What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Sounds like you're whizzing along Jeannine! Annoying when we have to take an enforced break sometimes, but sounds like you have other bits to work on that'll hopefully give your hands some recovery time. 

Natasha has concussion after being pushed and knocking her head on a tree. There isn't a mark on her (normally she bruises really easily) but headaches, dizziness and visual disturbances persisted, so she's now under doctors orders for the week for no physical activity like running, swimming, dancing, messing around, and reduced mental activities at school, no screen (fairly easy, they're not on screen much at all), and no reading. Now that one is super difficult for someone that reads all the time! Also means her little dollhousing is on hold, too much concentration needed. Happened last Thursday and she's still suffering (but didn't have classic symptoms of nausea/vomiting/drowsiness at all, and other symptoms apart from dull headache took 24-48 hours to develop) She's playing lots with lego and her stuffed toys keep having parties ;) 

So what is it about men just tossing their change on the kitchen counter, dresser or jar instead of using those coins up? Yeah, I know, I know, it's a pain to carry around change in your pants pockets. On Sunday I got into the line at the McDonalds drive through, and the line was moving so slowly I decided to see how many quarters were dumped into the car's cupholder. Between my wallet and the cupholder I came up with $8.00 in quarters, so I paid for breakfast with the quarters. Ordinarily I wouldn't have done it, but the car in front of me hadn't moved forward at all while the cashier was counting out the coins. Turns out it was training day for new hires.

I hadn't been doing any miniatures for the last few months, hadn't had the urge, but I did list some of my no longer needed minis on ebay last month, and painted a scene on a little chest that I put up for sale. Painting the chest made me start thinking about my mental block about roofing materials for my 1:24 Tudor cottage row again. Speaking of ebay I just found out they're not going to use paypal for payments anymore, but deal directly with sellers' bank accounts, a big no-no at our house. I guess I'll go see what etsy is doing and maybe reopen my store there. I've disliked some of ebays other changes and saw that a lot of people are thinking about switching over too.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Good to see you back!  Are you going to thatch your Tudors, or go with slates?

Slates! But they need to be right kind of slates. I started working on an idea this afternoon using gray cardstock I bought. But this stuff is thinner than my stash of old white cardstock, so I don't know if it'll work out. I'd forgotten that some posterboard I was considering back in December turned out to be thinner than I'd like too. Now if I were working in 1:12, it wouldn't be as much a problem. I used my mat cutter and cut a piece of scrap matboard with a nice bevel that could be fixed up to make some decent looking slates. .......While on the subject, any future dollhouses I want to design and build will be 1:24, because if at any point I decide to sell one, it won't be as big a P in the A to ship one.  I've learned that I like to design and build the houses, but I prefer to furnish room boxes in 1:12. Dollhouses just never have big enough rooms to furnish them the way I like, without making something incredibly huge.

I gather that many of us are sick and tired of hearing about vaccines, but for all of us who have ever had full-blown chicken pox as children, having just gotten over a hefty dose of shingles and presently waiting for the go-ahead from my dermatologist to get it, let me suggest that those who haven't done so consider seriously getting the Shingrix vaccine.

• Like 1

@havanaholly

I am in my early 50's and that is on my to do list!

I have seen so many people, even young people who have a bout with shingles. The virus lays dormant in our nervous system until a weakened immune system allows the   virus to reoccur. Since it is dormant in the nerve cells it is extremely painful. You can get an outbreak in your eyes, face or along the flank....It reduces grown men to tears

oh Carrie, Im not a vaccine person but I totally agree on this one!  I had the chicken when I was 24 - that was already an issue - and I watched my Mom over the years suffer various shingles outbreaks, always in the flank...low flank...so painful and she was miserable for weeks.  So, yes, get it if you've had the pox!  If nothing else it'll certainly at least diminish the outbreak!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I gather that many of us are sick and tired of hearing about vaccines, but for all of us who have ever had full-blown chicken pox as children, having just gotten over a hefty dose of shingles and presently waiting for the go-ahead from my dermatologist to get it, let me suggest that those who haven't done so consider seriously getting the Shingrix vaccine.

Holly, so glad to hear you are over it. Had my annual Medicare checkup yesterday and came away with a prescription for the Shingrix. Will get the shots at my local CVS pharmacy in the next few days.

Season 2 of the great chipmunk wars has begun. Last year the critters helped the demise of 2 little azaleas by constantly digging in under their roots no matter how much peppermint oil, cinnamon or pepper spray I poured around them. 

This year I found some nice little replacement azaleas of a different variety, and got the idea of lining the inside of my planting holes with fine chicken wire. I checked online, and saw that Mother Earth News also recommended something similar, and another website said hardware cloth was better. Looking up hardware cloth, I found it had smaller holes and was often used to keep leaves out of rain gutters. I had my son dig out the holes deeper, with straighter side walls and fashioned a bushel shaped basket out of the wire fencing, snipping and making foldable flaps to form the bottom of the basket, which I tied together with more wire. After filling the bottom of the basket with soil, I planted the azalea in there. A few inches of the hardware cloth is left sticking up above the ground. I'm going to snip and fold it down over the ground, filling any spaces with more wire cloth. I just finished my 2nd basket and have partially filled it with soil, but my back is starting to ache, so I decided to come in for a while. My son helped me move my mock indigo earlier in the week and I had to spend some time on my knees - not good. Yesterday I got the brilliant idea of placing an old bed pillow inside an oversized ziplock bag and it's working great as a knee pad. Regular knee pads don't seem to cut it.

4 hours ago, grazhina said:

Looking up hardware cloth, I found it had smaller holes and was often used to keep leaves out of rain gutters. I had my son dig out the holes deeper, with straighter side walls and fashioned a bushel shaped basket out of the wire fencing, snipping and making foldable flaps to form the bottom of the basket, which I tied together with more wire.  ... Yesterday I got the brilliant idea of placing an old bed pillow inside an oversized ziplock bag and it's working great as a knee pad. Regular knee pads don't seem to cut it.

Clever you!  I just flashed on an image of two chipmunks wearing safety goggles, wielding a pair of wire cutters and looking toward the house in case you spot them. :D 

• Haha 2

Great image Kathie! 

For Ascension Day (40 days after Easter) at school the kids (and parents) decorate letters and wreaths with moss and flowers, and do a procession through the village to bless and dress the wells. It was very wet this year, but a great experience anyway!  The picture is from the next day in the sun. 

In mini world I've been continuing with my window dressing. 

large.IMG_20210514_173702_compress5.jpg.

• Like 1

As I was planting flowers in the front yard, I saw a chipmunk sauntering along my front walk. I hissed like a cat and the chipmunk leapt into the holly bushes. This morning one looked like it had been checking out the wire around one of the little azaleas. This morning I must finish clipping the last few inches of fencing and push the panels down to cover the soil around the plant's stem. 

Because of my back pain my husband keeps telling me to let our son plant the flowers. .....yeah, he'd plant like his father, dig a hole somewhere, pop in a plant, dig another hole. They have no understanding of garden planning, like assorting heights and colors, etc. Yesterday, however, I had a brilliant idea. I bought a couple of cans of inversion spray paint that sprays straight down to mark out lines on grass, paving, etc., like they use at baseball fields. I can spray with white to show Jake where to plant the marigolds (I bought a whole flat) and any other flowers I can trust to his hands. I bought another color to spray weeds that are popping out of the mulch. ........see white? - plant a flower. ...see yellow? - it's a weed, pull it out.  Years ago DH went into the garden one fine spring day to pull weeds and pulled out all the flowers I had just planted the day before. They weren't blooming yet, you see, so how was he supposed to tell they were flowers and not to be touched????? 

BTW, in my search through all the local garden centers I found a listing of what would be DH's favorite bush. It's called the  Mr. Bowling Ball arbovitae because it grows in a perfectly round ball. 

3 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Was in the hospital again, but luckily only for a few days this time. They tell me the third wound I had has healed up, one down, two to go! Good to catch up with everyone. 

18 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome home, Cynthia; I got to fight a bout of shingles.

When my cronies and I get to comparing ills, we have dubbed it an organ concert! :D 

Yesterday I ordered some more deer repellent, because my bottle was half empty. This morning I came outside and saw that the deer ate up the 7 hostas in my front yard - even though I had recently sprayed them with the pepper spray repellent. I didn't spray the ones over towards the side yard, figuring that maybe they'll just eat them and leave my favorites alone - but no, they barely touched them. 

4 hours ago, grazhina said:

Yesterday I ordered some more deer repellent, because my bottle was half empty. This morning I came outside and saw that the deer ate up the 7 hostas in my front yard - even though I had recently sprayed them with the pepper spray repellent. I didn't spray the ones over towards the side yard, figuring that maybe they'll just eat them and leave my favorites alone - but no, they barely touched them. 

Oh booo, how frustrating and sad! 

When we bought our present house the neighbors all warned us not to bother with a garden because of the deer.  I started a compost heap thinking to plant some non-tasty-to-deer plants the next season.  After they kept eating my veggie scraps before they could compost I gave up.

Well I trotted over to the hospital again on Saturday, this time not due to my leg, but bad stomach pains. They tell me, kidney stone! Argh. Luckily I was sent home with medication and the pain started letting up. It might be due to the diet I've been following for healing, more protein, more dairy, but they didn't know for sure. Oh did I tell you my good news? They weighed me at my last hospital stay and I found out I lost 40 lbs! I'm the skinniest I've been in a long while, but still have far to go.

Well I have had to take a bteak from my dollhousing as I am waiting for plugs and floorboards to come in th mail so I have hit a halt..meanwhile I have picked up some knitting yarn and am knitting an exact replica of the Ted Bakker first Dr Who scarf.Sticking to the colors and stripe arrangement as per the BBC's  instructions  I think it is pretty accurate.I am not sure what I will do with it but it is mindless easy knitting so keeping me stress free but busy.

• Like 1