What are you up to today? This week?

Today I am crying. I got up this morning around 3:30 and was peacefully doing my email when I heard a big "crack." I ran downstairs and my 15 foot rubber tree in the living room had torn out the drapery rods from the wall and was lying broken on the carpet. I cut the plant way back and put it back in the corner as I know it will grow again, and cut some of the branches about 2' long and stuck those in water so they will root....and cleaned up the mess. Then I took all the gunky rubber covered branches out to the burn pile. I'm so depressed! This tree has been with me for about 17 years! It's like a pet to me.....but it will grow again....probably faster too! LOL

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havanaholly

• KathieB

• heidiiiii

• Anna

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each pa

The appointment with the osteo went very well. He looked, listened and paid attention and when I had questions, he answered them. And when I asked him if he saw the root cause he immediately said,

Good morning! Little Jude came ahead of his scheduled c-section date and arrived yesterday! He is so incredibly wonderful, sweet baby slept in peoples arms all day long yesterday.

Posted Images

Oh sorry Gina, I have lost a hanging plant or two that I have had for several years. Gravity can have that effect! We have been having bad thunder and lightening storms with heavy rain here for the past two days. Half of the valley is without electricity and cable. Also flood warnings in the lower areas.

Supposed to be another hot & possibly stormy day today... or at least the last I checked they were calling for a pop up storm. I need to rearrange my Living room, and and my dining room..... do a few loads of laundry.... sweep the entire house..... and possibly sit down for a few and work on the San Fran. It quit talking to me the other day. I have no idea why, I did everything it asked for so far.....

Kellee

Still battling the heap of laundry from our trip but it is slowly but truly starting to diminish and we will be saying goodbye to Molly the traveller tomorrow morning as well, we are writing the finishing pages in the diary and then she is mostly packed and ready to go to the next host.

Hugs

Oh Gina...that is sad. I have two plants that are older then Natalie. A wandering jew and a boston fern. I think I would be very upset if they died on me.

I think the saddest plant death was my Mother`s boston fern. I gave it to her for Mother`s Day when I was 8 yrs old. When she passed away, I brought it home and it died on me. That plant was over 20 yrs old! I guess it missed her.

Cooler today. Keeping an eye on TS Cristobal. Projected path is out to sea but it is too close for comfort right now.

I feel better today. Less humidity makes me a happy camper. Going to go out and water the garden and see if my first tomato is ripe yet...It was turning yesterday.

Thank you Heidi and all......I'm wearing black today. However the tree roots and large trunks are not dead. They are still in the pot well watered and in a shady corner where it will begin to form two branches from each stem...so there will be 4 new branches in total. Plus I took about 2' of 4 of the original branches and cut them down at an angle and put them in water. With luck they will root and I'll have more rubber trees than I can take care of! Now Boston Ferns have fine hair-like roots and once they ar without water for even a day, they start to die. When more than sufficient roots have died, the plant begins to die. Ferns are tough in a way, especially Boston ferns, but also very sensitive to their water and environment. Your mother probably had the fern in it's ideal spot and gave it the nourishment it was needing. When you brought it home, it had a new place, new water, new nourishment, and perhaps the wrong area to live in. Each plant has different light requirements and water and food requirements. To have had a fern over 20 years old thriving in the house meant that it was in the most perfect place for that plant. Don't blame yourself Heidi. My African Violets bloom all year long, whereas my neighbor's up and die soon after she gets them. I have mine in my northeast window where they get about an hour's worth of sun in the early morning, and then bright light the rest of the day. Her only windows faced south and west....way too much sun and light for African Violets. Also mine thrive in those violet pots you find at Home Depot and Lowe's......the double pots where water and nutrients are in the bottom pot, and the violets in the top section. And they are on humidity trays as well. In the wild African Violets live under other plants along streams and brooks, where they get moisture and humidity and limited sun. Most of our "house plants" have come from wild stock...if you can find out how they lived and thrived in the wild, you can successfully grow those plants. You really don't have black thumbs - just a lack of knowledge as to what your plants need to live. Our lovely houseplants are weeds where they originally came from. Tough weeds, and lovely to behold.

Orchids for instance. Those are tough plants - in the wild. Find out how they live in the wild and you will have success. Treat them as exotics giving them what you perceive they need - and you will fail. Do the time to find out about them, and you can grow them with major success in your home. The orchids I grow come from South America and Australia. They grow high on the slopes of mountains in dappled sunlight from the tree canopy getting rain water and bird droppings for moisture....they cling to the bark of trees. So I am duplicating their conditions in my home from the wild. They are in a southwest window with bright sun almost all afternoon - but I have hung a piece of 45% shade cloth on the outside of that window tacking it in place with nails providing the kind of shade it would get in the tree canopy. I water them with rainwater and mist them daily - not an exact duplicate of their natural environment - but such a substitution that they are thriving. The nutrients are similar to bird droppings and it's in the rain water that I use for them. They are happy campers.

This is why I have a houseful of thriving and healthy plants - Doug objects to this, he would love to see them all gone, and yes, he rejoiced that the rubber tree is gone.

Nuff of the plant lessons....if you need more information, send me a PM.....LOL

Wolfie, loved the flower talk!!!

As for me, the washing machine is humming, the dishes are clean, the grass it cut and I have done the grocery shopping for most of the week so phew! Now I am trying my darndest LOL to figure out a place to purchase those "thing"/skinny wooden coffee :dunno: stirrer sticks somewhere around here as sheesh the shipping is killing me so to speak... I think they would work perfectly for the look I am going for in the LE Arthur kitchen but so far no luck in finding those over here, just the ordinary icecream ones and they are to wide I think...

Oh well, does anyone have a brand name that I can search for perhaps?!?

Hugs

I got a very nice post card in the mail from Greece! Thank you Anna! I love getting mail that does not require me to send a check back..LOL

Last night we were watching Anthony Bourdain (Saudi Arabia). They had a contest for you to ask him to take you on one of his trips and you picked the place.

I was a bit mad. I could have done that and I would have picked Sweden! I would have shown him my freezer full of meat to show that i am NOT a vegetarian..LOL I can drink mighty men under the table. It would have been really fun and Anna could have gotten to be on tv too. I hope they do this next year. I will enter for sure.

I think the mini mood is coming back. The humidity has lifted a bit today. May start testing colors on the Pomeroy today.

Fred has to help me lift it on the table.

Fred put a bid on a part time job. Cleaning a woman`s condo once a week. He is thinking of the charges right now. In this area, cleaners charge $30-50 per hour. I told him $30 sounded good. If any harder jobs are asked like cleaning the fridge..that would be an extra $20 for that specific job.

Windows are open so I am going to clean all the AC filters and enjoy the breezes today.

Today I am worried. We have our first fire here already! The helicoptors are out buzzing around but they carry no buckets yet.....and that is heartening. I'm photographing all of my minies and putting them on CD's to take with me in case we are evacuated out. Call me nervous!

Crossing fingers and toes and hoping Mother Nature gets off her butt to send you some rain!

The humidity is sooooo low today (ahhhh!) I am going to clean the fridge! Fred has the day off today..big surprise so we are going to have taco dinner.

Fred does NOT have the day off today. It was a misprint on the schedule. They called at 4pm to wonder where he was. He starts work at 2pm so he lost two hours. He probably wont be home until 1am tonite.

Nat and I are eating some rocky road ice cream and I am going to take a long shower. Nice cool breeze blowing thru the windows tonite.

Ahhhh!

I started working on the Pomeroy house today. It is on the table, taped and I started working on colors. I think it is going to be a light-med green with a creamy trim and a copper roof.

Woke up to a thunderstorm.

We are getting some MUCH needed rain. The basement flooded a lil bit but I am not the only one on the street. It has been so dry for so long that I am not surprised. It is okay though..everything is protected down there.

My plants outside will be very happy to get a nice long cool drink.

Painting the Pomeroy house bit by bit. I am in the mood to bake today because of the weather. I think I have choco chips in the cabinet. I have to remember that I have to make a hair appt for Natalie soon. School starts on the 28th of August. Ohh! Have to call her guidance counselor also so she can check Nat`s schedule for this year.

I started back to work this week. It's kicking my butt! It's very hard to get back into getting up at 4 am and the physical aspect of the job is hard. I've actually only worked 2 days (missed one day due to staying up late with my Molly the cat situation). but it's exhausting just doing what i have. I've taken alot of naps this week ...lol...I work again tomorrow then have the weekend off. I thought about volunteering to work on saturday, but next week is my long week (mon,tues, thurs,fri, sat which are 10 and 11 hour + shifts), so I think i will just enjoy having my 2 day weekend. I'll be bushed after tomorrow anyway so may as well relax.

This week I completed laying tile in my Granville. I just need to lay wood flooring in 2 rooms on the 3rd floor then i'll be done with the flooring! I'll take photos this weekend.

The four of us went to a matinee today. We saw the X-files movie. Chelsea and I were glued to the screen..Nat and Fred..not so much.

I guess if you are a X-files fan then you will like it.

I forgot I rented a couple $1 rentals today also. Nat and Fred are watching 21 and I just finished watching Jane Austen`s book club.

Going to relax now. I am going to help my friend pack tomorrow for her move next week. I will not help with move but I can do this.

Anyone want to see MF?

Here is a pic of him from last month.....MonsterFace.

You can see him when he was a wee one in MY greenleaf page. He is a hefty boy. He is bigger then Perla. Still sweet as can be though...except for the fact he is mad I took over his hideaway..the Pom house.

I've been working on the Adams diligently for the past couple of days. I'm a serious procrastinator, so want to get it done early (hopefully). Two of our cars broke down this week, so they are going into the shop. I have a feeling we have to replace at least one of them. One of them our son uses to get to and from work, so we are figuring out rides for him with our crazy schedules. The other is my DH's "extra" truck which we got for free from his brother. They are both older vehicles, so not a shock, other than both breaking down at the same time. :whistle:

I have been working on some miniature houses DH and I have created for in the garden. So many ideas, so little time - especially when you get the idea mid-summer :whistle: :D , but they sure are fun to do! The possibilities seem endless.

Busy Day today... I need to do laundry, Move our bedroom around, print out 50 invitations for a friends wedding, Build a shelf, clean up the living room (it has become a construction site... I have front loaders, forklifts, excavators and dump trucks.... Oh, Great, The Superintendent of the construction site just showed up... Maybe I can get him to move his site to his BEDROOM!!! )

and then I am going to build a shelf for the basement and play Mousetrap with the construction superintendent after his construction site is moved out of my Living Room!

Oh and maybe be able to meet a lady with a DC farmhouse !!! I cant wait to get my hands on it.. needs some work but I love doing rehabbs and as you know I Have a construction outfit right here in my living room soon to move to his BEDROOM!!! so any excavating, or demolishion is on site already!!

Hugs

Kellee

Hello Everyone I havent been online too much lately been VERY busy between work 4 kids animals and vactions. We had a blast at Darien lake and stayed a extra day. Iam trying to get the house work caught up but that is endless. I have been very busy at work with the kids starting back to college and then I have to get my 4 ready to go back to school soon. I havent really had too much time to work on any dollhouse stuff this summer seeing my apartment is getting crowded my boyfriend and his daughter have practically moved in so things are great there. Next week I work 3 days and then back on vaction camping for the next 4 days. I picked up a tent at work for my son on clearance for 20 it can fit up to 3 people in not a bad deal. I hope everyone is well and cant wait to get back into my minis which hopefully will be soon.

Today is another day with perfect summer weather, blue sky just a little hint of breeze and all in all lovley LOL. So I better get off my behind and take care of the grass and do some weeding before it gets to hot, nothing compared to hot in other places but around 85-90F so it isn't that bad LOL.

ANd then it is the usal chores doing the dishes, another load of laundry but now atleast it isn't the tidying up after the trip, it is just the ordinary laundry, phew.

Then after that I hope to get to do a little something mini-ing, perhaps start up making some more books as I can sit outside in the shade doing the prep work for that, it is to early to be doing any actual mini-ing in the craftroom as that has had the sun since the early mornig and it is a bit stuffy in there eventhough I keep the shades down... Oh well, better get to the lawn mower thingy now then!

Hugs

Today is another day with perfect summer weather, blue sky just a little hint of breeze and all in all lovley LOL. So I better get off my behind and take care of the grass and do some weeding before it gets to hot, nothing compared to hot in other places but around 85-90F so it isn't that bad LOL.

Great. How hot does it get in Sweden? I always wonder how hot your part of the globe gets this time of year? Do you have a short growing season?

I want to vent about my day...Can i?

It is a in-law vent. Nice Saturday morning. Went to the grocery store to pick up supplies to make cupcakes. Chels is going to a cook out with her Buddhist group and wanted to bring dessert. She paid for half the supplies and said Thank you afterward. I didnt mind doing it because I have been in the baking mood. There were even four cupcakes left that would not fit in the box. Perfect for us four. They are vegan but I swear by this recipe because you cannot tell. And I used store bought frosting (too humid to make it). Vanilla with cherry filling and white frosting.

Anyway.. I am in a good mood. Fred goes down the street to get paper and comes back with news. A friend he saw asked him if he knew what time his mom and pop were coming to town today. HUH?!?!? They were coming down for a picnic only a few streets away.

HUH!?!?!

No call. No email. Nothing...as usual. I told the family to fan out. Pick up the big junks. I aint looking for perfection. We cleaned the downstairs and I became a nervous wreak (the females of the clan can get a bit witchy and I was going to have to face that w/o Fred. I might say something I shouldnt). Oh gosh. Is the WHOLE family coming?

(Fred is oldest of six and there are cousins by the dozens).

We hate this. All four of us utterly hate it. The girls are old enough to form their own opinions and they are on our side.

So I wasn't going to be able to go anywhere in case they showed. Fred worked tonight.

They never came....

No call. No show. Like they were never here. See what I mean.

So when I make a MIL joke..I really mean it.

Okay..that feels better. I needed to say it out loud (so to speak).

But the cupcakes came out great and we spent the day together. Tomorrow I am going to teach Natalie the fine art of completely emptying a fridge and cleaning it all out. Wish me luck.

Feel free to vent anytime, Heidi. That's what we're all here for. Believe me, I understand about the whole in-law situation. My MIL likes to show up on very little or no notice. I'm not the best housekeeper (and that's putting it nicely), so just the thought stresses me out!

I have to work today, but am suffering from (sorry to the guys out there) "hormonal insomnia". It's going to be a long day at work. I'd much rather have "mini insomnia". :lol:

F I'm not the best housekeeper (and that's putting it nicely), so just the thought stresses me out!

I have to work today, but am suffering from (sorry to the guys out there) "hormonal insomnia". It's going to be a long day at work. I'd much rather have "mini insomnia". :lol:

I do not have insomnia. I have a stress headache. Could not sleep. Chelsea is leaving at 9am, so I will stay up until then and go back to sleep for a cat nap.

I am with you on housekeeping. I know how to do it, I can make a room look really spiffy but I just cannot maintain it anymore. The first thought when he said his mama was coming..*Where is the vacuum cleaner??*