What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I LOVE the groom! Will the bride wear a copy of your dress, veil and SHOES!? Also, the muffins in the red polka-dot papers look like jalapeno cornbread muffins (YUMMY!!!).

Quiet day at home today, errands tomorrow, including a funeral home visitation for one of our hiking friends; he had a fatal heart attack on a hike Saturday. I think either hiking on the trail through the woods or paddling a gorgeous river or lake in the glory of nature is not a bad way to go out; beats heck out of lying in a hospital bed tied up to machines.

Those made me hungry! The elephants are adorable!

I just mowed my "weeds" known as my backyard. What a workout with a push mower!

I am trying to think of something to do to cheer Stan up. He is house bound and can't even take a nice walk or go for a ride in the car right now. I am sure he is sick to death of the tv but I can't think of anything new. Maybe he can play cards or something . Ideas?

I am trying to think of something to do to cheer Stan up. He is house bound and can't even take a nice walk or go for a ride in the car right now. I am sure he is sick to death of the tv but I can't think of anything new. Maybe he can play cards or something . Ideas?

Does he enjoy books? Maybe books on tape from the library would be a bit of a change. He can rest his eyes and relax while he listens.

Does he have an interest in minis? I'll bet you could find something in that line for him to work on.

There's always computer solitaire, but it can be wearing to sit in one place for too long if you're not feeling up to par.

BF is gone to Germany for two weeks, then another week in New Hampshire/Vermonth immediately after that trip to do site visits for the Department of Education (seeing where all the federal grant money went to the school districts). Things were going fine in week one, until I got a call from the apartment mgmt while at work. Apparently several of the complex residents' vehicles were broken into, vandalized, and had items stolen. Unfortunately, management identified one of the vehicles that got vandalized belonged to BF.

So spent yesterday (Tuesday) morning letting my boss know that I need to head home, and had to endure a 1.5 hr subway ride from Maryland back to my apartment in Virginia just so I can speak with the police officer handling the investigation. Had to use BF's car keys to open his SUV to see if anything was missing -- officer said the thieves were aiming for GPS devices and small electronics. Was able to find his GPS under the driver's seat but his iPod accessories were all gone (as well other things like his cigars and the mini tool set I got him). Was relieved to find his registration and other vehicle info intact as well.

Once I reported what was missing to the police, had to email BF since he can't take or make international calls. Considering there's a 6 hr difference between us, I didn't get a response from him until almost several hours later. He can't call his car insurance company while in Frankfurt, so he emailed me an authorization message to handle all matters regarding his car. Ended up calling Geico and provided his note as proof of permission. Just hoping now, the company will process the claim and send someone to replace the window soon. Ended up spending the rest of the afternoon taking pictures of the damage, double checking if anything else was stolen (and call the officer), sweeping up the broken glass....and sealing the window up with tape and plastic sheeting.

Gosh, what a stressful week so far! Just hope the police find out the folks responsible for this. All my neighbors said items stolen ranged from unopened toys, shopping bags full of recently purchased merchandise, GPS, iPod stuff....and even cash of all things. :blink:

What a horrid thing to happen Daphne! Sending hugs and hope the rest of your week gets so much better!

Holly, yes, there's jalapenos in some, olives in others, cheese, corn, spicy, plain.... lots of options and mixes!

gallery_2387_3440_71712.jpg

Thankfully her dress is long enough to cover her shoes! :blink:

The dress is made from material cut off my dress. Couldn't find any appropriate lace in my village, so didn't make her the lace jacket, and my dress has sparkles along the bust, but I just put plain lace on hers. Did do the lace up back though!

gallery_2387_3440_25792.jpg

gallery_2387_3440_37320.jpg

gallery_2387_3440_25151.jpg

gallery_2387_3440_87394.jpg

He can't see out of one eye and today he had a setback and couldn't see out of the good one. This is a HORRIBLE disease! He isn't into books but he might be soon if he can't do much. I was thinking of getting him a little mp3 player and downloading music he likes into it. I don't own one but it might be nice.

Roxxie, an MP3 player is a great idea! You can download music and such directly from online onto one, most audiobooks can also be downloaded to an MP3 player. You might be surprised how much Stan might enjoy listening to books being read/acted - he may not be much of a reader, but just about everyone still loves to be told a good bedtime story! Your local library probably has a pretty good collection of audiobooks, either on CD or cassette, most libraries do.

Here's hoping he starts to feel better really soon. :blink:

Muriel, your little elephants have turned out just as cute as can be! Will Chris be wearing the silk hat?

Roxy, how's Stan's appetite? Maybe taking him some of his favorite food will help. Definitely the audio books, or old radio shows on CD can be entertaining.

Roxie

How is Stan with old movies? Even tho his sight is bothering him now he could listen and the larger figures on the tv screen might be easier to see. Fix him a movie basket. Some old movies, microwave popcorn, some candy, peanuts etc

My daughter is graduated! WooHoo! After the ceremony she actually brought a few friends home, and she was happy and smiling. ;) She graduated with Honors, and an A average. Yea Anslee! I was so happy I didn't even cry, just almost when they first came out on the field, and a little when they mentioned the three kids in their class that weren't around to graduate. :p

Now, just a couple of months, and we can move her on to college. And she finally decided on a major this week (nursing), we'll see if it sticks.

I am so glad to have these last 2 weeks over, they have been exhausting with the end of school and all 3 kids moving up to the next level of school, we had all kinds of awards and ceremonies. Tomorrow I will pack, then Sunday my husband and I are going away for the first time ever, this week (in the middle of everything) was our 15th anniversary. I'm so excited!

WooHoo Tracy!!

I have some great news!

The hospital has decided that they are going to allow the worker`s children that are over the age of 19-26 to go back on their parents plans. They did not scream non profit (or they did and it did not matter)

After 2 long years, Chelsea will have insurance again in January!! Yay!

Big sigh of relief.

That has to help, Heidi!

I'm finishing up the 1:24 kitchen items for the Fairfields and then work on baseboards to finish up the houses. The weather's still too unsettled for picture-taking, so I figure I may as well wait until I have the build as done as it will be for a while.

anxiously awaiting wedding photos soon, Muriel! The little pachyderm couple is precious! Best Wishes!

Kellan (youngest son) graduates HS this coming Thursday.

I started drawing an iris today from a photo Christopher took in our front yard. Missing a few colors I need in the prismacolors. I HAVE them somewhere, and they can't have gone far from our bedroom! No one else uses them, so it is...me! OR, there could be a cat involved. The Demon Alexandra knocks stuff off counters and under furniture. Had to stop leaving small things (like contact lens case) on flat surfaces she can get to.

post-2290-1275162236_thumb.jpg

Oooooh, it's pretty!! Can't wait to see the finished drawing. ;)

Sneaky little devils, those cats. Mine has started to come up to "visit" with me on my work table only recently, but so far he hasn't stolen/knocked anything off - yet.

Am hobbling around today pretty badly because I had a little impromptu surgery on my foot yesterday. About a month ago apparently the sole of my left foot just, well, split open to the tune of a gash nearly two inches long; I didn't know it for a while since I have almost no feeling in my feet. When I did realize of course I cleaned it and kept it bandaged etc., but a couple of days ago it started to really hurt and I got scared enough to go to the local clinic about it. Folks, I really dodged a bullet here - it was NOT infected, but it really was a mess - this horrid, wide-open thing that was at least healing, but slowly. So the doctor cleaned it and removed all the nasty dead stuff, told me what to do for it and to come back in a week. And thank heavens, he also agreed to be my primary care physician, something I've pretty much been without here in this lovely rural area with very few doctors to start with and none willing to take new patients.

So that foot booboo was lucky for me in a weird sort of way - it woke me up to the fact that I have GOT to pay attention to what's happening down there, be a lot more careful, AND it got me a doctor finally! :p

Thank you, Mary!

Hope your foot heals very soon! A good doctor you can talk to, and who really listens, is a godsend! We have one and may have to follow him if he ever retires. Good luck and rest!

Roxie, if he DOES like books check with your local library and see if they own Playaways. These are preloaded mp3 units that simply need a set of earbuds (our library sells the buds for $1). They are tiny and very easy to use.

I finally had a chance to get down to my craft room today, I hadn't been down there in a couple of weeks!! Life has been pretty busy, with the trip to the new town to visit DH and showing the house, good news though we have found renters which is a huge relief!! So the move is scheduled for June 29th and the renters move in on July 1st!! Anyway I have decided on a scrapbook paper for the kitchen floor, I just need to make a template for it. I'm having trouble finding flooring I like for the bathroom that will go with the wallpaper I chose. I will keep looking I'm sure something will pop out at me eventually! I finished the flooring for the master bedroom and installed it, and the boys bedroom floor just needs to be stained and varnished then it can be installed as well. I didn't have enough wallpaper for the dining room so one wall is not done, I am contemplating just painting that wall to match the color of the wallpaper sort of like an accent wall, but then I'm wondering if I do that in the dining room, should I do that in the two hallways above it as well...hmm decisions, decisions!!! I would really love to post some pictures of my progress, to get some feedback from all you wonderfully talented people, but I just cannot get the pictures uploaded on my computer for the life of me!! I am so bad with computer stuff my husband always does it!! I will keep trying maybe I will get lucky with it one of these times, trouble is I may get it to work but will I be able to repeat it??

Muriel,

I was looking in a Dolls House magazine today and saw a company who turn your own wedding album into a mini album. The first copy is £15 and subsequent copies are quite a bit cheaper. But, then I thought - Muriel can probably do this herself anyways - I've seen some of your stuff and you are really smart with photos and printies etc. Just though it would be a nice idea to include one if you build your dream home in mini.

Ouch, Mary! Three suggestions from an elderly hiker, here, to help care for your feet: sturdy shoes with ankle support, clean white socks, preferably wool, and moleskin until all your owies are healed up, and then Body Glide on the soles of your feet and the tops of your toes. My idea of barefoot is a pair of Birkenstock Rappaports, otherwise hiking sandals (regular hiking boots for actual hiking on surfaces that aren't perfectly flat or level). Even if you aren't a hiker, foot care is IMPORTANT.

So I've found out, Holly.! ;) About socks, well, I've been knitting or crocheting my own for quite a while and always, always use wool yarn - they just feel nicer and I can get just the right size and all. About footgear: I have a pair of women's Redwing workboots that I usually use as snowboots in the winter, but they're about all I can fit that foot+bandage+ace wrap into right now, so guess I'll be wearing them this summer, too. And that funny looking pair of blue rubber sandals a friend gave me last summer, turns out those are Birkenstocks! Perfect for when I go out in the garden!

I've never heard of Body Glide, will have to check that out. For anyone looking for a great natural healing ointment, check out Burt's Bees Rescue Ointment. Not only does it smell great, it's the only thing I've put on this wound that actually made it stop hurting! :p

Most of my hiking socks are a wool/ Spandex blend, and most of my clothes any more are artificial fiber fabrics that allow air to circulate and DRY quickly; I only wear cotton in the Winter when I'm not being physically active, and not on my feet. We hike a lot more in cool/ cold weather, and even if you step in water wool socks will keep your feet warm if they get wet (I wear them under my neoprene boots when we paddle in the Winter). Body Glide comes in a stick, like deodorant, and is a specific anti-chafing product we first discovered bicycling and originally only found it in bicycle shops. We began finding it at hiking/ outdoor sports outfitters, and in the past year our local Sports Authority has begun to carry it.

Pooh, there was a bicycle shop here in town, but they went out of business about six months ago. This wretched economy....But I'll find it somewhere else for sure. Sounds like something worth having.

Another thing I've decided is a necessity is a hiking stick. Found some good websites selling them for not a lot of money - good-looking turned hickory, sasafrass or other woods for pretty reasonable prices. A rubber tip will be fine during the summer, but for walking on the usual winter ice/snow I'm gonna want to add that ice-gripper thingee on the end. Hey, it'll be a step up for me - I've been doing all my around town walking either holding on to my granny grocery cart or if I'm really having foot/hip/whatever trouble, I'm out there with my walker. It'll be a real treat to be holding onto a handsome walking staff instead!

Today i cleaned my craft room...threw out heaps of 'stuff' that i'll never use... :p all that recycled stuff i reclaimed from the bin....its gone back in the bin ;)

I decided to make the room pretty and inviting work in and it now boasts a sort of shabby chic theme :p ...well 1/2 of it does :lol:.... i'm pooped...i'll do the other half tomorrow :wave:

What do you think :D

Mary, that's funny, my first hiking stick (and favorite) is sassafras, I still use a hiking stick for level terrain. For hills I got a pair of hiking poles

gallery_8_1986_21063.jpg

I've about worn out, that were on sale at our outfitter. I learned from this year's nine-day Panhandle Trace Hike that Body Glide isn't as good on a "hot" spot as it is on intact, unirritated skin; moleskin is the stuff to use on tender places to minimize blisters. And even with the thick wool socks and excellently fitted hiking boots I still lost four toenails (they're all growing back, fortunately), so next year I'll probably slap moleskin on the tops of my toes.

BTW, those vests are actually Day-Glo orange, and on the backs they read: "Don't Shoot! I am a Hiker"