What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Got back from Houston around 1 this morning and went to work at 6. I'm glad this is a short work week.

We finally got to meet up with Holly and had an amazing visit with Kathie! There are too many houses in New Orleans that are worthy of being built in mini. We also drove around several parts of Houston to see the nice houses there. On our first full day in Texas we drove up to Dollhouses Unlimited. It was a small shop, but full of great minis and lots of customers.

I've taken an entire week of from mini work, so it's time to get back to it.

First day back to school for the kids and boy were they ready! I love having them home and around, but I also love when the normal routine gets started again. Still no mini time for me as the house has yet to be undecorated. My littlest(officially taller than me) and my hubby don't want the decorations down just yet. Maybe this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on decluttering the workshop, and the whole house...lol... I guess you could say I am starting my spring cleaning in January. I want to move a few rooms around in the basement and they have to be decluttered before I can. I have not done any minis, and they will be my reward. !!

I have the Christmas Fairfield in Dryfit... It has been that way for a week or so now. Figuring out what to do in each room and where I can find the furniture. I want to upgrade the stairs and put a second one in up to the attic. Also want to add a door to the upstairs tower room, seems a pity to 'waste' it with no entrance! I have decided to spray paint it :o So have to decide how I want to decorate inside, decide what needs done before I glue it, and what I can leave til after spray painting.

We got all the christmas decorations put away on the 6th as we traditionally do, but house is still a mess from after that. I think Tuesday will have to be tidy day and hopefully spray painting day. Building in the sitting room as the hobby room is too cluttered and messy - I blame Hubby for that! :p

I've been working on exterior detailing for the Tennyson (photos later), but yesterday and this morning I've been catching up with friends on this forum. I've really missed seeing everyone's progress. So glad the forum is back!

• Like 1

I have the Christmas Fairfield in Dryfit... It has been that way for a week or so now. Figuring out what to do in each room and where I can find the furniture. I want to upgrade the stairs and put a second one in up to the attic. Also want to add a door to the upstairs tower room, seems a pity to 'waste' it with no entrance!...

Save all your kit's scrapwood! I made stringers for stairs to the third floor and wall extensions for the tower room so I could put a door into that wall and make it a utility room/ servants' bathroom.

Went home Tuesday with feeling a bit "off" ie scratchy throat and just feeling under the weather, woke up Wednesday with sore throat, fever, coughing etc so stayed home the rest of the week (great way to start at a new school, right?!? ) oh well, come Monday morning I figured better get back but am home again bad voice, sore throat and throat feels tight making it difficult swallowing and a bit on the breathing so made a doctor's appointment later this afternoon, yay or something.... Ok, I'll stop my whining now and crawl under a blanket for a while. Hugs

Awww, hope you feel all better soon Anna, and the doctor can help out this afternoon!

Holly, I have saved the wood scraps to build the walls for the doorway to the tower, but think I'd quite like some already built stairs with round spindles... Haven't entirely made up my mind though :p

Home for the day as Natasha had a temperature this morning. Doesn't have any other symptoms, so we'll see if anything further develops.

Catching up on some sleep. Soheila complained of a sore left shoulder after returning from work on Wednesday and called later that afternoon with pain radiating down her left arm and chest, so I took her to the E.R. We waited from 4:30 to 12:45 a.m. in a waiting room full of people sick with the flu and other bugs going around before they finally put her in an exam slot (not sure what to call a room that has curtains for a "wall"). I took the kids home around noon the next day after their patience was completely worn out and it looked like they would be doing tests on her for a while. They ran several tests on her heart before determining that the pain wasn't cardiac in nature and discharged her without looking at the injury.

I kept the kids out of the waiting room until the crowd thinned out to limit their exposure to illness, but didn't want to leave my wife without an advocate, so we stayed with her the entire night. The one upside was she knew practically everyone who worked in the E.R., so she was well taken care of by the RNs.

We've had 2 new positions posted in my department at work this week. Neither one I know how to do, but I could learn both of them if given the chance. I really need a change at work, so I really hope I can move into one of these. Or at the very least, another girl is also applying for one, if she gets that I could go into her spot (I'm already her official back-up, so that's feasible). If my spot opens, then my husband could apply for it (he currently has the same position but with fewer days) so that would be really good too, he could use more days - and money.

Whew! That's a lot to fall into place! So I guess this weekend I'm working on applications and resumes. Then learning what I can about SQL, .ASP, and Sharepoint, so I can maybe can have a semi-intelligent conversation! Cross your fingers for me! :)

Thanks Holly and Tracy.

I'm glad it isn't her heart, but I'm concerned that it's a muscle strain or worse- damaged ligaments. She is still uncomfortable, but not as bad as she was a few nights ago. It seems that the medical trainees are single-minded when it comes to treating patients and if their conclusion isn't correct, they lose interest and move on to the next patient. I'm just glad I didn't have to fight with them to check her heart first. The last time she went to the E.R. for a gallbladder attack I dismissed the resident who refused to check her for it, but the attending refused to go any further than to call her condition "indigestion" and wouldn't order the test either. If it wasn't so darned expensive for her to go to another E.R., we would have gone elsewhere, but the out-of-pocket starts around $2,800 and goes up from there if we don't use the only "in network" E.R. on her plan.

I started this thread 5 years ago and I am glad to see it is still going strong.

Today I am being a teary eyed mother. Some of you might have remember me mentioning a friend of Natalie`s named Raymond that lived up the street. He comes over our house practically every day to get away from a jerk of a father. He is going to be 20 in June. He has been coming to my house consistently for 5 and half years, for the past 3 years to eat. (long story about that but do not want to get into it)

He quit his job, packed up all his things, and took a train yesterday to live with his Mom in Virginia. He is planning on going to Old Dominion to get his degree in Environmental Engineering. <----something like that.
Natalie and I are heartbroken. He probably will not be back to live here at all ever. He will visit but the boy is going to be working, going to school, and partying down there. He wont have time.
So today I have been weepy and sitting in front of the computer and that is about it.

It will take me a while but I will get over it. He thinks of us as his family so he will never forget or ignore us. Just hard not seeing him here cause it is close to dinner.

:hug: Fostering a child involves as much caring and love as raising the ones that come into your family the biological way. At least he's away from the situation he was coming to you to get away from.

Jeremy, wish we lived nearer to you. I'd have been over to the ER to take the kidlets home in a flash. As sweet as they are, they didn't need to have to camp in the hospital for that long.

But the ER folks kept Soheila waiting for EIGHT HOURS when they knew it was a possible heart problem? Geez. Is she following up with her regular doctor?

Jeremy, I hope your wife is feeling better.

Heidi, that has to be tough. At least you made a difference in his life, and I bet you helped him get to this point.

As for me, I'm going to go down and clean up my craft room a bit. It's also our storage area, and we had to take out the shelves that held everything after a toilet flooded through the vents. Thankfully it wasn't on any of my fabric or supplies. So all our tools and stuff are just everywhere down there. I'm going to try and move some of my stuff off of my shelves and repurpose them for tool storage. Of course, the shelves I can move are 1/4 the size of the old ones, so I need to either buy more or get rid of a lot of stuff. I have a feeling I'll be buying more. If I'm really on top of things, maybe I'll get started on rebuilding my Allison today.

The phrase of the day is *No more tears!!*

It is in the 50s here in CT and I am going to take advantage before the cold snap rolls in tomorrow. I am going to wash the dogs. They do not NEED it because they all smell lovely but it couldnt hurt to give them a nice massage, fluff and fold, and a pampering (nails).

I have had to be creative in what I can eat because of the gb. Chicken does not hurt me. So tonight I am going to roast some very large chicken breasts, make a tossed salad, and a side of Mac and Cheese (that i cannot eat). It is Fred`s weekend off, we are hanging out together, And I think some cheesy goodness will help Natalie is some small way.

After the dogs, I think i will sit on the couch and look at seed catalogs.

I've seen you mention the turned toothpicks before Holly and have been looking out for them wherever I go, but so far no luck. I saw some at a chinese buffet once, but it was as we were leaving and I couldn't wait in the queue to ask where they got them. They didn't have any the next time we went, but still looking.

I ordered a kit to make some stairs, hoping they'll turn up soon. Was hoping for Saturday as they were posted Thursday, but with the snow here they'll probably arrive Monday when noone is home. Then I'll have to go out and get them on Tuesday from the post depot - so long as it doesn't snow lots more!

I have been very excited by the snow. Chris and Natasha also enjoyed playing in it. First day was lovely, but snow not suitable for building snowmen, so we just built the body. Saturday when I was at work they managed to finish it and built a gorgeous dog and cat too. There's still plenty of snow on the ground, but I'm hoping the ice holds off and I can drive Chris and Natasha to the bus and me to work tomorrow.

post-2387-0-85945000-1358722134_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-61103800-1358722196_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I have wanted to build a Calvin & Hobbs style snow sculpture for years, but our winter was last Tuesday. It dropped down into the 50s. Been in the 70s and 80s most days here. We were in the 90s by mid-March last year, so I doubt it will be any different this time around.

Soheila went back to work this evening. Giving her shoulder a few days to heal seems to have helped, at least in the short-term.

Now that I'm back from the Sarasota show, I have started back up on brick laying for the Victorian's foundation. Tomorrow is a holiday, so I'll be able to work all night on it.

I've seen you mention the turned toothpicks before...

I found these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Ornate-Wood-Toothpicks-360-Pack/dp/B0042Z5GQC I tried googling turned toothpicks in the UK, had NO luck whatsoever! I found mine in the party & hors d'ouvre section of a liquor store, with the plastic swords and paper brollies.

I found these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Ornate-Wood-Toothpicks-360-Pack/dp/B0042Z5GQC I tried googling turned toothpicks in the UK, had NO luck whatsoever! I found mine in the party & hors d'ouvre section of a liquor store, with the plastic swords and paper brollies.

Amazing! I would never have thought to look on Amazon for toothpicks!

Finally got some mat board today, now I'm going to try making 1/2 scale furniture. Patterns are made, so hopefully I'll make some progress today. They are predicting snow for later today, so perfect excuse to stay put and do the mini thing.