What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

oooh, yeah! Lovecraft is the only writer who could REALLY scare me when I was a teen!

Kellan is out of school today (traditionally 'State Fair' day...go figure!) and I'm off since I work tomorrow. He hand I will veg abit, then tackle chores. The HS marching band plays tonight for a football game then he has a band competition out of town tomorrow. Jim and I are going to the Fair tonight to load up on fried grease and see the exhibits. Sunday there's a mini club meeting downtown at the library, so I'm going to try to remember the camera and take a few photos of the big dollhouse there now that it's been 'dressed' for Fall/Halloween.

It's a squuzzy day and DH is having fun watching the stockmarket's gyrations (death throes?) on CNBC.

He better stop that or he is going to be joining me in my Of Mice and Men dreams. That is okay..I need the company! LOL

I just found a great picture of the Carl Larsson wallpaper I have been "chasing" so I made a wallpaper from that and have papered the kids and Karin's room with that and will add to border part tomorrow, I also heard from my MIL that the plywood sheet I ordered is almost here :) yay! as in it is getting delivered sometime early next week (this will come in handy when the haunted house breaks free from its box)

Hugs

...and what have I really done today? Diddly! I'm such a slug! A day off, and all I accomplished was one load of laundry and empty the dishwasher. Poor Kellan DID vacuum the livingroom and kitchen, sweet child that he is! He's about to jump into his band uniform for the football game tonight. I even meant to take him out for some driving practice, now that he has his beginner's permit. BAD momma!! I did try to work through a new pattern for a knitted lace shawl. This is entre lac and three different lace panels on size 4's. AKA: trouble+misery+migraine. :) I've frogged three rows of 140 moss stitch and am reinventing the pattern my own way!

I did cruise the web for tutorials for making miniature drapes and curtains (for the Lincoln house), but didn't see anything. I have lots of nice thin fabric swatches and would like to make swag tops for the downstairs formal rooms. Any suggestions? I have one of those rubber pleater molds.

We had one of those "shall we work in the garden today-yes...." so we have done some trimming of the hedge, one part done, 4 left... And now it has started to rain so it felt good to creep back indoors, almost time to tend to dinner, not just yet though.

Have made some progress on the LE Arthur, the wallpaper is up in one of the rooms (pic in my blog) and right now the windows are painted on the inside for that room as well, might be able to install those later on tonight, not sure, depends on if we feel like watching a movie after dinner.

Hugs

Well it is autumn clean day today! We've just about finished the kitchen, next might be the sitting room while we watch some football (soccer version B))

However I was sick during the night and my tummy still feels strange. It was fine as soon as i'd been sick and this morning, but since lunch it has been behaving badly again. Cleaning with an upset stomach isn't the best! But it needs done and I'm surviving by holding my nose. Think I'll try and get Chris to do the bathrooms though :crash:

Wish I could make my own clothes Melissa! Something i've always wanted to do, but not had the time to learn and do yet.

I love Lovecraft!

I cannot remember the title of the first story but basically it was a guy climbing out of his coffin thinking he was climbing out of his castle. Did not expect that one! Then there was one about a man that plays his violin every night to sooth a savage beast in his tower apartment.

Cannot wait to read some more! Best $3.99 I spent in a long while.

I am going to hack away at the squash today, do some yard work (it is GORGEOUS outside), and bake some health bars for the cookie jar.

Nat and I rented Dont mess with the Zohan (Adam Sandler) for $1. Her friend is sleeping over tonite. I am going to make baked chicken for hard rolls, sweet potato french fries, and I bought a watermelon for dessert. Replenished the loose popcorn stash so maybe make some Kettle corn to eat while watching the movie.

The former Nicholson's Farmhouse Restaurant property has boone sold & scuttlebutt has it the new owner will keep the old farmhouses and refurbish them for a B&B type setup, not sure which of the original kitchen buildings she'll turn into a restaurant, though. Meanwhile, she allows different groups to hold fundraisers on the grounds and today was a craft show to raise money for our local county humane society towards building a shelter. We are now on a list for a local gentleman to come out and set humane traps to catch Graybutt & Tux and any other feral furkids and get them spayed/ neutered & return them to us to feed and let camp out.

Then we hit the grocery store to pick up stuff for lunches, since I'll be packing next week (back to "work" as a volunteer helping my former coworkers do the health screenings in the local schools). While we were there we got a lovely big piece of farm-raised salmon fillet for supper, and I'm going to bake a lovely lowfat fresh tomato pie to have with it.

The Godzilla Squash is cooking in the pot as we speak. It took me an hour (i swear) to cut, peel, and dice it. It filled the pot to the top!

I am going to make soup with it but the majority will be put into the freezer for winter soups. I still cannot believe I paid $1.50 for it!

Butternut squash soup.

I am going to re-arrange the livingroom today. That will include dusting the interior of the MHM and fixing up the bedroom for my Deb Bed.

I have to make room for Nat`s slumber party and the Christmas tree. I am HOPING the AC will be taken out of the window next weekend..(hint hint Fred).

I pulled out some boneless chicken breast from the deep freezer. I am thinking of making chicken quesadillas for dinner tonite.

Got up a little earlier than normal for a Sunday today. Mummy, sister and niece were coming for breakfast at 9 and still had to hoover, shower and make room in the sitting room. Got it all done, and then we were going to go to a giant flea market about 40 mins away... All piled into the little car and started off. 100 yards down the road we hit traffic. While (very) slowly driving along (behind two buses) we saw a sign for a car boot sale just a few roads down... Shall we stop there? Well we decided to stop and have a quick look around and then go on to the bigger one (unless we found enough). But we drove in and it was huge! Well haven't been to too many car boot sales, but there was a lot at this one. Once we'd been around it for about an hour and a half, we thought we didn't really need to go out to the other one 40 mins away. So we came home again :p After a bit of catch up chatting we had yummy carvery dinner at the pub before they went home again. Nice day.

So this evening I've sanded the 22 shutters, and will hopefully get them all painted tonight too.

I'd bought a nice white wire bed at the dollhouse shop where my mummy and sister live, and today I found a stall that sold other dollhouse bits. They weren't the best of bargains, but i did find some more wire furniture to go with it. Will take pics at some point, after making a couple cushions for the sofa/chair.

Muriel :)

What a lovely way to spend the day, Muriel!

It was yucky overcast again today and I finished Shelly's ghostly "working girls" and the front half of my Grayson's cabled knit dress & started the sleeves.

I have to get off my duff and start the spaghetti sauce. I am glad I took out the sausage and lamb shank last night. I almost forgot.

Going to run to the bakery in a bit to get a nice loaf of Italian bread. I am going to make some chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Nothing fancy like cannolis or BaBa for me today.

Mmm! Spaghetti and meatballs. Slow cooked italian sausage in the sauce...Parmigiano-Reggiano sprinkled on top.

I think my mouth is watering. Yup..it is watering.

Edit:

Sauce is bubbling on the stovetop. The house smells like onions, garlic, sausages, cheese, and lamb. Mmm!

I think I am going to clean the patio today or re-arrange the livingroom (i didnt do it yesterday). I think the livingroom wins. Since it is going to be colder later on this week, I want to start putting the plastic up on the windows.

We're having lamb blade chops for supper with red-skin potatoes and collards.

We screened vision and hearing on close to 120 kindergartners, we have one class left to do tomorrow AM and then we can start on the Third-graders at our first school. Two of us were screening vision and then another lady showed up, so I taught her how to use the chart I was using and I screened the kids who spoke no ingles. During breaks I stitched on the 1:24 rug; I'm filling in massive (relatively) blocks of color so it's slow going.

So, what am I doing today....Well, almost 2 weeks ago I was working on the Adams & thought I would run to Lowe's for a few small items & not being too smart, I asked DW if she wanted to go with me. I came home with the things I went after...plus new flooring for the dining room ! So, while looking at the new flooring stacked up in the room, she announced that a cabinet in the room should be rebuilt to match the bookcases ! Well, the cabinet is up & I just finished making the new trim & baseboard for the room. Today will be sanding & maybe doing some primer on the cabinet. BTW...I have not been back to the Adams since !! What can I say !!

Steve in PA

Well you got a job then Steve..ROFL

I have so many things to do before the end of this month..It is scary. Natalie is having a slumber party on Halloween and that is my deadline to get most of the stuff done. Fortunately Fred is on vacation the last week of the month but I do not want to wait that long.

Winter preparing outside, yard work, eventually leaves, clean out the diningroom and livingroom, cover all the windows, shampoo all the carpetting, repot 4 cacti, wash and rehang curtains...I could go on and on.

I do not know how I ever had the energy to do all these things before. Dont even get me started on getting the youngins to help. That is a whole other subject I do not want to get into. You all know my girls are lazy so we will just leave it at that..LOL

I MUST do the windows in the livingroom today. Must. Must. Must. It is going to get cold this weekend.

Sauce came out great. Remainder is in the freezer and I have sausages and meatballs in the fridge to make sandwiches this week for Fred`s lunches.

I so want to do some mini-ing.

Okay, enough complaining..off to go do some windows.

We finished the health screenings on the Kindergartners and started the Third Graders and my friend who's the School Health Coordinator suddenly realized we won't finish the rest of Third and all of the First Graders by tomorrow, because we only have a 3 1/2 hour "window" to get the children to screen; they're in "Open Court" (reading) until 1020 and they start their maths at 1400! And since the schools must now teach the standardized tests, rather than educate children to learn, that means these children who cannot see/ hear are missing out... Anyway, as this school was one of "my" schools when I was working I had to ask her why she thought we could finish in three days? (after all, it took God a week to create everything!lol)

Then I got home and found a WONDERFUL surprise waiting for me (which I osted about in the "Surprise" thread in the General Forum).

Now we're getting ready to go out for supper and attend our monthly Florida Trail Association meeting.

I'm still working too many hours, my regular partner has been off for hernia surgery for almost a month. Hopefully she'll be back soon, and I can drop back down to my regular 40 hour work week. Other than that, I did get a Turkey dinner on Sunday for our Canadian Thanksgiving, and I'm slowly filling up my Willow with minis!

I'm at work. sigh. yesterday was much too short (day off)...i don't really remember yesterday..lol.

My Glencroft came via UPS yesterday! I'm so excited, i've been wanting to build that house again!

I started washing the windows so I can put the plastic film up to keep the drafts out of this old farmhouse. Yesterday was a great window washing day so I got 3 done. Today it is cloudy and dreary with a brisk nw breeze. Won't be as much fun. Window washing is always a fun job. In the upstairs bedrooms the upper windows are painted shut (probably have been for the last 50 years.) So to do the outside I use the outdoor windex. Works pretty good but if not done right can leave streaks. Boy did it make a difference to get the windows clean. So bright it those rooms now. Since the windows are clean the curtains get washed too. And since the curtains are clean might as well wash the throw rugs too. We live on a gravel road so the dust really seeps into the house all summer long. Now I have to dust, dust and dust. House looks and smells so fresh when everything is completed. When I do the fall house cleaning it reminds me of my grand moher who did the same routine. Those who live in sealed up houses with the ac on all summer just don't get the pleaure of doing these chores. Now that I am in the house after 7 pm, I'm in the craft room with my mini's and sewing. I am going to make an adobe house out of foam core for a Christmas gift. :D Rita

Tomorrow's a county-wide "teacher planning day" so we won't be screening. We have finished the Kindergartners and Third-graders and started on the First-graders and have been very disturbed by the numbers of failures of the vision screenings! The test procedure indicates ocular muscle coordination problems that might be nutritional in nature; as one of the nurses & our visiting MD from FSU pointed out, there are no dark green leafy veggies in a "Happy Meal"! Anyway, we hope to finish up the First-graders today.

I blocked the pieces of the dress I knitted Grayson and sewed them together and on our way to out paddling club meeting last night I crocheted the button placket. I knitted the front yoke in a solid pink 2-ply baby yarn that matches the pink in the variegated, and I trimmed the sleeves in the same pink. Today I shall knit the collar in the same pink, trim it, sew it on and block it all a final time and sew on the buttons.

If we don't go paddling tomorrow I hope to get started rehabbing the two "Barbie" sized doll families.

I started washing the windows so I can put the plastic film up to keep the drafts out of this old farmhouse. Yesterday was a great window washing day so I got 3 done.

I have to admit (even though I complain a bit) that I do like getting with windows ready for the winter. I think I hate the thought, but once I get started..there is no stopping me.

I caulked the insides of all three windows in the livingroom, washed them, put foam seals up, and put up plastic on two. This morning Fred and his friend are taking the AC out of the window in there..YIPPEE!

Then I have to do 2 in diningroom, 2 in Nat`s room, 1 in Chels` room, and 1 in our room. I do not seal up the window in the upstairs bathroom. I even changed the screen to glass on the screen door.

My downstairs looks like a wreck. Everything is all over the place because of re-arranging. Things need to go in the basement.

Fred informed me we have car expenses coming up..UGH! Thank goodness the price of oil and gas have gone down.

We need two new front tires, struts, and knock sensor (has to do with gas flow). Plus oil change and have battery checked. I am so glad we KNOW people. The parts can be bought by friend at mechanic`s discount. It will still be about $400 for all the parts... :lol:

Going to finish my coffee and think of what needs to be done today.