What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Oh no Claudia! I hope someone can figure it out. Can you maybe use Google translater to muddle through?

We got back today from a 4-day trip to the North Georgia mountains with my mom and sister and families. My daughter couldn't make the first 2 days because of work, but she came up yesterday morning, I am so glad she was able to make it. We had some nice family time, and the kids got to play in the river and do some tubing. They all loved that! But I sure am happy to be back in my home with my shower and my bed!

We're beginning the last day of our New Orleans trip. Have visited many relatives, eaten wonderful food, and bought a statue of Buddha and a ceramic drum stool for the garden. Yes, we flew this time. Dear cousin Gloria is babysitting the purchases until we drive down in the fall.

Haven't had a chance to look at the Spring Fling gallery yet, am saving that for when we get home. Congrats to the winners, though ... certainly a hard choice for the judges!

Claudia, I read Russian ... minored in the language in college many years ago and remember more than I expect when I run into it now and then. Sorry I'm not closer to help. Are you near a college or university that offers the language? Someone from there may be able to help.

It has been very humid here that past few days. I have been basically hibernating kinda sorta. Just going about daily life while try to sweat minimally..LOL I did have to go out and water the yard garden and the community garden. I am enjoying some sugar snap peas (snack) as we speak. Yummy.

Tracy, you're on the wrong side of Atlanta from I-75! We'll probably go out of our way to avoid Atlanta, but I'll still yell & wave as we zap through.

One of the features of Cedar Key is how laid back it is! It's hard to realize we've already been here a week and will be going home tomorrow! Friday we thought about riding bikes into town, but the heat index was already triple digits before 1000 AM and we spent that days indoors. Saturday we piled into the truck and headed off to Cheifland (the nearest town with a Wally World and filling stations and a thrift store; Cedar Key is a fishing village with a State historical museum and lots of motels and seafood restaurants and clam farms) to run errands. Sunday we took the kayaks out into the Gulf amongst some of the barrier islands off of Shell Mound and paddled until the wind just got too brisk to go any further out. Monday we went in to Cedar Key. The museum has a lot of displays of local interest. Cedar Key got its name from all the cedar trees that used to grow here. Eberhart built a factory over on Atsena Otie (Seminole for "cedar key"), where the town was originally located (there's still a few bones in the cemetery over there, and the remains of a foundation or two) that finally closed when the last cedar tree was cut down and made into #2 pencils. (Didja know the graphite came from Siberia?) Anyway after that and a huge hurricane washed most of the original town out to sea it relocated to its present location. Yesterday on the spur of the moment we headed off to Gainesville, 50 miles away, for the day. I didn't have my list of phone #s, jeremy!

Today we're going to ride bikes at least for a little while and then start packing up for the trip home in the AM. I really kicked myself for forgetting my camera at the reunion, but nothing like since we came here! A yound couple set up their camper next door to us and right out in front of their front door is a HUMONGOUS cage and a treebranch mounted on a sturdy base for Sam, their pet macaw; and Sam's parents were a red macaw AND a blue macaw, so she is mostly blue and green with a GORGEOUS red-gold tummy! She opened her cage door and spends most of her time sitting on top of her cage, watching all the activities here at the campground, or else playing on her tree. I mentioned the red-point Siamese and Sam's daddy told us they also have two cats and a dog in their camper, and Sam has already set them straight!

I'm off to watch fireworks in the next hour and a half. The city (old suburb of Salt Lake City) has been trying to promote city identity and pride and started doing a grand fireworks display at my old high school (sadly closed a year ago). I've not been over for a couple of years because the old neighbors of mine (who happened to buy our old house when I was in third grade) moved away. I hate going to events by myself (the bane of the single person), so I've walked down the street and watched from a greater distance with trees blocking part of the show.

So I called up my dear friend of 37 years and she and her family will be watching from her parents front yard, so I'll be going to where there are plenty of familiar faces. :hug:

I'm off to watch fireworks in the next hour and a half. The city (old suburb of Salt Lake City) has been trying to promote city identity and pride and started doing a grand fireworks display at my old high school (sadly closed a year ago). I've not been over for a couple of years because the old neighbors of mine (who happened to buy our old house when I was in third grade) moved away. I hate going to events by myself (the bane of the single person), so I've walked down the street and watched from a greater distance with trees blocking part of the show.

So I called up my dear friend of 37 years and she and her family will be watching from her parents front yard, so I'll be going to where there are plenty of familiar faces. :hug:

Since all the cedar trees got cut down by Everhardt before the 1930s the major industry is clam farming (which will be totally wiped out and destroyed when the oil spill reaches here, along with the extensive beds of Gulf Oysters) and the locals are calling their July 4 celebration Clamerica! We plan to go and eat clams until they come out our ears, then stay to watch the fireworks. So far this AM I see blue sky, sunlight and WHITE clouds.

Pouring rain here again today. We got over 2 inches yesterday and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. We were not planning to go the 4th celebration. it's sooo crowded and mostly just junk food booths. But I'm sorry for the people who were looking forward to it, and hope it stops in time for the fireworks tomorrow!

We had LOTS of clouds, but hopped on the bike/ trike anyway and rode the 5 miles in to Cedar Key to hike the little 0.6 mile trail that is all that's left of the railroad trestle that led to the terminus of the first great railroad line from Jacksonville/ Fernandina Beach to Cedar Key. The local folks missed out on an opportunity to have it made into a rail trail, such as so many places here have done, and now prosper from all the trailside outfitters and bistros that have started up to supply the cyclists and hikers who use these trails.

We're planning to go into Cedar Key tomorrow to eat clams and then come home before the fireworks.

Well, it finally looks as if summer is visiting these parts of the world, this alst week has had gradually "better" weather as in sun and warmth which we have fully enjoyed.

We are now "oficcially" living in the new house as we transferred our adress etc with the authorities which feels great, well be leaving the keys to the new owners on the 21st so there is no stress involved there either. The major thing is that we will keep a lot of our stuff in a storage facility while we keep renovating this house so there has been some "planning" in this and we will get some carrying help from my parents come Tuesday. Another couple of weeks and no more "back-and-forthing" between the two places, yay!!!

I had a a little run in with the garage door (which opens over head and is a solid door no folding...) which dropped on my right should which has been really annoying and painful, some minor cracks in the outer shoulder bone area and muscle ligaments that tore so it is a bother to say the least. The bruising is finally fading and it IS starting to heal, I am still not able to lift anything much and it is still a pain but atleast it is getting better and I am trying to move it as much/slow and gentle as possible...

So that is where I have been latley, packing and planning and it is finally getting there. Have had a lot of fun packing away the craft room deciding which things will go with me right away and what goes in the boxes thinking of all the fun I will have unpacking the minis once again and filling the houses. The houses will go with me though, DH built me a storage shelf for them that we have wrapped up in plastic sheeting so that they will be protected from dust and stuff yet still visible and here... Hubby is a sweetheart!!! :hug: He knew I would be miserable without them so he suggested the shelf to hold them all.

Hugs

Been doing more "delicate" work now that I can see better and depth perception is improving. Drove for the second time today and feeling a little more confident about it. Will take it slow and easy and stay out of heavy traffic for the time being. Drove to the grocery store earlier this week and was really nervous. It went fine but I still was uncomfortable. I have refused to do any driving even though the doctor says there is no reason why I can't. Just need to build up my self confidence. Do not know whether the oil will be removable in the far future, but if not I can live with what I have now. It is such a relief that the retina seems to finally be cooperating and healing. Final check up on next Tuesday for clearance for the trip to NAME National.

So I called up my dear friend of 37 years and she and her family will be watching from her parents front yard, so I'll be going to where there are plenty of familiar faces. :hug: .....

Did you enjoy the evening? I love fireworks!

....We are now "oficcially" living in the new house as we transferred our adress etc with the authorities which feels great,....

......I had a a little run in with the garage door (which opens over head and is a solid door no folding...) which dropped on my right should which has been really annoying and painful, some minor cracks in the outer shoulder bone area and muscle ligaments that tore so it is a bother to say the least. ......

Ouch Anna! And also congratulations on the move, lucky you getting to keep some of your houses on display - I am hoping I'll be able to build a shelf like that if we get our own house. - Chris' diy skills are rather underdeveloped, so I'll be making it rather than him!

Been doing more "delicate" work now that I can see better and depth perception is improving....

Whoohoo! :p

I'm quite sure my car has a slow puncture in the front tire, just such a hassle! Went over a pot hole that appeared suddenly on Friday. Forgot to check how my wheel was until Saturday after work when it was rather deflated. Filled it up with air again - a very nice gentleman offered his help - and as it was Saturday evening and all the garages were shut I decided it would be ok to drive home. Today it was somewhat deflated again, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday, so then the debate was do I leave it until tomorrow and risk it being too low to drive and have to change to the spare wheel. Or do I take it to the garage and have them sort it today. Or do I fill it up again today (20 mile round trip) and tomorrow morning hope it is still leaking at the same rate as today and still ok to drive to the Peugeot garage where I bought the car and have had them do the work, as it also has developed squeeky breaks over the last couple weeks and they can look at that too. Debated and decided to fill the tire and sort it out tomorrow at the peugeot garage. But got a course at the hospital tomorrow at 9:30, so will have to get to the garage early so I can either get a courtesy car or they'll be done by the time I've gotta leave for the hospital. Hassle!

I've done the balcony walkway for the village hall and made the beams for the roof, next I think will be to paint the inside. Good job for today!

Cheesecake done, ribs marinating, rolls rising, hickory chips soaking, DH has shucked all the corn and is cutting cantaloupe. Still have to bake the beans, but that won't take long. I'm glad we don't have holidays every weekend, it's a lot of cooking!

If it was just us, I wouldn't cook either, Holly! I'm having to send a ton of leftovers home with them so that they don't go bad before we can eat them. Why do we always cook more than we can possibly eat, on holidays?

Why do we always cook more than we can possibly eat, on holidays?

So that for the next day or two we can chill out and recover and not worry about cooking! :hug: I'm jealous of your feast! Wasn't prepared enough this year to do a 4th feast - think working on the 3rd messed it up!

Speaking of food, the highlight of my day was walking out my apt. building's front door straight into the farmer's market held in the street every Sunday during the summer. My first time there this year and I overspent as always. BUT I came home with: lovely head of Savoy cabbage, beautiful fresh spinach and baby beet greens (both picked this morning), new undried (green stems) white onions, spring asparagus, Bing cherries, Queen Anne (or or they Rainiers?) cherries, big blushing apricots, a thyme plant, more cherries.....Did I say I'm a pig about cherries when they are fresh off the tree?? Can't wait until it's time for the melons, peaches and nectarines, peppers and squash. Soon, soon....:hug:

Lol, yes, it is strange celebrating Independence day here, but the excuse is 'getting rid of that troublesome colony' :hug:

It isn't really celebrated much here, the radio stations may play a few extra songs about america, but certainly no feasts normally. - Maybe just an excuse to have a bbq.

My mum was born in America and so I feel partly american and also lived there for a year, so have slightly more reason to celebrate, but I look on it as a day to celebrate being american rather than celebrating being independent from britain :p

Well came home from the course at the hospital on Monday afternoon with a sore throat - just at the top where my tongue rubs every time I swallow. This is normally a sign I'm getting ill. Felt the same Tuesday morning, so not too bad and went to work. By lunch I'm sure I had a fever and felt all achey. Got home and had a temperature. Slept dreadfully, up quite a few times, banging headache and temperature seemed to be highest this morning. Didn't to into work today, slept quite a bit of it and the rest just lay on the sofa watching tv. Chris had a day out and about checking how his tutees were doing at their work experience locations, so popped in a few times to check I was ok. Felt a bit better towards the end of the afternoon, though slowly getting a bit worse again now into the later evening. Temperature is just about normal now (99F), but throat is worse and headache back.

I did throughout the day put the village hall back into dry fit after painting some of the walls and beams last week. So while I've been on the sofa I've been looking at it and figuring out the lighting, doors and floors.

Hopefully I'll sleep better now and will be back at work tomorrow all better. Nighty night!

Poor Muriel, I hope you feel much better in the morning.

My son got his driver's license last week, and today I sent him to the store for the first time. It seems strange that it took so long. When I was 8 we lived in the city, and my mom was sending me to the delicatessens all the time. Sometimes I sent one of my 2 older kids to the convenience store for bread or milk, it was right at the entrance to our suburban neighborhood. With my youngest. though, the closest "grocery" store is over a half mile away and sells gourmet food like brie and wines.

Anyway, today he drove to the supermarket for rolls and milk.

When he came home he said he bought the long sub style rolls instead of the round ones because all the round ones were past their expiration date. Who'd have thought a 16 year old boy would think of checking for the expiration date? I guess he's a keeper. :cry: