What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

The link works fine, Melany - and what a pretty house! Love the colors in the bathroom and everywhere else, and your food looks yummy! Thanks for sharing.:welcome:

Well, after spending the last two days doing a top to bottom housecleaning (long overdue!) I'm paying for it with knees and ankles that have gone nuts with arthritis. So I'm creeping around using my walker like an old, old lady - but my house is clean! Good excuse to sit, listen to the radio, and finish a teeny crocheted piano scarf, an afghan I've never done in mini before but have done many times in full-size, and plan out my next projects....:) New pictures soon, I hope.

Mary,

That is how I have been feeling. I had that heel pain problem. Well my right foot is fine but my left foot is still being a pain. So no matter how I do or do not do..I am hobbling along at night. I am going to make that trip out to the Birkenstock store pretty soon. My feet cannot take this anymore.

I think I am going to stare at the Pom for a little while and decide what I am going to do with her.

Well, I made it to work today, but left at lunch. I wasn't feeling too terribly bad, but was feeling bad that people kept telling me that I looked and sounded awful and what was I doing there at work. So my husband came and picked me up, took me to lunch and to the Hobby Lobby sale, then I came home and took a short nap. I'm finally feeling better, just a little bit of a nagging cough, but I should be good for tomorrow. I'm trying hard to keep myself sitting and resting though, instead of being productive. I don't sit still well.

We're back home from our journey, have unpacked the car, picked up the mail and the dog, topped off the car, and restocked the refrigerator with perishables, unpacked the suitcases, and have a load of laundry spinning. It was a whirlwind week, during which we met and had dinner with Jennifer (jeninky), spent nearly a whole day at the Great American Dollhouse Museum, enjoyed my granddaughter's performance as an 8-year-old Munchkin in The Wizard of Oz, did our best to be polite to the granddaughter's other grandmother, who is a nonstop talker and very tiring to be around for very long (we stayed at her house!), made stops in Cincinnati and Indianapolis to visit cousins, and stopped in Columbia, MO, for Lloyd's cat scan today. Even managed to get to the Hobby Lobby 50% sale, where I picked up a washer and dryer for the quilt shop and some construction materials.

More on the GADM when I get my camera unloaded. :welcome:

Welcome home, Kathie! I'm hunting boxes.

Melany, I enjoyed looking at your work, but my monitor was making strange colors. I would love to watch you make the egg-cup!

Other than groceries I want to mini today. I'm getting a craving on for my mac & cheese (I put diced turkey "ham" & veggies in mine).

So....I got the castle out of my shop & now I have some room to work. I got the country cottage kit out & dry fitted it together. I have several ideas for it, but have not decided what I want to do yet.

I am also making a real life mailbox for a guy that looks like his house. That is coming along nicely. I mentioned to him about fancy mailboxes being damaged or stolen, but he wants it, so I will do it.

Steve in PA

We're at the dunes (Indiana) and just enjoyed a gorgeous sunset followed by bbq'd chicken and fresh corn on the cob. Tomorrow a rest day with beach and swimming before a weekend with rarely seen relatives. A perfect end to our honeymoon. Listening to the crickets and train horns without other man made noises brings back many happy childhood memories, and now I can share the excitement with Chris.

We more often than not put cut up hot dogs and peas in our mac & cheese, topped with crunchy cornflake&cheese.

We ended up doing all our grocery shopping yesterday at the "leaf & twig" food co-op and had organic pork ribs with leftover rice & beans made over. I also got a boned leg of goat and a big bunch of fresh green chard, so we're having the leg stuffed with onions, carrots & celery, and the chard with new potatoes. I also got a dozen eggs while we were there, because the laying hens are all free-range, grain-fed; and do the eggs ever taste wonderful! I poached a couple for breakfast this AM.

We are still working on the first bathroom. He's laying tile now, making templates and cutting one piece at a time. Thankfully, it's not a real big bathroom! I'm painting cabinet knobs. It takes about 6 coats counting the varathane to get a really good finish on them, so at least I get a little break while each coat dries! I made fresh chicken salad for lunch and will reheat some frozen Sloppy Joe for dinner, so at least no cooking today!

I did try something different with the chicken salad today that really was good-just messing around and added a bit of lime juice to it. Soooo good! Probably everyone else knew that secret but me!

Went to our newly opened Hobby Lobby. Did not find a whole lot but did find some stuff on resin casting, and they had a good supply of wood for crafting. Will go back once the crowds are not quite so large. Michaels is not going to like this!

Crap (sorry but this deserves a low level swear!)!!!!

Hurricane Earl is pointed right in my direction!! I am not in the mood for this everybody. That means I have a ton of work to do for preparing, on top of everything else that is going on! I have to secure stuff outside, batteries, bags of ice, bottles of water, etc etc etc.

We are not on the shoreline but we have tons of trees so it could become not so good. I need to dig out the property insurance just in case.

Heidi, I'm SO sorry to hear this! Our DS#2 is also on Earl's itinerary. We have all been fortunate that all the storms so far have been "fish storms", and I hope some nice cold front comes charging down out of the NW to push him further out to sea!

One of the new things I found at the health-food grocery store was some wonderful lamb smoked sausage, so last night I made pasta sauce out of some of it and DH loves it! Tonight I'm finally going to succumb to the mac & cheese!

Just finished grouting one bathtub. Looks pretty good, comes from all that practice with spackle and joint compound. lol!! I even got Kolbi's dollhouse floors varathaned while I was doing the cupboard knobs for the bathroom.

Holly,

One of my online friends from New Hampshire (who is also watching this storm) said that the weather news said that a cold front will push in from the NW sometime this week. We are having record heat now and that is supposed to get cooler on Wednesday/Thursday.

I will still be preparing for it.

More years ago than I care to admit I've been alive I had a year of commuting from Coshocton to Newark, OH, to a periodontist for occlusal "adjustments,". a series of procedures with my crwded back teeth that was to avoid a root canal, and on one occasion he had my mouth all numbed up so I couldn't tell where his hands/ fingers were in there, and suddenly I heard his voice coming through gritted teeth saying, "Don't bite the dentist..." ( I didn't bite him all that hard; no blood!)

Oh, Holly.....I was tempted to bite when I was a teenager and was in to the orthodontist to have my braces adjusted - and he dropped a pair of pliers right on my mouth!!

Well, I'm sitting here at a little after 5 a.m. with the water shut off in my apartment. For some unknown reason I woke up around 3:30 (no, it wasn't a plumbing call, or at least not that way LOL), just KNEW I wasn't going back to sleep, so started up the computer. Heard this bizarre noise and thought, NOT my computer, please, NO!! Well, I tracked it down to the sound of water absolutely gushing inside the wall between the dinette (where 'puter is) and the kitchen. Our little apartment building is famous for its plumbing emergencies (one of the things they're going to completely re-do this winter during the building-wide remodel is the plumbing), so I called the poor manager. Turns out she was up already because her daughter is on a tiny, tiny island right in the path of Hurricane Earl and she's worried sick about that....Anyway, so now the water is completely shut off, I've just noticed that the rug by the wall where the water was running is soaking wet for several feet, and no doubt a little later today I'll have plumber(s) here punching holes in that wall and replacing whatever pipe there decided to give up the ghost.....

Jeez, I'm sure glad I had just filled the kettle right before the water got shut off - at least I can have a nice hot cuppa tea, even if I am going to have to go down the hall to the public restroom for other needs.....

Mondays - ya just gotta love 'em!

Yikes, Mary ... I'm glad there's a public restroom you can use!

I'm working full bore on the quilt shop. (check my blog, link below) The show is Sept 25-26, but my goal is to have it done by the 15th. I keep thinking of details to add. We're still having 90s weather, too hot and dry to work in the garden, so it is getting ignored. Hoping that after the 15th I'll be happy working outside again.

Still looks like Earl is going to make an appearance (so far)...CT is in the swath of red on the maps. Not in the mood for this. Really really not. I have to start planning on putting things away and/or inside.

Fred (and my friends) are telling me that I am being overly cautious. I do not care what they think. This is a hurricane. You do not mess with them. I know we have not had one here in 20 years but that does not mean that we wont.

Tonite is taco night for all except Fred. I think he and I will have omelets for dinner.

Got lucky and the plumber showed up around 8 a.m. and got to work right away. I was right, he did have to punch a hole in the wall, up near the ceiling, and replace a pipe that was spewing water, which only took him a couple of hours to do, thank goodness. So now I have a hole in the wall, a very wet rug by that wall even though he shop-vac'ed up about 2 gallons of water out of the rug, and a dehumidifier device parked on the rug in front of the wall to help the wall and the rug to dry out....That's supposed to sit there and run for at least a day or so, then later this week someone else will come and patch up the hole in the wall.

It really is lucky that I woke up basically in the middle of the night and actually HEARD the pipe give way and got the water turned off pretty quickly - can you imagine the mess it would have made had all that water been pouring out behind the wall for even a couple of hours? As it was, that leak only did its thing for about 15 minutes.....

My next door neighbor (an older gentleman) got a hankering for a "real" ham, so he got a really nice looking bone-in picnic ham, which he offered to share with me if I'd cook it for him - I'm thinking a honey-mustard glaze while it's baking, and then thinking of all kinds of goodies to use ham in, like cheesy scalloped potatoes with ham, split pea soup using the bone...Yum, yum!!