What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Ugh! Way too much going on lately so I've not had much time here on the forums (POUT) The last week in July/first week of August was the Bangor State Fair, and I do security for that, so I was gone pretty much 12-16 hours every day for that. Got my check for that, which went into my car...registration and inspection first, and as my "reward" for working so much, I got my car detailed..it is now LITERALLY squeaky clean and there are no more dubious stains or smells (see if Eric ever gets to drive it again after tracking dog poo all through it...GRRR) Getting caught up on other stuff this week...had my TB test done for work so I don't get fired, getting a hair cut, going to the skin doc, did a training for work....dentist on thursday, probably grocery shopping tomorrow, and laundry and other housework tonight. Yay for me!

I am sitting her today impatiently waiting on a wonderful lady to call me about about a dollhouse.! I need to clean up the living room it looks a if a tornado has touched down in there... I have to get it cleaned up before Saturday.! Yeasterday was my youngest sons 8th Birthday so we played cars, and then got the train set out and then he got the horses out... so we have a town with a train track... and horses running all about that are 3 times bigger than the cars.. and we have a dollhouse sitting off to the side.... that was the barn.! but the horses were running loose.! LOL!!!

They want to put up the electric train today in the kitchen so we have to pick up the stuff in the living room!!

I need to get laundry finished, and then I am going to relax for a bit... I am so tired lately.. and I have not done anything.!

Kellee

Last night I was so mad I could spit..I am better now. Ugh! Teenagers!

Let me add background to this story before I tell. Natalie has an Ipod nano. She got it for her birthday last year. She loves it, treasures it, uses it always. It cost me about $140..give or take. Fred`s best friend has a spoiled dd. She has an Itouch that she does not *like*. She barely used it. Her mother also just got her an iphone so she does not NEED the itouch. She is 12!!! The Dd is going to sell us her iTouch for $125. It is lots of money but they go for much more money plus it is practically new (she hardly used it). Nat will get it for her birthday in October and Chelsea was going to covet the Nano.

Nat is at my *mom`s* house for the past couple days to go swimming. She had shorts on over her suit and she jumped in the pool...Can you figure out what was in her pocket of the shorts??

The Nano. She said it is dead. I was mad but it was a mistake...What made me mad was her attitude about it. "No problem, Mom. You all are getting the new one anyway."

I blew my stack a bit.

I told her it wasnt like she dropped a pack of gum in the pool! She told me that I was going to make her feel bad for the rest of the day over nothing.

Grrr! She hung up on me and I did not call back.

Why are kids so blase about stuff? No big deal...only $140 down the drink. I am still buying the iTouch because it is a steal but part of me wants to keep it for myself! LOL

She is coming home today and I am going to see if I can dry it out. I told my *mom* to put it on top of the tv for the rest of the night to try and dry it out.

What is wrong with this generation? I have spoiled my children with MORE then I have ever had but not to the point that some people do. They have to wait for things because we do not have it like that. I do not use credit to buy things. I wait until I have the cash. Chelsea gets it....Natalie does not.

Okay done with my rant...back to happy thoughts... ;)

Heidi maybe you should hold on to the new one until she has made the money to replace the old one. ( or an agreed on amount) Most kids appreciate things you have to work for more than things given to them. Sounds like she does not realize how hard it is to save $140 and not just go out and buy something.(or have it given to you) Not trying to be preachy or anything, but it's better she have a good grasp on money now than learn the hard way like DH had too.

Oh no Melanie, I do not think you are being preachy at all. Last night I was even thinking of not buying the iTouch at all. But I had already promised the girl I would, and like I said..it is a bargain. (they go for $299 new for the 8g).

If she didnt have that *entitlement* attitude about it, I wouldnt have been so mad. She treated her iPod like it was gold. Now that she knows we are getting the newer version, it is like that money that I saved and spent on it was nothing. She made a mistake and I understand that..everyone makes them.

I totally agree with you that she should have to do chores and work around the house to earn the iTouch..but it was going to be her birthday present. I am not wavering or making excuses..just trying to think of what I am going to do instead for her birthday. She is going to be 15 plus she did so good on her grades last year. (Some of you know about the hardships we had with her in middle school).

So I am torn about how to handle the situation. Let`s hope I can dry the iPod out. What would you all do?

She is a good kid but that greediness finally bubbled to the surface.

Let us all collectively hope she comes home today and has a change of heart..

Have you thought of possibly having it repaired or refurbished? I am not too familiar with the iPod, except that the one we bought DS was stolen, or so he says <_< . I can completely understand how you are feeling Heidi. In all honesty, I cannot think of any advice. I do not know what I would do in your case. Perhaps make it a partial gift and the other part have her earn? I just don't know. Sending hope that it works out good for everyone. :flowers:

Heidi, this may sound a little weird (ok maybe a lot weird) but we had a *cough* friend ( thankfully no longer in our lives) who had a bit too much to drink one day and dropped his IPhone in the toilet (I don't know, I didn't dare ask!). Anyway, he sealed his in a baggie full of uncooked rice for a few days and after that it worked fine....maybe that would work for you? I hope that Miss Nat has thought about things and has a change of heart.......

My day? Yeah, I spent too much money. Not that I wanted to but I kinda wanted my car to be legal! I'm now registered, inspected and clean! Also went to the skin doc for some abuse...layers of acid spread lovingly all over my face, gotta love adult cystic acne! In a few days I will look like a lizard! Now I'm off to do more laundry, as I am wearing my last pair of clean undies.

See y'all later!

What have I been up to for the last week? two men come to our house every day to re-stain the house and deck which was quite faded out and looked pretty bad. they also fixed the porches up and replaced some of the railing that the ice took out last winter and have repaired the roof. While we are paying them for doing all of this, I've been baking home made rolls and bread each day, and cooking lunches and snacks for them....... For instance tomorrow I'm making fried chicken and dumplings, as well as veggies. Friday will be chicken pot pie and salads..... Am I tired? You betcha....but in return, these two men are also taking 10 years worth of broken down and flattened boxes to the dump for me on Friday. So while they are working so hard, and I'm cooking, I'm also cleaning my basement of all of the accumulated junque type boxes and pellets, and all of the junque I can stuff into bags. They have quite a haul to take..... Doug and I have been taking 20 or 30 boxes ourselves twice a week....but they took pity on me the other day as our car doesn't hold all that much....and told me that they would take them for me because I've been better to them than any other customer they've ever had. I took that as a compliment! We also make them take breaks with iced tea, lemonade and cookies as well.....

Am I spoiling them? YES! Cause next year we want them to come back and drywall our basement!

Back from a long weekend in New Orleans ... got to the right restaurants, saw a ton of relatives, caugh up with lots of friends ... a jam-packed few days. Weary now ... need to go to the store to replenish milk & other perishables. Weather here (central MO) should be nice for outdoor work. Hoping to work on the garden tomorrow while the plumber installs the new bathtub surround. Heading to the butterfly exhibit at the botanical gardens on Friday if the plumber is finished. On Saturday we'll see "Arsenic and Old Lace" at the local repertory theater. (I've seen it several times ... one of my favorite plays. )

School starts next Monday. Gabi will be a senior, Xochitl a sophomore. Am hoping things will quiet down so I can work on my dollhouse class, which will be starting soon. I need to order a couple of Primrose kits to do up as samples.

Where has this summer gone??????

morning all!

today I am going into work a bit late....its the first day of school and Miss thang is a Senior and no way could I miss sending her off and taking her photo!

last kid...last yr of school! :flowers:

we are starting a week early so that the district can give the students a 3 wk Christmas break this yr for the big move into the new High School. the new school is HUGE and will house 9-12th grade

with a gymnasium,cafeteria and auditorium. I cant wait to tour it.

our High School is almost 90 yrs old and sits almost downtown and allows our teenagers an open lunch period...bad idea IMHO. new school is slightly out in the country and will be a closed campus...awe poor kids.

Catriona and her classmates will be the first graduating class from the new school.

today I am making french toast and scrambled eggs for her. its so hard to believe my baby is going to graduate this yr.

have a great day yall!

nutti <_<

The i-Pod is working! Okay..I read up on it. If the gadget was off when it hit the water, you may have a chance. If it was on..it is probably dead.

I called her and told her to lay it upside down on top of the television set. The heat from the set will help dry it out. You can also dry it with a hairdryer on a low setting. Give it a couple days.

She still acted like it is no big deal. Fred and I will discuss the new i-pod and what we should do about Natalie.

Off to the hairdresser with Nat today. Cut and color for the new school year. 14 more days to go! WooHoo!

Going to the dentist to be fitted for my "flipper" that I will wear for the next 8-10 months while going through the process of surgery to remove 3 broken tooth roots, implant posts and eventual tooth replacements. (Can you say expensive?) Also Hubby is waiting for plumber to come repair/replace well pump. Hardly any water pressure. Plumber suspects it was struck by lightening last week during thunderstorm. Household insurance will cover. When it is repaired have loads of clothes to wash.

Let's see, kind of an odd day yesterday....went out to dinner with some friends, then they wanted to go out drinking/dancing but I just wasn't up for it....eric and i vegged on the couch for a bit and then i got into an odd cleaning fit (at midnight!!!) and cleaned until 430AM. Skipped my staff meeting (blush) because getting up at 730 after going to bed at 430 just didn't appeal....went to the orthodontist at 11, got one of my teeth shaved down (OWWWW) and new liners (invisalign braces). Thankfully now my poor mouth can heal....my last pair ended up very twisted and had sharp bits everywhere, so my mouth and tongue are all cut up :flowers: . Plumber just got here, thank GOD!!!! What happened was that a few months ago, our kitchen faucet kicked the bucket, and DH swore up and down that he could fix it, no problem. Finally, he bought a replacement faucet, then determined that we had no wrenches....so a month later, we finally get the darn wrench, and as he is poking around under there, he determines that the "geniuses" who built the kitchen (before we owned the house) decided it would be an excellent idea to install an electrical outlet right under the water pipe.........Not THAT much of a problem, however Eric then determines that the setup is way too weird for him to deal with...so we need a plumber. Fine, no worries, no issues with that! What he neglects to tell me, is that he wasn't able to turn any of the water back on in the kitchen....sooooo no dishwasher... or garbage disposal......for the past two weeks.......and Eric is a very messy cook................................so yeah, we have no clean dishes in the house. My friend Jenn has been threatening to do our dishes in the bathtub (she is very OCD) but I reminded her that Eric messed this up (by not calling when he promised for several weeks) so the dishes were going to stay there as a reminder until he made the call. Needless to say, I have not been in the kitchen much.........Ah well, plumber will make it all better and my dishwasher will run non stop for the next several days! Yes, I know I am spoiled, but dang it, I'm ok with that LOL! I saved up for months to get the dishwasher installed!!!!! Hehe. So, yeah, finishing laundry, doing dishes, taking a nap and going to work tonight. That be my plan!

Well the well pump is ok, but we have a broken pipe between it and the house. Sooooo we will have to have someone come in and jack hammer the floor in the basement utility room to get at the pipes. We have no water! Will visit the grocery store for some 5 gallon jugs of water so we can brush our teeth and wash our faces as well as some primer for the toilets. Life sure can throw some ringers.

We just got home today after a week of camping at Suwanee River State Park with no refrigerator. We packed all the have-to stuff into the back seat of the truck this AM, hitched up and drove straight to the dealer to put The Wheel House in the shop to have it fixed. For frosting on the cake, one of the "teeth" on the sewer hose was, unbeknownst to us, cracked enough that when DH opened the blackwater tank valve to dump it the assembly just fell off onto the ground! He immediately closed the valve & reattached the hose and drained the tanks (black & gray) holding the hose in place (yug!); and then I operated the spigot whilst he got to hose everything down. So we have another laundry list for the shop! We didn't have this much grief with the old RV!

I have to trim the cuffs and sew them onto the sacque sleeves and make the ties & pompoms, and pompoms for the bootees, and finish the bonnet trim and ties & pompoms for the first layette set for "Baby Boy" (I've already told DS they'd better come up with a better name than that one! for a FIRST grandson!). I found directions for a knitted baby "caftan" on the back of one of the yarn wrappers.

I am off on a 45 minute ride to my nearest Social Security office this morning. Being on a Medicare prescription plan, I fell into the 'donut' part of coverage. Applied for help in covering some of these meds, and have been asked for 'proof' of my disability. After spending the past several days on the phone trying to get the correct paperwork, I have decided to drag myself to the SS office and get a paper 'proving' I am disabled. After hopefully getting 'correct' papers in person, I will send them out, and spend some more time stressing out on whether I will be helped or not. My nerves are frayed, and if I thought I could just give up some of these meds, I would just give up!!! Heidi, I can so relate to your story. My daughter is getting a dose of 'real life' right now. She has just signed papers with another co worker for her first apartment!! While I am very excited about this, she is having shall I call it 'sticker' shock on electricity costs and deposits etc.!! Just wait until she has to go grocery shopping for everything!! I raised her on my own, and she KNOWS I struggled. But, she also is part of a generation that thinks they should be able to have it all!!!! I plan on sitting back, and 'screening' my phone calls a bit!!!

We have water! At least temporarily. I have been washing all the laundry that had piled up. I usually wash on Mondays so my daughter can do hers on weekends. A hot shower will feel so go later this evening.

We finally got to go paddling today and found a new place to explore; there's a chain of 'sometimes" lakes SE of Tallahassee (there's a sinkhole at the bottom of one of them, so sometimes it gets plugged up and the lakes fill with water, and sometimes the plug washes out and the lake water drains back underground into the aquifer). A lot of development has taken place in the area over the past 50+ years, including the CSX railroad, but the county has been working with the State DEP to restore what they can, and the State established a paddling/ canoe trail. We launched thinking we'd get to do some of the 5 miles of trail; we got to the portage over the full dike after one mile and the portage was all grown over and choked with water weed and muck for nearly 1/4 mile; I found a spot barely big enough I could pull in and get out and crwl up the bank without tearing it up, to see how it looked for portaging over the really steep place; the next lake was solid weed!, no open water that even our narrow kayaks could have threaded. We decided to explore the lake we were in, and I was having great fun watching all the local birds (egrets, several varieties of heron, ospreys and a bald eagle qne one lone wood stork, purple ganules, a grackle and two varieties of kingfisher) and paddling between the knees of the cypresses when something fell/ jumped into my lap. I paddled over to DH with my back balanced on the back of my kayak to keep my bottom off the seat, because every time I tried to sit down something wiggled! It turned out to be a fingerling fish, and he was able to retrive it (unsat upon) and return it to the water; but ever since one of our launches showed us a swimming water moccasin I get really skittish about things splashing the water next to my boat, and I share my cockpit with NOTHING!!!

Things to do today:

Clip Perla`s toenails

Fill out paperwork for school and social security

Get recyclables out to the curb

Figure out what is for dinner

Clean AC filters

Help Nat go thru her clothes to donate what she does not want anymore.

Fred is home and I am going to make a nice dinner. I know that mashed potatoes are on the list but I have to figure out what else to make.

Yesterday Chelsea and I made Monkey Munch. If you watch Jon&Kate plus 8 then you know what I am talking about. Here is the recipe if you are interested in making it.

I also wanted to share a recipe site with you all. It is a vegan site but you can easily substitute some of the vegan ingredients with regular protein. It has helped lower Fred`s and my cholestrol levels by using them. FatFreeVegan. You can type in ingredients and the site pops up different recipes that you can make.

I made this artichoke and pesto pasta salad last week for Chelsea and I. It was Soooo Good! You can substitute the nutritional yeast with grated parmesan. Fred loved it.

DH is in Tallahassee today to help DS#3 move some of his fiancee's stuff around. I finished the first layette & now I'm using up the leftover yarn making a little granny-square afghan. I'm also back to finding places for all my overflowing mini supplies!

The kids harvested their first batch of peas this morning. I have prepared about 40 beets for freezing so far. First batch is done, second is in the pot. Now I know what it's like to peel and slice hot beets. :lol: