What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Hooray !!!! My carpenter FINALLY showed up last night. We got all the details drawn up and he is supposed to give me the quote and dates this week. Fingers crossed it will be soon. Really want to get this done before my surgery. He'll also be building some shelves in my studio so that should help me with getting things more accessible for the old gal.

Now I'm off to think about the fun stuff like paint colors and so on.

• Like 2

Congrats on your fourth anniversary, Muriel!

Helen, I'm glad things are turning around for you in so many ways.

My eldest son "graduated" from Pre-K today. Everyone in his class wore little blue mortar caps and gowns.

My youngest son unlocked the door to my workshop and reeked havoc a couple of days ago. The new foundation with new ground floor joists for the MacKenzie House was propped up against a work table covered with tools and house parts. Liam tried to climb the joists like a ladder a broke most of them. It took nearly a month to cut and assemble them. Now I'll have to start all over again. The lack of a workshop at the new house will leave the houses even more vulnerable and I won't have a chance to work on them at all. It looks like I won't be doing any mini work for at least a few more years.

We spent 2 hours driving through rain and crazy Boston traffic to get to the doctor today. Then we spent 2 & 1/2 hours sitting around waiting to see the doctor. Half an hour later we were outside waiting for valet parking to bring our car. Regular hospital parking costs almost as much as the valet parking, so the extra $5 charge is worth it, only today things were crazy and we waited another 30 minutes till they brought the car around. Next came another 2 hour drive in rain and heavy traffic to get home.

I'm going to go soak in a hot tub, it's been a cold, weary, wet day.

Today there was a Gulf Coast Energy Forum being held in Mobile, so DH got us tickets and we went. I was expecting to hear all the great plans our coastal power companies are making for renewable non-fossil-fueled sources of energy production. What I heard was justification of the same old same old and some unecessary and gratuitous politicizing. Oh, well, lunch was both free and tasty...

Jeremy, I wanted to go throw myself on the floor and cry!

• Like 1

I cleaned a rental trailer for my landlord today and am too tired out to think straight! Tomorrow I will be doing some more cleaning on the trailer,but first I will be cleaning my boss lady's house,as she is coming home Saturday.

She went into the hospital the Friday before Easter (The same Friday there was a fatal car crash in my front yard) and had abdominal surgery-for adhesions and gallbladder removal-Easter Sunday. From there she's been in a nursing home for several weeks rehab.

So,I have been out of work this whole time. Granted,I got a whole lot of yard work done,and played around with my Orchid/beach cottage rehab some and I just started back on my Ashley/Cool Breeze,but I was about to get really nervous about no paycheck. I live with my older son,so I didn't have to worry about food and shelter,but I'm so glad I'll be getting a paycheck again soon! I just won't have any extra time to spend it for awhile!;)

• Like 1

...Sorry,I guess this should have been a pm to one of them...I

Yes please. Next time you have a question like that, please PM a moderator rather than bringing it up in the group. Your discussion is with the mods, not the entire forum. If you like, you can use the edit feature at the bottom of your post to change your text or remove it.

I'm sitting in the middle of the bed with my circa 1972 plant encyclopedia greenhouse that came today! I've been searching for one for years ever since mine was lost in a move and this is like sitting down to talk about plants with an old friend. I learned most of what I know about houseplants from this thing and it's in great shape too. It's also the entire 720 card set so I'm in heaven!!!!

• Like 2

I am very curious of this book of which you speak Deb. Can you post a picture of it or a link? Is it one of those book that you got 12 cards every month?

I would gladly share my 4 foot of gardening books with you. And bird books. When we were purging the house, I had them in the 'give away' box with the other 1500 books, but I took them back out. I just couldn't part with any of them.

• Like 1

Ah, you remember them! Yes, it's the cool greenhouse box with the cards that were sort of a "book of the month" club......every month you got a set of different cards to go into the encyclopedia. I got my first one at a garage sale and it was lost in a move. I loved that thing because I've always been a plant freak. I think at the time I got the first one, I had 35 house plants in a three room apartment and was growing everything from full sized boston ferns and rubber trees to delicate sensitive plants and one asparagus fern that took over the entire bathroom. I love my plants and I love learning about them. I've been very happy rediscovering gardening because for some reason, either the strokes didn't effect that part of my brain or I've been able to reroute the circuits and remember more than I thought I would. Anyway, I found the greenhouse on Etsy and was surprised to see at least three or four sellers with them. Here's another one that looks to be in really good condition: https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/180923333/complete-set-the-greenhouse-collection?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=plant+greenhouse+cards&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

There were two other books that I swore by when it came to my little green babies. One is titled, "Grow With Your Plants" and it's full of helpful information. Again, it was from the 70s when houseplants saw a surge in popularity. I think I still have that one in my bookcase. There was a third book that was the Zodiac of plants that assigned specific plants to zodiac signs based on their personality and characteristics. I can't remember the name of it and don't have it anymore but in between the zodiac stuff it had some great information. That's where I learned how to do air layering propagation.

• Like 1

I don't know the greenhouse set, but I have a purple flowered binder and it's full of flash cards. The pack of the month type thing. I am far to lazy to go upstairs and photo it and I can't find one online. I have also had plants forever. I have a little tree that is probably about 30. A ficus. When we got our shop, I killed all my plants and I am finally starting to get some again now.

I know which ones you're talking about. The first "starter" set was included in the back of the greenhouse box I got today so whoever owned it had at least considered that set too. I'm happy coz it's like an extra added bonus. My hands have been hurting all the way up to my collarbones tonight, making sleep a non-event so I've been happily going thru the cards and remembering some of my favorite leafy friends. One of the great things about living here is that I can leave my houseplants out on the patio year 'round so I'm having a ball replacing some of my favorites.

It's a gorgeous morning here at five am. It's only 75 and there's a slight breeze so it's oh so refreshingly comfortable and will stay that way until around 9 or so. I'm going to go water my plants and spray some weeds and do a couple of other outdoor chores while I watch the sun rise. So Goooooooooooood Morning Forum!!!! I hope everyone's day gets off to a great start and just keeps getting better!

You always were a night owl, Sister Dear! I hope the warmth soothes the aching hands.

These days I can only sleep for a couple hours at a time so I don't really have nights and days.....just times when I'm awake and times when I'm not. Bruce says that occasionally it's hard to tell the difference. LOL!!! We watched a cute animated movie on Netflix this weekend called "Free Birds" and there's a little girl in it who is super hyper, bouncing off the walls and talking non-stop and then she abruptly chirps, "Tired now" and goes *thunk* as she falls over. Bruce cracked up and said, "That's you!!" hehehehehe He's right. It is.

There may be some relief for the hands before long. I have an appointment with a doctor (GP) here next week and while she can't do the cortisone shots herself, she'll at least get me to someone who can. It makes me laugh when doctors act like I'm there for the drugs because of all my pain and then I tell them to keep that oxy stuff far away from me and give me the good stuff......yep, I want cortisone, not codeine. Then give me a bottle of dehydrated pig thyroid and I'll just be on my way. <chuckling> It's funny how the definition of "good drugs" changes as we get older.

• Like 1

...It's funny how the definition of "good drugs" changes as we get older.

As we mature we discover that preserving our health and bodies is far more important than frying our brains.

As we mature we discover that preserving our health and bodies is far more important than frying our brains.

These days I can get the same effect just from standing up that I used to pay good money for in college. :hippi: hehehehehehe

I'm enjoying the morning on the patio after too much rushing around at 6am. Bruce was getting ready to leave for work when he noticed that we had a flat tire. He'd run over something in the bumper to bumper traffic yesterday evening and we ended up with *5* nails in the tire. So he popped the donut on it and off he went to Big O for a new tire. That's a little too much excitement for that time of day but I have to admire my husband's extreme talent when it comes to cussing. Many little birdies fell out of the sky as he turned the air blue. :lol:

• Like 3

I am supposed to be out weeding the front beds (shhhhh) but instead I was playing indoor sports. I forgot to buy a sawsall today, so I will have to run out in the morning. I have another bush I want to take out and the chainsaw is not suitable for it.

I have been doing just about nothing at all today. After a vacation and then a week's worth of playing catch up I was too tired to do much today. I am going out to dinner later to a convention with about 50 dentists. Now if that doesn't stress me out I don't know what will! :p Kidding of course about the stress part.

At least I don't have to think about what to cook! Have a nice weekend everyone!

• Like 2

Gee, Deb, I'll bet all the feral cats and snakes in your neighborhood gained a couple of pounds apiece!

We have spent a very quiet day at home today, with a trip to the grocery store to stock up for next week; this summer we will have DS#3, aka The Kid, with us until late July. The weather turned cloudy but still el stinko hot & humid, and I didn't feel like dripping sweat on Washington's windows finishing painting them; I can do that tomorrow AM whilst DH goes to a coin show.

I just read about the blowup regarding the Spring Fling, and that some members were banned today. Makes me feel sick :ill: I love this community and hate to see any problems arise. :(

• Like 2

Gooooooooooooooood morning Greenleafers!!!! It's a simply gorgeous day today made even more wonderful by the fact that I got some sleep last night. About every 6-8 weeks I have a major narcoleptic attack that takes me out for about 10 hours. (dr says it's just my body shutting down from exhaustion and I collapse) I never know when it's going to happen and have slept it off in some odd places, but last night it managed to occur when I was in bed and at bedtime so I got some much needed and much cherished sleep from 9 last night til 7 this morning. Wooooooooooohooooooooooo!! My friends, I feel like a whole new woman this morning! I'm ready to leap tall buildings and rescue kittens from trees and......and........and........okay, so reality is that my body still doesn't feel like doing any of those things, but in my mind, I'm doing it all. Even relief from mental fatigue is a blessing and I'll take it and sing happy songs to the sun with the birds this morning. It's a glorious day and I'm glad that I can share it with my friends.

What's everyone else up to this fine morning? <checking the calendar> Oh wow, it's Saturday so that means it's the weekend! Happy Saturday to everyone who just put in a five day week and is ready for some fun. Whatcha doin'?

• Like 5

Good morning, Deb! I started working on a craftsman style room box and right now it is sitting right next to me while I'm watching the glue dry. So I am doing nothing productive at all, just having coffee... hahahaha

Cheers, everyone! Hope your day will go as lazy as mine.

I have put paint on the pane & window frames; just to do the second edge of the window frames and start gluing in the rest of the panes. The bathroom windows (with their rippy glazing) are in the jig and when dry will be ready for the lower panes to get pins. Tonight we'll probably go auctioning.