What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Stacey, I'm sorry you're having such a miserable time. We love you and while we can't make the pain better, we'll do whatever we can to distract you. Sometimes that helps a little bit.

She'd need her shorts and sneakers to play to with you holly and winter mittens and scarf to play with me. :bigwink: :ohyeah:

If you come this way, you're gonna need sandals and a fan (along with a cute cabana boy to gently waft the fan for you). We came one digit short of reaching 100 yesterday and it's supposed to be hotter today. The NWS has already been issuing desert heat warnings this week. It's a little early in the year for it to be this hot, but I'm not complaining. I'm still thawing out from Colorado!

Heidi, you've sure been busy!! I'm glad you're seeing that neurologist now so you can enjoy being out in the yard this summer. Your chili sounds excellent and perfect for the last, lingering days of winter. (at least we'll hope they're the last)

I wonder if it's someone whose mailing address you asked for a while ago...

<doing my best cartoon voice> Mmmm..........could be. hehehehehehe USPS says that it'll be there either Friday or Saturday. I'm guessing Saturday since it just flew out of Phoenix this morning. Keep an eye out for the mailman because while you can carry the box under your arm, it's too big to fit in a mailbox. And it rattles. <wicked grin>

I was going to celebrate today (and the release from the stress of doing taxes) by running the leaf blower in the backyard to clean up after the mesquite tree. They don't drop leaves like regular trees........they sort of molt and the old leaves fall off when the new leaves come in. The leaves are teeny and lacy so it takes a leaf blower to get it all out of the gravel yard and since the tree appears to be all freshly green, I thought I'd "dust" my gravel. Then I remembered that the sprinkler repair people will be here tomorrow and there's a good chance that they're going to dig up part of the yard anyway so I'll just wait to dust my gravel until they've finished that.

So..............now what do I want to do with today? Maybe I'll empty the dishwasher, fill the birdfeeders, and then take the laptop out to the patio so I can chitchat with y'all while I rest. <nodding> Yep, that sounds like a great day to me.

• Like 3

Stacey, Sable, and Roxy, I hope you are all feeling better today, and Roxy, thanks for your picture of carrot raisin muffins. I didn't know there were different recipes for certain altitudes; however, I do know that high altitudes can effect certain people, so the recipe adjustments would make sense.

Stacey, I love the idea of getting away, but just a few peaceful moments to yourself may help. I hope you can treat yourself to something nice today. If not, then try to get some rest, as that often helps as well.

• Like 1

What am I up to today? I am being thankful for all of you who care so much about others no matter how challenging your day is. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your kind words to each other are so nice to read.

To everyone with health challenges, I am so sorry. Hopefully you will all have a wonderful afternoon. I most sincerely thank each and every one of you for making my day better.

• Like 4

Stacey, hope you are having a better day today, and that you are feeling better.

Sable and Roxy, hope y'all feel better soon too.

We are back home from our vacation. That probably will be our last family vacation for a while. The kids, especially Anslee, are just too old. She is about done with us. Oh well, maybe she'll like us again one day. We had a pretty good time, although we didn't hardly do anything, no one wanted to. We took a hike, and that's all we did in 3 days. It was still nice to be away though, and everything was beautiful.

We had laminate wood floors put in upstairs last week, tomorrow the tiling starts. Yay.

I will be so glad when my house isn't turned upside down anymore. The downstairs renovations still aren't done either, that guy got in over his head and bailed.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best :) I did run away from home for a few hours, went down to the creek and watched the birds and the cutest gray squirrel. It was nice to get out and enjoy some sunshine and not have to deal with anyone. And even though we aren't close enough to visit in person, I really enjoy hanging out with all of you here.I am glad to be part of such a wonderful group of people.:)

• Like 4

Today we had to go over to Summerdale to the accountant who does our taxes, to pick up the forms. Afterwards, since we were there, we hit our favorite thrift store and I found a gorgeous 100% silk knit sleeveless top on the half-price rack and a shoe organizer to hang on my closet wall, freeing up the wire racks I have been using to go out to the workshop! :happy dance:

Our passports expire tomorrow and on the way home we passed one of the post offices that has a passport office, so we stopped and renewed them. We normally only use them for the second photo ID whenever we go touring in the DC area when we visit #2 son; but one of these days I still want to go back to Canada.

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best :) I did run away from home for a few hours, went down to the creek and watched the birds and the cutest gray squirrel. It was nice to get out and enjoy some sunshine and not have to deal with anyone. And even though we aren't close enough to visit in person, I really enjoy hanging out with all of you here.I am glad to be part of such a wonderful group of people. :)

Glad to see you got some peace and quiet. Nature is the best source of peace I know. A quiet spot by a creek sounds perfect. Hugs and wishes for more special moments for you.

• Like 3

My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering from aches and pains! I sure do understand, and hope that everyone is on the mend.

It sure was shorts and sneakers (or are they tennis shoes here?) here on Thursday, when the high was 75 F! Same is predicted for today (Friday). What a gorgeous day! I actually got out for the first time in a week, and treated myself to a manicure! I don't need to get out all that much for personal attention since my hairdresser comes to the house now. What a bum I am! Tomorrow, maybe Publix, and my neighbor will bring the shopping into the house from the car for me. I'm really lucky in that I am surrounded by such nice and helpful people, here at home as well as on this forum!

I'm so excited... found out that my daughter has arranged for a leave of absence so, instead of coming up the second week of June for a month (only), she'll be here on 4/20, and will stay until the beginning of August -- UNLESS, as we hope, she finds a teaching job here at UTC or Chatt State, and then she'll go home for clothes and such, until she sells her condo in FL.

• Like 2

I have a new hobby that's gradually becoming more a part of my daily routine, especially as the hot weather sets in. Lizard herding. It's a fun little game that one plays spontaneously when one of the dozens of little lizards that inhabit my yard gets it into his wee head that he's going to come inside. The lizard takes a run for it and the human uses whatever is closest at hand to shoo the lizard in the opposite direction. I play it on the patio a lot when one of them decides to sit on the loveseat beside me or I'll glance over my shoulder and one will be perched on the wall behind me. Bruce gets to play the game too because lizards want to go in the garage a lot. I'm not sure if they're trying to steal the car or if they just want to borrow the power tools. Yesterday I had one following me while I was watering the plants so I gave him a misting with the hose and he decided that he didn't want to talk to me anymore. LOL!

We have at least three or four different varieties in the yard but except for the horny toads, they're all only about four to six inches long and about as big around as a pencil with legs. I saw some young, tiny ones the other day so a new nest has hatched somewhere. They eat bugs and ants and keep the scorpions at bay so I won't complain about the lizards unless they refuse to return the drill or something. I'll just go on keeping a long dowel pin on the patio for my lizard herding stick and try to convince them they don't want inside.

• Like 2

Deb, a trick I learned from my mother-in-law when the anoles get into the house is to take a hand towel or dishtowel and scoop them up in it. By the time they realize they're trapped in this soft, sometimes fuzzy nest, you have them back outside and can open the towel over a handy shrub or a patch of soft grass to let them go. I haven't tried it on any of the snakes that come wandering in; if they're small I scoop them into an empty yogurt tub; larger ones I coax to wrap around a broom handle. Once they're outside, none of them seem to want to come back in.

I had fun this AM making up CARE packages, now that I can access all sorts of small items in my workshop!

Deb, a trick I learned from my mother-in-law when the anoles get into the house is to take a hand towel or dishtowel and scoop them up in it. By the time they realize they're trapped in this soft, sometimes fuzzy nest, you have them back outside and can open the towel over a handy shrub or a patch of soft grass to let them go.

I've got a stack of microfiber towels that I'll distribute in convenient locations by windows around the house so if one gets in I can snag it in that. (provided he doesn't see me coming first coz those little fellas are a whooooooole lot faster than I am!) Their little talons would catch just enough in the fiber to hold them until I can take it outside and put it under one of the rosemary bushes. The lizards like hanging out under them............and yesterday I saw the butt and tail of the neighbor's black cat sticking out from under one too. Since the sparrows have nests in the rosemary, it's hard to say what he was after but my boys were in the window cheering him on.

So this morning I'm sitting on the patio with my laptop watching the sprinkler repair guy fix the drip system. He's just getting started and has already broken out the shovel. <sigh> I'm so afraid that this is going to end up being a whole summer's worth of repairs and construction in the yard. He said that the leaks in the pipes are just the beginning and showed us how the main controls have water standing in the bottom by the valves. This house was empty for a year before we moved in and there had been a ruptured-pipe-flood that wasn't noticed for three whole months so chances are there's a lot of water damage underground that we can't see. I'm sooooooo glad that we don't have to pay for this!

<grinning wickedly> Don't call me a dirty old lady or anything, but I do have to comment with complete sincerity and an honest appreciation..........the guy they sent out is the kind of cute that makes young girls giggle and sigh every time he walks past.

• Like 2

Well, Deb, the "YAHOO!" you just heard loud enough to register 1.6 on the Richter Scale was me unpacking the box! And after I flung the bling I gathered every last little bit up to use in future builds, possibly in some of the *ahem* NEW ones; I can see I'll be crafting a whole lot more 1:12 furniture patterns into 1:24.

At this rate I have enough kits to build until I'm 143!

Thank you, Bruce, for the pressie for my tricycle! I might see of I can get some of the bling bits to stick to them.

• Like 1

<grinning> I can't wait to see what you do in half scale! It's going to be so much fun to watch you build and come up with new ideas. Watching you build a dollhouse is one of my favorite things. How about trying double sided tape to stick the bling on your trike? It'll go well with the chrome crowns that definitely say that you're the Queen of the Road when you ride.

• Like 1

All I can say is Thanks God it is Friday!!!! Expecting a visit from my oldest DD and Great grandson for the weekend. I know he has grown a ton, it has been about a month since we last saw him.

I, too find comfort in nature. Below me is a small creek and when things get really bad I go there and meditate on the rocks and just listen to the water flowing, brings peace to the soul. Just finding a way to sneak away without company lately is a problem LOL.

Hope you all have a peaceful weekend.

• Like 1

<grinning> I can't wait to see what you do in half scale! It's going to be so much fun to watch you build and come up with new ideas. Watching you build a dollhouse is one of my favorite things. How about trying double sided tape to stick the bling on your trike? It'll go well with the chrome crowns that definitely say that you're the Queen of the Road when you ride.

I have some really miniscule bling, including some of the $Tree nail art sparklies I'm going to stick on; they might not stay, but they'll look purty for starters!

Getting ready to wake up Lloyd. We're heading across the lake to an art show in Madisonville today. The French Quarter Festival is in full swing, but I gave up hanging out with a half million people years ago.

Yesterday we decided last minute to attend the local Lyceum performance, which was the Hot 8 Brass Band from NOLA. What fun it was! We sang and danced along to the band that refer to themselves as "second string". Kathie, a lot of our Jazz Society friends are over there for the French Quarter Festival right now!

I am going with some friends to see Wrong Window at a community theatre tonight. It is a spoof on Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, so it should be good, even thought I've never seen the Hitchcock original. I am treating one of my friends for her birthday, which was last week.

I am very impressed by people who volunteer to work in community theatre, as I have seen a lot of talent displayed by non-professionals. It's amazing that these people all have day jobs, yet they manage to do such a great job acting, directing, etc. as a side line.

• Like 2

Well, I've been working on my thesis topic like a crazy person these last few weeks, as the questionnaire for the research I'm planning on conducting has to be published next week so I can collect enough data for analysis.

Aaannnddd - I just realized (while I'm sitting here typing this) that the topic relates to dollhouses in a way. Crazy, isn't it? Anyhow, topic got approved this week, and it's about decision making, the factors that influence it and how satisfied one is with the decision afterwards. It pretty much comes down to that the more you know about s.th. the more factors one considers for the decision and it will be weighed against the same factors when it comes to being happy with that decision or not.

As far as dollhouses(and other mini-stuff of course - regret I had to choose another category though....) the longer you do this the more selective you are with what you buy (more factors) and how happy you are with what you bought.

I'm afraid minis scrambled my brain and took over my life....

:bangin:

As far as dollhouses(and other mini-stuff of course - regret I had to choose another category though....) the longer you do this the more selective you are with what you buy (more factors) and how happy you are with what you bought.

So true, Chris. When I started out, I bought anything in sight that I thought I might be able to use one day. Now, I buy hardly anything but building components/trims. It's about time I clear out my stash of those had-to-have bits that I'm pretty sure I'll never use.