What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Good one Gloria , that cracked me up ! :D I'll never forget the time my mom asked the neighbor down the road when her baby was due , and she wasn't even pregnant ( but she did look it ) . My mom was sooo embarrassed ! We still laugh about to this day.

• Like 2

Good one Gloria , that cracked me up ! :D I'll never forget the time my mom asked the neighbor down the road when her baby was due , and she wasn't even pregnant ( but she did look it ) . My mom was sooo embarrassed ! We still laugh about to this day.

That happened to me twice, people asking when the baby was due. Boy were they embarrassed when I said I wasn't pregnant, especially the young woman. She looked like she wanted to just melt away. On the other hand, I figured I should take those comments as compliments, as I was in my late 40's the first time and in my mid 50's the second time. :D

• Like 2

The "when are you due?" question has been the main motivation for my non-pregnant DW to join a gym. I'm glad she took a proactive, positive response to something that could have lead to depression.

One of the attorneys I was working with is due in February, but I didn't ask. That is the one question a guy should never ask. I heard her say she couldn't have sushi and a few other comments that might indicate pregnancy, but until just a few weeks ago she didn't show it at all.

I'm waiting to hear from my former boss about doing lunch today and a sitter for this afternoon so DW and I can see The Hobbit. Until then I'm checking for job listings around Florida and Houston, TX.

• Like 1

Good luck Jeremy........I feel so badly for you!!!

I have lost my mind!!! I just bought a Buttercup with my coupon! I am getting another "stash" built up in the closet that is swore that I wouldn't do this time! :rofl:

I definitely have a problem!!! I see a full sized Christmas or Gingerbread house coming next year!

• Like 4

Roxy, I never took offense. I was just saying that there are inconsiderate people out there and it irritates me, too. Even in my own home, if I have guests that don't smoke, I will wait til they are gone or go outside to have a cigarette or go in another room and shut the door.

Jeremy, I am amazed! I thought I was the only one who couldn't smell. I have to explain it to people so many times it's not funny. Though mine is because they had to cauterize my nose when I was little because I had such bad nose bleeds. I can smell a little, but usually the scent has to be very strong before I can.

MorningStar, I guess I am lucky. In this tiny home we have 2 small bathrooms and mine is a private one as it is off my bedroom. I understand the seat being up and t.p. being gone (it was infuriating when my ex was here). My kids share the other bathroom and they have worked out those issues on their own, even buying their own t.p. as they don't like my 'brand' (lol). Could you photograph your butterfly wall stickers and maybe make some more or find some after you move?

Gloria, I also get upset when people start on the 'smoking is so bad' lecture. It isn't like I try to shove it in their faces or force them to do it. If anything, I go out of my way to make sure they don't have to deal with my habit. I sometimes want to respond with pointing out something about them that isn't the grandest, but bite my tongue.

I live almost 20 miles (one way) away from my pharmacy. They understand that I can't make a lot of trips in, so, are very good about having meds when I need them. They don't call me if they don't, but I usually check before I head in.

Life is strange and somewhere along the line the consideration for others and manners have gone away/been lost. I tried to teach my children to care for others (my children will open or hold open doors for folks, and say excuse me and please and thank you, and various other things). But I see so many others out there who just don't care (5, 6, 7+ year olds plowing around a store running into folks and pulling things off the shelves while their parents stand there oblivious). My kids would have been made to apologize and been taken from the store immediately to be in big trouble at home. It's just sad and makes you wonder what the future will be like.

I again am sorry you all are having health problems and I truly hope and pray you all feel better soon.

• Like 2

Vicki,

I think my inability to smell anything is from the brain damage, but I'm not certain. I miss out from time to time, I'm sure, but from what I have heard, I'm also spared from some awful smells.

I don't lecture smokers UNLESS they're smoking right under the "No Smoking" sign at the entrance to the hospital where I used to work and my wife still works at. Transporting cancer patients (some of them children) through that really got on my nerves, happened almost every day and I didn't feel either of us had to tolerate it.

Today was mostly a success. I was able to have lunch, not just with my former supervisor, but 3 of the 4 attorneys I used to work with. It was fun and we plan on doing it again. A few minutes after returning home the sitter arrived, but when we arrived at the theater, tickets for Frozen were sold out. DW took the kids to the mall instead. I bought their tickets for tomorrow and watched The Hobbit alone. Tomorrow I'll watch DS #2 while the others see the movie.

I remember the bonus DVD mentioning that the movies were filmed at 48 frames a second instead of the standard 24, but I was amazed by the difference. They say the human eye processes images at about 60 times a second, so the new film speed would be closer to what we see in real time. I didn't think it would be noticeable, but it was.

• Like 2

CraftyMtnMom, you raised your kids the way mine were raised. Mine were taught to say please and thank you, excuse me, and to help others. If they misbehaved, they were removed and disciplined for the misbehavior. Now that I'm older and have various health problems, two of my children are wanting to help, one lives at home now and is always trying to do for mom. The other is 3,000 miles away and keeps asking if she needs to come home. My response: "No sweetheart, stay in school and finish.. that's how you can help me.".. Her brother can handle things while she's in school, plus her Dad (step-dad) can handle what her brother can't.. We have a system worked out. Son takes care of me during the day, when my Beloved comes home, he takes over to give Son a break. If I need anything, after Beloved goes to bed, Son is available. In case you're wondering what exactly is wrong with me, I Have scoliosis, with degenerative disc disease and osteo-arthritis. My scoliosis is so bad, that my lower spine is in the shape of a "C". When they did the X-rays a few yrs ago the ortho-doc was shocked that I'm still walking. I'm in pain most days. My pain level varies from about a 5-7 on the pain scale, sometimes it gets up to 8-9.. there are mornings where I wake up and it's impossible for me to get out of bed without help. Once I'm up and out of bed though, I can move. I'm just slow. My lower body suffers the most. My upper body is still fairly flexible and I still have use of my arms and hands. There will come a day when I will no longer be able to walk at all. I will lose full use of my legs, hips, and lower back due to the amount of pain I experience.. I am afraid of this. There are times when my back feels like someone poured gasoline on it and lit a match to it. This is from the 'hinges'.. Where the discs are deteriorated. The vertebrae rub against each other with movement and it causes inflammation of the muscle around it. Each day that I am able to walk, I am grateful.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

Jeremy, I also miss out sometimes, but then there are times I am glad I can't smell (lol). There are times I worry if my non-working nose could put me/my kids in danger, but I try to not let that bother me too much. Though it makes me more careful, I'd say.

MorningStar, I am so sorry this happened to you. My best friend as a child had scoliosis. She hated the frame they made her wear and tried to get out of wearing it as much as she could. I haven't seen her in years and years, but the last time I did (about 20 yrs), I could still see the signs of scoliosis (she apparently snuck out of the frame too much). I know its painful and I am glad you are still mobile. I hope it takes many, many years before your feared loss happens (preferably it never happens). I always feared/still fear ever losing the use of my legs. I wouldn't let them do a saddle block when my last was born though they insisted - thankfully my ex was there to stop them when they came in with the needle - he knew my fear of losing my legs and I begged him to not let them take my legs away (it sounds funny now, but I was terrified). One woman out of thousands giving birth at that hospital that lost her use of legs was more then enough statistics for me - I was not going to be number 2! I have hurt my back and I wouldn't wish that or any back pain on anyone, ever. So, I do understand and I truly wish I could end your suffering.

My kids are also helpful to me. Guess some of us are still trying and maybe our grandbabies will be another of generation of 'good kids'. One of mine is down south in a situation that can not be undone currently. The others are here and do look out for me. They are good kids and I am very proud of them. My middle child does alot to motivate me when I am far from being in the motivated mood (lol). We are lucky and we have kids to be proud of. Good job, MorningStar!

You are very lucky to have both a great husband and a great kid(s) to help! I don't think my kids will stray too far from me when they move out on their own, but I fear that day (if it ever happens). My daughter has informed me that when she grows and moves out, I will be moving in with her. I smile every time I think of that conversation.

Prayers for and hugs to you.

• Like 1

Thank God for our well-raised children,huh? My 2 sons were and are such good kids,I sometimes wonder how I got so fortunate. But I know I did my best with them when they were growing up.

It puzzles-almost upsets-some people,for some odd reason,that my single,employed,normal,intelligent 25 year old son and I are housemates-well,we rent a mobile home...But I can't currently afford my own place and he refuses for me to have to live with my own mother,God bless him! I am a bit of a hermit because of my chemical fragrance allergies and for other reasons I don't drive farther than I have to for work right now,so I am very lucky to have him around. He encourages me to try to get out more and is so supportive of my mini hobby. I know I count on him too much at times,but he has his own life,too-he's not letting me hold him back (not that I would).

My 22 year old lives less than an hour away,but he works 7 days a week,so I rarely see him. But when he visits he always wants to sit on the couch and snug up with 'mumsy' while we catch up on things. I just feel so bad for parents who are not geographically or emotionally close with their children. I wasn't sure I'd ever get to have children-I had infertility issues,and was almost 32 when I had my first,(That was unusual back then)so I really feel blessed every day!

I guess I am just missing both my boys-they were out of town for Christmas. They got back to their dad's yesterday and went straight back to work today. My oldest stays at his dad's to be closer to his route on work days. So I won't see him til Sunday,when I'll cook him a nice big supper! Just seems like forever when your kids are away even 10 days!

• Like 3

We celebrated my birthday the day before by going on a thrift store shopping spree from Gulf Breeze to Ft Walton Beach, FL and my pressies included all sorts of wonderful goodies, finishing up feasting on shrimp! at Joe's Crab Shack in Destin, FL, and icecream treats at the Sonic on Nine Mile Road on our way home.

Today it's back to the grocery store after breakfast; in addition to feeding three adults for another week I have one more ingredient to get to make my Black Forest Cherry Torte birthday cake. I also need to pick up the blackeyed peas and greens for Wednesday's dinner.

• Like 1

I'm going to turn into the cleaning monster today I think. :taz:

I'm just about over the edge with Christmas toys, leftovers, stuff piled everywhere, etc. :insane:

I told the kids this morning that today was cleaning day and you should have heard the moans and groans. :suck:

We have to go to a family birthday party tonight so I thought that might be a good incentive. Not sure it's working.

If you hear the whip cracking sound, that's me marching the troops into cleaning battle. :swordfight:

• Like 2

Selkie, you just about took the words right out of my mouth! I'd like to crack the whip, but I think it's buried somewhere under the mountain of laundry I need to do :( I'm doing fridge clean-out as well. It's a little of everything for dinner tonight!

• Like 2

CraftyMtnMom thank you for your kind thoughts. I don't blame you about the needles. I am terrified of them as well. I can certainly understand where you are coming from about not wanting them to do that procedure. I had to have an LP done to check for meningitis a few yrs ago. They wouldn't release me from the hospital until I let them do it. :( My Beloved had to help hold me down, he didn't want to do it, but he kept me focused on him and kept talking to me the entire time, his voice, his face.. I stayed focused on him while they did it. It was the only thing that got me through it......

We are indeed blessed with how our children turned out. I can't take all the credit for my son. He was raised by his father who kicked him out at 16. I had no idea where he was when this happened, and didn't know about it until several years later. I looked for him and found him when he was 18. We reconnected, and by then he'd been allowed to move back in with his father who kept threatening to kick him out again. His father is a real piece of work. This last time he threatened, I told him, if he does, he can come out here and live with me. I won't have him living on the streets again. So, we made arrangements to bring him to us, and here he is. I'm assuming that some of what he learned when he was still with me, when he was little, stuck with him, because I can see the behavior in him even now. He doesn't realize it or even know where it comes from but I see it in him. It just blows my mind. His father taught him how he didn't want to be and he saw early on how he shouldn't be, thanks to his father. :) so it was a blessing in an odd sort of twisted way. He respects me, because I don't treat him like he's subpar human. I try to help him get to where he wants to go. Instead of telling him he's wasting his time, doing what he's doing, I offer encouragement and give him suggestions on how to further himself. In turn, he looks after me and helps me with my day to day things. He loves computers and loves working with them and some day wants to work them for a living.. his father saw no future in it for him.. told him to go get a job flipping burgers.. basically shot him down before he ever even had a chance. I have seen what this kid can do if given a chance.. So, my husband and I are giving him that chance. We are going to put him through the steps to get him into school, if he'll go. He has to get his GED first though, and that's going to be tough. He has ADHD and BiPolar, so we're going to have to get him on the proper meds so he can focus. Once we get him sorted out though, I believe he can do anything he puts his mind to.

Kat, it's nobody's business but yours and your sons, about your living arrangement, love. If they have issue with it, it's their problem. They aren't paying your rent, or your utilities. My son lives with me and my husband and I dare someone to say something. Even if it was just my son and I, I'd dare someone to say something. If we were roommates, it's none of their concern. If it's odd to them then they need to mind their own affairs and stop worrying about mine or yours. :). Too often people stick their nose in where it doesn't need to be. A comment made in passing and think something is odd about it because they don't know the circumstances that brought this about, so they think it's strange. They need to find something else to be worrying about instead of you and your situation in my not so humble opinion. Your situation is perfectly acceptable. Your son is there if you need him, and it is comfortable and safe for you and your son. I don't see anything wrong with it. I am sorry though that your other son doesn't visit often. :( *huggglesnloves to both you and CraftyMtnMom*

<3<3<3<3<3

~morning

• Like 2

I have SAD and since we've had so many dark gloomy days lately, well, they aren't helping. i was going to start some miniature paintings today but just couldn't get myself in gear. Eventually I decided to order a pizza for lunch and just kick back and continue reading my new book. Pizza place turned out to be closed till tonight.

Since it also seems that we're supposed to get snow or ice or rain tomorrow evening, I figured I should go to the market for a few things and then maybe grab some burgers from McD, and come home to my comfy chair, bright reading light and my book.

I walked into the garage, got in the car and turned it on. The check engine light stayed on, and the next thing I knew, the console lights started flashing on and off, then the windshield wipers started going, and the car started making ticking noises. I couldn't turn it off, though eventually it pooped out and got still. Fortunately the service department at the dealership was open, and someone is coming to the house to look at it. The car is under warranty, thank goodness.

Oh,Grazhina,I'm just so glad it (The car) didn't do something wacky while you were driving and endanger you! That would have scared me to bits,when it came 'alive' like that in the garage!!Wow!

Holly,I wished you so last night,but again,Have A Wonderful Birthday! :) The cake sounds yummy!!

Morningstar,thanx for your kindness. I know it isn't others' business,but you'd be surprised at some people's rudeness. Most people I know in person,or hear in media,or read about anywhere,seem to start looking forward to their children leaving their home the minute they are born! I have no doubt some on this Forum feel that way,sadly. I had a hard time,trying to get pregnant for a long time,so when I did,it was such a blessing I still can't believe was granted to me! I'm so sorry for others who don't have children,by birth or adopted. And I realize,parenthood is not for everyone,even some parents! My life wouldn't be the same,for me,without mine. Okay,I'm just missing my guys a lot this weekend! Sorry to take up this space with an "Organ Recital".

Edited:I changed 'their own' to 'by birth'-that was a thoughtless mistake-didn't mean to offend anyone who adopted!

Edited by kat57

Happy Birthday, holly!

What a day, Grazhina. I don't know if I have SAD but winter depresses me. I get what you are saying and am soooooo sorry that happens to you.

Kat- to heck with those who say anything. I mean seriously, I see their 'complaint' as rather obvious. It's called jealousy! Be proud and grateful your son is good with this and whoever says they don't like it, feel sorry for them.

I plan to be lazy today and go see my Dad. I'd like to check out the snow up the road a bit (Mt. Hood) but it's cold :)

• Like 2

Kat, I agree with what Morgan said. Don't worry about what others say.. :) Enjoy your kids. They are, after all, *yours*. Each of mine, are mine. I carried them, I birthed them, and they are mine. I was told when I was 15, I'd never have children. I was .... raped and a pregnancy resulted, I miscarried thankfully and due to the length of time that I carried the baby before my body expelled it and my age and development, there was a lot of scarring apparently. The attending OBGYN that handled my case informed my mother, that the chances I'd ever get pregnant again were next to none, and if I did, I'd never carry the baby to term. My first baby came 6 1/2 weeks early. She weighed 5lbs even. She was the tiniest lil' thing I'd ever seen. She was in an incubator for the first several days of her life. They wanted to be sure her lungs were fully developed and that she was healthy enough to come home with me, before they'd release her from the hospital. She's a fighter, I tell ya. She's my miracle. My next one was 2 wks late. She had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck 3 times, and she was jaundiced... She did not want to come, to save her life. She fought tooth and nail to stay in there. Then came my son. He shot out like a cannon. :) He was ready to take on the world. Then came my youngest. She arrived on time, and she was the most perfect baby I'd ever seen. She had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck as well, and she was jaundiced, so they had to be careful with her. She's very unique. She does things her way, and I suspect she will always be that way. She's wicked intelligent. I'll tell you something though.. I dare someone to say something to me about any one of my kids. Mama don't play when it comes to her babies. I have a friend who calls me a 'mama cat' when it comes to her young. I would protect them with my life, if it became necessary. The funny thing is, my oldest recently made the comment to me that if my son ever lifts a hand to strike me (he would never do this), she'd be on the first plane home to 'handle him'.. I assured her, she needn't worry about it. He's very passive. He has no need to strike his mother. His mother is giving him a place to live, so he isn't on the street, she's making sure he has food to eat and isn't being abused by his father. He's in a safe place. He won't lash out at me. My son feels the same way, in protecting me.. if he thought someone was going to strike out at me, they'd have to go through him first. Kids.. :) We raised them right, yes?

~morning

Yes, Kat, Thank God for our children. As for others being puzzled/upset. I have 2 responses to that; do they realize how hard it is for folks. young & old, to survive alone in this economy? and do they realize that about a century ago that families actually stayed together and looked out for each other (think the Walton's)? I am so glad you have your son who is there for you. You are a lucky, blessed mom (those that get upset/puzzled don't have the same blessings as you and likely why they don't get it). That would be my take on it.

Sorry, Kathie. It likely is an effect of the season.

Happy Birthday, Holly!!! :yay:

Go, Selkie, Go!

Thank you, MorningStar, I couldn't have worded it all as well as you did (and Morgan, too).

Grazhina, So sorry about your car! As Kat said, thankfully you weren't on the road when it went crazy. Sorry to hear about your SAD. Winter is depressing!

Kat, you were blessed as all parents are to have children. Some just don't appreciate it as much. And you may be right, parenting isn't for everyone.

Morgan, enjoy your 'lazy' day. We all need one once in awhile. Be safe on the roads and stay warm.

Apologies again, to Kathie, for our 'Organ Recital'. Please forgive us. Hugs to you.

• Like 1

The only pie filling at the store was made with "sweet" cherries. I refuse to layer my torte with any but the sour cherries that went into the pies I grew up eating (and, later, making). The store's bakery had fresh tiramisus, so I grabbed one of those for my cake. Birthday dinner is going to be pigs in a blanket and sauerkraut!

• Like 2

I think you said it right CraftyMtnMom, It is difficult for some to survive solo.. and you had an excellent point. A lot of people do stay together as families the way the Waltons did. I long for those days. I am thinking that since my dollhouse has ten rooms and all ten rooms are furnished, I may very well add more dolls, replicas of my kids, (grown versions) so that all the kids live at home.. kinda like that :)

If I lived in big house, I'd have ALL of my kids at home.. as well as my parents, and my sister and her family if I could. I don't care what anyone else says.. they don't pay my bills, and they don't live in my house, so they can just.. to quote someone else whom I've become quite fond of... 'be an egg' :) I don't care. Until they are paying my bills and living in my house, they can mind their business. :) I live 3,000 miles away from my family, so family is very important to me. My son and youngest daughter are the only ones other than my Beloved, that are geographically close to me.. Obviously my son lives with me,as does my Beloved. My youngest daughter is only 2 hours away and I get to see her next month.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Apologies if this sounds like a soap opera or worse.

~morning

The only pie filling at the store was made with "sweet" cherries. I refuse to layer my torte with any but the sour cherries that went into the pies I grew up eating (and, later, making). The store's bakery had fresh tiramisus, so I grabbed one of those for my cake. Birthday dinner is going to be pigs in a blanket and sauerkraut!

Ooh, I'm coming to dinner.. I love pigs in a blanket.. and I don't think I've ever had a cherry torte, made with tiramisu.. :) I wish anyway.. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

Yes, MorningStar, we did raise them right! I used to tell people when my kids were little that I was a Mama bear -don't mess with my kids. I thought that was what you were gonna say, but Mama cat is close. Sorry you have had a rough life, but I think that makes some of us tougher when we've had more then our fair share of hard times and many of us have.

• Like 1