What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

This post is 490. Apparently the counter is clicking again? I'll check my counter and come back here if it's not working.

Last post was 13139, This one is 13140. Clock's running!

Congratulations Kat on taking this very brave and important first step. Were you always sensitive to chemicals? I am not a medical professional, but it sounds like your fear of a reaction may have transpired into a general fear of crowds and public places. If you feel sick, it is only natural to want someone with you, and that alone can get down on the anxiety.

I am wondering if there isn't something you can do for your physical symptoms, like maybe speaking to a doctor about something you can take before venturing out, or something to have on hand when your symptoms occur. Whatever the case, your trip today is a major achievement. Take one day at a time, and feel well.

Maureen,Thanx you for your support. I am proud of myself,although it seems silly to others,I am sure. I've always had some sort of problem with random fragrances,but it has gradually become really unbearable the last dozen or so years. I've never consulted a doctor,because I don't know what they'd really be able to do. It isn't a true allergic reaction,but considered an irritant or even toxic reaction-I actually feel like I've been poisoned or something when I inadvertantly inhale an offending scent-mainly people's colognes and perfumes,but also candles,dryer sheets,crap like Febreze or Glade,etc. It is awful to live this way.

There's a whole world of us out there with extreme chemical sensitivities,I am learning,since I got online last year...But I cannot find anything stating any specific treatment,other than avoidance of irritants and keeping up a healthy lifestyle (nutrition,exercise,etc)-which anyone can benefit from anyway. I sometimes take half a Benadryl if I am going to be somewhere crowded for an unavoidable,extended time,(funerals,weddings) but that only serves to calm me to the point that I feel like I've had a couple of beers-any more will knock me out!lol That's obviously not an option if I am driving! If I could get a job making enough money to get insurance I might be able to consult a doctor,but I'm currently limited in the kinds of jobs I can take on-which is why I'm working as a private caregiver. Vicious circle!

But,yesterday,as scary as it was,also gave me a bit of hope and I liked the freedom I felt,just simply going into a grocery store by myself! ^_^ It won't make this problem go away,but I have to start figuring out how to get a normal lifestyle back. Anyway,thanx for 'listening',anyone who read this far! ;)

This week I tried needle felting... I wanted to include my mom's cats in the beach cottage I'm making for her, but unfortunately, the beautiful artisan needle felted animals were not in my budget. Time to learn something new! I bought an inexpensive kit (the penguin) and graduating to making my own tuxedo cat (slightly smaller) before trying to create my mom's Siamese in 1:12 scale. They'll look much better once they have eyes! I've ordered 2mm blue ones that are made for fishing lures. Pretty happy with my efforts.

P.S. For anyone who's feeling frustrated, let me recommend needle felting. Very satisfying. :yes:

post-58970-0-52707800-1395511547_thumb.j

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm usually pretty good with creating in 3D .. just not the best with it comes to drawing a straight line. lol.

Straight lines can be really boring.

• Like 1

Jackie, Kathie is so right! Why would you want to just draw straight lines anyway? That's what rulers are for -- we creative artists don't get stuck in that kind of rut! I'd much rather have your talents than be drawing straight lines!!!

• Like 1

Jackie, your felting is awesome! Your tuxedo kitty looks just like the one sleeping on my lap right now. It sounds like you've found a fun new artistic niche, especially if it makes you feel so relaxed and fulfilled. Good for you! And I can't draw a straight line either but it's a lot more fun to color outside the lines.

Thus far today I've wandered aimlessly into the studio and puttered around sorting thru some tubs, thought about working on my frog display but decided I wasn't in the mood, and now I'm going to go sit outside and listen to the birds sing. I still have on my work clothes tho so I might end up back in the studio later this afternoon. I'm just letting the day take me where it will. Sometimes days like this are the most interesting of all.

Deb

• Like 2

Sure looks like the counters are working now. Goody!

Jackie, your felt animals are beautiful!!! You should be very pleased with your work!

What would I look for in searching for a kit? Is it actually called "needle felting"?

496 for the last two posts! What number will this one be? Okay, this is 497, but posts #9033, 9034 and 9036 were all 496, so there is still something wrong, and it can't be happening only to me! Oh, and I just saw that I had 497 posts on another forum, so it definitely is not working correctly.

Tracy, all of my posts on this page show 498! Unless they've changed the way these are calculated, there is still something wrong. The actual number of each post is what appeared with each message (before today).

This message shows up as 499; the other messages on this page are still ALL 498.

Sandy, all of your posts show the same number. It updates universally. Right now I see 499 -- if you look at all of your posts in any thread, they also show 499.

Sandy, the number of posts that show in your box are the total number of posts you have made so far, so that number will show up in all of your post boxes and will change when you make a new post. I don't pay any attention to mine any more, it's embarassingly high.

Jackie, I love it when someone starts learning a new skill and takes to it right away. Your kitties are adorable.

We got home and unpacked the camper, ate lunch and went grocery shopping. our store is getting a complete rearranging, and overall it makes sense, but nobody has had time to learn where anything is so it was fun watching employees leading groups of shoppers on a hunt for items that neither had a clue where to look. When one offered to help me I told him I was having fun finding where they had moved stuff to, and I was, since the new layout actually has more logic to it. I commented on it to one of the store managers, but suggested that next time they ought to take the cookies out of the soup & cracker aisle, and the candy out of the canned fruit aisle, and put them together (selfish reason; then I can completely ignore the entire section, since DH & I don't eat the stuff and people who do can find all of it together).

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm a fairly crafty person and found basic needle felting was not hard to learn. I also have an increased appreciation for the artisan masters of this craft!

What would I look for in searching for a kit? Is it actually called "needle felting"?

Sandy, it is called needle felting, and I got the kit I used on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Dimensions-Needlecrafts-Needle-Character-Penguin/dp/B007QNVG3Y. The penguin was one of the least expensive beginner kits (plus, my husband is partial to them!). My daughter mentioned that Michael's carries the kits too, and there are several other animals, including an adorable sheep. BTW, I didn't buy the cat kit because I realized it costs more because it includes felting molds for the legs, which I wouldn't reuse since the cat's much larger than 1:12 scale.

Moving to 1:12 scale was a little tricky, so I'm glad I did it gradually. After I had success with the penguin, my daughter got me some different sizes of needle-felting needles and that was helpful for the smaller size kitties. I figured out that I could make their legs and tails by wrapping a bit of the wool (called 'rovings') around the needle and then pulling back the needle slowly to jab the narrow roll of wool horizontally (but carefully, so I didn't stick my fingers!). If you decide to give needle felting a try, I hope you'll let me know how it goes for you!

I plan to invest in a book now and see what else I can learn! Can anyone recommend a good book on needle felting -- with a focus on miniatures, of course?

Tracy, all of my posts on this page show 498! Unless they've changed the way these are calculated, there is still something wrong. The actual number of each post is what appeared with each message (before today).

This message shows up as 499; the other messages on this page are still ALL 498.

All your messages show 499 for me. I guess your others were still showing 498 because because 499 wasn't posted yet?

But all your posts show your current post count, as well as your current avatar. Your very first post will still show 499. And I don't know how many times someone has said "look at the house in my avatar", and they have since changed it to their dog or something...

Yes, I really do understand that the count represents (or should) ALL of the posts I've made, no matter where or on what page or forum I made them. It was when I'd see a different total on various posts (of mine) on the same page that concerned me! I'm not gonna spend any more time worrying about it, but thanks for all the input and help! At this moment, it appears to be working properly.

Jackie, thanks for the information! This sounds like something I'd enjoy but... do you find it hard on your fingers? I also love seeing the fruit of your work -- isn't it a wonderful feeling when you try something new and you find that you are so good at it!!! That's very apparent in your case, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

• Like 1

Sandy, I'm opening myself for embarrassment here, but are you sure you actually posted the posts that you think haven't been counted? I've caught myself typing a post and then clicking on the little red button at the bottom of the screen that sends me back to the top of the frame instead of clicking on the black Post button. Sometime later I'll realize my post never showed up. Doh.

• Like 2

Kathie, I understand exactly what you mean, but yes, I am sure. There have, indeed, been times when I've typed a post but neglected to hit the "Post" button! In this case, however, I was able to see several posts on the same page, each with different numbers!

My screen/page probably looks a bit different than yours, in that I use a Mac, not a PC. The "Post" button appears just below the text window that I typed into (on the right-hand side), and not any further down on the page. My browser page here doesn't have a "Back to the Top" button.

You would/should never have any reason to be embarrassed, nor would I give you one! Yours was actually a good and valid question!

What an awful day, my solo trip didn't happen due to some good old family drama, and I am done having birthdays, it will be better that way. No more let downs or disappointment. And I'm now convinced I was switched at birth.

• Like 1

What an awful day, my solo trip didn't happen due to some good old family drama, and I am done having birthdays, it will be better that way. No more let downs or disappointment. And I'm now convinced I was switched at birth.

hugs_046.jpg