What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Since neither I or DH are able to do so we had someone come and dig out our tree from storage and set it up for me yesterday. I will try and get the decorations up this week. Finished up the shopping (bless the internet) late last month.

One fur kid has to go to the vet tomorrow for surgery to clean up a previous surgery site (done before we got her) and it is not clear whether it is scar tissue or regrowth of the tumor.

Still cannot do any miniing with no depth perception but hope eye will improve enough to start back on the Story Book furniture kits before Christmas.

Been a busy body today! Done two loads of laundry, a dishwasher full (still gotta put it away) and tidied the sitting room. We normally sit on the sofa, but as there are only two of us, we don't need the whole thing... so something gets left on the sofa in the way, and we wanna sit down, so it gets shoved down to the third seat area. And then more gets shoved down there.... and more... so I tidied all that stuff away and also the coffee table which is usually piled high with stuff. Got the hoover out, will do that shortly, then put up some of our christmas decorations. It is getting to look presentable! :p

We've got mexican rice tonight with chicken, so hopefully good and warming. It is very grey, dark and miserable outside!

Fred took Nat to her Dr appt this morning. I just finished cooking some bacon and watering the plants. I am doing better but only a tiny bit. Every day I can stand on my feet a little bit longer.

Dealing with my inlaws is a pain in the butt. Long story short..they want to throw a party in Jan. for his Mother`s 60th. I think this one sister is organizing it. She waited until first week of Oct. to tell us about it. Then never mentioned it again. Then emails me a week after my surgery asking for the money. She is mad because I am in pain and cannot go..or something.

She is mad because we are not doing what she says. She sent me a very long and nasty email yesterday. I was about to run to the store to get a cigarette. I swear I was!

Fred is going to call his Mom today. He is tired of it all. He has always been tired of it but I think after the email..he is going to actually voice it. This sister blamed me for Fred and the girls never wanting to have anything to do with the family.

I knew it!

Long long sorted history between Fred and his Mom. He deserves to be mad at her for an eternity.

Okay..that was not supposed to be a vent but I think I bottled it up and had to let it out. Feel better now.

Heidi, family issues always are magnified at the holidays. Yesterday the 6-year-old was in a total huff because her older half-sister in NY threw a fit because 16 is not coming to visit for the holidays. Sixteen said: "I asked her why I should make the effort to go out there since she hasn't even telephoned me in the past three months. I told her I have plans of my own." On our part, we're delighted to see her stand up for herself. Until now, her assorted sisters have pretty much run her life and she put up with it on the basis of "we're sisters."

I hope this flare up in your family dies down quickly and doesn't ruin Fred's holiday -- and yours.

Kathie,

I will be fine..just a bit irritated with it all plus having to *deal* without any smokable nicotine. I will be okay. I have learned many things growing up in this life. You are asked to do something that you have to decline. If the person asking, tries to persuade you to change your mind...they do not really care about you..it is all about their agenda.

That nasty email was part of her agenda..unfortunately it is going to have the result she was not looking for.

Kathie, it was a nasty uncalled for email. Very hurtful and accusatory towards me. Seems she forgot I had surgery..hmmm?

Fred and I made brunch. He is going to work tonite. Chelsea has been making food all weekend for her to eat this week. Natalie and I are going to have some nice sandwiches for dinner.

We have not done that in awhile. Maybe I will make a simple tossed salad to go with it. That is about as far as I can go with cooking lately.

I bought a super group xmas gift for all of us! I was able to get a Canon Cybershot camera for $62. Retails for $149. It was the last one in the store. I bought a 4gig memory card online for about $11 and that should be coming in a couple days.

We have needed a new camera for a long time! I am so happy!! Now I can take better mini photos.

Sending hugs Heidi!

Never did get the hoovering done - got to into decorating for christmas :p See the results below!

The real life christmas area (no proper tree)

post-2387-1260210684_thumb.jpg

And the mini christmas area

post-2387-1260210759_thumb.jpg

post-2387-1260210815_thumb.jpg

post-2387-1260210877_thumb.jpg

{{{Hugs}}}, Heidi. We still haven't heard from DS#1 since the "I wish you had come" email after we got home, being unable to attend his MIL's funeral and having no indication we were wanted. Family has interesting dynamics, all right.

I'm thinking about wedding plans. The reception is in a hall that is a bit like a gym hall. We'd like to cover large areas of it ideally with some sort of fabric. The photographer mentioned something like bonded fabric maybe - anyone heard of it or know what it is?

Anyone have any other ideas about covering large areas??

I feel better tonight. Holly, I know what you mean. It has been an interesting end of the year..I tell ya.

Chelsea has been a cooking fool and I like it. She made this Native American fried bread tonight. It reminded me of fried dough but different. We had agave nectar on it. It was really really good.

I told her to save that recipe.

I feel better tonight. Holly, I know what you mean. It has been an interesting end of the year..I tell ya.

Chelsea has been a cooking fool and I like it. She made this Native American fried bread tonight. It reminded me of fried dough but different. We had agave nectar on it. It was really really good.

I told her to save that recipe.

Heidi, could you please ask her to share that recipe?

Today we're running errands. I have to renew my car's registration; raising the license fee is one way our legislature decided to make up budget deficits. I'm so sorely tempted just to sell my little car, but it's such a good, money-saving little workhorse for local errands and trips where we don't need to take the house!

Heidi, we checked out a local Venezuelan hot dog restaurant and one of their specialties is arepas. Here's that recipe:

Makes 5-10 arepas

Pre-cooked cornmeal (see notes) -- 2 cups

Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon

Boiling water -- 3 cups

Oil -- 3 tablespoons

Method

Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal and salt. Pour in 2 1/2 cups of the boiling water and mix with a wooden spoon to form a mass. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.

Using wetted hands, form balls of dough out of about 1/4 cup of dough and press to form a cake about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. If the dough cracks at the edges, mix in a little more water and then form the cakes.

Heat the oil in a sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the patties, a few at a time, to form a light brown crust on one side, 5-6 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side.

When all the patties have been browned, transfer them to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they sound lightly hollow when tapped. Serve immediately.

Variations

To make filled arepas, split them in half when finished and scoop out a little of the soft dough filling. Stuff with your chosen filling.

Arepa de Pabellón: shredded, seasoned meat and black beans.

Reina Pepeada: chopped chicken, avocado, and mayonnaise mashed together.

Arepa de Dominó: black beans and crumbled white cheese.

Arepa de Perico: scrambled eggs with tomatoes, peppers and onions.

Columbian Arepas: make smaller and thicker and don't bake. Top with butter and melted cheese.

Other possible fillings: grated white or cheddar cheese; guasacaca, ham and cheese, hard-boiled quails eggs.

The sautéing step is sometimes skipped and the arepas are simply baked. In the countryside arepas are often cooked on the grill.

Small arepas can be made and served as appetizers with garnishes on top instead of inside. Or they can be eaten as small biscuits.

Sometimes a little sugar is mixed in with the dough to form sweet arepas (arepas dulces).

Notes

The cornmeal used to make arepas is a special, precooked type that usually goes by the name masarepa, or masa precocida. It can often be found in Latino markets. The more commonly found masa harina is not the correct type to use for this recipe.

The flour comes in a bright yellow bag and the label reads P.A.N. I found it in the Latino foods section of our Publix. You can fill them or put the goodies on top (sweet or savory; at the restaurant I got one with grilled chicken & caramelized onions & DH's had chopped sausage & potatoes; you can also melt chocolate over them) So far at home I've made them to eat with soup and instead of hushpuppies with catfish.

We have got to make a list of chores and get busy. The past two weeks have been full of family and we haven't done much else. We need to finish shopping, get an electrician out to install the box for the new stove (still sitting in a box in the garage), put the Christmas decorations up, etc, etc. Maybe this weekend?

Sharon,

I will ask her today for the link to the recipe and I will post it here.

Holly,

That sounds really good but I am interested in what a Venezuelan hot dog tastes like?? We have Dominican, Peruvian, Puerto Rican and (real) Mexican places but not Venezuelan...Mmmm.

Another day of the same old same old. Fred talked to his Mom last night. She does not know what got into his sister but she does not feel the way his sister seems to feel.

It seems that they (not his Mom or Step father) have forgotten that I had major surgery. That I probably will not be going to this party they are throwing. If I cannot walk a short length of the Mall, I will not be able to sit in the car for the drive or sit in a eatery for 4 hours to celebrate. His Mom knows this without us even having to tell her. For now, his sis is on my poop list. Not holding a grudge but not running in her arms giving her forgiveness either.

I am hungry for breakfast. I think there is a couple stray baked potatoes in the fridge. I am going to TRY to make some breakfast tatos. I will take it easy.

I am going to TRY to make some breakfast tatos. I will take it easy.
Oh, dear, now I know what I'm hungry for for breakfast! I don't know about their hot dogs, either, Heidi; neither of us likes/ eats hot dogs; but DH wolfed down his sausages & taters like no tomorrow, and the bite he gave me they were lovely & garlicky and just a trace of chili heat.

Ugh - I must start the Xmas shopping. Just found a great buy online at Kohl's - 7" Portable Digital TV - Originally $199, Now $69. Plus online discount code PKS15OFF for another 15%, plus today and tomorrow they're doing Kohls Cash - so there is another $10, plus there is a mail in rebate for $20 for the item itself. And just because I'm a cheapskate, I went through Bing to get another $6 off. Finally cost of each TV (I got 2) $30!!

I love FatWallet.com - they find all the loopholes to make the holidays a little less painful.

Holly,

Did you say that you like to use surgical tubing? Fred just handed me two packs of little itty bitty tubing that is used on the preemies. I have no use for it. If you would like it, PM me your snail mail addy.

Holly,

Did you say that you like to use surgical tubing? Fred just handed me two packs of little itty bitty tubing that is used on the preemies. I have no use for it. If you would like it, PM me your snail mail addy.

Done.. Thank you!!!

I woke up to snow on the ground this morning. Looks like less then an inch but it is cold out and it is now raining. Nasty conditions. They delayed all the schools but ours.

Nat was not too happy but gotta go to school.

Fred and I have errands to run this morning. He has to fill the sand bucket, pull out the shovels, bring car in to have tires put on this morning, and I need to pick up some staples at the grocery store.

Ugh..he is awake..it is only 7am..he needs to go back..Too early

Light snow here, too, this morning. We're on the very south edge of the monster storm that's blanketing the upper Midwest. Temp is 11 F, set to fall all day, predicted low of 3 tonight. Radar shows a blob of storm directly west of us. I assume it's headed this way. It's winter here on the prairie. :wave:

I woke up to tornado watch and yucky overcast, with promise of downpours by later this afternoon, and then clear and back to freezing-a** cold again tomorrow, with more rain by the weekend. Whoopee. We may not go paddling Sunday.

Wonderful day to min!

Well we here in NC wole up to temps in the 70's and you guessed it more rain. Strong storms today and heavy winds. Then it's back to reality and cold with strong winds. Guess we will work on the houses. We also got a am early Christmas present a Wii, so maybe I will get some exercise. LOL Hope you all have a greatbday

Val and Rita.

I have sourdough bread proofing, baked fruitcake cookies and the house is clean, all before 8:30 this morning. Now I can spend the rest of the day hunting the directions to the Magnolia. I've misplaced them.