What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Heidi, Muriel - I don't much measure my oatmeal either, but it turns out I'm running awfully close to your recipe, Heidi! My oatmeal nearly always has cinnamon, dried cranberries (or dried blueberries or raisins), with a bit of non-fat milk and either molasses or brown sugar to sweeten - usually throw in a tablespoon of flax seed meal, but skip the walnuts (don't like 'em). Nummers!!!

Sorry you've got a cold, Heidi, but the ginger tea ought to help; one of my favorite herbals is lemon ginger tea, warms you right to your toes. :wave:

I think I had the world's most frustrated cat bashing around the house last night: it rained, rained and rained even harder all night, and Koko HATES the rain and so wouldn't go out like he usually does several times each night. And, of course, he blamed me for it.....kept demanding that I DO something about it!

As far as "winterizing", there's not much I have to do because the maintenance guy takes care of winterizing the building in general, and he's well-started. We're awfully close to having our first freeze here - could get down within a degree of freezing tonight, or tomorrow, or the next night....I've almost got my patio squared away for the winter, have brought in all the coleus to the inside hall growing area by my apartment, as well as the clay pots so that they don't freeze and possibly crack during the winter. Just have to store a few things in the big bin on my patio, shift it so that it's not blocking my neighbor's access to my patio (when the snow is deep, he needs to be able to walk from his patio across mine to get out), and give it a good sweep out there. The snow barriers will be going up pretty soon, I'm sure - and I'm NOT looking forward to that! They are sheets of metal nailed across the length of each patio from post to post to keep the snow off the patio; they are shoulder-high and block off a serious amount of daylight, so it's always a little depressing when they go up. SIGH!!

Seems like we didn't have much of a summer here, and now it's already almost winter again! Tain't fair, I say!

Except for the nuts and milk that sounds like the way we like our oatmeal, except I put just a tad of dark brown sugar on it instead of the molasses, and we have discovered the steel-cut oats, which have a wonderful nubby texture.

Yesterday we joined some of our paddling buddies for a 12-mile trip down the Apalachicola River from just below the dam on the Chattahoochee side to a takeout across from Torreya State Park.

Today we met u[p with everyone SW of Marianna, FL, and headed for Black Springs and Dry Creek, which has to be one of the most beatiful 5-mile stretches of wild water in the state!

I'm totally exhausted, but it's good practice to get ready for the All-Florida Paddlers' Rendezvous in less than two weeks. We didn't find out where it was to be in time to get reservations at Silver River State Park, in Ocala, but we'd stayed there on our way to my highschool reunion and weren't sorry; we found a space at a campground in the Ocala National Forest, instead.

Heidi, that oatmeal recipe sounds fantastic -- will have to try it once the chill officially settles in the DC metro area. (yum!)

Took a break from the minis and started to work on the wedding stationery (mostly the "save the date cards"). Saturday marks the official one year before the wedding. Bryan and I would not have noticed it, if it weren't for our parents sending us text messages bearing (I kid you not) the phrase "one year before tying the knot, kids!" :wave:

Dunno about you all, but it's a little weird seeing both sets of parents being all excited about it than the ones actually getting married. :D

Since Bryan and I are inviting folks from overseas (which will require travel visas more than likely), started printing out the Save the Date cards and inserting them into envelopes. They're designed to be mailed as postcards, but our parents advised we put them in envelopes in case they get lost in the mail (or destroyed during the mailing process). Hopefully our relatives will receive them within a reasonable amount of time, and be able to make the necessary travel arrangements.

Thank goodness, we're only looking at about 8 guests total that would be international! I went to the US Postal Service website to get a rough idea on postage and based on some of the addresses, it's pretty ridiculous! And I haven't even mailed out the invitations yet -- and those are going to be more heavy than just a measly postcard. *sigh*

The only thing I do to switch from summer to winter is when it gets cold enough, switch the central heat/air to heat and set the times on the digital thermostat and I am ready to to. right now we have been opening the windows to sleep at night but then have to close them and turn the air back on for the animals during the day so we can set the house alarms.

Day two of this head cold. I am going back up to bed in a little bit. Fred made cheese grits and sausages for breakfast. I could taste the sausage! LOL

The oatmeal was good. When I was a girl, we always poured a bit of milk in the bowl of oatmeal. It would create a ring around it. I still love it. I have had steel cut oats that I bought at a far away health food store. It is all gone now but we loved it when we had it. Our grocery store now carries dried blueberries, cherries, and strawberries. I am going to watch for a sale and try them out.

Cannot wait to see the maid Gina!

Okay, off I go to rest my weary head.

Heidi-Golden seal and/or Golden seal root teas I have taken for many things including colds.Does taste HORRID-very bitter but we grind it up and put it in capsules.(Just

don't even think of burping!) I've also used it for sore throats.Hope you feel better

soon! :)

And changing over to Winter mode?? Yes,even in Texas we change fan directions,clean

windows,fans,have the central heating unit checked-all for about a month of cold weather! :)

A big Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian Greenleafers! How was your day? Did you stay in or go over the river and through the woods? What did you have for dinner?

Now, this is really not the sort of headline you want to see about the little town you live in!!

ABC News Story About Roslyn, WA

I've said that there is a culture of drinking in this town that amazes me, but THIS is ridiculous! I hope they land big-time on whoever organized this and drugged the drinks....This all happened about two blocks away from where I live, this past Saturday night - I DID hear several sirens going and figured the Brick (a bar down the street that can get pretty rowdy of a Saturday night) had gotten out of hand again. :)

The oatmeal was good. When I was a girl, we always poured a bit of milk in the bowl of oatmeal. It would create a ring around it. I still love it.

I still pour milk around my oatmeal or porridge as we call it over here. Milk around the outside, small dab of salted butter in the middle and very occasionally a tiny bit of brown sugar, but mostly not.

Had a busy day today, saw the nurse at 9 here at the local medical centre, then routine blood tests at 11 in Bristol (20 miles away), eye test in Bristol (absolutly shambollic appointment system), another appointment in bristol at 2:40 and consultant appointment in bristol at 4 (delayed until 5). Boy am I tired!

Think I'll officially complain about the eye test one. Basically had a letter to say appointment at eye hospital at 1. So normally I'd get there around 12:50, but was bored waiting around by 12:30 so went then. Got to the reception area to be told "here's a number, window opens at 1" There were already a few people waiting, so if I'd waited until around 1 I'd have been worse than 20th in line at 1, not appointment at 1! Anyway, was about 4th at 1 and got sent up to another waiting area. Was second then and seen quickly to read the chart and check eye pressure and then have yucky pupil diliating drops put in. "They take about 15 mins to work, so have a seat outside" This was about 1:10. By 1:53 I was getting very worried about getting to my next appointment on time, so asked the nurse if she had a rough guess when I might be seen. She said I was third in line - but the whole time I'd been sitting there noone else had been seen by the doctor and they were getting impatient too. Anyway I stressed to the nurse about getting to the next hospital appointment and she said she'd see what she could do. About 2 she came back and whispered to me that she'd found a doctor and he wasn't happy, but she'd given him my notes and he'd hopefully see me soon. At 2:10 he saw me. It seemed very like there weren't any doctors around before 2 at all. Considering I had an appointment sent for 1, doctors not getting there until 2 is wrong. Slightly more fair enough if they'd said arrive from 1:30 onwards and you'll be seen in turn or something like that. Anyway, consultant at 5 wasn't impressed and strongly suggested I complain, so think I will.

But still got delicious banana bread muffins for dessert tonight! :)

Been painting the single doors and the french doors as well as their trim for the Montclair. All the windows are done. I will be so happy when they are all done. Will be installing the first wallpaper later this week. Still have a few kinks in the electrical to figure out.

This morning I had Cream of Wheat. Every fall I buy a box, but no one will eat it but me.

Yesterday & today I rearranged the furniture in my studio. This is a bigger job than it sounds. I've got all sorts of castoff desks, etc, and some of them weigh a ton, especially DH's old office desk. I cut an old door mat in half and managed to slide the sections under the pedestal parts where the drawers are. That way I was able to slide it around without TOO much trouble. Lifting each end up so I could slide the mats under it was the really hard part.

The room was built & set up for me when I was painting, and the configuration never seemed to work right once I quit painting and started doing dollhouses & miniatures, especially not since dh managed to nudge me into keeping my dollhouses up there too.

Tomorrow I have to sort out all the STUFF. I've been working on the beach house in the basement, since that's where the power tools are, and now I've got stuff in the studio over the garage, in the basement, and in the dining room under the chair in the corner. that's where I stash stuff that's in transit. I never know where anything is!! I've got 3 good pairs of scissors and couldn't find 2 of them, so I had to break out my sewing shears. I searched everywhere for the other 2 but have no idea where I could have left them.

We got word late this afternoon that one of DH's remaining maternal aunts has passed, and the funeral is tomorrow in Sylvester, GA. We are the only one's in DH's mom's immediate family both young enough & healthy enough to make the trip, so we spent the afternoon getting the car gassed and clothes out. See y'all when we get back.

Holly...Sorry to hear about your loss.

My DW was operated on this past Monday for breast cancer. The proceedure took longer than expected, but the doctor feels that he got everything. We have to go back today for the results of the biopsy & to get the info. on the next step. I'll keep you all informed.

Steve in PA

I am majorly crossing fingers, toes, eyes and sending positive thoughts out to your wife today. I hope it turns out to be nothing or if it is something..very very very treatable!

Today I am going to start putting plastic on the windows. I will leave a couple on each floor untouched until the end of October but I want to start getting this done. Leaves are falling but I have hired Natalie`s best bud to clean up the yard this year. He could use the money to pay for gas for his car.

I have a nice sized butternut squash that I bought yesterday. I am thinking I am going to make some soup with it today. Chelsea and I really like the squash soup recipe I found a couple years ago. I think I posted it on here. Maybe I will find it so I can revive the thread.

Happy Thursday all!

Frustrated.!!! well, that about sums it up.!!

My House is a total mess... I cant do anything without bumping into someone... as I am followed all over the house.!!!!!!!!! The dogs got in a HUGE fight today, "Someone" threw a Milkbone out to one of them and they both seen it and went after it.... Hmm, but noone knows why they got in a fight.!!! REALLY !!! I am Frustrated.! Had a yard sale last weekend and sold alot but what did not sell we brought home until the thrift store opened... it was all tossed in my workroom... so I cant go down there and work on the houses.... and I truly never have alone time.!! Halloween decor has not been put up yet... I just dont have the BOO to do it this year and I dont want to fall over anyone again... I just need some ME time and I cant get it.!! I have so much to do this week and the week is over and I feel like I have done nothing.... Everytime I do I just get frustrated.!! I may see if my son wants to help decorate tonight... I would really like to get the totes out of the living room.!!

Kellee

Steve, prayers for your wife from me, too. A couple of my friends are breast cancer survivors, and one just finished her chemo after a short recurrence.

Heidi, we love baked acorn squash.

The last time we hit the Indian grocery store we got into a BOGO on some packaged side dishes that turned out much too heavy on the ghee for our tastes, so I hunted up the recipe online for the one we had last night, aloo palak (spinach & potato curry). Every ingredient is a staple in our house, so I'm making it fresh from scratch tonight (without the ghee!) to see how much better it tastes.

FYI, ghee is the clear part of butter after you remove the yellow solids, tastes great BUT very heavy & oily & leaves an aftertaste...

I am going to make some Bread pudding today !!! Havent had it in years !!! Hubby Loves it.!!

Relaxing and being very lazy today.!! Hopefully next week I will get on the ball and get some things done in this house so I can start working on my Little houses.!!!

kellee

Bread pudding did NOT turn out like I was hoping... but I have another recipe to try.. My Grandmother left 2 recipes in her cookbook.....

Going to pick up my oldest son tonight from school.... He had a Great time in Washington D.C

Kellee

Steve,

Hope your wife has a full and speedy recovery.

I'm relieved my wife's surgery scheduled for Tuesday is only a colocystectomy. The only problem we're having now is our kids are sick. If its only a 24 hour virus and if my wife doesn't catch it, I'll leave them at daycare so I can be with her during her recovery. If she catches it we'll have to re-schedule her surgery.

Jeremy, prayers going out that your children get well soon, and that your wife doesn't catch whatever they've got, and that her surgery goes REALLY well. So far, though I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, I've managed to make it to at least ten years past when every other woman in my family had severe gall bladder trouble - I remember well the agonies my mother went through leading up to having hers out!

Of course, I don't eat near the amount of fat the female generations before me did - having had three heart episodes (with the placement of three separate stents) kinda makes you change your diet LOL. Tonight I'm cooking an experiment: aubergine stew (read "eggplant" for aubergine), and after doing a lot of research online for recipes, I'm sorta winging it - it's safe to call it a Mediterranean/Southern Italian version, and right now it smells heavenly! Eggplant was never big in my family, but I think I've added a brand-new and much loved veggie to MY diet! :)

Thanks Holly & Mary!

Fortunately my wife doesn't have gallstones, just decreased function (23%) unfortunately its been a constant problem since April. Mine was taken out for the same reason (5% function). I guess the difference is once gallstones block the flow you get it taken out, while decreased function comes and goes, so you have repeated attacks until its properly diagnosed.

I'm trying not to nag her, but a lot of the problem is her diet and she won't listen to me when I warn her about the amount of oil and grease she's taking in.

She has been extremely nervous about the surgery because of my close call last year, but we spoke to the surgeon and mentioned all of the concerns that she has. He was very easy to talk to and reassured her that he wouldn't make the same misstakes I went through or send her home too early. When she talks about her concerns she mentions her C-section she had with our daughter, but I'm certain that was far worse than what she's about to go through. After seeing her uterus hanging outside of her abdomen I'm sure this will be a cake walk.

My main worry was the risk of her having a complication during the 50 mile drive home (she's having the surgery in Lake City, FL). The thought of her needing emergency care 25 miles from the nearest medical facility would be an unacceptable risk, but they're going to keep her over night.