What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We're not allowed guns here without jumping through many hoops, we're going shooting with a club though soon, clay pigeon shooting which is fun.

No time to spare whatsoever this week as work is demanding all my time, my minis are gathering dust while I work. Looking forward to the weekend.

Aiming wasn't my problem! but every time I breathed the muzzle moved! All my shots were centered in a vertical plane, but once I mastered holding my breath as I squeezed the trigger, all the shots went into the red. Since this was the first time I had ever even held a pistol, much less shot one, DH (whose own target had almost no red left on it) is unbearably proud of me! Louisa, we have to jump through all sorts of hoops to obtain a handgun here. This is the first place we've lived that DH is concerned enough by the breakins and meth labs and their customers to want to buy a gun for personal protection/ home defense. He prefers a semi-automatic, but I can't deal with the recoil. I did wonderfully with a double-action revolver, and that's what I have asked him for for a home-based weapon. He can get a semi-automatic for himself if he wants a carry permit, but the lady on the other side of me was shooting her personal semi-automatic pistol and it kept jamming. The other ladies in the class were shooting revolvers, and none of their targets looked any better than mine.

Other than washing dirty laundry I am babying these (*magic words*) allergies today.

• Like 1

<raising hand> 'Nother Annie Oakley here. I can outshoot Bruce and he had a sniper marksman badge from the Army which means that our home is a peaceful one. The first time we went to a range together, I settled myself with my .38 and happily put a box of shells into the target, then looked over to see Bruce grinning wildly at me. I was practicing body shots because in personal defense situations, a body shot will take them down and you can add a head shot if it's still needed. (yep, like Morgan, I've got an ex with a bad attitude and I shoot with him in mind) Anyway, Bruce leaned over and yelled in my ear, "Gimme a head shot" so I didn't miss a beat, lifted the barrel and squeezed off the other four rounds into the target's head. Bruce gave a rebel yell and whooped, "That's MY baby!" loud enough for the whole range to hear. <grinning> It still cracks me up to think of it. Your DH would have been popping just as many buttons with pride over what his baby did at the range.

Holly, I carry a snub nose, dual action .38 which is a nice size and velocity for me to handle with little recoil. I use hollow point high velocity rounds which have a bit more of a kick but that's just personal preference. However, for stopping power in home protection, don't go any lower caliber than a .32. I've had a Taurus .38 for over 20 years (and it's name is Annie) and wouldn't want anything else. We have tons of guns in the house that range from a .22 all the way up to military grade weapons but the one I always keep handy is Annie.

I'm stuck in bed today as a weather disturbance moves thru. It's not enough to write home about but enough to make my body immobile. I'm hoping that the meds will work enough later in the day to get into the studio for at least half an hour. The bright side of that is that even in bed I can still chat with y'all today and that makes it a good day no matter what else happens.

Deb

• Like 2

I'm an Annie Oakley too :) Once upon a time I had a husband who loved to scare me with his guns. That is, until he made the mistake of taking me out shooting :) Yep. I outshot him by a mile. He sold the guns after that!

Had to laugh at this, Morgan. I'm not all that interested in guns or shooting, but one of my husbands was an avid skeet shooter. I finally went with him one time and let him show me the drill -- and then outshot him. Pure beginner's luck plus not having learned any bad habits. Funny how he stopped inviting me to join him. :D

• Like 1

Deb, the instructor's gun was a .22LR, but the semi-automatic DH was shooting was a .38, and one of the other ladies there had a .38 revolver that she let me look at before we left, that I liked.

Are we playing guns?? I shoot trap (clay pigeons) and rifles and pistols. I can shoot a hole in a dime at 100 yards with one of the rifles. Bruce can hit 25 of 25 clay pigeons. I also prefer a pistol for personal carry because they never jam. We do a lot more shooting than the average shooter though and have many years of experience. I love the civil war guns. It's amazing to think that men who averaged 5'5 in height shot these guns that are 7' long (with bayonet) to fight or hunt.

• Like 1

I'm an Annie Oakley too :) Once upon a time I had a husband who loved to scare me with his guns. That is, until he made the mistake of taking me out shooting :) Yep. I outshot him by a mile. He sold the guns after that!

My Lord; not only are you women great minaturists, you are great shooters as well! You people never fail to amaze me.

I'm stuck in bed today as a weather disturbance moves thru. It's not enough to write home about but enough to make my body immobile. I'm hoping that the meds will work enough later in the day to get into the studio for at least half an hour. The bright side of that is that even in bed I can still chat with y'all today and that makes it a good day no matter what else happens.

Deb

I'm glad you were still able to communicate with us today, Deb. Just don't do any target practice from your bed, okay? - I hope you feel better and are up and about soon enough.

• Like 1

In my regular clothes closet I encountered some wire shelves that hang below regular shelves; I used them in our Havana house closets for canp, scarves, etc. They don't work with the wire shelves in the closets here (when we did our first walk through with the man who lived here the closets were tricked out with those wire systems of rods & shelves; when we repeated our pre-closing walk through after those people were gone, so was everything in the closets except for one high shelf around two sides of the closet; at least they stopped before stripping out the pantry shelving!), but as I was hanging up some of the clean clothes (a wash day today) I noticed them and the brain started working. The wire shelves are now installed in the workshop on the old bookcase I'm using for my paints & brushes, and LO! I have 30% more room for things!

• Like 3

Are we playing guns?? I shoot trap (clay pigeons) and rifles and pistols. I can shoot a hole in a dime at 100 yards with one of the rifles. Bruce can hit 25 of 25 clay pigeons. I also prefer a pistol for personal carry because they never jam. We do a lot more shooting than the average shooter though and have many years of experience. I love the civil war guns. It's amazing to think that men who averaged 5'5 in height shot these guns that are 7' long (with bayonet) to fight or hunt.

Not gonna mention that time you and your hubby were featured on American Shootist on the History Channel? (I might have the name of the show wrong, but I do remember you being on tv)

Deb, the instructor's gun was a .22LR, but the semi-automatic DH was shooting was a .38, and one of the other ladies there had a .38 revolver that she let me look at before we left, that I liked.

Check around for a gun shop with a shooting range and they'll let you try out a .38 before you buy it. I'm guessing that one would be a good fit for you. Keep in mind that the grip can be changed to be either longer or shorter to fit your hand. The main thing is that it feels balanced when you point it.

I'm glad you were still able to communicate with us today, Deb. Just don't do any target practice from your bed, okay?

hehehehehehe I promise not to go shooting at anything in the house unless it shoots at me first.

BTW, for those who haven't heard yet, Marlene Buffington of CDHM passed away today. She'd had a long and hard fight with cancer so it's bittersweet as we sorrow for her passing but yet are glad that she's not suffering anymore. I know that Tracy is busy with helping the family and other friends this afternoon so I thought I'd mention it here for those who might not know yet. This is hitting the miniature community pretty hard. If you're on FB, you'll find most people posting and remembering her there.

I have been comforting my DW. Despite the doctors warning her that another pregnancy would most likely result in the loss of the fetus and her own life, she stopped taking her birth control. She was certain she was pregnant about two weeks ago, but didn't take the pregnancy test until after she started having problems last week. It got much worse over the weekend and I finally took her to the E.R. after the pre-natal clinic told her to go. The doctors are pretty certain she is having a miscarriage. Although none of this was planned and she is only about 5 weeks along, she is still pretty upset about it. I can only imagine how bad she would have taken it if she was close to term.

• Like 1

Jeremy, I had difficulty retaining fetuses and the two I did deliver at term I spent a week or two with each one on bedrest. If another pregnancy could be life threatening, tubal ligation is a perfectly acceptable option...

• Like 1

Oh Jeremy, I'm so sorry. It's not easy to lose a baby, even at just a few weeks. I lost mine at around six weeks and over forty years later I still think about it with a pang of loss. It's good that you're comforting her because that's what she needs. You're a good husband to understand how she's feeling and be so willing to help her. It can't be easy for you either. My heart is with you both.

Deb

• Like 2

Well, the plumber left a bit ago :sad_2: and pronounced my dishwasher officially dead. :rip:

I will get another one but I need to look around at what's out there and save up some $$'s.

I've had this one since the year one so it served me well.

On the bright side, the kiddos will be learning some new skills for awhile.

Not sure how enthused they will be, nevertheless, it won't hurt them one little bit.

On the bright side, the kiddos will be learning some new skills for awhile.

Not sure how enthused they will be, nevertheless, it won't hurt them one little bit.

My mother told me that it was good for my hands, but she lied about a lot of other things too. hehehehehehehe It definitely won't hurt the kidlets to do the dishes for awhile and with school vacation coming up, they could make it a full time job.

After a couple of really rough days, I'm back on my feet again albeit a bit gingerly. However, I was able to sit up to do my morning meditation and while sitting upright for half an hour doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, it's one of those fairly big steps for me. I can't do a lotus position anymore, but I was able to sit cross-legged on the bed with pillows behind me to support my back for the full 30 minutes without the muscles in my sides giving out and slumping me over. Yay!!!!! :cheer: So far today, no pain meds and that's a double Yay!! :cheer::cheer: I'm resting a bit now and then I'll make my way back downstairs to thaw out something to make for dinner. Yeppers, I'm feeling confident enough today to attempt a simple dinner tonight....perhaps a pork roast that I can just shove in the oven with baked sweet potatoes and make a tossed salad to round out the meal. :chef:

Deb (happy that it's one of my better days)

• Like 4

I am finally feeling better myself,after a week with a cold,so here's to you,too,Deb,and to anyone else having a better day after several rough ones! :beer: Of course I am wishing good days for all of the rest you,too! :)

Selkie,I am so sorry for the demise of your dishwasher-I've never had one myself,since leaving my parents' home. I had hoped there'd be one in this rental trailer,after living 27 years in my previous home without one-no such luck,darn it!! But,I have survived-your children will probably learn to enjoy it. I zone out while doing the dishes and use the time to listen to music or just daydream about dollhouses!:)

Jeremy my heart goes out to you and your wife.

Deb, glad you are feeling better.

I was out of work last week because of pneumonia and this week returning to work has whipped me, I'm so glad it is Friday, don't know if I could have made another day this week LOL. Pollen is covering everything here, my pretty red car is now green. It has turned to summer here and trying not to cut on the ac yet, thankfully with a industrial size fan in the bedroom we can still cool down enough to sleep.

DH and I used to target practice and I got pretty good, but now that we have neighbors everywhere, we don't practice cause we are surrounded and don't want a stray bullet to find the wrong target.

Deana, DH has a 38/40 gun that was made in the 1800's, it has an octagon barrel and is heavy. I figure if I can't shoot anyone I can beat them with it. hahaha Actually DH use to hunt a lot so we have a small arsenal.

Deb, so glad you were able to sit up. Healthy people have no idea how seriously hard it is to sit up and the toll it takes to do so when you are ill or weak. I had a dimwit nurse who decided I was not sitting up enough and put me in a chair and left me (no where near a help button) I was in so much agony when she came back 2 hours later (after saying she would be back in 30 minutes) that I had to be sedated.

• Like 1