Foam Board (foam core)

Miss Elaine

What is the best way or best tool to use to cut foam core board? I have been in the search and cannot find where this has been asked before, so maybe you can help me.

My cuts results in squashed boards, or ripped pieces or bent pieces.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

:)

I also find that it usually takes three cuts to do it smoothly. The first cuts the top layer of paper, the second - the foam in the middle and the third for the bottom layer. And that is if I have a nice sharp blade. I use an exacto, too.

There is a handy little tool called a Foam Board Cutter that can be obtained in your local Lowes, or even online.

Otherwise, the key to a good cut is a steel ruler with cork back, and a VERY sharp X-acto blade...and change the blade as soon as your cuts start getting ragged.

Walmart has a foam board cutter, also, in their school supplies section where they sell the foamcore. I think it's an exacto product. I have to buy another since I lost mine. It has twin blades to do strips and you can take either blade off and it also has an attachment that allows you to do 45 degree angles. If I remember correctly, it only cost about $2 or $3. I also use my exacto knife a lot.

All the suggestions are good and work fine for straight cuts.

If you need to make sharply curved cuts, I suggest using a scroll or coping saw with the finest blade and work very slowly.

It can be done

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

As everyone probably knows by now, my craft knife is a honkin' big ol' Stanley boxcutter/ utility knife that uses the trapezoid-shaped blades so I have two sharp ends to use with each blade. I use a light hand for cutting, so it takes about three passes of the blade to cut through 1/4" - 3/16" foamcore for me, and as soon as I feel the slightest "drag" I change that blade, no matter how sharp it looks.