time for me to start deciding on my "grandma" name. My mom already has her great-grandma name picked out.

Are you just hinting or telling us the news?

• Like 1

Are you just hinting or telling us the news?

I was wondering the same thing!

I was able to get our old table set moved to its new home today. It is so nice to be able to walk faster through the kitchen. Tomorrow is another small furniture move to prepare for painting the front room. Thank goodness for ac!

Jeremy, so glad things worked out. About those spiders...I'd move ! I hate spiders !

Deb, I love your lizard stories.

Tracy, Congratulations !

Kat, your in my prayers.

I am doing some serious decluttering throughout the house. I am starting at the door to each room. Breaking the room into spaces

4' x 4', decluttering, wiping walls down, cleaning the furniture, and vacuuming the carpet. I get so overwhelmed in certain areas. The corner by the basement back door is tool drop off central. It's a total mess, can't even see the floor. I may just load it all up and carry it out to the shed and drop it all on the floor at the door. That will teach them, NOT! lol. I hate having a yard sale, but I'm coming up with a lot to get rid of and need the $$, so I'll probably have one this month.

• Like 2

Kelly, Thanks for the great idea to "declutter"(4x4) that might be a start. Both my husband and i have been sick,( i think we keep giving it back and forth)and

I have quite a mess with all my craft projects plus all of my mini projects........it gets depressing. :bear: Well,if I do a little, then lay down again, keep doing

that maybe, just maybe something will get done.....

Kathie, tell Lloyd that pineapple in that bbq sauce would be good, especially on chicken. A little tweaking to the seasoning would make it just right. That's the great thing about it.......it's a foundation recipe that you can alter any old way and never make it the same way twice. Your ribs dinner sounds soooooooooooooo good that I added ribs to the grocery list. I've still got about a pint of sauce in the fridge (it'll keep forever in a sealed bowl or jar) and ribs would make Bruce happy. Or I might try Lloyd's suggestion about adding pineapple (and perhaps just a teeny pinch of ginger) and make some chicken breasts.

Jeremy, I'm SO glad to hear that things are working out for you. Keep hanging in there. And I have to give you kudos for your sentiment about how it's better to have a husband at home puttering with his creative hobbies than hanging out at the bar. Bruce used to drink a lot and spent time at the bar to avoid his wife before me............now he has his own wood shop in the garage and a studio for his own military and gaming miniatures in the house. He's building cigar box guitars, stomp boxes, and amplifiers these days but I really don't care what he makes as long as it makes him happy at home. We even share our power tools with each other and if that's not love, I don't know what is. <chuckling> It's not like I'd let just anyone use my Trio ya know. hehehehehehe But the point is that you're there and IMO, that counts for a lot. You guys have been thru so much in the past few months that it's no wonder everything feels out of place. I'm sending positive thoughts that you and your wife will both feel a sense of equilibrium returning soon.

<doing a double take at the spider picture> I swear by all that's holy, if I ever saw a spider that big, I'd grab my .38 and unload on it. Then I'd reload and do it again! OMG, that is one seriously scary spider!!!! I've heard stories about the camel spiders in Kuwait (Bruce actually did use his side arm to kill one) which has convinced me never to go around camels so I'm adding bananas to the list. No tallyman for me! Daylight come and me wanna go home so fast that I'd be just a flash of light!

Tracy, I'm so happy for you about becoming a gramma-lady! Congratulations!! The selection of Grandma names is an important one too. What are your choices so far?

The doctor's office called yesterday with my test results but they won't tell me the one I wanted to know about the most....only my thyroid labs. The nurse said the dr will go over the rest of the results when I see her again in two weeks. The one that I was hoping to find out about is a test for a disease called acromagaly. It's caused by brain tumors in the pituitary gland and could be the reason I keep growing new bone over the top of the old ones. (My collarbones are literally almost two inches higher than they used to be and that's the tip of the iceberg) It causes a lot of other issues as well and the list is almost identical to my own laundry list of diagnosed illnesses. So on one hand, I'd be almost thrilled to find out I have a brain tumor because it would almost certainly be benign and most often can be surgically removed and then treated with radiation or meds to prevent more from growing. Obviously, on the other hand there's a major freak-out factor any time you hear the words "brain tumor" especially if it's your brain and the idea of brain surgery is daunting but if it could slow down or halt the progression of the things that are stealing away my quality of life (as well as years from my life expectancy) then it's going to be good news. So you can see why I'm a little tripped out. I wasn't going to say anything until I knew for sure but two weeks is a long time to wait without a little help from my friends.

• Like 5

I am still in Albuquerque. Last night I managed to get to Hobby Lobby for a very rushed shopping just before closing. That store annoys me so much. They aren't open on Sunday, they close early........grrrrrr I had time to pick up a lot of paint and that was about all.

We are about ready to get out of the city it was nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live here! I am such a country bumpkin!!!

• Like 1

we are nannie and Papaw....our Pixie Had 7 living grandmas and this one had to be different and they wouldnt let them call me nutti... :dunno:

Deb we is here for you!!

did the vertigo thing all day yesterday...so today Im taking it slow and doing stuff with the grans.... :freaked:

Gail, I use the 4'x4 ' plan and the 15 minutes I can get anything done. LOL. Between work, kids, school, my mom, baseball, and life my house gets outta control. The boys are notorious for dropping their fishing gear, hunting gear, bike parts, and mechanic tools at the back corner. It's a total mess. My oldest is in the vocational school for mechanics. He has a 12 x 14 shed, he sorta took over, it has his 4 wheeler and his big mowers, and his tools and tool boxes in it. But it never fails stuff always ends up in the house. My oldest is working about 10 hours a day and LOVES it, my youngest works a few days a week at the same shop his brother works at, and he loves it too. So it really leaves me decluttering. I make it as easy as possible on myself. So they don't have much time to help. I don't mind, most of the time. But it makes it easier for me to do it in small increments. I keep 5 boxes at all times. Labeled, keep, sell, hubby, and each of the boys names. Every couple days they check their box, and put their stuff away or add it to my sell boxes. They also put stickers with how much they want to sell it for,lol.

Kellee

• Like 4

Thanks everyone! Deb, my kids have 3 grandmothers: Grandma, Grammy, and Me-me. So those are out. Also no granny or Memaw. I called both of my grandmothers Nanny, so maybe that. If anyone has any cool ideas, throw them out! I don't really feel old enough to be on the same par as my nanny, so its hard to really think and grasp. Mama picked out GG a couple years ago, so she's ready!

Kelly, those sound like some great decluttering ideas, if I ever get motivated to start, I may use some!

Deb, my thoughts are with you, hope you get some news soon so they can start moving forward.

Nutti, hope you are feeling better today!

I've been Grammy, Mimi, Gammy, Gam-gam, Gram, auntie-gram, and Gramma. Every child has had their own method of what to call me. I never picked out anything. They all have ended up (after they could speak well) reverting to Grammy and Gram.

• Like 2

My boys' grandmothers are MawMaw and Gran. I have no idea what my some day far off grands will call me-but I sure envy you, Tracy! When they were little (And still,sometimes...)my now grown boys called my ex father-in-law 'Big PawPaw' and my late father was 'Little PawPaw'. Both men were 6' with almost identical medium size builds,so we never did understand where they came up with that distinction! We did drive 'up' (north of us) to Big PawPaw's, so we thought maybe that had something to do with it-it was just something they came up with themselves,and was kinda cool,as we instantly knew who they were talking about. I'm betting your new grandchild will eventually give you their own version of Grandma,whichever you choose,Tracy!:) And what fun it will be the first time you hear them say it! :)

I am so glad tomorrow is Friday. I don't want to sound lazy,but I sure look forward to sleeping in Saturday morning and being a total bum this weekend!:)

Roxy,I would love to be there with you on your Albuquerque trip! And picking out craft paints is one of my favorite shopping 'chores'! :D

• Like 3

When all of my friends started becoming grandparents I apparently must have rubbed it in a little bit much with the guy I was dating at the time. One day I just sort of randomly pondered, "If all my friends are grandparents, what does that make me?" He replied, "Old."

<cackle> I probably had it comin'.

• Like 3