What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

It is gonna snow tonight! Real snow and it is going to be cold so it will stick around for a bit. I am feeling a bit less weepy today which is a good thing. I have been doing paperwork and such.
Today I am going to bake a cake and use the advantage of the hot oven to warm up the kitchen. I never did wash the dogs. They will be fine just the same.

I am thinking I need to do something this week. I just have not decided yet

• Like 1

We're going to Atlanta in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. The days are pretty tightly scheduled with family and friends, but I've managed to save a morning for HBS. Don't really need anything, so it will be fun to see if anything shouts at me to be taken home. :)

• Like 1

We're going to Atlanta in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. The days are pretty tightly scheduled with family and friends, but I've managed to save a morning for HBS. Don't really need anything, so it will be fun to see if anything shouts at me to be taken home. :)

Lucky!

If you have time, you know you always still have an open invitation to stop by here! :)

If you have time, you know you always still have an open invitation to stop by here! :)

Thanks, Tracy ... one day we'll make it, but not this time. We're going to my sister's 70th b'day party. She thinks we're going to a wedding of one of Lloyd's cousins so she won't figure out we're in town for her surprise party. The wedding's a red herring, but we'll be visiting with his relatives as well as mine and have to leave for New Orleans early Sunday so as to be here on Monday to greet friends who are flying in for a week's visit. We're driving up on Thursday, and I have HBS on the schedule for Friday morning. :thumb:

Thanks, Tracy ... one day we'll make it, but not this time. We're going to my sister's 70th b'day party. She thinks we're going to a wedding of one of Lloyd's cousins so she won't figure out we're in town for her surprise party. The wedding's a red herring, but we'll be visiting with his relatives as well as mine and have to leave for New Orleans early Sunday so as to be here on Monday to greet friends who are flying in for a week's visit. We're driving up on Thursday, and I have HBS on the schedule for Friday morning. :thumb:

Just wanted to make sure you knew you're always welcome!

Oh wow, that is a quick visit!! How fun for a surprise party, hope it all goes well!

If you have time, don't forget Miniature Designs, they are about 15 minutes from HBS. :)

One thing that I grasped onto in the past couple years that I could not build or do anything complicated was make jam. I am pretty good at it. I usually do it just in the late summer and early fall but after my surgery on my head, I felt like I need to make it . So I made a ton for Christmas.
There was a nice sale on strawberries two times this month and I took advantage of it.

Yesterday I took them all out of the deep freezer for defrosting for today. I like how freezing changes the texture of the berries for the jam.

I will make standard strawberry jam and a strawberry jalapeno jam. It has a sweet heat. I have a couple family members that I am sending jars too and Fred has a couple friends that need a refill from Christmas.

That is what I am going to do today.

• Like 1

One thing that I grasped onto in the past couple years that I could not build or do anything complicated was make jam. I am pretty good at it. I usually do it just in the late summer and early fall but after my surgery on my head, I felt like I need to make it . So I made a ton for Christmas.

There was a nice sale on strawberries two times this month and I took advantage of it.

attachicon.gifstrawberry.jpg

Yesterday I took them all out of the deep freezer for defrosting for today. I like how freezing changes the texture of the berries for the jam.

I will make standard strawberry jam and a strawberry jalapeno jam. It has a sweet heat. I have a couple family members that I am sending jars too and Fred has a couple friends that need a refill from Christmas.

That is what I am going to do today.

I make a rasberry jam that my aunt used to make and the recipe call for frozen rasberrys It is REALLY yummy and using Frozen fruit makes it easy to make to give away at Christmas.

• Like 1

I have started making jelly/jam recently, I cheated and found a really good deal on a jelly maker. I haven't tried canning yet though, they have all been frozen, so I've just given a couple away. I can't wait until strawberries come back in season, they are so expensive right now. We have a strawberry farm close by, I'm looking forward to going and picking some to use. I haven't tried using frozen fruit, I'll have to try that. So far all I've made is strawberry jam and grape jelly. Which reminds me, it's almost time for another batch of that...

We have several strawberry farms here in Baldwin County and I'm still making shortcakes from the flat we got at last year's Strawberry Festival in Loxley, AL. Heidi, if you let your fresh jalapenos ripen and turn red, they make a lovely sweet/ hot jelly that's wonderful on crackers with cream cheese.

The Harrison is in dry-fit, and I'm really ready to take it apart and prime it all then start assembling. But, the application for the new position I'm applying for is due on Wednesday, so I need to make myself focus and get that done first. I must be out of my mind... I can hardly answer the questions for the application, don't know how I think they will pick me for the job... Although I can certainly learn how to do it, just have to convince them...

Freezing the berries gives you the opportunity to save up for one or more bigger batches all at once. I freeze blackberries as I pick. It takes a month of picking every other day in the month of July to get enough berries to make blackberry jam.

I also do a peach pineapple, lavender jelly and this year going to try a pineapple habenero. Right now I also do orange ginger marmalade and blood orange marmalade.

The family loves it.

Almost a third of our property at our new house has gone back to woods and there are two wooded vacant lots between us and the next house, and the woods are full of feral highbush blueberries and sparkleberries (tiny blueberry-flavored fruit) and last Spring we picked (and ate or are still eating) four gallons of sparkleberries and six gallons of blueberries, mostly in waffles, pancakes, muffins and shortcakes.

Today DH & I want to go hike after he preps the camper to go into the shop tomorrow.

We used to make our own jam and jelly when I was little, but haven't done it in years. Maybe when berry season rolls around again, I will try some strawberry(the only flavor my kids like to eat)

As usual, I'm trying to get a handle on housecleaning today with hopefully some time for minis left over. The weekends just seem to fly by, and Mondays are usually awash with MS med side effects. I was able to get the laundry finished, so I have a bit of a head start.

Cleaning house today. The upstairs is done, will do the downstairs tomorrow. This way I can get some mini time in here this afternoon. Nice to see the sun out today. We lost power three times yesterday. I HATE having to reset all the clocks in the house!

• Like 1

Tracy,

Not sure if this is something you've heard a hundred times already, but when I was applying for jobs, I would look at the job description and think about all of the different jobs, volunteering and home projects I have ever done over the years. It's amazing how many different things we do that can translate into job skills. I always research the company thoroughly too. The last thing and possibly the most important, is to choose my resume that best fits the job type (I have 3 different resumes for different types of work) and then modify it to use the same wording or phrasing where applicable. Some companies use word recognition software to weed out resumes, so the more matching phrases, the better. The company I work for uses this kind of software. We get over 70,000 applicants a year (we only have about 750 employees world wide). The company's auto response will tell most applicants that they either don't fit the job requirements or that their resume has been forwarded to the department manager within 1 hour of it being submitted.

I hope you get the position your applying for!

We are getting a bad storm this morning, tornado warnings in the county below us. I have a few errands to run this morning, hoping the storm is gone by the time I head out. I need to drop off several applications and pickup a few.

Then I intend to work in the craft room, I have decided to disassemble the Pierce Rehab, it's in bad shape. I don't have instructions, so I may wait to see if I can't acquire those before I disassemble the house.

Kelly

Kelly, we're in the same weather zone, the sky outside is socked in and it's not even 0700 yet! At least it's too gray to see the red.

Do go ahead and get a set of instructions (I'm still using mine), but you can slowly take one apart and leave the other one (unless you decide to bash them together...) for reference. If one is really worse than the other, that's the one to begin with; you can always use salvage from it on the second one, if it's hopeless!

Seems like we all are having weather problems. After feeling like I lived in the arctic for the last week, temps are now to get to 50 degrees. The downside is they are predicting lots of rain and winds up to 70 mph here along the coast with huge waves out on Long Island Sound. They are saying to be prepared for power outages. Hate that!

Going to finish cleaning today and taking the afternoon to do some more mini stuff. Working on the second mat board bed. The first one was just a mock up and since it turned out pretty good, decided I could do a lot better job now that I know I can make it look like wood. Designing a little rocking chair as well. Without power tools, this mat board is working well!

• Like 1

Weather here is gray and darkening at 8:30 a.m. One of the porch palms was blown over when I stepped out to get the newspaper earlier. I just heard thunder, and the rain is beginning to fall. But when this line of storms passes we'll be seeing several days of sunshine -- right through the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, the city is so clogged with visitors for Carnival and the Super Bowl (which falls right in the middle of the usual Carnival excitement) that we're not even thinking of crossing the river. On the plus side, the city fathers have been spending money like they have it in order to spruce up for the visitors. Repaving streets in the French Quarter, painting out graffiti along main roads, planting palms and other greenery, adding a streetcar line for folks arriving via Amtrak or Greyhound, and so on. Of course two blocks outside of the tourist zones life is as full of potholes as usual, but every little bit helps.