Space crisis

Anna G

I started with a fold-up wallpapering table in the corner of the garage. Then I cleared DH’s work bench and shelves to make more room for my stuff. Soon another corner was commandeered, and now as I contemplate buying a scroll saw, more space yet will be needed. How much space is enough? It may be soon that the car will be permanently outside ….

Hmmm...

How much space is enough?

Can I get back to you on that?

I have most of my stuff in the craft room, but I outgrew that when I started building the MHM and the Newport. I moved downstairs and took over the dining room (thankfully we don't entertain much). Now I have to look for a table big enough for the Queen Anne, and I'll be building THAT in the living room, which is adjacent to the dining room.

I'm also not adverse to building in the kitchen and family room at times....

So in short, you can never have enough space!

hey, the car is USED to being outside! I haven't yet seen a car driven INside a house, anyway! :) And you're talking about the garage...in my house, there's the dining room, the living room, a craft from, half the bedroom...

I think "how much room" is dependent on what the other inhabitants of the house will allow!

I use the dining room for my workroom after I was evicted from the front bedroom by sons returning home for awhile.

Now, we have no dining table. We do have a Coca-cola table with 4 chairs in the kitchen...but my husband keeps his snacks on that...so it's unusable for eating. We eat on trays on the sofa in front of the TV.

My husband has a huge built in 8'wide x 10'tall china cabinet in the dining room FILLED with Superman stuff...the walls are covered with Superman stuff, there are more shelves filled...he built a shelf over the french doors to the living room and that's filled with Superman stuff...he has a comic rack and magazine rack filled with Superman comics (which, at about 200 comics on display, is only a fraction of what's stored)..

I have an 8' work table on one side of the dining room to work on...the dollhouse is on saw-horses in the middle of the dining room floor. I also have a couple more houses on small tables in the dining room.

The front bedroom has been vacated temporarily...but that room is also where he stores all his guitars and amps.

I've told him a hundred times...we need a BIGGER HOUSE!!!!!

I have taken over the whole house. While the basement is still in disarray, I have a table in the family room for building and houses in various stages anywhere there is a flat surface. I am taking out the upper half of a wall so I can put 2 houses on a shelf between the 2 rooms. We don't have that much company over anymore, so maybe if I get rid of the loveseats and switch to 2 chairs, I could fit 2 more houses in the extra space.

• 2 weeks later...

One of Parkinson's Laws states that work expands to fill the time allotted for it (and overflows, too!); so I'm sure it extrapolates to include the dimensional space, as well. Using a dining table for eating is overrated.

I guess Im in the minority over here because I dont need much space to build. Of course, I dont have power tools or any tools really...:) All I build on is my long kitchen counter, an office chair and a box of craft supplies and Im done. When Im not building a house everything is put away in a closet and no one would ever know where in the world I build all these houses at. :flowers:

My diningroom is where everything is right now..Waiting for the chicks to fly the nest..I want Natalie`s room! ROFL

I have a armoire filled with stuff (it closes so you cant see it) and a tall bookshelf filled with stuff. I use the diningroom table for big houses and tv tables for small houses. I like to work on things when I am in front of the tv.

*The one who dies with the most miniatures..Wins!*

started with a card table... bought an 8' craft table... still use the card table... built shelves in my laundry room... built 2 more shelves in my launrey room... eye balling the guest room... not there yet...but it will be soon!

I have a large part of our (fortunately) large basement. I have an area of about 45 feet x 14 feet -- and it is not enough :) Of course, it does contain 10 dollhouses and my work area -- so maybe I'm the problem :flowers:

Seriously, though, I think this hobby is just an expanding universe of its own.

:banana:

It may be soon that the car will be permanently outside ….

Well I was running out of room, so I took my big house to my sisters so my niece could play with it (and they could store it!)... but then they decided to move 3 months later, so had to go pick it up again. It stayed in my car for at least a month!! Only got moved out of the car again when I was going back to my sisters and niece was going to need to sit in the back with her chair.

Hmmmm, we're moving in summer, a garage is actually a great idea to look for for my house building.... (honestly, who cares about the car?!?)

Muriel :)

I have an old table in my junk room, but for larger than half scale I'm not sure if it will work. Have been thinking of moving to the living room. I also have been thinking serious that a two bedroom condo is way TOO small, and I need to get a larger place.

There is NEVER enough space! Every single room in our house has something "crafty" going on! If I'm not crafting something in that particular room, then it is used for a display or two, or storage. LOL Don't worry be happy! We don't have a garage, and even if we did, I'm sure the car would still be outside.

Oh, I feel right at home here! We only have a tiny kitchen and living room to work in. I remember when we used to be able to sit on the chairs, and eat at the table!

That's why most of my stuff is in a huge unheated barn about 8 miles from my house. It's really bad when I try to bring too much stuff home for the winter, it leaves us with only a arrow path to walk through at home!