What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Hi everyone! Today I am going to continue to sort out my studio - it only took my 6 weeks to make a mess of it, tripping over stuff on the floor etc. Last night I put up some more shelving and this morning DH helped me move a sturdy shelf unit from storage so I can go vertical with stuff, not horizontal.

I am working on my Caribbean plantation - avoiding the electrical but cant do anything else until I do it, since I have to tip the house on its side to get to the tapewire on the ceilings.

Hope you all have a great day...Alyce

Today I had off from work and I got some much needed housework done. My kids will be done with school on the 24 right now they have so many end of year activites going on that my calendar is packed full until then. My daughter came home from school sick today so I took her to the drs and she has some upper resiporty virus going on I hope that it doesnt last long she has been pretty quiet allday today.Tonight is softball palyoffs but I dont think we are going seeing she doesnt feel well. I will be glad when school is done for them and then things will HOPEFULLY slow down a bit. Iam trying to get things in order for when we go camping during July 4 weekend seeing I will be able to get some mining done then were going with Greg's sister and she loves mini things as much as I do and we plan on makeing a few porjects while were camping.

Yesterday I got the black screen of death and then a dreaded message on my computer: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

My good friend and tech-savvy neighbor came over this morning and we managed to get the machine up and running again. Needless to say, I've just spent several hours backing up data onto CDs. He's going to go shopping with me for a new computer. This one is 5 years old; it's time.

But ... on the good news side of the ledger, we got the last of the shutters painted. When they're remounted, the house will be done but for painting the front door red and adding a brass kick plate to it.

My grandaughter is visiting. she lives about 20 miles away but occasionally she visits and spends the night. My mother lives across the street and my grandaughter spends a lot of time with her. It is great when an 89 year old and a 12 year old get along so well.

I am working on the canterbury. I have been having trouble with spintering pieces when they are punched out. Maybe it is because the kit is so old. I don't know but it is a pain. I'll be painting and papering the interior today.

Muriel, I'm going to line a piepan with a mixture of Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan sheese and olive oil, lay in the tomato slices, sprinkle them with salt, pepper and a bare pinch of sugar, and then a layer of Provolne or Mozzarella cheese (I forget which I bought the other day...) and whisk together nonfat milk, nonfat yogurt and Eggbeaters and pour over the top and bake it at 350 F degrees until I can stick a knifeblade into the center & it comes out clean, probably 45-55 minutes.

Muriel, I'm going to line a piepan with a mixture of Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan sheese and olive oil, lay in the tomato slices, sprinkle them with salt, pepper and a bare pinch of sugar, and then a layer of Provolne or Mozzarella cheese (I forget which I bought the other day...) and whisk together nonfat milk, nonfat yogurt and Eggbeaters and pour over the top and bake it at 350 F degrees until I can stick a knifeblade into the center & it comes out clean, probably 45-55 minutes.

Yummy and something I will have to try soon, thank you for the idea!

Hugs

I'm still working on my real house, which is beginning to look like a doll house! I'm waiting for the painters to come put up the shiny black shutters before I take any pictures. We treated ourselves to a mutual anniversary present: two topiary hibiscus plants to flank the front door, which I'm painting bright red. (two coats on, probably 2 more to go). It really pops with the white house and medium-brown roof. There are three stars over the front door that have been painted white since we got here, so they really weren't noticable; today I painted them black --- talk about pop!. And replaced the black mailbox with a brass one.

I really want to do a scratch build of this house. It is too darn cute! :lol:

Also working on yard ... pruned the devil out of a magnolia that now looks much better, and have started dragging large stones from the front yard to the back to line the herb garden. All this outside work is great exercise, which I sorely need (and get sorely ... :blink: )

Can't wait to get back to minis ... whenever that will be!

Holly, the tomato pie sounds delicious! Even our picky vegetarians-who-don't-eat-vegetables would probably like it.

Today is the first day of my offically started summer holidays, school's out for the teachers as well, :blink: and as it is the Midsummer holiday we will be going over to visit my PILs over the weekend so won't be online that much I suspect. So today is pakcing a little things for that, and have a little fun trying out the new roofing materials I got for Mr LE Arthur to see how that fits.

Hugs

Holly, the tomato pie sounds delicious! Even our picky vegetarians-who-don't-eat-vegetables would probably like it.
It's not a strict vegan recipe, obviously, since it's a custard pie with cheese in the crust, but I tossed in some chopped black olives when I made it and Miss Pickyeater inhaled it!

Yesterday both kids were back at work and we rode our tandem from Mt Vernon to Alexandria & back. We had to make a sudden stop and I couldn't get my landing foot unclipped in time; I have really bad issues with balance and over we went, and this time I strained/sprained/broke my tailbone again, so today I'll be moving lsowly, staying close to the house. Fortunately I have LOTS of laundry needing a wash and my 1:24 rug to stitch.

We'll finish leftovers tonight, so I have a dessert I make DH that he likes that I'll make for all of us tonight. I take a thawed puff pastry sheet opened out and cut each sidethird into strips. Then I spread fruit pie filling along the middle, generously, fold the strips over it alternately so it looks like a brain, sprinkle it with powdered sugar and bake it according to the package directions.

Holly, the pie sounds delicious! I have copied the recipe to try out one day. Chris does not eat tomatoes, so will have to make it for myself or one day when I've got company to share it.

It is definitely partly psychological cause fresh tomatoes taste very different from ketchup, from tinned tomatoes, and even from cherry tomatoes, but he won't eat any of them. However also, he'll eat bbq sauce, and ate chilli that we had on nachos one time at a restaurant. Now he'll eat chilli regularly. We had a prawn salad at a chinese restaurant once, and it had tomato in it. It was without the seeds, just the outside bit cut in strips, and was quite pale, so didn't look traditionally like tomato. He'd obviously not really had prawns before either, cause he was eating the salad and I asked him what he thought of the prawns. He took a piece of the tomato and said it was ok, thinking it was prawn. Now I try and disguise tomatoes in food, but they're quite distinguishable! I don't think he's ready for tomato pie yet.

Anyone have any ideas for disguising tomatoes, but still getting a bit of the taste so he can get used to it without knowing it is tomato?

(We've been together about 5.5 years and I am still amazed by things he hasn't tried! Some things he must have tried when he was little, but then decided he didn't like it and never again had to try it - until i came along! He hadn't had strawberries, oranges, tangerines, baby-bell cheese! and a hundred other things. He's 23!)

Muriel :blink:

So, last week I spent a lot of time cleaning up my shop after finishing my magic Shoppe, but right now you would never know it. I have 2 projects in the works on each side of my tiny shop. I am doing Ernie's bus on one side & the Adams on the other & a huge pile of 'stuff' in the middle !! On top of all this, the wife gave me a rather large 'Honey-Do' list for the real house !

So, it looks like I'll be busy for quite a while !!

Steve

Peel your tomatoes, Muriel, then halve them, scoop out the seeds and chop up the rest of it and use it in stir fry and hot dishes. Try them thata way in the tomato pie first, BTW (I use a pound of tomatoes to make the pie). Also, when I make it again for DH & me I think I'll use a bit of basil and low-fat crumbled feta cheese for the filling. The pinch of sugar sprinkled over the tomatoes offsets the acid tartness but doesn't hurt the flavor.

Your guy's pickiness sounds like DS#2's fiancee's, except she has been at it >50% longer. Guess what? She hates quiche, but loved the tomato pie!

Today I am washing clothes, stitching and generally staying off my feet to give my injuries from yesterday a chance to heal.

Holly that does sound painfull! You take it easy now with the loads to the washing machine as well!

Have packed most of the things now, the weather is really iffy with spurts of heavy rain and then nothing strong windgusts and nothing andrain again etc etc so I am not sure we will bring the bikes with us on the roof today, mine will fit inside the back of the car, not sure hubby's does though so we might have to collect that one tomorrow if the weather is better then, it is only appr half an hour's ride between us so that is an easy trip to make LOL. It will be so nice to have a whole weekend together with my PILs as it has been ages since seeing them last over a weekend like this. Have packed a few minis as well, will make books and pet carriers (those are on order so I think they have priority...) and then I will see what I might be doing with the Sugarplum/vet's clinic I have over there as well.

Hugs

Love the recipe Holly but not going to show it to Chelsea..LOL

That would require me to make a trip to the health food store and I am not in the mood today...LOL

Veganizing it would take non-dairy mozzarella and non-dairy parmesan. I will save it for when the tomatoes come in though.

I was in your neck of the woods yesterday Dawn. Took Chels to get her roots done at the hairdressing school and I stopped at Scotts. I hit the gardening jackpot.

I bought 6 orange bell pepper plants and 4 purple heirloom tomato plants. Already in the ground. The prices were just right. $2.99 a section.

Nat is going to her friend`s middle school graduation tonight and Chelsea is going to do some more screen printing of t-shirts for the music/art fest that is going on this Saturday. Dawn, if your son is interested..It is going to be at Sutton Park from noon-8pm.

Sanding.... We are working on the San fran.. There were a few spots that needed filled.. so I filled them, left the boys in the room for about 20 minutes and they mudded the entire house! It did need to be mudded all over but I was just going to put wallpaper on to poster board and be done with it.! Well, now I am trying to sand dried drywall mud off the house in all the neat little corners that thier little fingers could get into.!

Kellee

Little helpers are wonderful!

Today DH & I are off to Leesburg to see if we can find the dh store there, at least to hit the outlet mall with at least three sportswear outlets last time we were here.

today im driving mom to work (her car is being fixed) then im going to acmoore to pick through their clearance dh stuff. then im going to prime, tapewire and wallpaper the orchid rehab. i hope to get this all done today. lol

oh 1 question...you prime the wood to keep it from ruining the wallpaper right? well if i have clear spray sealer will that work just as well as painting the wood?

Holly I hope you are OK and feeling better! Broke your tail bone?!
Apparently just a strain & bad bruise, I took it VERY easy all day yesterday and by last night I could bear weight on my right leg on the stairs (DS lives in a three-storey house). And yeah, I'm sort of tough...

...if i have clear spray sealer will that work just as well as painting the wood
Yes, but the primer also looks better under light colored wallpaper. Keep in mind most wallpaper in RL houses goes on over sized sheetrock, which is either pale gray or white, and you see why most of us prime.

Good point Holly. Back when I was a newbie making dollhouses, I didn't realize that the wood would should through the wallpaper....duh! I learned really quick to prime the walls not only because of the acids in the wood, but also because it shows through light colored papers! I love light colored papers and was shocked when I built my first Arthur to see the wood showing through my lovely offj-white paper with the pink roses.....the pink roses looked darker and the white paper looked muddy......Now I just automatically make templates and paper them....no problems!

Glad you are getting around better! Don't want my buddies all crippled up.........me? I'm fine!

I slept in until 8:30am. I feel great and a lil guilty. I am usually up with the roosters (if we had any) at 6:30am. But since there is no school, no alarm clock.

Nat`s best boyfriend is leaving on Tuesday for the summer to stay with his mother. All the way to Virginia. They are both sad. She has best friends that are girls but he is her neighborhood buddy.

I have to water the veggies this morning. I do not have to worry lately about them drying out. We have had thunderstorms with torrential rain almost everyday this week. That is part of the reason the chimney hasn't been done yet. Has to be able to set and if it rains anytime after they do it, it would all wash away. So no hunky mason here today.

Nat is going to a cookout and Chelsea is going to a separate cookout tomorrow. Fred works the weekend so I will have the house to myself on Saturday. Yeah!

Do not have any plans. Maybe start reading my copy of the new Odd Thomas book.

Today I rest...... Our hydroponic garden is now taking care of itself - the autopots work great. We have ordered 8 more pots! I have tomatoes and peppers already forming on my plants, and cucumbers, carrots, radish and more growing in my earth boxes. We have ordered the lights for the inside of the tomatoe growhouse for when it comes inside this winter, plus polymar mirror stuff to hang in there for more light reflection. My orchids (all 9 of them now) are doing extremely well and don't need watering or care today. My houseplants are all outside, and I've been making mini books for another bookcase like crazy! All of them open from this batch, but no words in there...just blank pages.......but they open!

Doug is sick today, but is sleeping right now. The mama deer lost her fawn and she was frantically running through the meadow making her special sound and soon found that she left the fawn up in the grove and not down in the meadow so all is well........

It's a beautiful day here with clear skies and warm sun - quite unlike a week or so ago when we had almost 6 inches of snow! Now it seems summer is finally here! The forest smells like a bottle of pine perfume!!

I've been up since 4AM and all is well here.

I am a slave today and I do not like it.

Chelsea needs a ride to a picnic in one direction, Natalie needs a ride to a picnic in another direction, and Fred needs a ride to work. All around the same time. Then I have to wait around until everyone is ready to be picked up. That stinks!

No plans on doing anything but waiting by the phone...Pooh!