What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thank you, Muriel :) No plumber today. For my birthday DH took me to our favorite nouvelle cuisine eatery in Tallahassee, where the menu is different every single night (their chefs are mostly recent graduates of the local culinary istitute). Tonight the appetizer was frog legs braised in a jalapeno-chives sauce and served on ciabatta toast and I had sliced duck breast with a cheery-chipotle sauce served with fried Swiss chard on a bed of pecan rice (with lovely big chunks of fresh pecans; YUM!). We were too stuffed for dessert, but came home and had slices of the buche de noel we hadn't had room for with Christmas dinner.

No plumber! Oh, well. I put Mildred's first floor onto the foundation after I made a replacement for foundation piece #10, which apparently didn't want to fit again after disassembly. Tomorrow I hope to start the dry fit. I picked up a small can of blue paint to tint and use to paint Mildred, since she wants to be Holly's House of Blues.

Tomorrow AM we may run out to the hardware store and buy a replacement faucet set for the downstairs lavatory, since the plumber used the one we had to replace the set on the lavatory in the upstairs bath.

Home with a head cold today, so catching up with laundry and pet cleaning. Sons are home with me so they may not be aware they will be my chore slaves to clean bunny hutches and litter pans.

Surprising how much snow is still on lawns in our neighborhood from the Christmas night storm. It got us cracking on gathering some warm stuff to bundle in when Jim and I head to Yellowstone mid January for a week. This is our birthdays/anniversary/Christmas gift to each other this year. We'll be staying in lodges and traveling by snow coach. Jim has already ordered a few things from Landsend and Bean, but we'd welcome any suggestions for things to take from anyone living in the cold regions. I hate to take too much, and we won't be hiking much and skiing. I figure warm head/toes/hands and then layer in between. Dry skin is always a problem for me when I travel out West.

Gayle, the secret to winter wear is layering.

I have a different sartorial challenge here. Yesterday Lloyd's uncle invited us to his social group's new year's party -- tomorrow night. Ol' casual me doesn't have any cocktail feathers, although I do have a pair of dressy black gaucho pants. I hate shopping for clothes, but I don't see any way out. Maybe a flashy blouse will work. Also have a problem with my feet, so sparkly party shoes are out. Uncle went to great effort to get the tickets, which are a prize item, so gracefully bowing out it not an option.

Just go buy a silky, slinky blouse to go with the pants-something you can cut up to make drapes and bedding later!

We have a houseful of grandkids today! Off to the mall for exercise and to use their B&N gift cards, then we'll take the whole crowd out for Mexican food tonight.

Kathie, I feel your pain! I dread dress-up events. When I can't get out of them I usually opt for a black base-layer (dress/tights/shoes) and a fancy shawl or scarf..maybe fastened with a nice brooch. I have a foot issue, as well, so I go for simple flat slip ons. I'm not a shopper and I hate malls, but we do have a few great consignment shops near by that often have just the thing for far less cost. Good luck!

Found a decent red/gray pattern silky blouse with some ruffles at Penney's and some beads to flash it up. That and a pair of pantyhose (I think the elastic in my last pair gave out six or seven years ago) and I'm ready to roll. I have some red sandals I can wear; not exactly 4" stilettos, but I'd end up with a twisted ankle and screaming metatarsals if I tried that route! :)

While there we (I) bought some drapery panels for the studio, a light blue to go with the blue denim sleeper sofa we bought yesterday and the hardware to hang them. That's tomorrow's project.

Everyone has gone home now. It's so quiet after kids running all over the place for 2 days! I could clean up the mess, I guess. But I'm going to take tomorrow for my mini day. Then maybe on Saturday I'll do laundry and cook a pot of black eyed peas for good luck....while I mini!

Just got back from spending the holidays in Cape Cod with Bryan's family. Was pretty fun -- got snowed in over the weekend and lost power. But it was relaxing to stay inside, play board games, cook, read a good book...and snuggling under the blankets with my soon to be husband! :)

Now have to deal with unpacking, doing groceries, and spending New Year's Eve with my family.

We took today to run errands, since Tallahassee will be impossible until after Tuesday, what with the all the inaugural doo-doo going on. We hit our favorite charity thrift store and I found a ton of yarn to knit myself a RL hooded poncho and some shelf liner I can make a foyer ceiling for Mildred (sky background with cherubs) and some fuzzy ribbon that will make perfect stair carpet for Mildred. We hit the leaf & twig grocery and I got us some lovely fresh Swiss chard and they finally got in my favorite buckwheat pancake mix (it's Sherry's fault, she got my taste buda all excited!). Ross had bath linens in colors perfect for our new bathroom and then I found a short pillar candle with dried flowers & leaves in the SAME colors as the linens! How good is that!? We finished up at the regular grocery store and I got a can of blackeyed peas for New Year's Day; I already have the pork & collards, and meal for cornbread.

Once we were home the plumber's wife called to say he'll be here in the AM (I'll believe it when I see him...).

Sounds like a great shopping day Holly! I love those. I should try and go out and about either tomorrow or Monday. Tomorrow would be a good day to go thrift store shopping. I've got a couple of other things I need to go do, so hopefully I'll make it out tomorrow. Been saying I would all week, but haven't made it out yet.

I finally finished recovering from Christmas craziness! I now have my own little mini room that is actually decent sized. I'm so excited to work in there! I also have the exciting news that James and I are finally going to get our wedding!!!!! Yay! The semantics behind it are long, dreary and sort of embarrassing... but the short of it is that he is totally onboard and I am in a planning frenzy! Christmas next year is going to ROCK (12-18)! Just thought I would share my happy news.

We don't have plans for NYE since that requires getting a sitter and they are not only hard to come by for that night, but are also crazy costly. So we will be toasting quietly by ourselves and probably take in a good redbox movie. NY day will be spent with family and on Sunday I get to FINALLY see my best girlfriend. We have been busy and never in the same place at the same time for more than 2 years now. Very exciting holiday season this year!!!

Daphne, that sounds like a glorious weekend. Funny how Nature forces us to stop and appreciate the little things every once in a while. :)

Holly, if New Year's wishes are allowed I wish for your bathroom to be finished!!!!

Me, too, Lyssa! However, IF the plumber shows up today, I expect hanging sheetrock will be about the extent of it (I do hope he gets around to putting back the plywood back to my little kitchen pantry/ wall cupboard before anything else falls out the back and gets forever sealed behind the sheetrock!). There will still be painting the sheetrock, tiling the wall and splash wall around the tub, installing the flooring, hanging the new ceiling, installing the new lights and lavatory and commode stool. Oh, and of course, towel bars and TP holder. I'm still on the hunt for the accessories (toothbrush holder, soapdish, wastebasket & toiletbrush & holder).

Today I clean. No more putting it off. I'll start with the bedroom since that is the least messy, and then I will attack the office/workroom armed with a large trash bag. If I survive that encounter, I will clean the bathroom afterwards.

It's supposed to get down to 1 degree tonight. Brrrrrr.

Ye, Gods, indeed! I couldn't believe it when it got down to -5 F just before sunrise this morning!! BRRRRR!!! And this whole week is supposed to be this cold, OMG. And I must walk to the post office this morning, too - at least it's up in the teens right now and sunny, with no breeze. Get out the longjohns, everyone! (and my heart goes out to the Midwesterners who are enduring a blizzard today....Stay safe, warm, and close to the fire!)

I worry about the guys who camp by the river, hopefully they'll have enough sense to go to the shelter. They're decent sorts in their own way, I wouldn't want anything to happen to them.

-5F? Ewww. I don't like the cold, no sirree! I know it's winter, but does it have to be so darned cold? :)

I'm trying to re-arrange my mini stuff, to see what I can send upstairs to a second closet, and what needs to stay down here on the first floor.

I primed all the windows of MoggieManor yesterday, today I'll finish painting them. Same goes for the front steps and the chimney. Then I'll work some more on Tilly.

Zeb's working tonite..at our local watering hole/club. I'll have an eggnog waiting for him when he gets home. Another year bites the dust, LOL..

:)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

:blink:

J

Congratulations Lyssa! Very exciting :)

Happy New Year all, hope it brings you happiness.

I had to work today, definitely not worth it! Quiet and no urgent prescriptions dispensed (just a few routine prescriptions). Well, hopefully won't have to do it next year!

We had our usual gathering over for last nights party. A group of friends from College (the UK version when you're normally 16-18 years old rather than university) who get together regularly, and we've hosted new years for the last few years. Did go to bed around 12:30 as I had work at 9, but didn't get to sleep until around 4 :blink: Will be an early night tonight! But everyone had a good time.