What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

The boys and hubby left Vero Beach yesterday so I could give the cottage a good spring cleaning.  No sense cleaning out the sand and have them bring it back in, so I kicked them out. I accidentally slept in so I'm a few hours behind. Still have one more bath to do and the floors and load up the car. I'll be home by 6, maybe.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎08‎:‎53‎, jbnmini said:

I made up some peanut butter filling last nite, so I guess besides frosting the 2 cakes I will be making some peanut butter eggs tonite!

Jackie, not sure if I should hug you - or not - for mentioning that it was possible to make homemade peanut butter eggs! Peanut butter cups /eggs/trees are literally the only things my kids care to have in their basket/stocking/valentine heart. I'll usually throw in some kisses or Hershey's miniatures just for variety, but they are the last eaten,if at all. I just made a batch of eggs, and I also shaped a couple larger bunnies, because I didn't buy the boys chocolate bunnies for their baskets this year. I am so excited. But now that I know those can be made, I have a feeling we'll be eating a lot more chocolate covered peanut butter shaped things! The recipe I found is way easier than buckeyes. And my youngest doesn't care for buckeyes anyway.

Deiivered the lamb cake to cousin Gloria today. She was delightfully surprised. When we left, she was muttering something about just who exactly she was going to let have a piece, and the list didn't seem to be very long.  lol

• Like 4

Sorry I have been missing in action for the past few weeks.  I have been working like crazy on the new deck and several other small projects.

If everything goes according to plan, I will have the final railing installed and all of the scrap lumber moved to the back yard before I head to work tomorrow.  It looks good from a distance, but all the imperfections are driving me a little nuts.  I swear, you can measure a dozen times, cut all of the parts precisely, and within minutes (or less), none of the boards are the same size you originally cut them to.  Unless I'm going to install a part immediately, I won't cut anything after measuring and marking it.  The stair rails that fit perfectly the day I cut them, were over 6 inches too short after I assembled them the day after.  Hopefully they will have a use when I build the kids' tree house, because they won't fit anything I'm working on now.  I definitely used way too many "magical" words while building it.  I'll post a "before and after" set of pics in my gallery when it's done.

I'm thinking of using most of the scraps to build a starter platform for the tree house.  The original steps fell apart, but the 3' x 3' platform is solid.  I'm thinking of building a 10' x 10' platform about 6' off the ground, and eventually build the tree house's main deck about 4' above and just over from it, with a short staircase connecting the two.  It will be cheap but entertaining for the kids until I can build the main structure.

Jeremy, you reminded me of an exclamation uttered by a cousin building his own house and oft quoted within our family. One especially trying day he was heard to mutter in his quaint Austrian accent: "Gott dammit! I cut it tvice und shtill it's too short!"

Did some great glass cutting on Tuesday night. I swear, it was going perfectly...probably because no one was trying to talk to me, and I had the rock station on and was singing along. Today I do some grinding. Then it's cleaning and foiling. Tomorrow I go pick up some glass a friend ordered for me. Oh, and I have some ARCs I have to finish reading and reviewing by this weekend.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎07‎:‎58‎, sparklepuppies said:

Jackie, not sure if I should hug you - or not - for mentioning that it was possible to make homemade peanut butter eggs! Peanut butter cups /eggs/trees are literally the only things my kids care to have in their basket/stocking/valentine heart. I'll usually throw in some kisses or Hershey's miniatures just for variety, but they are the last eaten,if at all. I just made a batch of eggs, and I also shaped a couple larger bunnies, because I didn't buy the boys chocolate bunnies for their baskets this year. I am so excited. But now that I know those can be made, I have a feeling we'll be eating a lot more chocolate covered peanut butter shaped things! The recipe I found is way easier than buckeyes. And my youngest doesn't care for buckeyes anyway.

:)  Lemme know if you wanna see my recipe - super easy!  The secret is the bit of cream cheese!  Yum!!

I had a variety of egg and bunny molds that I have used in past years, but I must have boxed them up and stashed them in the attic or something because I couldn't find ANY of them!!  :dunno:  Also, with my dad ending up in the hospital on Good Friday, the PB eggs had to be sidelined.  I wrapped it up good and stuck it in the freezer....maybe we will make PB eggs for Mother's Day!  LOL

The car dealership where we got our "new" car sent us a dozen chocolate chunk cookies for a "thank you" present, so today I got busy and made some more chocolate chip cookies, since I always put nuts in mine.

12 minutes ago, pdlnpeabody said:

I just posted "before" and "after" pics of the deck project.  Now I want to build one in DH scale.

Yes, you did, and a gorgeous job you did!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pdlnpeabody said:

Thanks, Holly!  It didn't turn out perfect, but it's level and I think it looks nice from a distance.

You have a whole slew of little kids playing on & around it; it doesn't have to be perfect, but level is outstanding.

This year's Pensacola Jazz Fest has to have been the best yet!  The artist who designs our poster every year also attends as our featured artist, and this year's artist was Sidney Carter.

For a long time I've dreamed about a counter depth refrigerator for our tiny tiny kitchen. The regular one seems way out of scale; I wouldn't tolerate it in a miniature kitchen. But when we started shopping for one it seemed as if all of them were too wide for the space. Finally found one to fit the width at a premium price, but decided to splurge only to realize it is too tall for the space. So, am waiting for a carpenter to come by to tell us what it would take to make the space adequate before I cancel the order. Bashing doll houses is sure a lot easier!

Holly, I like the tiny kitchen. Enough room for me, and anyone who wants to chat during meal prep time can sit in the doorway. I lived on a boat for a few years back in the day. Noi that was a tiny kitchen, but I managed to do a Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixin's for a great feed dockside. That's when I learned to be creative with the microwave. The big refrigerator feels like an elephant in the room, especially now that I know there's an alternative.

The only smaller scale fridges I've found have rinky dink freezers. I want one that will keep leftovers, ice and frozen foods frozen hard.

I report to same day surgery at 6:15 tomorrow morning to have a cataract removed from my right eye. If all goes well, left eye will be done in two weeks. Looking forward to seeing more clearly!

Frustrating day today. My vero beach neighbor called yesterday to tell us that the AC unit was making all kinds of racket so he pulled the breaker. I drove up this morning to find out the thermostat's batteries had corroded and leaked into the circuit board which was sending a message to the AC to turn on and off incessantly. Cheap fix.  When I returned home I found out a Facebook private medical group I've been a member of for 6 years has been shut down or deleted or something. How can a group that had 1500 members all the sudden have 0?  There was nothing controversial about it. It was as benign as this group. It was a Support group which helped so many people deal with a medical condition. I'm crushed.

I love your little kitchen, Kathy!  I also function well in itty kitchens.  Our old house we replaced the old fridge with another smallish one with freezer space adequate for our needs.

Sable, that's totally weird!  I hope you find out what happened.

Getting ready for another RL house project. My kitchen needs a refresh, new paint/molding etc, but I've got to wait until next week to start. I'll probably move some stuff around in the rest of the house too, just for fun :)

On 3/30/2016, 5:08:13, Muriel said:

Some Easter pictures for those that need them or didn't get around to decorating themselves 

IMG_20160330_220953.jpg

Oh Muriel, sorry I'm missed your post. Your girls have grown SO much and are SO beautiful. Thanks for updating us all. Hope all is well with you.

Did you get to go to the miniature show? Any goodies to share with us?

• Like 1

I had to put my minis away again to focus on a RL project this week. Spent yesterday running around looking for an area rug, found one at a good price, found another small coffee table I wanted also at a good price. My DH and DS1 moved a lot of furniture, and I'm taking the rug back because I don't need it (re-purposed another one I already) Today I spent the morning putting together a POANG chair from IKEA...so comfy...then the afternoon stripping wallpaper border and spackling. Tomorrow it's removing molding and painting. I've gotta get the project on the run before my parents get back from vacation.

Is there a full moon? I ordered a new stove and refrigerator from a national department store to give the kitchen a little face lift. They were to be delivered today. I received 8 or 9 text messages, three or four emails, and two robo calls telling me that both items would be delivered today between 10:45 and 12:45 and that the driver would call a half hour before delivery and again as they approached our address. Amazing customer service, eh? So efficient! Or so it seemed. So, based on these notifications, last night at 8 pm the departing appliances were picked up by a family who needs them.

This morning at 7 am I had a phone call from the delivery service driver asking if I wanted the range to be delivered. Huh? You're delivering a range and a refrigerator, I tell him. No, he says, the fridge was damaged so they had to order another one. That's ridiculous, I say. I had an email last night saying both would be delivered today. Okay, he says, somebody from the store was supposed to call you. I'll check and call you back. So he calls back to say that it wasn't damaged, it just wasn't on the truck when it arrived at the local distribution point and they've rescheduled delivery for 4/26 -- two weeks from today. What? All those declarations of a confirmed delivery time when somebody should have known days earlier that the fridge wasn't en route?

I am totally steamed. I called the salesperson (who is a friend of ours), who said he thinks they can give us a loaner for the duration. I was supposed to get a call from either him or someone at the delivery center as to when the loaner will be delivered, either today or tomorrow. No call received. What's particularly galling is that the fridge did not have to be picked up yesterday; we could have kept it until the 26th, no problem. I am not a happy camper.

I checked the availability of that particular model fridge in this area. Due to space restrictions, this was the only model that fit both my wants list and the space available and is a lot more expensive than any other fridge I've ever owned. (In fact, we had to have a carpenter remove an over-the-fridge cabinet and replace it with a shelf to accommodate the height of the new fridge.) I found two other places to get it at the same price, but neither could promise delivery before May 2 or 3. If the department store doesn't come through with a loaner by tomorrow afternoon, I'm tempted to cancel the fridge, order it elsewhere, and get a cheap dorm style fridge to keep the dairy products and diet Coke cool while we wait for delivery.